Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-11-2020, 02:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Been scrapping a long time, what DON'T you do anymore?

Next month will be my 15th anniversary for digi, and my kids are all getting older. My youngest is 7, he still does cute things and lets me take pictures freely, but I was looking at some of the new releases that are coming out this week and it go me thinking about the types of layouts I don't do anymore.

Rarely will I do a layout with just one or two photos on it.

I don't do the cute themed layouts I did when my oldest was little, like scrap 2 pages about going to get ice cream, it'll be one picture in my end of the month wrap up.

I don't take my big camera out anymore, unless it's Christmas or Halloween. Sometimes birthdays. We are hoping to take a road trip this summer to replace our canceled cruise and I bought a new lens for the first time in years.

I don't stress about getting the perfect photo.

I don't get to use all the beautiful kits I want to, because I just don't have enough photos anymore.

What don't you do anymore?

Last edited by nesser1981; 06-11-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I never use a big camera anymore. Our recent trip to Universal I only used my phone. My phone camera is better than my point and shoot and I prefer it. My boys are 10 and almost 16 so I find myself looking for ways to take pics so I can capture the day to day, which can be hard. I can go a week and never take a picture. My oldest is pretty good about helping me remember to take photos and even taking photos when we do things.

Our trips though I take THOUSANDS! My kids were trained at a young age mom is a scrapbooker and you better pose! LOL They love posing for pics and taking pics. On our trip to DC in 2018 I had them both take pictures with cameras and put them in the books. The youngest kiddo's pics weren't great but I found ways to put them in the pages and it was fun. I had pics of him taking pics of himself...We also usually travel with my MIL and FIL so I grab her pics too. She helps get ME in the pictures. We travel a lot so I still use a lot of the fun themed kits and I am way behind on my scrapping so I still need some of the kid kits but eventually I won't need them either. I am hoping with this quarantine that I can get a lot scrapped since we won't be doing much traveling.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:58 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I don't scrap for anyone except myself now. I used to have a ton of creative teams and do tons of challenges which was fun, but lots of times I ended up with pages that I don't need for myself.

I don't use my big camera hardly any more either. I didn't even take it with on our last vacation. My mom asked me take some portraits of my 18 month old niece and I realized the last time I had used it was when she was born other than a couple of events that people still pay me to photograph.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I answered on FB too, but...

I don't compare myself (scrapping style) or layouts to other scrappers any more. I scrap for me, my family and the creative release. I do what I want with the photos, supplies etc I have.

I also thought of this one too: like above I don't take out my big camera anymore either. Hardly ever, unless some type of vacation or big event.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I answered on Facebook, but you are one who needs to see this too...I don't attend scrapbook get togethers/parties anymore!

I think we need to have a Great Lakes area weekend getaway! We each put in money to rent a house for a weekend, and we just scrap! Chat, scrap, snack! That would be so much fun!!!
Old 06-11-2020, 09:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

16 years as of March for me. It's crazy that it's been that long (and that I have a 16 year old!)

I don't scrap traditional (non-pocket) pages with small photos anymore. My layouts these days are one of two kinds. Either they're pocket style weekly layouts (and occasionally pocket style layouts of events) with lots of small photos or they're traditional 1-2 photo layouts with big photos. My kids are 11, 14, and 16 now. I don't take nearly as many photos of them, so the few I do take get scrapped big. Back when I was swimming in photos of their early childhood I never did 1 or 2 photo pages, but now I do a lot of them.

I don't buy many of the themed kits I used to. Nothing cutesy, no summer pool layouts, no Halloween or pumpkin patch pages. I guess it's not that I never scrap them anymore, but these days I'm probably only doing one layout each year with those themes so I don't need a new kit for it.

I still use my mirrorless camera, but I take a lot fewer photos when I do. Since quarantine started I've had it out for Ben's birthday, Mothers' Day, and the last day of school. But these days I ask the kids to pose for a handful of photos and then respect their wishes and put the camera away; years ago I would have taken hundreds of special event photos throughout the whole day.

I don't do monthly challenges any more. I have specific things I need to scrap and certain ways I want to scrap them; I have no desire to adapt my plans to fit challenges. I do sometimes do special event challenges, but they tend to be things that help increase my volume of pages made in a short time.

I don't share many pages to the galleries or social media. I used to post challenge and CT pages, but I'm not doing many of either anymore. I spend too long tweaking layouts that I share, not to mention keeping track of credits and doing the actual posting. I scrap faster and stress less if my layouts are just for my family.

Last edited by rach3975; 06-11-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:16 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't take my big camera out any more either.
Since I have an iPhone, I use the camera on my phone. I like the quality of the pictures it takes.

I only scrap vacations and yearbooks. I don't scrap anything else.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:17 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
Next month will be my 15th anniversary for digi, and my kids are all getting older. My youngest is 7, he still does cute things and lets me take pictures freely, but I was looking at some of the new releases that are coming out this week and it go me thinking about the types of layouts I don't do anymore.

Rarely will I do a layout with just one or two photos on it.

I don't do the cute themed layouts I did when my oldest was little, like scrap 2 pages about going to get ice cream, it'll be one picture in my end of the month wrap up.

I don't take my big camera out anymore, unless it's Christmas or Halloween. Sometimes birthdays. We are hoping to take a road trip this summer to replace our canceled cruise and I bought a new lens for the first time in years.

I don't stress about getting the perfect photo.

I don't get to use all the beautiful kits I want to, because I just don't have enough photos anymore.

What don't you do anymore?
If you want to use beautiful kits and you don't have photos, maybe you can scrap photoless layouts. Put down your thoughts or feelings and scrap them with those kits you don't have photos for. That's what I do and it works for me.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
I answered on Facebook, but you are one who needs to see this too...I don't attend scrapbook get togethers/parties anymore!

I think we need to have a Great Lakes area weekend getaway! We each put in money to rent a house for a weekend, and we just scrap! Chat, scrap, snack! That would be so much fun!!!
That would be awesome.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not on creative teams any more, so it's rare that I post the same layout to more than one gallery. I also don't post every layout online that I do--I love my pages when I'm not worrying about what anyone else will see.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That's a fun / interesting question to think about....

I don't do separate albums per kid anymore like I did when they were really little. Now it's just a yearly album (I figure if the kids want copies I can just print the albums multiple times).

I don't take nearly as many photos in general... kinda also switching my gears more towards pets / wildlife / scenery since the boys are teens and besides holidays it keeps getting harder to get many different photos.

I try to stay away from kits that are 'too themey"... there's always a need for some in my collection, but I try not to purchase a kit just because of a theme if that makes sense.

Kits I absolutely LOVED that I had no photos for I still purchased and either made a point to dress the kids/family and go out and do something to match the kits.... they are wise to my tricks now, so I don't get away with it nearly as often as I used to lol

I definitely use more pocket pages than I used to.... I used to do like 4 or 5 pages to get all birthday photos scrapped, or all day trip photos scrapped..... now I prefer to do 1 or 2 pages and pack as many photos as I can on.

I'm sure there are other things I no longer do that I'm not thinking of right now....
Old 06-12-2020, 09:54 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I made my first digital layout 15 1/2 years ago.

I don't make layouts from scratch anymore; templates only.

I don't dress my kids up for photos based on the kits I have (though that is mostly because they won't cooperate).

I don't scrapbook every day; sometimes I even go weeks without making a layout.

I don't apply for creative teams; it stresses me out to feel responsible for creating layouts.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:23 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes to all of these.

I haven't created my own layout in years. Only templates. And before I got my new laptop and covid business, It would be months and months before I'd scrap. That's why I was years behind. That makes me twitchy. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I made my first digital layout 15 1/2 years ago.

I don't make layouts from scratch anymore; templates only.

I don't dress my kids up for photos based on the kits I have (though that is mostly because they won't cooperate).

I don't scrapbook every day; sometimes I even go weeks without making a layout.

I don't apply for creative teams; it stresses me out to feel responsible for creating layouts.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's been 10 years since I came to the Sweet Shoppe, but had done a few digital layouts (terrible ones!) before that.
Things I don't do....
*Collect all the freebies I can find
*Visit all the stores for new products, I typically only shop here
*Post every layout I create
*Worry about perfection or only printing the "happy" side of life,
*Scrap or even photograph a lot of the every day/little thing that happens
*Take as many photos with my big camera, although that's a goal
*Scrap chronologically, I now have so many unfinished "years" I may never get caught up. I finally printed baby books from 2010 this year, so I have about that many more to go. But life has changed so much, it feels weird printing books that have our "old" life in them. Although I want to have them eventually for my kids to have, it just doesn't feel necessary to print them right now.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:17 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I don't take my big camera no more. I have an iPhone too and I really love the quality of the pictures. it's easier to take picture because the phone is always in my pocket ;-)
me too, when I begun to scrap, soon 8 years ago, I searched freebie. freebies and freebies again. now, I'm part of wonderful creative teams and scrap for amazing designers.
my style has changed too. at the beginning, I tried to put leaves, big flowers and made bog clusters and today I'm a clean free style scrapper, lol
Old 06-12-2020, 04:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

One thing that helped me feel "finished" was to make a folder of my pictures that is a copy...I do this so as I scrap the pictures I delete them and as the folders get empty I can delete that month/year/event etc. I don't have to worry about messing up my original photos that are neatly saved away where nothing can happen to them. It feels good to delete and move to the next task. Now my big problem is PRINTING. I have hundreds of layouts that need printing but I am cheap and keep putting it off. I have printed with Persnickity prints in the past and try to buy when they have sales bc I prefer the pages instead of books but I can't make a simple book. Mine always goes over the number of pages.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would love to do more of those types of layouts and I think I will eventually. I have a "to do" list of other types of things I want to do, but I have to get my regular stuff caught back up. Almost there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar View Post
If you want to use beautiful kits and you don't have photos, maybe you can scrap photoless layouts. Put down your thoughts or feelings and scrap them with those kits you don't have photos for. That's what I do and it works for me.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I haven't scrapped in 5 years! ackkkkkkkkkk things so far I haven't stressed over
1. I have to scrap every picture/event/celebration
2. I don't have to scrap ALL of the pictures for said event and make 10 LO's, I can make just 1 with the best pics and call it good
3. I don't do 2 page spreads.....I use to make ALL of my LO's (even if a different subject or event) 2 pagers so that they would be matching pages when I printed them
4. I also haven't had my big camera out any many years, still had pictures from Abby cheerleading in Jan 2015 on my SD card and I just recently took it out again and it felt good...but my hubby's phone takes amazing pics (as does mine, I have an iphone 8+ but he has the newest Samsung and his images are AMAZING!) so usually I will just take his phone when we are out and take pics with his and mine and pick the ones I like best LOL!
5. I don't worry what face or what my background looks like, I just snap away as that is life...it's not perfect!
6. ohhhhh I use to have an "UNUSED" folder and tried to use something from that folder before I bought something new...NO MORE.....I found homes for all those UNUSED kits and am going forward and scrapping pics and THEN picking the kit that matches! no more stressing over having photos that math a certain kit!
Old 06-13-2020, 09:55 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It's been 15 years for me.

I don't take pictures specifically for kits anymore. I used to spend so much time dressing my kids up or planning activities around the kits I wanted to scrap with.

I only take pictures with my phone. I haven't had my big camera out in a couple of years.

I have become super exclusive with where I shop. I only buy from SSD and occasionally TLP. I used to know the new release schedule for just about every digital shop around. Now, I don't even know what other stores exist.

I am super selective with CTs. I stick with designers that fit my scrapping style. I don't push myself to meet a designers specific style any longer.

I am rarely successful at completing a full month's worth of challenges. I used to participate in all of the challenges every month. It was easier when I scrapped every day, but now I go days, weeks and sometimes months between pages.

I'm sure there is a ton of other things that I can't think of right now.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't do clean&simply anymore. That used to be my style but now it...the more elements, the better.

My phone camera is my go to camera for sure. Love how easy it is to snap a photo just like that. My Canon DSLR has been neglected for years. Yickes

I am not allowed to take photos of my son anymore so I am 'forced' to use older photos all the time (no fun). I do have 2 adorable little nephews (1 & 3 y ears old but I am not allowed to use their photos for layouts..oooh, that's just killing me. I would have so much new material to scrap with !! LOL

Oh, no more collecting freebies for sure. I used to have tonz but I realized I really didn't use them. I only collect freebie templates but only if I really like it and know 100% for sure that I am going to use it or freebies that are a little add-on to a kit that I already own. Then I'll download it too.

It's been 15 years for me too. I love that so many of us have been scrapping for so long
Old 06-17-2020, 07:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmm.... 13 years digital... 20 years if you include paper scapbooking.

- I don't use my big camera, every photo used is on my phone and up on google photos

- I don't print out individual layouts and put them in 3D ring binders... when I have 190 some layouts for a year, I print them out... so what if vol 3 has a layout in January when most are starting in October.

- I don't make my photos match the kit, I make the kit work for my photos/memory

- I don't just stick to one style, I like to try different things

- I don't try to finish albums before starting new, I just create where my mojo sends me

- I don't do much hybrid - that one I'm sad about. But my son is 13 and doesn't need cute things any more
Old 06-17-2020, 10:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Back in the day, when templates were first "invented," I thought they were cheating and purposely never used them! Now it's rare for me to make a page without one.

I used to make lots of super-feminine pages for my daughter when she was little. Now she's almost 11 & no longer interested in princesses and pink and unicorns and flowers (except for reading about them) so the only time I make super-feminine pages is when I'm scrapping myself.

I used to scrap very slowly (see #1) and take a few hours per page which included lots of element clustering. Now my pages take less than an hour & while I have some elements, it's not nearly as many as I used to use.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post

- I don't use my big camera, every photo used is on my phone and up on google photos

- I don't try to finish albums before starting new, I just create where my mojo sends me

- I don't do much hybrid - that one I'm sad about.
This is me too. I miss doing hybrid, and keep telling myself I'll do some next week, but there never seems to be enough time in the day anymore.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:07 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I don't scrap enough
I think I got like you said, tons of pictures of just daily stuff and it overwhelmed me feeling like if I took the picture, I have to scrap it right? So now I've got over 100 pages per year to scrap (I know to some that doesn't seem like a lot ) and I'm on 2014! It really bogged me down. I have found it VERY helpful to use the templates with LOTS of photo spots so I feel like I'm getting more done and doing some month recaps so get the month scrapped faster! Goal this year: get 2014 done!

I do think I'm overall taking less photos too. I realize we photograph TOO much sometimes, or at least realize, not all photos are worth scrapping.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Monthly recaps have been a game changer for me, because I always wanted my pages to match, so if I had one cute photo, I'd try to make layout work and try to figure out then how to turn it into 2 pages. It wasn't a good use of time or memory keeping.

Project Life is too much for me, I feel like that will make me take too many photos I don't actually need. Now, maybe when my kids won't let me take pictures at all, that will be a good fit. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegCreations View Post
I don't scrap enough
I think I got like you said, tons of pictures of just daily stuff and it overwhelmed me feeling like if I took the picture, I have to scrap it right? So now I've got over 100 pages per year to scrap (I know to some that doesn't seem like a lot ) and I'm on 2014! It really bogged me down. I have found it VERY helpful to use the templates with LOTS of photo spots so I feel like I'm getting more done and doing some month recaps so get the month scrapped faster! Goal this year: get 2014 done!

I do think I'm overall taking less photos too. I realize we photograph TOO much sometimes, or at least realize, not all photos are worth scrapping.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

16 years digital, 22 years scrapping...

I don't scrap anymore! LOL Nah, this is temporary....

I don't take as many pictures of people. I take the majority of animals now.

I don't pull out my big camera often.

I scrap about myself much more often.

I don't journal about what my kids thought about something if they are old enough to remember the experience on their own.

I don't share as many layouts because people don't need all my life details.

I don't stick to one style any more.

I don't scour the internet for freebies and download every one I can find. I am super selective about what I download and use.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
Back in the day, when templates were first "invented," I thought they were cheating and purposely never used them! Now it's rare for me to make a page without one.

I used to make lots of super-feminine pages for my daughter when she was little. Now she's almost 11 & no longer interested in princesses and pink and unicorns and flowers (except for reading about them) so the only time I make super-feminine pages is when I'm scrapping myself.

I used to scrap very slowly (see #1) and take a few hours per page which included lots of element clustering. Now my pages take less than an hour & while I have some elements, it's not nearly as many as I used to use.
YES! I used to feel like templates were cheating as well and I didn't use them. Now it is rare that I don't. I consider them my page foundation and begin with a template, even if it is unrecognizable when I'm done.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ive been digital scrapping for about 10 years.
I don't compare myself anymore to other scrappers instead i admire their work but am happy with my style too.
I don't get as upset over call rejections now and find I'm OK with not being every designers cup of tea. I use to take rejection so personally and now I realize I scrap for me first and the style I like might not fit all designers likes.
I don't take as many pictures as I use too because I rely on my grown children to pass me their photos to scrap most the time.
I don't frequent all the shops I just follow 2
I no longer grab every free kit out there, I'm very picky now and only collect what I know I'll use.
The only thing I'm still very consistent on is recoloring clothing in photos or changing to sepia or black and white to match the kit, I'm a tad OCD and it drives me insane when the photos do not color match the layout.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:31 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Digital scrapping for 12.5 years. Started scrapping with CM in 1999. But I used to put things in other types of albums since high school.... had a whole book of wedding announcements from newspapers and another of newspaper articles about a cousin's high school football career.

I do use a big camera 99.9% of the time. Either my T5 or my other 2 smaller Canon cameras. Only time I use my phone camera is to take a picture of something I see in a store.

I scrap for me, no one else. I very rarely do challenges because there are certain things I really dislike (paint, sprinkles and washi tape being the top of my list) and a lot of challenges require those. I also don't longer post my layouts in any gallery unless I do a challenge.

I am not fond of art journaling, mixed media or pocket scrapping at all. I'm more of a clean and simple scrapper using templates. Big fan of templates from day 1 of my digital scrapping.

I do force myself to take at least 1 photo every single day so more of my photos are boring and mundane but it is interesting to see what life is like in retirement and now the pandemic.