Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Homeschooling.. Where do I begin? Any Tips?

We've decided to homeschool our 2nd grader (will be in third next year). He has some developmental and behavioral issues due to being born very premature and he has also been diagnosed with ADHD.. The school years are getting harder and harder for him, and I really don't think that his school (or any of the local schools here) are for him. AT..ALL... He also has a tough time with other kids so we know that doing after school activities (sports and boy scouts) is good for him as far as making friends goes.. and I've been looking into the local homeschooling groups.
So I know my state (Vermont) is extremely supportive of homeschooling, and they often encourage it But I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed by the whole process... I know I have to apply with the state and do the legal mumbo jumbo... but where else do I begin? How do I choose a curiculum that is right for him and his needs (in school here he is on an IED)...
I know there are tons of homeschool families here.. does anyone have any suggestions for particular programs they've used/are using that you would recommend? He loves to go on the computer and it holds his attention so much more than paper/pencil and bookwork, so I'm leaning more toward online courses. (time constraints aren't an issue since I work at home)

Thanks!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!