Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-13-2019, 12:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD Family Memories

Can you share a special memory you cherish from long ago, of a family member?
Old 05-13-2019, 12:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I thought about my mom a lot over the wkend (she passed many years ago). One thing that I kept remembering was her joy of a quiet morning, a good cup of coffee and watching the birds out the window.

I had never really been interested in birds until she started sharing her stories about the neighborhood birds coming to her balcony feeders. She became enamored of the wild birds when she retired, was home a lot and realized that she enjoyed watching the birds out her window so bought feeders and fed them every day.

I started to notice the personalities of the different birds, how they interacted with each other and how different they all were. I started putting out feeders and watching them on a daily basis, just like my mom. Then we would share our bird stories with each other.

When I watch the birds, it reminds me of my mom and makes me smile.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That's a sweet story, Rae. And cool that you think of your Mom every time we watch the birds.

My Mom died 23 years ago. I remember she always made time to talk to me when I came home from college. She was busy working and going to college part time herself, but she always made time for me. Often my sisters and I would hang out on the kitchen floor and talk to my Mom for hours. We look back now and wonder why we sat on the kitchen floor, the most uncomfortable place in the house to sit! That's a fond memory I have of my Mom.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
That's a sweet story, Rae. And cool that you think of your Mom every time we watch the birds.

My Mom died 23 years ago. I remember she always made time to talk to me when I came home from college. She was busy working and going to college part time herself, but she always made time for me. Often my sisters and I would hang out on the kitchen floor and talk to my Mom for hours. We look back now and wonder why we sat on the kitchen floor, the most uncomfortable place in the house to sit! That's a fond memory I have of my Mom.
Love your story too, it made me smile
Old 05-13-2019, 08:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I remember going to my grandparents' house as much as possible as a kid. Somehow even when grandma didn't know I was coming over, she would always, always be in the big kitchen window waving when I pulled in and she'd be right back there when I left waving good-bye. That was after she'd say good bye in the garage and it was always see you later, alligator. after a while, crocodile when I was little and occasionally as I got older. My grandpa would always ask me if everything was working well on my car and then be right out there regardless of what I said checking it over and making sure. If he found something to fix, it was always "my birthday present" no matter when it was.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
I remember going to my grandparents' house as much as possible as a kid. Somehow even when grandma didn't know I was coming over, she would always, always be in the big kitchen window waving when I pulled in and she'd be right back there when I left waving good-bye. That was after she'd say good bye in the garage and it was always see you later, alligator. after a while, crocodile when I was little and occasionally as I got older. My grandpa would always ask me if everything was working well on my car and then be right out there regardless of what I said checking it over and making sure. If he found something to fix, it was always "my birthday present" no matter when it was.
Mari - what a lovely memory. I had to laugh, my dad used to say....see you later alligator...I hadn't thought of that in yrs.

How sweet your GP would check and fix your car for you.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That's awesome Mari! How sweet of your grandparents! I love that your grandma was always at the window and that they fixed your car for you!
Old 05-16-2019, 10:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Thanks, Cindi & Rae. They were great people. I miss them terribly. (my grandmother is still alive, but lost to dementia)