Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb
Default I'm back :)

Hey loves, sorry to leave you hanging all weekend.

So like I said, we went up to NY this weekend to tell my family that we're having a baby. It'll be the first grandchild for both sides, so every is crazy excited. My mom got held up at work on friday afternoon, so we were DYING. She got home and had crazy work stories to tell, so we patiently listened. She noticed right away that something was going on with me. I've had stomach issues for a few years, and when my stomach is upset, I burp a lot. This morning sickness is all day and killing me, so I'm burping all the time. So she asked, and I tried to pass it off, and Jordan was giving me the "WTF are you waiting for???" look. So I told her I made something cute, and I thought she might like to take a look at it.
So I gave her the explosion box, and she oooh'd and aaah'd over it. And I told her to take the lid off it. She took it off and barely peeked inside before gasping and jumping up and down and squealing, lol. Then she screamed for my Dad to come upstairs and made him open it, lol. He wasn't quite so animated about it Then we called my sister (who just moved to Cleveland) and she flipped out too. Jordan told my brother the next day while I was visiting a friend, and he was all excited too.

So, our immediate families now know. We're waiting to tell the rest of the family until after my first appointment on friday.

I will most likely be asking for an anti-nausea script on friday too. Nothing is workingggggggg for this all day morning sickness. I'm exhausted from fighting the urge to vomit all day long, it's miserable Bland food doesn't stay down, water upsets my stomach, none of the "tricks" seem to be helping. Ginger ale didn't help much, but Jordan's gonna get me ginger cookies today to give them a try. If this lasts for the first trimester I've still got 6 weeks or so to go, and I def won't be able to take this for that long without some help.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Aww, sorry about the ms, Colleen - I had the all day stuff, too, but could never vomit So I was begging to vomit just to get a few brief moments of relief, and it never came. What did help me, though, was Yogi ginger tea. You'll find it in stores that carry natural foods or a wide variety of prepackaged tea. That and doing something like adding ginger to as much food as you can. Getting it in the most natural state possible helps tons. You can always try some ginger candy, too!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

awww... how exciting!!!

sorry about the ms though
Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

sorry about the morning sickness, but your news is so exciting!! YAY!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:35 AM

profile gallery send pm

The vomiting doesn't even give me relief, unfortunately.

I'll def look into that tea Darcy, thanks. Jordan's gonna get me some ginger ale, ginger snaps, and ginger candy today. Ginger is pretty much my last hope at this point, lol. Today has just been really really bad. I've been sick 4 times this morning, which is much more than normal. And the morning is the worst because my stomach is empty so there's nothing to vomit but stomach acid. I've managed to keep down 2 pretzel rods in the last hour, so there's some hope I suppose.
I just pray that it doesn't last my entire pregnancy. I know God won't give me more than I can handle, it's just hard to remember that sometimes in the middle of this.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

so glad things went well with the fam, col!

i had the all day ms too...with no vomiting. i prayed that i would vomit to at least give me some relief, and never got it. hopefully you find something that works.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

awww, colleen. ): i hope you get relief soon!

but i'm glad everything went well with your family. it sounds like everyone is super happy for you, which is awesome.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Banned

profile gallery

Oh sorry about the ms. I hope too it will pass.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

what a great story to tell!!

I'm sorry to hear about the morning sickness... Prego-pops helped some of my friends... might be something to try... I think you can pick them up at a baby store.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

couple of suggestions....keep crackers by your bed and nibble a few when you wake up in the morning before getting out of bed.

Also for me, water was the devil but I needed to stay hydrated so seltzer became my friend. try it, the bubbles help.

HUGS
Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

so sorry for the MS, but so happy that your family is all excited!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How fun to tell your family! I thought that was some of the funnest parts of being pregnant, telling everyone! Especially if it's the first of both sides of the family!!

Sorry you're so sick! I was kinda like Darcy and just nauseous, without ever vomiting. With my first, I found that I mostly got sick/nauseous when I was hungry (although I didn't feel hungry). So I just nibbled on crackers (like one here, one there) or ginger cookies all throughout the day and it helped.

I found that I felt the worst when I either had an empty or very full stomach. So keeping something in it, but not too heavy was the key. Don't know if that might work for you?

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 07-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So glad your family is so excited!!

Bummer about the horrible ms I've heard good things about the preggo pops too. I really hope you find some relief soon!

Old 07-11-2011, 10:16 AM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaandjudah View Post
couple of suggestions....keep crackers by your bed and nibble a few when you wake up in the morning before getting out of bed.
I've tried this, and it doesn't help. I've also tried waking up earlier and then laying there and eating crackers, and then sitting up and eating more crackers, instead of just getting right up and out of bed. Didn't help. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kresta View Post
I found that I felt the worst when I either had an empty or very full stomach. So keeping something in it, but not too heavy was the key. Don't know if that might work for you?
Yes, this does help. I have to be really careful not to eat too much. Eating all day long helps, but not a ton.

::shrugs:: Like I said, I've had stomach issues before, so I think it's just a bad combination of the morning sickness on top of that. My mom had the all day morning sickness with my sister, but only for a few weeks, so I'm hoping that I follow in those footsteps.

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts though guys
Old 07-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I couldn't wait to hear how your family took the news. I could almost feel the excitement when you posted your Mom's squeals. How cute. I'm so happy for you and for them.

I never had morning sickness, just extreme migraines with Ethan, but someone told me (somewhere) that if you boil ginger root in a little bit of water and then drink it, it clears up whatever ails you, stomach issues for sure. They said it was disgusting, but it works. Might be something to try?

I hope it passes soon for you though love.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Congrats again! Sounds like your family was thrilled for you! <3

Sorry about the ms - hope you can find something that works for you. *hugs*
Old 07-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboutique View Post
...but someone told me (somewhere) that if you boil ginger root in a little bit of water and then drink it, it clears up whatever ails you, stomach issues for sure. They said it was disgusting, but it works. Might be something to try?
Actually it's a matter of taste. I use this when I'm sick or ill and I love the taste. I sometimes drink it just for the pleasure of it even if I'm well. :-)

And congrats, Col. Hopefully you can find something for the ms or it just goes away somehow.

Last edited by adrianka; 07-11-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have delicate stomach and with my first I was so sick. It was stress of a bad job and planning a wedding on top of morning sickness. I tried everything too. Ginger, crackers, sea bands. I finally got the script from my dr. and it was the only thing that helped. Fortunately second trimester hit and it went away. Hope things get better soon.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

Telling people the wonderful news was one of my favorite parts of being pregnant! It's so exciting!!

Sorry about the MS. Totally sucks. But as miserable as it is, you'll get through it. Hope one of the ginger goodies Jordan brings home will help!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I get really bad MS called Hyperemesis Gravidum ... I have to take meds to function at all when pregnant. I did a combination of zofran and phenergen this time that seemed to help.

For me protien helps more than carbs, but not straight meat. I snacked on cheese a LOT. I had a steady supply of string cheese. And bean & cheese burritos LOL
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

((hugs)) girl...that nausea is the pits. The gingersnaps helped me more than the ginger tablets or ginger ale. Hopefully they will help you out, and HOPEFULLY this will only be a first trimester thing for you.
I had it all 39 wks, and later on in the pregnancy chocolate milk was my nausea beater.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Congrats!

MS is the worst! Another idea to try is to quit your prenatal vitamins and try something else. My prenatals made me soooo sick my first pregnancy. I only threw up on the days that I took them. I switched to a double serving of Total cereal (which I ate before getting out of bed...it didn't completely take away the nausea, but stopped the vomiting). This last pregnancy I found gummy prenatal vitamins (they have them at Walmart and Target). The only problem with them is that they don't have iron in them, so I ended up taking an additional iron supplement because I was anemic. As much as I hated Total cereal by the end of that first pregnancy, I felt like I ate healthier and had much more energy than when I was taking prenatal vitamins this pregnancy. And I wasn't anemic. Granted, every pregnancy is different. Just offering my experience to see if it'll help you! *hugs*
Old 07-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Aww, that's so exciting Col! Your mom's reaction is so cute!

I'll admit I'm a bit a bit bummed that one of my fellow kid-free Babes is now joining the mom-club because obviously I have no advice for you, haha. Hope you can find some relief soon!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is wierd....but Big Red Cinnamon chewing gum helped me. I usually don't like that much Cinnamon, but pregnancy is strange!!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Congratulations, Col!! How exciting!
Sorry about the MS...blech. I hope it passes soon!

Penny
Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

So happy for you Col!!! Others might have mentioned this already (I haven't read the thread) but I needed Zofran (I actually to the generic version since my insurance covered more of those pills called Ondansetron and it was a god send *BUT* it constipated me sooooooooooo bad!!! TMI alert here but I had to take 3 to 4 stool softeners a day and drink 3 glasses of Metmucil a day and even then it was still terrible....I had to make sure I went everyday or it was so so bad.......before I knew it would do that to me I almost ended up in the ER because of it!!!

So just be careful if they prescribe you the zofran....it was totally worth taking all the stuff to not be totally incapacitated with morning sickness!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad everyone is so excited!!

Sorry about the all day MS. It sucks. I had it with my second. And unfortunately - it lasted all throughout the pregnancy (don't throw things!) but the up side - I still fit into all my pre-preggo jeans up until a month before E was due.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I've been wondering about you!! Glad the visit went well.

FYI, I called my dr last week (my appt isn't until next Tues), and they called me in some zofran. Might be worth a phone call to the nurse if you don't think you can wait til Fri!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So exciting about telling your family!

The morning sickness is a pity, I had also terrible one with both my kids. I always had to laugh that it's called MORNING sickness, when it lasts all day. Ginger didn't help me, too, the only thing that helped a little was that I froze cola into cubes and then sucked them. And, when the day comes, you wake up and no sickness - that's an awesome thing.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

How exiting! Congrats again!

When you go for your apt. make sure to ask for the RX prenatal vitamins that have a coating, it's like vanilla or something. I had those, they smell so much better than the average vitamin. I think they even had extra vitamin B to help with nausea. The whole purpose was to be easier on those with morning sickness. I had nausea the first trimester because I was on hormones and it helped, no way I could have choked down a stinky iron smelling vitamin. Peppermints and Prego Pops helped too. Hope it passes soon!

Happily creating for Two More Days and Guest for Little Butterfly Wings June & July
Old 07-11-2011, 12:55 PM

profile gallery send pm

Thanks guys

Sorry Lynnette!! LOLOL!! Hopefully I won't abandon my non-kid scrapping ways completely

I got some Yogi Lemon Ginger tea at Walmart. They didn't have the plain ginger, but I figured it was better than nothing and worth a shot. I also got ginger ale and ginger snaps, and I picked up a big package of peppermint Tic-Tacs, which seem to be helping a little bit here and there. I just need a smidge of relief, you know? Thankfully I haven't gotten another migraine, I had one for 4 days last week and that was absolute torture. I can handle 1 or the other, but both at the same time had me in tears. I should be able to power through until friday's appointment, so hopefully some of this stuff helps.

I won't throw anything at you Steph, lol. I'm mentally prepared to have to deal with this for all 39 weeks (though definitely not without complaint, lol). Anything less than that will be a sweet sweet bonus, lol.

How's your script working Libby? Are you feeling better?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:56 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomi View Post
And, when the day comes, you wake up and no sickness - that's an awesome thing.
This sounds like heaven right now, lol. I really hope I get to experience this.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:57 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
So happy for you Col!!! Others might have mentioned this already (I haven't read the thread) but I needed Zofran (I actually to the generic version since my insurance covered more of those pills called Ondansetron and it was a god send *BUT* it constipated me sooooooooooo bad!!! TMI alert here but I had to take 3 to 4 stool softeners a day and drink 3 glasses of Metmucil a day and even then it was still terrible....I had to make sure I went everyday or it was so so bad.......before I knew it would do that to me I almost ended up in the ER because of it!!!

So just be careful if they prescribe you the zofran....it was totally worth taking all the stuff to not be totally incapacitated with morning sickness!!!
Thanks for this warning hon. I'm already pretty constipated, so that definitely might happen to me too if I end up on zofran.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so excited about the anticipation of a squishy cuddly bab for you but i agree, the morning sickness sinks. I eventually had to be admitted to the hospital with two of my kids for the nonstop vomiting and dehydration. Hope it doesn't come to that for you hon

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 07-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i hope something works for you. ms is not fun.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

no fun!! I hope you get some relief soon.

Someone mentioned this, but my prenatal vitamins totally made me sick with my second... I stopped taking them for 3-4 months. Apparently it's the iron in them that makes it all worse. Can't wait to learn about the little one!!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I should also mention that if pre-natals are making you sick but you still want to take something. My aunt in law is a OB/GYN and she has said just to take 2 Flintstone chewables in place of the prenatal.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:50 PM

profile gallery send pm

Some days the prenatal vitamin helps (it's the B-6 dose in it I think), but it doesn't seem to really make it worse at all. I just try to take it at a time when my stomach isn't CRAZY angry, lol.

The ginger snaps seem to be helping, a little bit anyway. So that's something. (*knocks on wood*!!!)
Old 07-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad everything went great!! How exciting for everyone that this is the first grandchild!!! YAY!

Sorry you haven't been feeling the best. I had morning sickness horribly with my
2nd...threw up morning, noon and night...had all day sickness for about 16 weeks. It started the day I hit 6 weeks (Thanksgiving Day)!! I lived on waffles b/c they tasted ok coming back up....gross I know but I had to eat something. I took Target brand pre-natals b/c the prescription ones made me sick and I also took them at night. I tried ginger snaps, crackers, ginger pop, the motion sickness wristbands...nothing seemed to help. I was teaching at the time and missed so many days of school b/c I couldn't even make it to the car without throwing up.

Then 16 weeks came and it was like I was never sick. I was so scared when I got pregnant with #3 and #4 b/c I didn't want to feel like that ever again..thankfully I only had m/s with #2!!!

I hope you find some relief soon!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I wore sea bands throughout my entire pregnancy. They helped with the nausea quite a bit. Didn't make it go away entirely, but I noticed I felt a lot worse if I wasn't wearing them.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sorry you're feeling so sick. I had all day nausea for nearly 4 months with both kiddos so I know exactly how you feel. I threw up a lot too but was nauseated all day and all night. Nothing helps except to keep a little food in your stomach all the time. You may not want to eat, but you'll feel worse if you don't.

My doc would never give me anything for nausea..I don't think many will unless you have severe vomiting/dehydration stuff going on. He was always quick to tell me that morning sickness was a good thing b/c it usually means a healthy pregnancy. I usually felt like punching him in the face when he'd say it lol.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:52 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
My doc would never give me anything for nausea..I don't think many will unless you have severe vomiting/dehydration stuff going on.
my OB was the same. boo on that! I was working while pregnant with Logan and everyday on my way to work I'd pull over and throw up a few times. Exhaust and gas fumes really got to me. I always had a change of clothes with me in the car and all my oral care stuff in my purse all the time.

Good luck on getting rid of the morning sickness, Col! Hope something works for you!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:53 PM

profile gallery send pm

Yea, I'm definitely working on constantly having a little something in my stomach. It for sure helps, as long as I can keep it down.

Oh man, I'd totally want to punch him in the face too Nikki! LOL! Even worse that your dr was a man and couldn't relate even a little bit!

It's funny, because everyone keeps asking me how many pregnancy tests I've taken. I took 1 after I was already a week late, and it said "pregnant" in under a minute, lol. I said "well considering my boobs are HUGE and painful, I'm throwing up all day long, and I still haven't gotten my period, I'm gonna say it's a pretty safe bet that I'm pregnant and don't need to take another test", LOL!
Old 07-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I hope you get relief from the morning sickness soon! It's freaking awful!!
Old 07-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
Yea, I'm definitely working on constantly having a little something in my stomach. It for sure helps, as long as I can keep it down.

Oh man, I'd totally want to punch him in the face too Nikki! LOL! Even worse that your dr was a man and couldn't relate even a little bit!

It's funny, because everyone keeps asking me how many pregnancy tests I've taken. I took 1 after I was already a week late, and it said "pregnant" in under a minute, lol. I said "well considering my boobs are HUGE and painful, I'm throwing up all day long, and I still haven't gotten my period, I'm gonna say it's a pretty safe bet that I'm pregnant and don't need to take another test", LOL!
I had seen so many negative tests that I just had to balance it out a little so I took 4! Plus the blood test at the Dr. office!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So happy for you!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
It's amazing how fast those symptoms can hit! I was clumsy, nauseated, swollen and sore, and forgetful within a week of conception (acc to the date the doctor figured out anyway). My PG test turned positive within 20 seconds...it wasn't a surprise to ME, but it was to my hubby who had told me that he'd know I was pregnant before I figured it out. Guess who had to eat crow? LOL
Old 07-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Col, I had really bad ms with Rae, it lasted the whole time. I was prescribed Diclectin, which you can't get in the US, but it only semi worked. I was so nauseated, I used to lie on the bathroom floor and wish for someone to come and shoot me. With a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 year old, it was no fun.

What worked for me was salty potato chips. I don't know why they worked, but we have a flavor here called Roast Chicken. And I don't like them normally, but when I was prego with her, it was the only thing I could eat that didn't make me sick, and I craved them so bad. Strange. But being pregnant is strange. You'll see. LOL
Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
But being pregnant is strange. You'll see. LOL
You're really selling this whole pregnancy thing.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
You're really selling this whole pregnancy thing.
if you hurry there will be a little Nettio a few weeks after the little Swerb!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe