Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default some help with a paper/hybrid project

so i went to Hobby Lobby yesterday looking for a blank board book so i can print some LO's. i ended up getting this

accordian book with a cute ribbon and a box to keep it in. only $4.99. not exactly what i was looking for but it'll be cute. anyway, if i decide to print out LO's instead of good old regular paper scrapping, what can i get to coat the LO's so thay don't smear or get messed up? i have rubber cement to paste them to the book but i wasnt sure if there was clear coat stuff or something to use when i'm done. i saw some Modge Podge stuff but i've never used it. will that work?

TIA. i'll post a pic of it when i'm done. i may go buy another one if i do okay with this first one, lol.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ummm, I would use the modge podge to adhere them and to coat them and I'd not even touch them with the rubber cement. I have used modge podge on every one of my hybrid projects. The only thing you need to worry about with it is to not put it on too heavy.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

thanks! i'll have to go get some...
Old 02-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have done the same. Just make sure your printouts are really dry, otherwise it will bleed a little bit!!!!!

Proudly creating for:
LCC by Amy Stoffel, Cori Gammon, DIGI SCRAP ADDICTS Site CT,
Faith True, Geek Chic Scraps, Jac Bernardo, Laura Banasiak, Litabells Designs, Kelley Mickus, Micheline Martin Designs, Nikki Epperson,
Penny Springmann, SCRAP ORCHARD Site CT, THE DAILY SCRAPPER Site CT
Old 02-26-2008, 02:58 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

you don't have to have Mod Podge, I personally think the stuff is a mess! as an experienced paper scrapper turned digital, I would suggest using a good permanent adhesive such as Zip Dry, Tombow liquid glues(I like the one in the green bottle), or ThermO Web super sticky double-sided red tape. I use that for altering boxes and tins, works like a dream.

For coating your photos I would suggest a clear acrylic sealer, I use a matte finish by Plaid.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I would have to agree that too much modpodge even if dried can soften in heat and stick together!

Take an example a photo tile I made. I placed it inside a drawer wrapped in bubble wrap (waiting to be sent to dear Mom) and when I checked it, the bubble wrap stuck to the modpodge and created some additional bubble like texture.

Our most treasured family heirlooms are our sweet family memories.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

just my 2 cents from making my paper bag album ....

any liquid glue can bubble if you are not careful LOL. I used the Tombow and hated the results. I have learned how to manage Modge Podge a little better.

I honestly think for the best finish would be the Xyron adhesive to attach the pages to the album.

If you want a sealed coat on the book get a good spray sealer. I like the Krylon brands. I have a Matte Sealer and then a Preserve It. I use the Preserve it before I Modge Podge to protect my printed colors.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

wow, thanks everyone! looks like i'll be making another trip to Hobby Lobby, lol
Old 02-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Ditto on the clear acrylic glaze spray if you want to coat it after adhering the pages with something else. I personally haven't used a coat on my scrapbook projects though - only stuff I've painted on wood to make it look pretty!

Do they have acid-free spray glazes out there? I'd be curious to know myself!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I too have used Mod Podge to attach and to seal. I have had a little trouble with it getting sticky when used as the sealer though. I think I might try a spray on protectant for my next project. I believe the Krylon ones made for paper are acid free - but I'm sure it will say on the can.