Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2021, 07:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default 10,000 thanks radio project update.

If you guys recall, I had taken in 100 blank thank you cards to work for people to sign for the local radio station's 10,000 thanks project for our service men and women overseas this holiday season. I want to give you an update on how that went, because I have to vent a little about crazy people and their lack of gratitude.

All and all, I am happy that I did what I did, but along the way I had to deal with some really surprising, and not pleasant, results. Frankly, a few of the people I work with need to adjust their gratitude attitude.

Before I even did this, I had asked the Plant Manger if I could bring in the cards and he said yes. He thought it was a great idea and felt like the employees would love the opportunity to thank our soldiers. For the most part he was right, but the exceptions to the case just about wore me out.

The HR director called me in for a chat because if I had told her what I had planned "she could have done it better." Instead of the hundred bright thank you cards I purchased that were blank inside, she could have had five hundred printed with the company logo and signed everyone's names. What?

The entire purpose is a heartfelt thanks written by a real person to a service person who is serving their country and therefore them. Not 500 impersonal company logo cards that have no real feeling behind them. She tried really hard to get me to stop doing what I was doing, or just give all the cards to her, so she could make sure it was done right. Again with the right thing. I was doing what the radio station requested, so what exactly was I doing wrong?

Anyway, I told her that the radio station was looking for 10,000 cards/letters so she was free to do what she wanted to do as well, but I preferred to stick to what I was doing.

I guess she didn't like my response, because she called in the Plant Manager to tell him that I didn't have permission to do what I was doing, not aware he had given it to me and that I wasn't cooperating with her idea to make my misstep better.

Thankfully he was able to set her straight and then stood behind me and told her that the entire purpose of the project would be lost if we did things her way. So now she is less then happy with me. That was day one.

Day two, someone walked off with some of the cards and we never saw those again, so I had to get more cards. Really how can you steal cards meant for such a purpose? And really, why steal cards anyway? Frankly, I don't think people stealing thank you cards are the type of people who are sending them out, so what was the purpose? Boggles the mind.

Yesterday, the last day, I went into the break room and reminded people that we still had some cards left to fill out and how great it would be if they would take a minute to thank a service person.

One man got really nasty and told me that he did not appreciate me bothering him with my nonsense while he was on his break. I swear, I thought my head was going to explode. I told him the next time a soldier goes to battle for his right to work, live and even breathe in this country, I hope said soldier didn't think doing something that big for such a little person was nonsense. Then I told him he should be ashamed of himself for saying that trying to thank a service person was nonsense, because without our soldiers, he wouldn't have the freedom he does to be an A-hole.

Yes. I had to talk to the HR director, again.

So while I loved the project and did manage to get 90 cards signed for service people, I am not sure I want to do that again. I may not have the temperament for it.

My son got 60 cards from his students, so all together we have 150 unique cards to drop off at the radio station for them to add to their quest for 10,000.

Hopefully, by the time the project rolls around next year, I will be ready to do something positive again. Or maybe I will just let the HR director do what she wants and keep it on a more personal level for me and mine.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:31 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

oh my lord!!!!

yep, people suck, BIG time.
I can't believe you went through all this my friend. and that you had to go talk to HR... again.

Know in your heart you did good and stuff everyone else for being rat bags. Good on you for what you said to that man in the break room... sheesh... seriously

big warm hugs to you and much love for giving it your best shot.
xx
Old 11-06-2021, 08:55 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

As someone who has been deployed over Christmas, just two years ago, in fact, I would have been super weirded out by a company logo with names printed on the inside card. I would have thought about what kind of weirdo is advertising their business to me when I am here and what are they trying to get out of it. What a strange lady. I am so sorry so many people were nasty to you over it. Also, this project of yours helps me understand how I got a bunch of random Christmas cards sent to me from people I did not know while there. lol
Old 11-06-2021, 09:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

holy smokes that sounds like a whole lot of nonsense for simply trying to share smiles with people. Good grief.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I told him the next time a soldier goes to battle for his right to work, live and even breathe in this country, I hope said soldier didn't think doing something that big for such a little person was nonsense. Then I told him he should be ashamed of himself for saying that trying to thank a service person was nonsense, because without our soldiers, he wouldn't have the freedom he does to be an A-hole.
I'm just saying, Lorie, that this seems like a super legit reason to have to have a conversation with the manager. Surely, the manager was on your side.
Old 11-07-2021, 01:05 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I'm just saying, Lorie, that this seems like a super legit reason to have to have a conversation with the manager. Surely, the manager was on your side.
No. Apparently telling an A-hole that he is an A-hole is not acceptable. But since I didn't actually say the swear word and there were a ton of people who heard him be nasty to me, nothing came of it.

I have too much of my mom in me to let someone talk nasty to me and just enough of my dad in me that I can refrain from punching them over it. My mom would have cleaned his clock in a heartbeat. LOL
Old 11-07-2021, 10:58 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
As someone who has been deployed over Christmas, just two years ago, in fact, I would have been super weirded out by a company logo with names printed on the inside card. I would have thought about what kind of weirdo is advertising their business to me when I am here and what are they trying to get out of it. What a strange lady. I am so sorry so many people were nasty to you over it. Also, this project of yours helps me understand how I got a bunch of random Christmas cards sent to me from people I did not know while there. lol
This should be shared with the HR Director if/when she complains again about your way of doing it.

You did good. Unfortunately we live in a society that has so many people that do not consider others but only themselves.
Old 11-07-2021, 01:42 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
This should be shared with the HR Director if/when she complains again about your way of doing it.

You did good. Unfortunately we live in a society that has so many people that do not consider others but only themselves.
Yeah, I probably should, but I doubt she would listen. She is one of those people you mentioned that will be doing this for herself, not others. I just found out she has been told that as a company, we need to be more involved in our community, giving back to others. I had no idea when she was talking to me about it, she was trying to check something off her to do list. If that is what our company is looking for, they are looking in the wrong place with her.

And I sadly have to agree whole heartedly to your last statement.
Old 11-07-2021, 03:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This breaks my heart! I can't believe the guts your superior had to ask you to print the company's logo on the cards. Completely against the whole point! I'm so glad your manager stood behind you on this.

Ugh! If you don't want to do just move along. Why make a big deal about it. People these days are so self-centered it's so sad.

Maybe next time give the cards to us!

Do you think the person who took the cards could have taken them to fill them out with other people and return them?
Old 11-07-2021, 06:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Lorie, you did a beautiful thing and it was from the heart. I’m happy to hear your son got some in for you as well, 150 people will have a brighter day because of your kindness.

Everyone nowadays seem to expect something for doing something, there seems to be less ‘just because’.

We are really trying to focus on kindness at the school this year, it is seriously lacking.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
Lorie, you did a beautiful thing and it was from the heart. I’m happy to hear your son got some in for you as well, 150 people will have a brighter day because of your kindness.

Everyone nowadays seem to expect something for doing something, there seems to be less ‘just because’.

We are really trying to focus on kindness at the school this year, it is seriously lacking.
It sure does feel that way. Kindness, like everything else, begins at home. When I hear people talk about "kids these days," I always want to remind them that the problem starts with the adults who are raising the kids.

Schools should not have to teach kindness, morals or anything else of that nature. Those things should be taught at home and already well learned before a kid enters school.

People complain so much about "big brother" and the government in general, but expect so much of government, and especially of government employees like teachers. My son has been teaching middle school for 4 years now and I don't know if he will do a fifth year, he is that frustrated with the entire system, especially the administration and parents.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
This breaks my heart! I can't believe the guts your superior had to ask you to print the company's logo on the cards. Completely against the whole point! I'm so glad your manager stood behind you on this.

Ugh! If you don't want to do just move along. Why make a big deal about it. People these days are so self-centered it's so sad.

Maybe next time give the cards to us!

Do you think the person who took the cards could have taken them to fill them out with other people and return them?
I am not sure, maybe they did, but that was a lot of cards to fill out. LOL My DIL has all 150 now to drop off at the radio station, she works next door to it, so if someone has more, they are going to have to turn them in themselves. That is a 45 minute drive I don't really want to make.