Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert
Default Homeschool encouragement, support and/or advice.

I haven't been around much in awhile, but I know there are a lot of home schooling moms around here, so thought it would be a good place to post. I have recently decided to homeschool my oldest this year. He is starting 2nd grade. My main reason for choosing this is because I think it would suit Elliot's personality and that I could possibly give him so much more than he is getting in public school. We had good experiences with kindy and 1st grade, and loved both of his teachers. But class sizes are becoming so big and there is so much distraction, that I feel our time could be so much more productive being taught at home. He has been accepted into a charter school program so curriculum and some extra curriculars are covered financially here in California, but still my husband isn't 100% on board, mainly because he thinks I don't have the best organizational skills, and then he gets me wondering if I am doing the right thing, mainly because Elliot was doing fine at his public school. That question always brings me back to, yes he's been doing fine, but I think we can do better. I guess, what I am looking for is some encouragement or advice from those who have experience with homeschooling.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I always go with that you are the mom and you know what is the best for your kids... and you can tell you hubby, I'm a hugely unorganized person and I homeschool!! I guess what you can do is try it for a year - or even 1/2 a year... and if it doesn't work out for you, you always have public school to go back too.

I was the person that when J was 9 months old, I was researching charter schools in my city and had it zeroed down to two... then when he turned 4, my hubby asked if I thought of homeschooling and I was very unsure because I wasn't the most organized person. The more I read on getting started and we went to a couple of conferences, the more I thought about it and thought, why can't I teach my son? I've been teaching him from birth already... and since I've graduated college, I shouldn't have problems with first grade course work, right? So, we tried it last year for the first time - Kindergarten - it wasn't easy, it was hard for me to get into the flow and someone would get sick and we would be distracted... but at the end of the year... what my son learned, is amazing!

We are both excited for the new year... and if J had his choice we would have started first grade back in June, the day after we "finished" Kindy... haha... I also love that when he takes off on something... we can go with it.... and build the "learning" around that topic of interest... like right now he is excited about space so we got a ton of books at rummage sales on space and he cut out and colored (all by himself) a solar system that is taped up on the wall and he is busy adding moons to different planets and the asteroid belt...

I don't know now many years we will be homeschooling... but I'm loving it so far!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me!!

Last edited by MamaBee; 08-04-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm right there with Rebecca. I'm so disorganized. But we're super eclectic and it works well for us. DD always learns, and we love that we can really focus in on something that she's interested in (right now it's Civil War, Chemistry and Mythology). She's 7th grade now and we've always homeschooled. I don't see us ever stopping. She's learned that lifelong learning is so important from her daddy and myself and I love it. It's hard at times, yes, but oh so worth it if it's what is right for you and your family.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

Thank you Rebecca and Sarah. Makes me feel better. Every time, I have the conversation in my head with, "Why are you doing this?" My response is always because I think it's the best thing for him.

Locally I don't have any friends or family who homeschool, so most people question me about it rather than support. I have found quite a few groups who meet multiple times a week, so I am looking forward to meeting and getting to know people who do in my area. Thanks again.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Sorry I didn't have time to chime in earlier, but I homeschool also and definitely want to encourage you to give it a try!

I agree that you can definitely make better use of his time! It amazes me how much quicker we can accomplish our school work (1-2 hours a day for Kindergarten) and move on to other things like exploring nature, meeting with other homeschool families for lunch playdates, hobbies, and field trips. We take lots and lots of field trips. I love that we can do school work whenever it fits our schedule. We can vacation as a family in Fall when school is in session. We can go to the pool or park all morning when it's gorgeous outside... and then do school in the late afternoon during the rain storms (this is a Florida thing). We have the time & freedom to explore the things the kids are interested in. We can dig in deeper and learn more. I can talk with them all day about all sorts of things they are thinking about. Our learning never stops.

It's especially great for boys. Ben has learned to read in my rocking chair. He loves to always be moving. Sometimes we do school on the floor in the family room. Sometimes we bring a blanket to the park and do school there. He can do some math... then swing on the swings. It's awesome. I think he learns faster & better when we don't always feel tied to a desk and chair. So, remember that. That concept of sitting silent & still and doing work at a desk is no longer needed in homeschooling. In fact, sometimes I play music for Ben and he has a snack with him when he is at our school desk.

I think you are so brave and amazing for stepping out to homeschool even when you seem to be 'alone' in it. Definitely take advantage of the groups around you. They will be good support when you hit tough spots (because it will be hard at times).