Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Currently Reading Week of 11/15...

I know that Nikki usually does these... but it's been a few weeks and my TBR pile is dwindling, so am on the hunt for some new [to me] titles.

What's the last book/books you finished?
What are you reading right now?
What's on your TBR?

Last edited by lingovise; 11-16-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I just finished reeading the 4 previous books (well 2 books & 2 novellas) in Rysa Walker's Timebound series, and now I'm reading the final book... Time's Divide.

Next up on my TBR is The Heir. It's the sequel to th Selection series. I devoured the first 3 books in record time, so I'm anxious to read this next one.

After that, it'll depend on what comes up on my library holds list.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:44 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

recently read :

this one started off really strong for me but got slightly neat and annoying in the end. still a 4 star, but could've/should've been a 5.

read with my 9 yr old son... lovedlovedloved! 5 stars.

laughably overwritten = painfully looooooong. not totally sucky, but a weak ending to the trilogy. 3 stars.

read w/my 9 yr old son... he adored the surly writing style [a new concept for him]... I enjoyed it for about 30 pages before it started to grate on my nerves. great for middle graders, not so much for adults. 3 stars for me, 4 for him.

not only did this book bring me no joy... it actually stole joy from me.
if it hadn't been a library book I would have set it on fire. it was, in a word, ridiculous. 1 star.

not horrible, but disappointing. 3 stars.

a great, albeit often frustrating, read for me. 3.5 stars [nearly a 4]

there are brief moments when this book truly shines, the rest of the time is spent trying brow beat you into believing that it is brilliant. 2 stars.

a nice read, but not a fave. 3 stars.

just an all around fun read. 4 stars.

enjoyed this immensely. a really great caper with a fantastic cast of characters. loved! 4.5 stars.

Currently Reading :

I just finished Six of Crows last night... so haven't cracked anything new open yet.
so many choices!
Old 11-15-2015, 11:01 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am on the waitlist to read these two books. Hope to get them soon!

Old 11-16-2015, 08:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Finished and really liked

This was... eh.

Started this last night and it is DELIGHTFUL

Old 11-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingovise View Post
recently read :

not only did this book bring me no joy... it actually stole joy from me.
if it hadn't been a library book I would have set it on fire. it was, in a word, ridiculous. 1 star.
I'm so glad to hear that. I read a sample of it and thought, "Wha????"
Old 11-16-2015, 10:51 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

What's on your TBR?

I'm sorry I disappeared and slacked on the threads...and I swore I wouldn't too ...life has just been insanely busy with Brian deployed and the kids and school and dance and everything else. Anyway. I counted and I've read 30 books since the last thread so to keep this from being a mile long I'm only going to list the ones I really liked. I did "spooky" reads for October and has some real winners and several duds...

Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children #3) by Ransom Riggs

This is the 3rd and final book in the Miss Peregrine Trilogy and I was not disappointed. I think this is an excellent YA series and really stands out from the regular "meh" stuff that's out for this reading level these days. I gave it 4 stars on goodreads.

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

I read The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins last year and loved it. The Moonstone was just as enjoyable. Collins was a contemporary and friend of Charles Dickens so it's similar in that it's victorian era classical, but Collins has a very unique writing style and narration style that I really like. If you love classics you need to read this one. I gave it 4.5 stars.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

I love Neil Gaiman and can't believe I waited this long to pick up this little gem. It was exactly the short creepy read I wanted at exactly the right time. This is a middle grade story that seriously is scary as crap. The movie is not nearly as good. Read the book. I gave it 5 stars simply because I had such a good time reading it.

Named of the Dragon by Susanna Kearsley

Susanna Kearsley is one of my "pre-order" authors..meaning that I love her so much, anything she puts out is an automatic buy for me. Named of the Dragon was published in the late 90's but this is it's first release in the US. This has been true for several of her earlier books after the success of The Winter Sea a few years ago. Her books are always going to be a good time. She is a great atmospheric writer and just a good enjoyable read. I gave this one 4 stars.

The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier

This was another perfect Halloweeny read for me. This is middle grade and the first book I've read by Jonathan Auxier. It was very good. I gave it 4 stars.

The Passage and The Twelve by Justin Cronin

These have been on my TBR forever so I devoted October to them. I listened to the audiobooks for both and really enjoyed them. Looking forward to the last in the trilogy early next year and gave them both solid 4 stars.

Ghost Story by Peter Straub

This was my best read of October. Scary, great writing, cool atmosphere and the thing I loved most about it was the fact that it was written in the 70's and full cultural and pop cultural references that would be completely lost on a younger audience. Loved it. 4 stars

The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury

I listed to 2 audiobooks by Ray Bradbury in October...I wasn't that big a fan of Something Wicked This Way Comes, but The Halloween Tree was very good. It was narrated by Bronson Pinchot (remember Balki from Perfect Strangers??) and he was excellent..so creepy. This is a middle grade novella and just really good. I gave it 3.5 stars.

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell

So David Mitchell is a unique author in that you're going along, thinking it's very much like a regular contemporary fiction type thing and then weird stuff happens and you're like..."wait, what?". I think most people really like him or really don't. I'm just kind of in the middle. I thought this was a good story, he is undoubtedly a brilliant writer...but the "weird stuff" for some reason just didn't seem to work for me. It pulled me out of the story instead of making it better and I'm not sure I'll invest any time on any of his other books.

The Fiery Cross (Outlander #5) by Diana Gabaldon

I'm slowly working my way through this series and I'm really glad I gave it a second chance. I will say though that if you don't enjoy the first few to the point of fandom..don't pick up this one because at over 1400 pages it is a tome and mostly just a minute by minute account of the characters day to day lives. Thankfully I'm in the fandom so I loved it. Just...Jamie and all the things and Jamie...just if you liked the first few then read it b/c...Jamie. I gave it 4 stars

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Somehow I made it all the way through college majoring in English and never got around to Persuasion. It wasn't my favorite Austen but still good. I gave it 3.5 stars.

The Sleeper and the Spindle
by Neil Gaiman (Goodreads Author), Chris Riddell (Illustrator)

When Gaiman and Chris Riddell team up it's always good. This is a graphic novel and a sort of mish-mash retelling of Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. The illustrations are gorgeous but the hard cover is a hefty 21 dollars at BAM and I'm not sure it's worth that much. Still a good quick read.

Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens

I'm trying to work my way through all of Charles Dickens' works. I've read a lot but there is still a lot to go. I'm about 1/3 through Little Dorrit and am really enjoying it so far.

The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter #5) by Oliver Pötzsch

I enjoy this series..it's probably not for everyone.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1)by J.K. Rowling, Jim Kay (Illustrator)

This book y'all...this book is gorgeous. If you weren't aware...Rowling and Jim Kay have teamed up to reelease the books fully color illustrated one each year for the next 7 years. This one was released in October and it is the most gorgeous thing ever. It also happens to be the perfect time for me to introduce DS to Harry Potter...he's never seen the movies, never read the books and at 10 years old is absolutely loving it. I wish so much I could go back and read them for the first time...this is like my 7th or 8th read of the first book lol but still so fun. If you are a Harry Potter superfan you need this book in your life.

What's on your TBR?

My goal in November/December is to finish this one...

S. by J.J. Abrams (Creator), Doug Dorst (Goodreads Author)

I got this one for my birthday last year and started it then but got so intimidated and didn't really know how to approach it so I put it down and haven't gone back to it.

Basically it's a book within a book. The actual physical book is a mock library "classic" (not a real classic) that is filled with ephemera and and entire other story written in the margins of the pages by the two main characters as if they were each taking the book off the shelf, writing to each other, filling it with stuff etc. I put it down b/c I couldn't decide how I wanted to approach it...read the book itself or the story in the margins or read them at the same time.

Anyway, it's on my TBR...other than that I'm going to focus on clearing off some of my kindle books b/c the number of books on there is ridiculous

Old 11-16-2015, 12:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nikki, I LOVED the first Miss Peregrine but the 2nd one was just 'eh' for me, so I wasn't planning on finishing the series. What did you think of the 3rd one?

When I read Coraline I got the creeps big time too! I still get the goosebumps when I think of it for some reason, lol!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
Next up on my TBR is The Heir. It's the sequel to th Selection series. I devoured the first 3 books in record time, so I'm anxious to read this next one.
I just finished reading "The Heir" and I liked it but it wasn't my favorite out of the series.

I just finished reading a book called "Death Cloud", it was one my son said was good. It is about a young Sherlock Holmes.

I also just finished reading "The Man in the High Castle" and while I loved the idea behind this book I really didn't like the book at all. I can see why Amazon is making it into a tv series and I think it will make a good one but the book just was annoying in it's speech and I really didn't like the ending.

I tried to read "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making" because I thought my youngest son who likes fairytales might like the series but it was kind of boring. It was written a lot like Alice In Wonderland but the characters weren't really likable to me. So I finally took it back to the library because I was tired of wasting time on it.

Right now I am reading the new Rick Riordan book "The Sword of Summer". It is his new series about the Norse gods. My son said it was good and I enjoyed his other series so I am looking forward to it.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
Nikki, I LOVED the first Miss Peregrine but the 2nd one was just 'eh' for me, so I wasn't planning on finishing the series. What did you think of the 3rd one?

When I read Coraline I got the creeps big time too! I still get the goosebumps when I think of it for some reason, lol!
I thought it was really good and tied up the series well and answered all the questions and stuff.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I just finished reading The Passage by Justin Cronin last week. I need a break from it so I started reading A Thousand Pieces Of You by Claudia Gray, before I continue reading The Twelve.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yay!! Thanks for posting Loni - I need to update my queue too.
These are the ones I can remember - my list is at home....

Eleanor and Park - I loved this book! Laughed and cried. 4 stars

Remember Me? Cute story but I hate when one of the characters is having an affair. 2 stars.

Beach Town - Quick and easy read - fun love story. 3 stars

I've Got Your Number - Great story and a quick read. Love it. 4 stars.

I just loooove anything Malcolm Gladwell!! David and Goliath gets 5 stars.

Fangirl - loved this!! Yes - I'm behind

Currently Reading:
Saving CeeCeehoneycutt - loving this so far!!

Every Day - I'm 1/2 way through and I'm not sure what to think yet!!
Old 11-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Recently Read ...

Colorless Tsukura Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami - I got totally swept up in this book at the beginning and less and less interested the more I read. The most interesting plot points were left unexplored. Still a good read.

The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler - I'll just ditto Loni's comments above.

To Read ...

The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
Old 11-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Cato View Post

The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler - I'll just ditto Loni's comments above.[/B]
I think I need to read this one just because of the cover.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Ooh!! I love seeing reading threads!!! I see several books here that I've read over the past year.

I also really enjoyed this book but thought it wound down a bit near the end.

I loved The Passage but think I waited too long to read The Twelve and didn't enjoy it as much. I didn't realize there was a third one coming out.

I would have to agree that David Mitchell's writing style is unique. I have to be in the right mood to be able to enjoy his books. I also read Cloud Atlas and there are some of the same characters in The Bone Clocks!

If you are a fan of suspense novels, this one will keep you on the edge of your seat! 5 stars

A disappointing end to the series! 2.5 stars

The 2nd in the detective series which JK Rowling is writing as Robert Galbraith. They're a quick and enjoyable read 3.5 stars

I enjoyed Kim Harrison's The Hollows series so I thought I'd try this one and was not disappointed.

TBR

Just had this one come in at the library and can't wait to read it!
Old 11-17-2015, 09:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm currently reading...

I'm about half-way through and love it so far. It's not my favorite of her books at this point, but it's a good read.

What's on your TBR?

Because, really, I could have written this myself...
Old 11-18-2015, 12:03 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

She has a holiday book????

I'm half way though this one - I usually read at night when my girls are in bed and had to stop because my laughing was waking them up!! They kept yelling at me.

OMG - this is the funniest thing I've ever read. Let me know how the holiday book is!

Old 11-18-2015, 08:24 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just finished The Firebird, and I couldn't put it down. She is such a good writer.

I just started this Richard Foster is one of my favorite non-fiction authors.

And when I get a few minutes to myself again, I am finally going to read The White Queen.