Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Default How do you Organize your scrapbooks?

Forgive me if there is a post somewhere on this... I saw a post on organizing photos, but didn't find one on this =) Feel free to direct me to another post if there's already one.

I'm curious how everyone organizes their scrapbooks? How many scrapbooks do you have? I seem to be a little bit of a memory-keeping-aholic, and I've gotten a bit behind in just about every album, and finding myself overwhelmed at the thought of catching up and saddened at the thought of possibly not being able to keep up once caught up.

I have 4 girls, and each of them has their own album (I use the 12x12 D ring leather albums from we R memory keepers I think is the brand). So each girl has their own album (which once I get caught up will probably be 2 albums each) and each has their own separate "birthday album".... so that's 8 albums right there (make that 12 once I get caught up...sigh)

Then we have our Project Life albums. One for last year, one for this year. Then we have a family album (which should be several of them but I am even more behind in those).

I know everyone has their own knack and different things work for different people. Guess I am curious to know how other people do it, what works for you? Where do you keep your photos that are of ALL of the family doing activities? Do you add them to your family scrap book or just pop them in a regular photo album?

Old 01-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I am pretty new to digital scrapbooking but have been scrapbooking the old fashion way for many years. I am curious to see what other responses you get as I am always looking at was to be a little more efficient as well. So far I have a few different scrapbooks.

1. My Daughter (I only have 1) has her own book. From the day she was born I scrapped so she has MANY pages from her ultrasound picture to her most recent acceptance into college page.

2. My military scrapbook that has all things to do with Air Force and military travels/deployments and awards. I recently got married to a fellow Airman so I have incorporated a few of the pages I have done for his service in there.

3. Family vacations & travel has its own

4. Legacy Cookbook is a cookbook that I have recipes from my great grandmother, grandmother, mother, myself, my daughter and hopefully future descendants.

5. Generic Album that gets everything that doesn't go into the others. From our pets, and holidays to a new house, and random pages.

Hope that helps.
Again I'm looking forward to others answers
Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for your response!
Totally forgot we have an Army Scrapbook as well. It's more "my husbands" though, for his promotions, awards, deployments, etc... I do the scrapping of course but its to keep his memories for him

I like the generic album idea. I think I have a problem with organization and not feeling organized, but thinking a generic/random album might be better than being obsessed with having a specific album for everything lol! (might be a little OCD here, don't judge me! haha)

Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'm currently working on a Christmas book, which will have all my christmas pages from this past holiday! I like the idea of having a book for christmas so we can always look back and see how we celebrate each year, but this is my first attempt!

I'm so far behind on scrapping that, so far, this is the only real album I am working on, though I have printed two books (one for each of my girls) of random pages I have done about each of them. I generally just toss a bunch of layouts I haven't printed yet into a book everytime i get a free shutterfly book This works for me until I get more organized, and get more stuff scrapped!

I'm no where near ready to scrap Project Life, though I do take a ton of everyday pictures of my kids (average about 500 a month!), I just haven't gotten around to getting much scrapped yet! It is my goal for this year (going for one page a week, at least!) to get enough pages done to start doing some yearly albums! And I'll probably make a birthday book too, since all our birthdays are in the same month! And of course, I'd love to do a baby book for each girl, but I wasn't the best at "documenting" things when they were babies, despite the fact I took tons of pictures! I was niave enough to think I would just magically remember all the details! Funny how it doesn't work that way! haha

aka Chaoticlilshadow
Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a few different albums:

Project life - 2012 and 2013, plus I'm working backwards to get my photos into albums

I'm working on getting some photos and memorabilia into albums for my 2 boys who are both in middle school. Based on the amount that I want to put into the albums, I should have four albums each so far (baby, preschool, elementary, and middle school). I'm not putting a lot of pressure on myself with these albums, though, because I have tons of layouts about the boys in my LOM albums)

Library of Memories - Stacy Julian's system of organizing layouts by theme rather than chronologically. I have four LOM albums, Us, People We Love, Places We Go, Things We Do. Stacy is teaching her Finding Photo Freedom class (all about workflow and LOM) at Big Picture Classes in February. This is where the majority of my 12x12 layouts go.

I also have several themed albums like military for me and my husband, wedding, travel, and heritage.

I like the way that Project Life works for documenting the "smaller" stories in an easy manner, and the stories with more photos and journaling are in my LOM albums. Since the LOM albums are arranged by topic rather than chronologically, I'm never "behind" on them
Old 01-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Oh yeah, I also have December Daily albums for 2011 and 2012. They are smaller (one 8x8 and one 8.5x11). I love having those little things I love the idea of a Christmas album, all in one, for all years too!

LOM - LOVE that! I have never heard of that, so thank you for sharing! That may work better for me I'm definitely going to be looking that up after I post this lol.

I take SO many photos, it's ridiculous to not have them in albums for us to actually enjoy. That's my big goal for 2013 as well, get them printed somehow and into an album - somewhere lol.

When does shutterfly send out those free coupons? I am signed up with them and I receive emails from them, but I never seem to get free photo book ones *sad face*

Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to mnm_y2

I think I have my system down at least for now I am happy with it. I still have my books to organize and layouts to print as this was something I started focusing on this past year. I use 8x8 ring binders.

- Christmas Album (christmas layouts through the years)
- Brothers Album- layouts of my boys through the years. (currently pregnant w boy #4)
- My sons: Each one has their own album for layouts JUST about them. this includes sports, school, holidays etc. anything that the layout is just about them.
- My album - This is my newest album and one that still needs organizing, but I've started sections: Pregnancies, DH/I, Childhood, AAM, etc. as the sections grow, I will probably make these their own album
- Yearly Family Album - everything else .. in chronological order by year. Family birthdays, celebrations, random house day to day stuff.

I am still not sure what I want to do with my Project Life stuff. I have some years I've done monthly reviews, other times I have done about 1/2 the year in layouts ... so I don't know if these will stay in my computer until I finish a year and print them as a book, or if I should just print them and stick them into my Yearly album (or another album).... this I'm still debating.

Then I have some stuff I have finished and gotten into bound books
- Baby's First Year
- Preschool Year
- Vacation
- Weddings
- Family Reunions

I've been scrapbooking digitally since 2006.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have several of the 12 x 12 leather 3ing binder albums from when I paper scrapped - these are all generic family albums but mostly center around my daughter from birth through age 5 or 6. They also include my wedding album and my Book of Me album.

I got a digital camera when DD was about 6 and I switched to digital scrapbooking shortly after that. Now I do photo books in 7 x 7 size from Persnickety and I love doing them this way. So much easier to store and less bulk, etc. I have our yearly photobooks with events of our lives throughout the year. Then I have separate books for big vacations like WDW and our upcoming trip this summer. I also have an ongoing of my granddaughter, which I think I will end and print up when she turns 4 in April. I have tons and tons of photos of DS that I dont' know if I'll ever get to (he was about 13 when I started paper scrapping and I've never done an album of him) but those photos would have to be scanned so that's for another lifetime when I'm not so busy
Old 01-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmarcy View Post
When does shutterfly send out those free coupons? I am signed up with them and I receive emails from them, but I never seem to get free photo book ones *sad face*
The most recent coupon I got was from the Cabbage Patch we got one of our girls for Christmas! It's random when they will send you a good deal for a free book via email, and most of the ones I have gotten have been through retailer's promos. Like, when we got our xbox, new laptop and a computer last year through Best Buy, I ended up with a free shutterfly book with each purchase! I also noticed, the more purchases you make through shutterfly, the more special deals they send you, and through the holidays I get so much stuff I can't even use it all! AND I still have a little one in diapers, and use Pampers codes for more free stuff

aka Chaoticlilshadow
Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I have a ton of albums!!! Let's see

1 for me
1 for me & DH
3 family albums
2 for DD #1
3 for DD #2
3 for DS #1
2 for DS #2
1 for DS#3

3 for December Daily
1 for Month in Review

1 for Project Life

When I scrap a page that only has one kid in it, it goes in their album. If the page has more then one kid in it it goes int he family album. Pages about DH or about me & Dh together go in our album. Pages about me go in my album. The month in review will not "grow" after I finish 2012 (3 months left to go) because I'm replacing that with Project Life. I print everything 8x8 and put them in 3 ring binders except for PL...it will be printed 12x12. I also have a few photo books I have printed but they are small....probably less then 30 pages each. I have a 3 shelf bookcase in my living room that I keep them all on. They get looked through daily. Which warms my heart very much!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Oh and I DO NOT scrap chronologically nor do I print or "store" my pages chronologically!!! I just scrap what I feel and stick them in a book!! for instance in my oldest book (she'll be 15) there could be a layout about her when she was 2 and on the facing page a layout about her from last week!!!

I didn't start scrapping till 2005 and I already had 3 kids......there was no way I was catching up and it's more important to me to have memories printed and in a book haphazardly then being chronically behind and having nothing to show for it!!

The only thing that is and will be done chronologically in my Month in Review pages, my December Daily pages and my Project Life.

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone for all the responses! Love hearing what works for you

Can someone break down what DH - DD - DS are? I always see DH in reference to a husband, is that correct? Never seen the other 2 abbreviations used I speculate Dear Husband Dear Daughter Dear Son, but maybe not.... haha

Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmarcy View Post
Thanks everyone for all the responses! Love hearing what works for you

Can someone break down what DH - DD - DS are? I always see DH in reference to a husband, is that correct? Never seen the other 2 abbreviations used I speculate Dear Husband Dear Daughter Dear Son, but maybe not.... haha
You have it right
Old 01-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Haha, now I feel silly for asking! I was posting the question and trying to guess it, and decided to post it anyways because I didn't think that could be right! haha.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I pretty much do what Elizabeth does....and I can't stress over scrapping chronologically either...I do have about 10 paper scrapbooks of numerous years and will eventually finish my paper scrapbook of 2007.....

I have printed my Project life for 2010, Dec Daily 2010 & 2011, a cruise album for my DD (19), a graduation album for DD (19) and a Paris album for her (she traveled with her grandma to Paris for graduation).....

I do have a Halloween Album that I eventually want to print (Halloween is always a big thing for us..well mostly me )

I do have folders that say 2012 Abby/Ben/Sam/Peyton but they are just pages I scrapped in 2012 (none of them are in chronological order), but this year I started a 2013 folder for each of them, a Me folder, a project life and one way or another everythign fits in those folder

eta: I do upload every so often, but I am not as good at getting them printed LOL....and depending on the size of the album I either get them printed in books or have them indivudally printed (I had one Dec Daily printed individually and put in a book and the other I had printed hard bound and I love the both the same!)

Last edited by nun69; 01-26-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am probably the odd one out, but I do things much differently. Our kids don't have their own albums!

When I started digital, I quickly realized that one of the big advantages of digi is the ability to print multiple copies of the same layouts. However, I also know that at this point in our lives, there is no need. We all live in the same house and can enjoy the same albums. So, we ONLY have family albums. No matter what kind of layout I create, I add them to our family albums. I don't scrap chronologically, but I do put them in our albums chronologically. Each year has 1-2 albums and as I scrap them, I add to the appropriate album.

With five kids (and one on the way!) there is no way I could or would do individual albums. Right now, these pages are the story of our family, not about an individual. Yes, there are pages that are just about one child or another, but that individual story/layout is part of the larger story of our family. I want our kids to see us as a unit rather than as a bunch of individuals.

Now, as our kids get older and move out of the house, I am happy to print any any all layouts that they might like to keep. I am sure they won't want all of them, so we can just go through and choose the ones they want to create a custom album(s) for them. My guess is that it will be mix of pages about them and pages about life as a family and with siblings.

It works for us...it accomplishes the goal I have of telling the story of our family and the people that are part of our family. Each one is prized and cherished, just as are the relationships between us.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Pretty much exactly this! Except, I do scrap chronologically. And I do photobooks, rather than albums. I do have a separate first year album for my 2 older kids, and our Disney album from DD's Make a Wish trip last year is separate, but otherwise its all in the same album, broken up by month/year. I try to do 3 or 4 months of the year before I print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Phillips View Post
I am probably the odd one out, but I do things much differently. Our kids don't have their own albums!

When I started digital, I quickly realized that one of the big advantages of digi is the ability to print multiple copies of the same layouts. However, I also know that at this point in our lives, there is no need. We all live in the same house and can enjoy the same albums. So, we ONLY have family albums. No matter what kind of layout I create, I add them to our family albums. I don't scrap chronologically, but I do put them in our albums chronologically. Each year has 1-2 albums and as I scrap them, I add to the appropriate album.

With five kids (and one on the way!) there is no way I could or would do individual albums. Right now, these pages are the story of our family, not about an individual. Yes, there are pages that are just about one child or another, but that individual story/layout is part of the larger story of our family. I want our kids to see us as a unit rather than as a bunch of individuals.

Now, as our kids get older and move out of the house, I am happy to print any any all layouts that they might like to keep. I am sure they won't want all of them, so we can just go through and choose the ones they want to create a custom album(s) for them. My guess is that it will be mix of pages about them and pages about life as a family and with siblings.

It works for us...it accomplishes the goal I have of telling the story of our family and the people that are part of our family. Each one is prized and cherished, just as are the relationships between us.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I only have yearly binders for everyday photos... and I don't scrap in order, either... haha... so the just get thrown into the binder and sometimes I get ambitious and put them all in order... however, I'm way behind on that... I should also set up a binder for the layouts about me... those that I really don't want my kiddo reading about... you know the, scrap therapy ones?

If it's a "project"... PL or P365, December Daily, A week in the life, vacation... those all get printed into photobooks.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

i do have some albums i am working on and i am doing it this way:
for pl i scrap my page(s) every saturday, sunday latest. i try to be up to date. okay, we only have week 4 now but i know that i will be overwhelmed if i get behind on this.
to make me look forward to this i scrap with different kits and colors every week. i only have one color per month that i am sticking to.
i also have started a monthly review with small and easy pages that i want to do at the end of the month. i use very simple basic templates for that and use only one kit. makes it as easy as i can. takes me 2-3 hours for the whole month.
with every other book i am creating, i keep it slow. i do pages in challenges when it fits. i have about 6 ongoing books that i have in separate folders.
in december i did dec daily and created a calendar. this was a lot to do at once and it was in december. of course there was nothing else i could accomplish in that month. if i would do dec daily again, then in a much simpler approach with basic templates and huge photos and only little embellishments. it's just too much to do an artistic layout AND the photos every day and keeping up.
i was happy when december was over :-)

hope i wasn't too off-topic...
Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I print photobooks annually. For the most part they are in chronological order, but there are some exceptions. Each book has 100-200 pages and I print copies for myself, my mother, my MIL and my FIL.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here are my albums:

DS - I have one son and create a yearly album for him of his specific activities: birthdays, school, playing, sports, fun personality type pictures, etc... I've started doing these as photobooks because I scrap my DS chronologically.

DH - starting in his childhood and up to current events, new jobs, hobbies, etc..

Me - starting at childhood and up to current events, hobbies, personality items, activities, etc...

US - family album of trips, moves, cars we've owned. This one starts after DH and I got married!

Journal - a personal scrapbook of my personal musings, art journalling LO's, diary, feelings, reflections, etc...

Grandparents - I have one album for each of my DS 4 grandparents. Starts with a geneology story, old family photographs, then baby pictures of each grandparents and what they were like as children. I add to this occasionally when I have a 'poignant' photo that shows a particular trait about a grandparent that I want to scrap.

I personally don't do Project Life. But I do create small mini albums of our vacations for my son. These also include ephemera (like park brochures and postcards) from our travels. These are for his personal use and he keeps these in a small box in his bedroom.

Last edited by kristijoy; 01-27-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:54 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I used to do an album per child; it made sense to me then since I started scrapping when I had only 1 baby. But as we added to the family, it got to the point where more than half of my pages were printed multiple times to go into each child's album. So 2 years ago I switched to 1 family album, and I like that so much more. Sure, I like not having to get each LO printed 3 times, but I also like looking through the albums with my kids and having them all represented. It tells our family's story better than separate albums did.

I don't scrap chronologically, but I have 1 album per year and just add pages to the appropriate album as I print them. This year I've started Project Life. I love it because I have a home for the photos and stories that until now have just sat on my computer, the ones I didn't want to devote the time to making a whole page about but didn't want to forget either. I'm planning to keep both PL and my regular pages in the same 2013 album.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Interesting to have them all combined and not make separate ones... Our family ones have alot of everyone in there (obviously). But I personally love the individual ones as well. I include family in their as well but point it towards the specific child. For example, we have LOTS of sister photos. If I do a page digitally, I'll change the wording but use the same photos and point them towards that sister. For instance the littlest has a page with pics of her and her big sisters loving on her, and it says how much her sisters love her and things they did to make her giggle because they loved her laugh so much. And the older one has the same page but writing that states towards her - how awesome of a big sister she is, how much the baby loves when she reads stories to her, etc... Love the idea of having the family stuff altogether, but also love celebrating each child individually It is becoming alot to keep up with after have 4 though lol.

ETA: There will probably be less and less of the individual albums as they grow out of the baby stage I am sure. Thanks everyone for sharing!! I am really loving those digital books posted above... might have to go that route starting 2013 and up for our family ones!

Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to mnm_y2

I am currently pregnant with my 4th boy and just recently switched to having an album for each boy. They are 9, 7, and 4 and they LOVE this. they sit there and look at their own book.

They also like the "Brothers" book although I have to scrap & print some pages of all 3 because I have a lot of just the first 2 but not that many with the youngest lol.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:05 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I can't wrap my brain around albums that are LOM-style or just for individual members of the family. Even though I don't scrap chronologically, I organize and print that way and just do one album for each year.

Hubs and I started dating in 2007. I have enough of 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 done to print them as completed books; it's just expensive. I like the look of a photobook vs. separate pages in a scrapbook, so that's what I do. I am doing PL pages this year, but will have them printed along with my 'regular' scrapbook pages in a photobook.

I do a separate December Daily album because I love Christmas. I would also consider doing a separate vacation mini-album.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:47 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

For the most part I scrap chronologically or at least I scrap what's current. Occasionally I will scrap older pics, but if I don't it's not a biggie.

I tend to put everything into annual albums -PL or other "what's happening in out lives now" type projects go into the same book or album chronologically.

I do have a seperate album for my BOM -which is a journal type book. Also I have a "Notes to my Daughter" album which is filled with little peices of advice and knowledge I want to pass down to her.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I scrap randomly, though I am mostly 'caught up' as it were, minus old family photos pre-1980 & like Janet & Vanessa I don't do individual albums.

I do have one book of layouts just of the boys from birth to 3 years ago. I made it for my dad's 70th birthday & ordered a copy for myself.

I have a small AAM album from a class I took and photo books of layouts from 4 years of Journal Your Christmas & last year's A Week in the Life.

I have photo books of 4 years of P365 projects that are strictly photos with any layouts I might have done with the photos. I don't scrap all my P365 photos, I just use them at random.

Once every couple of years or so, when I find a good sale & have some extra money, I'll put together a book or two of layouts.

I do have two albums that I'd started to use for each of the boys but I haven't printed out individual pages in 3 years as I prefer books. Someday I'll print out their individual layouts & put them in the albums but I don't see the need for it yet.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Another photo book girl. I scrap as I'm inspired, but print chronologically. (Spreadsheets bridge the gap.)

I only do family albums. I figure down the road if they really want copies, I'll just reprint...

I do 1-5 months per album, depending on the page counts. I've been at this for almost 5 years now and have 16 albums printed. There's two more that are 90% done and probably a dozen more that are in progress.

Sometimes I get overwhelmed about being behind, but then I remind myself that the creative process can't be rushed. The pictures are selected, the journaling is typed, I'll get the pages done eventually....