Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny
Default Psst... FOODIES!

In need your help. I am hosting Christmas Day dinner at my house this year and it just hit me that I have exactly one week to figure out my meal, shop for the food, and prepare everything. I need ideas on what to prepare. I want something pretty traditional, and DEFINITELY something uncomplicated. What is your tride-and-true go-to recipe for turkey? Mashed Potatoes and Gravy? Vegetable casseroles? Dinner rolls? Desserts?

There will be 10 of us. Six adults and four kids (most of whom are older kids). How big of a turkey should I get?

HELP!!!

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 12-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sounds fun!

You MUST make these rolls (SO easy - no kneading!): http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...ding_required/

I always make this for a delicious, different take on corn (it's SO good!): http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Scalloped-Corn/Detail.aspx

I have tried every single recipe here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...giving-dinner/ (just made the crisp last night) and they are all amazing. That chocolate pie is to die for!

Also, if you are looking for a delish app, these are always a HUGE hit for us: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Crab-an...ms/Detail.aspx and these are good too: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peppero...ms/Detail.aspx

Let us know what you decide to make! I love to talk food! Good luck!
Old 12-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

we do beer bread and spinach dip {from tastefully simple}...we also do chips and salsa....deviled eggs....little smokies...artichoke dip {warm and cold}...we do such a traditional Thanksgiving dinner that we kinda switch it up at XMAS..MY MIL usually does a ham but we have lots of stuff to snack on so people can visit, open gifts and just enjoy hanging out
Old 12-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

LOL, well, I take the easy way out and buy a Butterball smoked turkey...all I have to do is heat it up. And since the breadmaker wasn't working the last time I tried it, for Thanksgiving I made some of Sister Schubert's yeast rolls (freezer section @ Walmart)...OMGosh so good.

I just made these mini cheesecakes for a party last weekend...easy, quick, and YUMMY.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm making this as a pudding for Christmas this year. It looks very easy and definitely yummy.

I think what we call double cream is what you call heavy cream - though someone please shout if I'm wrong.

I've taken a recommendation from the forum here and treated myself to Pioneer Womans book, which is new out over here - so I'm going to be dipping into that for New Year.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We do all of the standards: Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, G. Beans, etc.
But I do LOVE this cranberry relish - so easy to make and I always get tons of compliments and requests for the recipe. And you can make it ahead of time!!!

Penny
Old 12-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Jenny - I'd go with a ham...and buy it from a ham shop. It'll save you a lot of grief (though it's a big pricey), and it's a nice take off from Turkey from Thanksgiving.

Turkeys are SO easy...here's the recipe I use (you can make up the spice mix ahead of time (and do it x4 or x5 and have enough to roast some chickens, too to store for later). X2 is enough for a big turkey.

The general rule about turkey is 1lb per person.

You can do mashed potatoes up early and freeze (or even keep in the fridge for a few days) and just reheat.

And there's nothing wrong with asking your guests to bring food to the day - no sense in making yourself crazy by trying to do it all, and never enjoying the holiday.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

Thanks girls! And Darcy, thanks for spelling it out for me. I like being told what to do in this situation because I'm clueless. Luckily, my MIL offered to bring some food so that'll help!

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 12-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

My husband just bought our traditional "prime rib." And we are having it tomorrow!!! so excited! This is the recipe he uses to make it and it always comes out sooooo beautiful and delicious. Though for us 125 degree meat is too rare for us (last year it was mooing). So we cook it til its about 135-140 instead. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html

Also I have a great easy recipe for the california blend veggies.

Cheesy Vegetable Casserole

1/2 lb. American cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 bag 16 oz. cali blend veggies (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots)
1 cup (about 30) crushed butter crackers

Prep:
Cut cheese into cubes. Place in a saucepan with 1/4 cup butter. Heat over med. until melted and smooth, stirring often. Place vegies in a 1 qt. casserole dish. Pour cheese mixture over and mix well. Melt remaining butter, stir in cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 mins. Serve at once.

My Sis in law makes the best Frog Eye Salad that must be made the day before.

Frog Eye Salad

1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 cups pineapple juice
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 quarts water
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 package (16 oz) Acine de Pepe
3 cans (11 oz.) mandarin oranges drained
2 cans (20 oz.) pineapple chunks, drained
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained
1 carton (9 oz.) non dairy whipped topping

Prep:

Combine sugar, flour and one half teaspoon of salt. Gradually stir in pineapple juice and eggs. cook over moderate heat, stirring until thickened. Add lemon juice. Cool mixture to room temp. Bring water, remaining two teaspoons of salt and oil to a boil. Add pasta. Cook at rolling boil until pasta is done. Drain pasta, rinse with water, drain again and cool to room temp. Combine egg mixture and pasta. Mix lightly but thoroughly. Refigerate overnight in an airtight container. Salad may be refrigerated for as long as a week in an airtight container. It also may be frozen, though freezing somewhat alters the texture. Before serving add the oranges, pineapple and Coolwhip. Makes 25 servings.

I like it all cold so I keep the oranges and pineapple in the fridge too.