Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default for those that have used fondant

i am attempting to make Emma a birthday cake this weekend and want to try fondant. (today is her 5th birthday but not having any family over til saturday or sunday). so did you make the fondant in advance and put it in the fridge? i'm assuming this would make it easier to knead and roll out. i have never used it so i'm wanting all the advice i can get! i'm thinking of making her a strawberry shortcake two tiered cake. maybe something like this

or a single layer like this

depends on how brave i'm feeling lol.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:14 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I've attempted fondant a few times. I live in Africa, so the only supplies I had on hand were marshmallows and I made the marshmallow fondant. It is SO yummy and a lot of fun to work with! Don't be intimidated at all! Especially if you have access to run to walmart and buy more stuff. I had one bag of marshmallows and that was it, and I was scared to waste them here (we only have them when we bring them over), but it turned out great!

I don't think you are supposed to refrigerate it...I think you are just supposed to wrap it really tight so it doesn't dry out. I think it is better to make it a day in advance or so to allow the colors to deepen. But you don't have to. I made it right before I threw it on the cake! What's cooking America has a great how-to with pictures. This article will answer all your questions!
I've only attempted it a few times and was happy with my results...
I think ultimately kids are happy with a special cake and are not nearly as picky as we adults are about the results!
Old 10-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

The recipe I used recommended refrigerating overnight, undyed. That's what I did
Old 10-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Here's the recipe I used...I did put it in the fridge overnight but you're going to want to bring it back to room temp so it will be more pliable when you go to cover your cake.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kit...allow-fondant/

Old 10-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
I did put it in the fridge overnight but you're going to want to bring it back to room temp so it will be more pliable when you go to cover your cake.
I did this, too. I microwaved my batches for about 7 seconds before I used them!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've only used the ready made wilton fondant and love it!
gotta be brave enough to make marshmallow fondant soon!

Hope you have tons of fun making this cake for your daughter...the look and smile in their face is priceless when they know you've made it =)
Old 10-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've done both ways and I prefer the pre-made stuff. The marshmallow stuff may taste way better, but if you put good frosting underneath the store bought stuff and peal it off, then that tastes even better. Only my kiddos enjoyed eating the marshmallow stuff. And the marshmallow stuff is WAY more stiff to work with than the store bought. Cheaper, but maybe for your first attempt you may want to start slowly and go with the store bought. And then you can just have it ready to go. You can leave it at room temperature just fine.

By my third batch of marshmallow fondant, my arms wanted to fall off from mixing and rolling. (I used Nikki's recipe) So if you stuck to the one layer cake you probably could do the marshmallow easily.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I still put a layer of buttercream under marshmallow fondant...it gives it a good base to stick to. We peel off the marshmallow stuff too and just eat the buttercream.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I still put a layer of buttercream under marshmallow fondant...it gives it a good base to stick to. We peel off the marshmallow stuff too and just eat the buttercream.
Yes exactly, but the big argument (one of) for the marshmallow is that it tastes better. I just found the extra work not worth the taste since we all just peeled it off anyway. I'm lazy I guess.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
Yes exactly, but the big argument (one of) for the marshmallow is that it tastes better. I just found the extra work not worth the taste since we all just peeled it off anyway. I'm lazy I guess.
That's true..my big reason for doing the marshmallow fondant on the last cake I did was cost..I need a lot of it and was going to cost way more just buying the premade stuff.

I'm making a lady bug cake for my niece's b-day next weekend and I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the premade in black..that would be an awful lot of kneading to get a smooth dark black I think lol

Old 10-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That's true..my big reason for doing the marshmallow fondant on the last cake I did was cost..I need a lot of it and was going to cost way more just buying the premade stuff.

I'm making a lady bug cake for my niece's b-day next weekend and I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the premade in black..that would be an awful lot of kneading to get a smooth dark black I think lol
Yes and black can turn purple with time with the colorant. I think the premixed stuff is more stable. They have the Duff fondant now at Michaels that comes in tubs of wild and dark colors. I've always just bought the Wilton white, so I wonder how they are.

back to the OP:
Oh and people are always intimidated with fondant but I say it is just like playing with playdough when you were a kid. Just keep working it and smoothing it. So you can make Emma a fabulous cake!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yes, i'm pretty much going with the marshmallow because i heard the Wilton kind was not very tasty, and it's cheaper to buy the bags of marshmallow and powdered sugar lol. i assumed you were supposed to eat the fondant; do most people peel it off? lol i've never had it.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

We always eat my fondant. I use the marshmallow kind too. I also make my own buttercream and put it underneath the fondant.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug View Post
yes, i'm pretty much going with the marshmallow because i heard the Wilton kind was not very tasty, and it's cheaper to buy the bags of marshmallow and powdered sugar lol. i assumed you were supposed to eat the fondant; do most people peel it off? lol i've never had it.
You can definitely eat it! The marshmallow fondant is YUMMY! But some find it a bit too sweet, especially with the layer of buttercream underneath. Personally, I loved both, so I ate it all, lol!

Huge fan of: