Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-13-2021, 08:26 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default HELP! Read anything good lately?

I'm in a reading funk and wondered what anyone has been reading lately?
Old 04-14-2021, 07:07 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I'm rereading Glennon Doyle's "Untamed" - this time round, with my journal in hand to take notes and really ponder the subjects as they apply to my own life.

My current fiction is Agatha Christie's "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd"... an easy Sunday afternoon kind of murder reading. It was heavily recommended to me. I'm enjoying.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:09 PM
Banned

profile gallery

I’m reading the Dublin Murder Squad series by Tana French. I’m on the second book. If you like crime novels, I recommend the series. so far haha
Old 04-14-2021, 10:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've read or listened to 26 books so far this year. I just finished We Came Here To Forget by Andrea Dunlop that I liked. I also really liked We Begin at the End by Chris Whitakrr & The Rose Code by Kate Quin. My favorite so far this year is probably the Four Winds by Kristin Hannah
Old 04-15-2021, 08:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The Push
The Four Winds
Outlawed
Old 04-15-2021, 03:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Some of my favorites recently:
The Invisible Life of Addie Larou
Miss Benson's Beetle
The Books of Babel series by Josiah Bancroft (if you like fantasy/sci-fi)
Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
The Sundown Motel
Boy Swallows Universe
Old 04-16-2021, 05:46 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'm reading a book by Mark Manson, "Everything Is F*cked. A Book of Hope." A worthy book with understandable thoughts about what many in their daily life simply do not realize.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here's some good ones I've read in the last yr.
After All I've Done by Mina Hardy
The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix Harrow
Seven Days of Us by Francesca Hornak
To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini (really long book but good)
The Wrong Family by Tarryn Fisher
Only Truth by Julie Cameron
The Guest List by Lucy Foley
The Book of Two Ways by Jodi Picoult
Before I Let You Go by Kelly Rimmer
Playing Nice by JP Delaney
Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo
The Look Alike by Erica Spindler
The Wife and the Widow by Christian White
Her One Mistake by Heidi Perks
Old 04-16-2021, 12:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I jus read "the drowning kind" by Jennifer McMahon. It might be something you like
Old 04-16-2021, 02:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Do you like Sci-Fi?? If so, I HIGHLY recommend The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells!! It was in my top five favorite series last year. It's so far beyond fantastic! The MC is a wonderfully sarcastic & snarky SecUnit. I'm currently rereading the entire series for the 7th time in preparation for book 6 that's releasing later this month -- eeep!!

Recursion by Blake Crouch - is another great sci-fi
Spoonbenders by Daryl Gregory
Less by Andrew Sean Greer
The Dime & The Burn by Kathleen Kent [2 books in the series so far]
Have You Seen Luis Velez? by Catherine Ryan Hyde
Not a Sound by Heather Gudenkauf
Lady Sherlock Series by Sherry Thomas [book 6 is coming this year]
The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern [not everyone loves this one - but I thought it was grand!]

& I'm pretty excited to read Taylor Jenkins Reid's upcoming new release Malibu Rising

Last edited by lingovise; 04-16-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:09 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingovise View Post
Do you like Sci-Fi?? If so, I HIGHLY recommend The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells!! It was in my top five favorite series last year. It's so far beyond fantastic! The MC is a wonderfully sarcastic & snarky SecUnit. I'm currently rereading the entire series for the 7th time in preparation for book 6 that's releasing later this month -- eeep!!

Recursion by Blake Crouch - is another great sci-fi
Spoonbenders by Daryl Gregory
Less by Andrew Sean Greer
The Dime & The Burn by Kathleen Kent [2 books in the series so far]
Have You Seen Luis Velez? by Catherine Ryan Hyde
Not a Sound by Heather Gudenkauf
Lady Sherlock Series by Sherry Thomas [book 6 is coming this year]
The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern [not everyone loves this one - but I thought it was grand!]

& I'm pretty excited to read Taylor Jenkins Reid's upcoming new release Malibu Rising
I'm following this thread with my Amazon Wish List at the ready!

@Lingovise - "Wonderfully sarcastic & snarky" are some of my favorite food groups!
Old 04-21-2021, 06:48 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I've just read Roar by Cecilia Ahern. I am not usually 'into' short stories (don't tell my students that as I make them read them!), however, this book is brilliant. Each of the stories is based on a metaphor - very cleverly written.

I've also recently read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. It's really aimed at teenagers but is really really good - gives a fab insight into an autistic teenager.

I've also read 1984 (for about the 10th time!) as well as To Kill a Mockingbird (probably for about the 20th time!) - the joys of being an English teacher!!!
Old 04-27-2021, 07:25 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Now reading "The Sphere" by Dave Eggers. But for this novel, the movie "The Sphere" was made, starring Emma Watson. I watched this film 3 times, drew attention to the existence of the book in the credits, decided to find it and read it. So far, everything is like in the film, but in more detail. I can conclude that the film was shot well. And the book is read in one breath, I have already read half of the novel in a couple of days.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:09 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I'm addicted to Kristin Hannah right now. I started with The Great Alone, and read The Nightingale, Firefly Lane, and I'm almost finished with Fly Away. I have Magic Hour queued and will be adding The Four Winds
Old 05-04-2021, 05:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Love this list! I am horrible about reading...I only find time at night and then fall asleep or end up staying up too late. I need to find time during the day to read.
I am currently reading 4 Winds and it is really good. I am a huge fan of Lisa Gray, Harlen Coben and Michael Connelly. All of their books are good.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:33 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I realized that forum participants read with pleasure. I have a different question: where do you like to sit with a book? I like lying in bed before going to bed (a bad habit of my whole life), and recently I fell in love with reading at the table, because I bought a comfortable office chair OFM Plush Microfiber. You sit and your back rests when you lean on the back. And since the chair is near the work table, you can conveniently place a cup of cocoa and a plate of cookies.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:37 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyLeslie View Post
I realized that forum participants read with pleasure. I have a different question: where do you like to sit with a book? I like lying in bed before going to bed (a bad habit of my whole life), and recently I fell in love with reading at the table, because I bought a comfortable office chair OFM Plush Microfiber. You sit and your back rests when you lean on the back. And since the chair is near the work table, you can conveniently place a cup of cocoa and a plate of cookies.
I have a rocker-style chair & ottoman in my bedroom where I occasionally read when the noise downstairs is too much. But most of the time I read on the couch, leaning back on a memory foam style pillow so that my back and neck are fully supported.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:46 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries by Anne Frasier

I recently finished this series and really enjoyed it. Great detective/mystery trope with terrific character development. There are 3 books in the series so far and I'm holding out hope that the author will continue!
Old 05-11-2021, 10:47 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyBelle View Post

I've also recently read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. It's really aimed at teenagers but is really really good - gives a fab insight into an autistic teenager.
I read this one a few years back and liked it a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
I am a huge fan of Lisa Gray, Harlen Coben and Michael Connelly. All of their books are good.
I've read quite a bit by Michael Connelly in the past but got sort of tired of his writing style/formulas... so it's been a while. Harlen Coben has been in my TBR pile for eons & shockingly!! I still haven't ever read anything by him. Mostly, I think it's just because I'm not entirely sure where to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScrap View Post
I’m reading the Dublin Murder Squad series by Tana French. I’m on the second book. If you like crime novels, I recommend the series. so far haha
I've looked at these so many times... adding them to my queue now!

So many great titles here! I'm slowly going through them and reading blurbs. Thanks, Everyone!

Last edited by lingovise; 05-11-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:54 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I read it about a year ago, but I loved Maybe You Should Talk to Someone, by Lori Gottlieb. It isn't a "self-help" book. It's more like a look into her experience becoming a therapist and similtaneously into some of her experiences with her patients. (Or, rather, into a few amalgams of a few of her patients' experiences.) Anyway, I really liked it.

My DD just read The Firekeeper's Daughter. It was in the YA Stand Book Hookup. OH, perhaps you'd like to join their Book Hookup? Then you could get a quarterly box with two books and fun accessories. All the reading with none of the hassle. DH and I get the mystery/thriller box. DD gets the YA. I haven't read the last box's books because I started working and lately I fall asleep if I try to read a book lol, but DH read them and liked them.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:36 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I started reading Forrest Gump by Winston Groom. I can say that the film adaptation was shot quite accurately, although the book conveys the plot in much more detail. In general, the film adaptation is often inferior to books, with the exception of those books in which there is little meaning - the film adaptation draws out a weak plot due to special effects.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingovise View Post

Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries by Anne Frasier

I recently finished this series and really enjoyed it. Great detective/mystery trope with terrific character development. There are 3 books in the series so far and I'm holding out hope that the author will continue!
I loved these too.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I love to read and lately I have been on a modern day romance, slightly trashy, and have been devouring everything by Kristin Ashley. I love that most of her books and characters intertwine. Makes me feel like I am hearing about friends I haven't seen in a while.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:18 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

I LOVE to read as well and have been reading some Swedish criminal books lately.

I urge everyone to read 'Stockholm Noir' by Jens Lapidus if you can get a hold of an English copy
Old 09-01-2021, 07:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Over the summer, I started listening to the BBC Dramatization of Agatha Raisin, and it is a total delight! I love it more than the series or the books. It's just funny and dramatic, and I'm so sorry that they didn't dramatize more of the books.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:21 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have been trying to finish The Problem With Forever... well, forever. I'm writing down everything thats been suggested since the last time i posted and forgot to reply haha
Old 09-01-2021, 03:49 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScrap View Post
I **just** started reading her books! I finished In The Woods in record time because her plot building was delightful and I've started on The Witch Elm while I'm waiting for the other books from my library!

Amber - highly recommend you check this author out if you haven't already!
Old 09-01-2021, 03:57 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I recently read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Saga. I'm still waiting for book three, but highly recommend if you like fantasy. The first book is Mistborn.

Here are a couple more:

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

V.E. Schwab's The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue as well as her Shades of Magic series: A Darker Shade of Magic, A Gathering of Shadows, and A Conjuring of Light.