Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Packing Tips?

Share your favorite tips for packing for a summer trip! I'm going to Europe in July and my husband and I each can only take one big suitcase and then 1 carry on. I'm totally panicking about packing. When we went to Alaska a few summers ago my huge bag (which I'm not taking this time due to having to take it on trains) weighed in over 50 lbs. I need help!
Old 06-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Roll your clothes -- makes them smaller and prevents wrinkles. Use plastic bags to put socks, toiletries, jewelry together and keep them from beign scattered in your suitcase.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Using big ziploc bags for smaller items and blouses and squishing out the air really saves space and makes everything move around easily in your suitcase.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:12 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

i was going to say what kimberly did! roll baby roll!
Old 06-16-2014, 06:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am a notorious over-packer, so my suggestion is to carry you stuff around the block and then decide if you've packed too much If it's too heavy or cumbersome, remove items. If you can be strategic and pack outfits that are easy to mix and match, that will save you room too.

p.s. I'm super jealous you're going to Europe!
Old 06-16-2014, 06:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

i was going to suggest rolling, too... Also if you can mix and match clothes. I was in England for 13 weeks... lots of twin sets, dockers and docker type skirts... packing cubes - best purchase ever! ziploc bags work, too.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Make a list. I find that when I write it down, see how things can mix and match, I pack lighter.

Travel in clothes that can be washed and worn while there. Add an extra layer, easily carry-able, so it's not in your suitcase.

Leave a little room for souvenirs - (I know that's hard) and make sure you know the costs of luggage when overweight before you travel.

If you pack a lot of clothes when traveling, maybe focus on one neutral color. Colorful tops... with grey and black bottoms or khaki and brown bottoms. This way, you will have less shoes, and most items will cross match.

Carry some small denomination bills... for tips and such when you travel.
Email and scan itinerary to a friend before leaving. Also leave a copy in a "cloud," so you can access it. Even a copy of your passport.
Have fun! Sounds so exciting!

Old 06-16-2014, 10:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just pinned this yesterday, Juli:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/51369251974569119/

Others that are similar:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/51369251974062212/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/51369251973169628/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/51369251972214024/
Old 06-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Wear your heaviest bulkiest clothes on the plane, if you are bringing denim jeans/capris, wear those instead of putting them in your bag. Same with shoes and a light jacket, sweatshirt or sweater etc. Packing lighter material clothes gets you more outfits.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:15 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My mom is the expert, so I'm just quoting what she usually does...

Pack clothes that are worn, so if you need more room later you can just discard them.

Bring adaptors and check the voltage of the countries you'll be visiting.

Put bras and socks in the corners because those spaces often go wasted.

Enjoy your trip!! I'm so envious of your Europe trip!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

These are all super suggestions! I did get some packing folders and ebags to keep everything organized. I have realized that we are going to need to wash clothes a few times and I think I can live with that.

Also, I decided to use Polyvore to plan my outfits. I apparently have a thing for striped shirts and solid shorts/capris because 3/4 of the shirts I bought for my trip are striped. Now I think I need to shop and find something to mix it up.

I was going to try to stick to a color theme, but I ended up with the basic bottoms navy, grey and khaki shorts, and navy, black, dark jean (slim fit, kind sexy) and white capris. Now I just have to find a few solid shirts that I can wear during the day and/or on the ship at night to a show or dinner.

I was thinking I would just buy clothes there too...but I'm right at that plus size/normal size border and I have a hard time in the US where I know what kind of clothes each store sells. I can only imagine me trying to use my travel Italian to try to shop and find clothes. My husband would probably leave me because I'd be in such a frenzy. LOL!

I am so over the moon excited and I want to be prepared for EVERYTHING because I want every minute to be fun. LOL! That's not expecting too much - right???
Old 06-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think everyone has given you great advice, so I'm just going to say ENJOY! I wouldn't try to buy clothes in Italy- I had enough issues with that when I lived there, but go for the accessories. You'll find cheap scarves, purses, etc. there to really add some fun to the wardrobe.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I think about what I'm going to be doing when packing and plan accordingly. I'm a huge fan of lists so I first list out my essential toiletry items (or items to buy once you arrive since plane rules are strict nowadays on quantities), then my essential basics like socks, underwear, etc., then I estimate how many casual and dressy clothes I'll need and pack a good ratio of those and include at least one hot weather/cold weather in each category. Finally, I pack smart tennis shoes, dress shoes (preferably ones that work with anything) and a bathing suit. I would pack a light jacket or heavy sweatshirt in case of cold temperatures too. Hope this helps. I still end up overpacking lol but usually this works out okay. I couldn't imagine taking one suitcase to Europe! Then again, I have kids so I pack for the unexpected lol. Hope you have a great vacation!
Old 06-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Some great suggestions here! I always bring leggings and a T to sleep in (rather than pjs) because that way I can use it as an extra outfit in a pinch.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Take one biggish scarf/shawl that coordinates with everything in your suitcase. I always pack something like this when I travel, especially overseas! Pick something utilitarian and not your best silk.
  • * It can be a scarf (ooh pretty),
  • * head cover if it's windy,
  • * wrap if it's cold (some of the European stone buildings can get chilly inside even when it's hot outside!),
  • * wrap if you need your arms covered (for etiquette) and you have a tank top on
  • * wrap to make a skirt, wrap it around your short-shorts (for etiquette) if you cant wear shorts in a church
  • * sunshade if you forgot to put sunscreen on your arms or neck.
  • * cover-up/sarong to walk to the pool

Plus it can double for other weird things like a
  • * sling if you hurt your arm
  • * a rope type thing if you need to tie something to your pack or suitcase
  • * picnic blanket
  • * blanket for long train rides
  • * something to cover your eyes with on long train rides or the airplane (makeshift eye-shade)
  • * napkin or towel when your kid dumps soda all over you
  • * something to cover your mouth (& nose) with if you are in a smoggy/smoky city or sitting in an open air taxi in the middle of a traffic jam for hours.

I'm sure you all can think of other things too!

Last edited by kristijoy; 06-18-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I personally would also consider purchasing a special travel outfit that is made out of that special fabric that can get squooshed up a suitcase (and still look good) and dries quickly when you wash it in a sink. Same with socks and undies. Try to find synthetic ones that will dry when you wash them in a sink rather than your super thick cotton ones that take forever!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Toiletries that you can discard on the way home to make room for anything you buy while you are there.

I pack for 5 days and do laundry at the hotel, while it can be expensive it is worth the space I save in my suitcase for other things on the way home.

Clothes that you can discard/donate if you run out of room on the way home.

We do roll clothes and use ziplock bags when we can.