Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-05-2017, 11:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Rambles from Kristin ;)

Does it ever hit you with scrapbooking how AMAZING it is that you are leaving a legacy of your family and history for generations to come? Not everyone is going to have this.. it's so special <3
Old 01-05-2017, 11:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Totally agree... though my family don't seem that interested in looking at the books I make. Maybe that will change when they're older but for now its more for me!!
Old 01-06-2017, 12:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes!! I hope my kids love it someday. Or maybe their wives... Or my grandkids!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 01-06-2017, 12:04 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

SOMEONE will.. maybe not our kids.. or grandkids.. maybe our great grandkids?! hahaha
Old 01-06-2017, 12:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I sometimes think about how little I know about my grandparents when they were younger and how I wish I knew more. I'd like my grandkids to know more about my life but man...I feel like I don't have quite the stories that my grandparents surely had. Just because of the changing times and all the stuff they had to live through. But I suppose I've seen my share of history being made, too. Someday I should scrap about how it was, living through some of the more historical moments in time.

(I can get rambly too! lol)

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 01-06-2017, 12:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My grandmother left behind 40 scrapbooks of her life dating all the way back to when she met my grandfather. Apparently she wasn't sure about him because he was "wolffish" which is what they called a player back then. That was definitely not something that had come up in conversations before.

This was what I wrote about her scrapbooks the week of her funeral: http://www.nettiodesigns.com/2012/08...ng-your-story/
Old 01-06-2017, 12:38 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
Totally agree... though my family don't seem that interested in looking at the books I make. Maybe that will change when they're older but for now its more for me!!
I am with Kim on this one
Old 01-06-2017, 04:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do it because I want to. Not everyone is able to see how important or good something is at the moment. But I see it -- I just see someone enjoying it...some day and thinking "wow, she did a good job! It's so interesting to see all those past moments"
--
Mama to Albert
Old 01-06-2017, 09:42 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any pictures of myself or my husband from when we were young. I don't want my children to be able to say the same thing. I hope that when they are older and start having children of their own they can see the real value in my scrapbooking.

I always tell them whenever they roll their eyes at me because I want a photo that they will thank me someday.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
I don't have any pictures of myself or my husband from when we were young. I don't want my children to be able to say the same thing. I hope that when they are older and start having children of their own they can see the real value in my scrapbooking.

I always tell them whenever they roll their eyes at me because I want a photo that they will thank me someday.
I could've written this almost verbatim! Being the second child, there are way fewer photos of me than my sister, something I'm super salty about. There aren't even photos of my high school graduation because my mom lost the roll of film!

I think this is part of the reason why I'm obsessed with taking photos and keeping memories. I want my daughter to look back at all the fun times and special little moments we shared, and I'm thoroughly convinced she'll thank me one day for taking all those photos, even though she complains about them now!
Old 01-06-2017, 10:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have very little photos and written memories of my childhood so I am excited to do this for my kids!
Old 01-06-2017, 12:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I could've written this almost verbatim! Being the second child, there are way fewer photos of me than my sister, something I'm super salty about. There aren't even photos of my high school graduation because my mom lost the roll of film!

I think this is part of the reason why I'm obsessed with taking photos and keeping memories. I want my daughter to look back at all the fun times and special little moments we shared, and I'm thoroughly convinced she'll thank me one day for taking all those photos, even though she complains about them now!
Me too! My kids do love the books now -- mostly because they're all about them! I know they probably won't want to haul 20 books around with them as young adults but hopefully it's a record of our lives for whoever may be interested in the future. One question is how will digital stuff get into the hands of future generations?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
Me too! I've been keeping diaries and recording stuff since I was seven. No one else seems to get into it at all.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think our kids are going to wish they had more pictures of US, so I try to be intentional about scrapping me & Joel. I would SO LOVE a scrapbook of my grandparents or parents!

My MIL just died, and it is such a TREASURE to me that I have 12 years worth of layouts with her and my kids! And when I look back at some of my older albums, they are a treasure to ME! I So many things I would have forgotten if I hadn't written them down!
Old 01-06-2017, 06:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I think our kids are going to wish they had more pictures of US, so I try to be intentional about scrapping me & Joel. I would SO LOVE a scrapbook of my grandparents or parents!

My MIL just died, and it is such a TREASURE to me that I have 12 years worth of layouts with her and my kids! And when I look back at some of my older albums, they are a treasure to ME! I So many things I would have forgotten if I hadn't written them down!
<3 <3 <3

I have GOT to start getting in the photos and letting go of some huge insecurities. I'm really bad.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It probably will be more of "OMG, MOM! Why did you scrapbook a photo of me sitting on the toilet! and for heaven's sakes - don't show my girlfriend!"
Old 01-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love it, but I also have to wonder how much my kids will actually appreciate all of these millions of pictures of them. There are so few pictures of me as a child that I really treasure each and every one of them. My kids take having pictures of themselves for granted. Sometimes I wonder if I document too much... you know? I mean, is that really a thing? Too much? LOL I wish I had documented more from when I was younger, like when I was in my late teens and early 20's. I don't remember much about that time. Its sad because I remember being 10 years old way more than I remember being 19.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love people with my words so, yes, I do hope that one day they will see that every layout I make is a love letter to them.

Everyone should be unabashedly ridiculously unconditionally loved by someone. I hope my kids understand, through my pages, that that is how I feel abt them.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:12 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I agree on that, and it feels soo good!

And i also feel a little proud that i once gave my grandma a empty book. She didn't knew what to do with it so i e3xplained her about scrapbooking. Because she was alone in a retirement home, she was making cards a lot or crafting other things. When she died, i recieved that book back and i felt so emotional to she scrapbooked a lot of photo's of the whole family. not using real scrapbook stuff but using magazines.

This is what scrapbooking and memories can do, and that why i'm doing it
Old 01-08-2017, 09:38 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've been thinking about this subject a lot lately. I am a very prolific scrapper, and I usually print three photobooks per year at 100+ pages each, and I also print separate vacation books. Sometimes when I am placing orders or trying to finish things up, I wonder if maybe I am including too much, spending too much, scrapping too much. But then I go back and look through the books from past years, and the thing I always find myself saying is that I am SO GLAD I scrapped those pages. I never see one and think, "Oh, I shouldn't have scrapped that. That was dumb." I'm always profoundly grateful to have that page. I find that I forget little details after a year or so, so I am glad I capture all the silly little things and the important big things too. My son and nieces and nephews enjoy the books now, and I hope they will appreciate them when they grow up, but for now, this is for me. This is the way I process and celebrate my life.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:51 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It is amazing! My dad passed away when he was only 25, and I was only 2, almost 3. What I wouldn't give to have scrapbooks from when he was growing up. All of his family is all most gone now.

I really hope my children appreciate it. I wish I was better at journaling, but at least they have the pictures.