Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2018, 12:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Hobbies other than scrapping?

For the longest time, scrapbooking has been my only hobby. I used to knit (constantly) and craft often, but scrapbooking has (happily) taken over all of my hobby time.
Until now... LOL! My son asked me to knit a scarf for him for Christmas. So, for the first time in (MANY) years, I am going to knit something. I doubt that I will do much more than that, but it's kind of fun to pick my needles up again.

Do you have hobbies that you regularly do other than scrapbooking?

I'd love to see pictures if you have any
Old 12-19-2018, 01:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

LOL! So, I should have checked the Hygge challenge thread before I posted

I guess I'll just see everyone's answers there!
Old 12-19-2018, 01:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Do you find yourself to be rusty when you start knitting again after a long break? Or does it come back to you fast and easy?

I've dabbled at a bit of stuff. Knitting, crochet, quilting... The only one that seems to stick around is quilting a baby blanket for each of my babies but that's not very often! lol I'm on my third.
I've sewn a bit, a couple aprons here and there, burp cloths, baby blankets as baby shower presents but I lack the technique I think. I always think my stuff is just gonna come apart after a while lol

Here are my three quilts and one amigurumi I've crocheted.
baby #1, I started with triangles, the hardest of quilts in my opinion. I could have chosen easier for a first.

baby #2, easy stripes

baby #3 in progress, I went with a super easy pattern since I have no energy

unicorn amigurumi
Old 12-19-2018, 01:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
LOL! So, I should have checked the Hygge challenge thread before I posted

I guess I'll just see everyone's answers there!
haha I noticed that after I went through my pictures so here they are anyway!
Old 12-19-2018, 01:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
Do you find yourself to be rusty when you start knitting again after a long break? Or does it come back to you fast and easy?

I've dabbled at a bit of stuff. Knitting, crochet, quilting... The only one that seems to stick around is quilting a baby blanket for each of my babies but that's not very often! lol I'm on my third.
I've sewn a bit, a couple aprons here and there, burp cloths, baby blankets as baby shower presents but I lack the technique I think. I always think my stuff is just gonna come apart after a while lol

baby #1, I started with triangles, the hardest of quilts in my opinion. I could have chosen easier for a first.

baby #2, easy stripes

unicorn amigurumi
Lea, you quilts are fabulous!!! I can sew, but I don't really enjoy it, and I probably would have given up while cutting the fabric. LOL!!

I started on a scarf last night. I was surprised that I could pick it up as easily as I did. I didn't like the pattern and tore it out, but it was easy enough.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Other hobbies include reading, listening to music and finding new music to listen to, lol, fishing, and looking at all the pretty kits that I want to buy but don't have enough funds to do so

I also write poetry, but that's not a hobby, that's a true gift/talent and a therapeutic outlet

Old 12-19-2018, 01:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post

baby #2, easy stripes

unicorn amigurumi
Lea, those are beautiful! And that unicorn is soo cute!
Old 12-19-2018, 01:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm, I'm not sure I have hobbies outside of digiscrap. Do you think I can count planning trips as a hobby?
Old 12-19-2018, 02:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure any of these constitute a hobby, but they are things I enjoy.
Reading (daily)
Photography
Cooking/baking

In the past, I've made jewelry, candles, knitted, etc ... I tried painting once, but I lack talent in that space!
Old 12-19-2018, 02:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Portrait sketching
reading
home decor
floral design
crafting
when I can find time that is
here are a few things Ive done:
these are just practice sketches.

crafts:

I also did all the flowers for my nieces wedding

Old 12-19-2018, 03:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasspace View Post
Portrait sketching
reading
home decor
floral design
crafting

Beautiful! You're really talented! I love your sketches!
Old 12-19-2018, 04:02 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I'm an avid hobby hopper!

I love to digiscrap, but I also enjoy paper crafts, crochet, hand lettering, reading, general crafting, drawing, painting, all the DIY projects, I used to sew, I've tried calligraphy, is Netflix a hobby? I'm also a photographer by trade, and I've dabbled in digiscrap designing as well. I'm sure there's more...

It's a problem.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:12 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I crochet quite a bit. I've made a whole lot of baby blankets and the odd full size one. Once in a while I knit, but I really hate knitting. I only do it to make knitted dishcloths, which I do like. It's a great way to fill up time on a slow night shift.

I used to sew back in the day when my girls were in dance, and for Halloween and such. Not anymore though unless I need to fix something.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Hmmm, I'm not sure I have hobbies outside of digiscrap. Do you think I can count planning trips as a hobby?
LOL! Yes, I'd consider that a hobby, Dawn!!
Old 12-20-2018, 12:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kiana*~ View Post
Other hobbies include reading, listening to music and finding new music to listen to, lol, fishing, and looking at all the pretty kits that I want to buy but don't have enough funds to do so

I also write poetry, but that's not a hobby, that's a true gift/talent and a therapeutic outlet
Kiana, I love reading, too. I've had to relegate it to ONLY before bed because I could "waste" a whole day sitting on the couch with a good book. As it is, I need to be in bed an hour before I'm ready to go to sleep so I have time to read!
I would LOVE to read some of your poetry!! Have you done any LOs with some of your work??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I'm not sure any of these constitute a hobby, but they are things I enjoy.
Reading (daily)
Photography
Cooking/baking

In the past, I've made jewelry, candles, knitted, etc ... I tried painting once, but I lack talent in that space!
Sheri, I think those are definitely hobbies. I think anything that feeds your soul can be considered a hobby. Even trying out new things can be a hobby.
Like you, I tried painting... not my forte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasspace View Post
Portrait sketching
reading
home decor
floral design
crafting
I also did all the flowers for my nieces wedding
Ella, you are a "Jill" of all Trades!! Wow! I'm so impressed! I've always wanted to be able to draw, but never had the patience with myself to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlimarie View Post
I'm an avid hobby hopper!

I love to digiscrap, but I also enjoy paper crafts, crochet, hand lettering, reading, general crafting, drawing, painting, all the DIY projects, I used to sew, I've tried calligraphy, is Netflix a hobby? I'm also a photographer by trade, and I've dabbled in digiscrap designing as well. I'm sure there's more...

It's a problem.
Karli-Marie, I was kind of like that when I had more space to craft and leave things out. I love digi scrapping because I don't have to have all that space!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponytails View Post
I crochet quite a bit. I've made a whole lot of baby blankets and the odd full size one. Once in a while I knit, but I really hate knitting. I only do it to make knitted dishcloths, which I do like. It's a great way to fill up time on a slow night shift.

I used to sew back in the day when my girls were in dance, and for Halloween and such. Not anymore though unless I need to fix something.
I've always wanted to learn to crochet, Nat! My mom crochets, but she is left handed (and impatient LOL!), so she never taught us.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I love to quilt. I all about the piecing more than the actual quilting though. And I love designing quilt patterns. A while back I sold the patterns at a quilt shop where I used to live. My best selling one was a child's quilt that had racing cars on it. I designed it for my nephew's nursery and it turned out so cute. LOL
Old 12-20-2018, 03:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

THERE ARE HOBBIES OTHER THAN SCRAPPING???

Old 12-20-2018, 10:42 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Reading and muscle cars.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I love to quilt. I all about the piecing more than the actual quilting though. And I love designing quilt patterns. A while back I sold the patterns at a quilt shop where I used to live. My best selling one was a child's quilt that had racing cars on it. I designed it for my nephew's nursery and it turned out so cute. LOL
Wow, Lorie!! That's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
THERE ARE HOBBIES OTHER THAN SCRAPPING???
LOL!! LeeAndra, I thought the same thing as I was posting the question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyMilfd View Post
Reading and muscle cars.
Ashley, do you work on muscle cars, enjoy driving them, looking at them? My husband LOVES muscle cars. Years ago, he owned several and wanted more! He doesn't have them now, but still dreams of buying "a few".
Old 12-28-2018, 02:15 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Lovely quilts Lea! And wonderful sketches Ella! I used to draw too but never that well!

I think I'm too busy for other hobbies right now. I homeschool and I'm a designer so there is barely enough time to squeeze in layouts which I love to make. Summer I usually have a little more time but I'm usually making up for lost time with pages.

Occasionally I will dabble at book making. This past year I created a notebook for a friend. It's more like a hybrid project really as I use my digi-scrapbooking supplies to help create the cover and pages. I also run a Victorian website which has been my "hobby" since 1999.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

hmm... other hobbies - I guess searching for homeschooling curriculum could be a hobby as I'm constantly researching... I like to read... and I'm getting into bible journaling - not a hobby, but does use hobby supplies.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Reading is my other regular hobby. I dabble in small sewing projects but not on a regular basis.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by antebellum View Post
I think I'm too busy for other hobbies right now. I homeschool and I'm a designer so there is barely enough time to squeeze in layouts which I love to make. Summer I usually have a little more time but I'm usually making up for lost time with pages.

Occasionally I will dabble at book making. This past year I created a notebook for a friend. It's more like a hybrid project really as I use my digi-scrapbooking supplies to help create the cover and pages. I also run a Victorian website which has been my "hobby" since 1999.
I definitely think you have your hands full! I homeschooled my boys for 7 years. It was time consuming I'm amazed that you have time to design!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
hmm... other hobbies - I guess searching for homeschooling curriculum could be a hobby as I'm constantly researching... I like to read... and I'm getting into bible journaling - not a hobby, but does use hobby supplies.
LOL! Reba, I think searching for curriculum could be a hobby. It's time consuming enough!
Our internet was out a few days ago and it was nice to spend a day just reading. I've seen Bible journaling and it looks like a great way to meditate on scripture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
Reading is my other regular hobby. I dabble in small sewing projects but not on a regular basis.
Jacinda, it's so relaxing to get caught up in a good book!
Old 12-30-2018, 09:15 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I watch Korean Dramas as a hobby. A sweet escape when life gets too much for me.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Yes!! You are GOOD with your planning!!

---------------------------

And you guys, I thought you were amazing with your digital layouts---your other hobbies are amazing and you are all so great with them!!

---------------------------

My hobbies - well as I've aged, my carpel tunnel and vision started plaguing me which caused me to give up a lot of my hobbies. I loved to do cross-stitch. I had one cross-stitch that I made and kept when my oldest was born. It was one of the many items that went missing in this last move. I'm deeply saddened by it because I never kept any of my other finished projects as I gave them away as gifts.

I used to sew and sewed some clothes for my children when they were younger. I sewed clothes for my neighbor's kids. But when we moved to GA, the movers dropped my sewing machine and it died. We were never refunded the cost of the sewing machine and I never invested in another sewing machine.

I also used to bead jewelry, it's how I got the "Neverland" part of my name. I used to have a beading business where I did custom orders. A lot of my orders were new mother's bracelets or adding on to mother's bracelets. When we moved to DC, the movers (or the ride) shook my beading boxes and broke a lot of them causing thousands and thousands of beads to conglomerate at the bottom of the totes. I have four totes that have 6 containers with 144 slots that were half-way filled with swarovski crystals, all broken and mixed as one at the bottom of the totes. I have tried to resort them, but my lack of feeling and carpel tunnel doesn't help when I try. I've offered to pay the kids to sort them. They get as far as dumping them out and leaving them sit for a week. At this point, I'm ready to just dump them together in a container and sell them on EBay to get them out of my house. I do miss beading though.

I used to paper scrap...don't do that any more. I used to hybrid, but the color printer broke in this last move and now we have a black/white printer.

I used to have a lot of hobbies, but lately the only one I can physically do is my digital scrapbooking. It's quite sad actually

^^ I'm also sensing the movers weren't the greatest during our moves, as far as taking my hobbies away from me! I'm glad with digital I take my tower with me in our car and I don't let the movers touch it. They can't take this hobby away from me!

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 12-30-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
My hobbies - well as I've aged, my carpel tunnel and vision started plaguing me which caused me to give up a lot of my hobbies. I loved to do cross-stitch. I had one cross-stitch that I made and kept when my oldest was born. It was one of the many items that went missing in this last move. I'm deeply saddened by it because I never kept any of my other finished projects as I gave them away as gifts.

I used to sew and sewed some clothes for my children when they were younger. I sewed clothes for my neighbor's kids. But when we moved to GA, the movers dropped my sewing machine and it died. We were never refunded the cost of the sewing machine and I never invested in another sewing machine.

I also used to bead jewelry, it's how I got the "Neverland" part of my name. I used to have a beading business where I did custom orders. A lot of my orders were new mother's bracelets or adding on to mother's bracelets. When we moved to DC, the movers (or the ride) shook my beading boxes and broke a lot of them causing thousands and thousands of beads to conglomerate at the bottom of the totes. I have four totes that have 6 containers with 144 slots that were half-way filled with swarovski crystals, all broken and mixed as one at the bottom of the totes. I have tried to resort them, but my lack of feeling and carpel tunnel doesn't help when I try. I've offered to pay the kids to sort them. They get as far as dumping them out and leaving them sit for a week. At this point, I'm ready to just dump them together in a container and sell them on EBay to get them out of my house. I do miss beading though.

I used to paper scrap...don't do that any more. I used to hybrid, but the color printer broke in this last move and now we have a black/white printer.

I used to have a lot of hobbies, but lately the only one I can physically do is my digital scrapbooking. It's quite sad actually

^^ I'm also sensing the movers weren't the greatest during our moves, as far as taking my hobbies away from me! I'm glad with digital I take my tower with me in our car and I don't let the movers touch it. They can't take this hobby away from me!
Wow, Wendy! I'm so sorry you've had such bad luck with movers. I'm glad you have digital scrapping!! You're an amazing scrapper, and it doesn't take all the space other hobbies do
Old 12-30-2018, 09:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
I watch Korean Dramas as a hobby. A sweet escape when life gets too much for me.
I have another friend who really loves Korean Dramas and K-Pop. LOL! She's obsessed!
Old 12-30-2018, 10:56 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I love to quill, diamond paint and play DnD -- In fact DnD has been so consuming that I realized it has been over a year since I scrapped anything Trying now to return to my first love...scrapping
Old 12-31-2018, 08:59 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I have another friend who really loves Korean Dramas and K-Pop. LOL! She's obsessed!
Yes, it's so very easy to get sucked in. I spent hours on Youtube watching snippets & k-pop music videos... until I feel guilty for abandoning scrapbooking
Old 12-31-2018, 02:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
Yes, it's so very easy to get sucked in. I spent hours on Youtube watching snippets & k-pop music videos... until I feel guilty for abandoning scrapbooking
That's what it sounds like from my friend Pam! Once she starts, it's hard to stop
LOL! Maybe you could scrap and watch? I've done that with movies... sort of watch on one screen while I'm scrapping on the other. As long as I'm not journaling, it works well
Old 12-31-2018, 02:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've taken up making cards again after a hiatus for many years (thus having to buy everything again - lol) and also have start painting signs.
I keep forgetting to take photos of the cards I've made, but here are a few of the signs:

Last edited by JillW; 12-31-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
I've taken up making cards again after a hiatus for many years (thus having to buy everything again - lol) and also have start painting signs.
I keep forgetting to take photos of the cards I've made, but here are a few of the signs:
I used to make cards, too. How fun that you've started again! I would have to buy everything again, too! LOL!
I love your signs! You are very talented, Jill!!
Old 12-31-2018, 04:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Reading, our little farm, hmm... planning things I end up deciding not to do. LOL
Old 01-02-2019, 05:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
planning things I end up deciding not to do. LOL
Oh my goodness, Sherri! I should list this as one of my hobbies
Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I've been out of the scrapping loop for a while, but I haven't had much for hobbies in the mean time! I've got my mojo back which I'm super excited about!! I do enjoy watching TV and playing board games with my kids.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I paint! mostly rocks, and mostly pokemon, but not always. Sometimes it's canvases or cards, sometimes it's other nerdy stuff. I also draw a lot.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:32 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley View Post
Well, I've been out of the scrapping loop for a while, but I haven't had much for hobbies in the mean time! I've got my mojo back which I'm super excited about!! I do enjoy watching TV and playing board games with my kids.
I'm glad you got your mojo back! That's always a good feeling!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2019, 10:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
I paint! mostly rocks, and mostly pokemon, but not always. Sometimes it's canvases or cards, sometimes it's other nerdy stuff. I also draw a lot.
I've seen some of your projects. They look like a lot of fun!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2019, 09:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsieanne View Post
I love to quill, diamond paint and play DnD -- In fact DnD has been so consuming that I realized it has been over a year since I scrapped anything Trying now to return to my first love...scrapping
Hey Elsieanne! I noticed that you're in Boise. I'm in Boise, too!! We have a group that's been getting together to scrap (some of the ladies crochet or do needlepoint). These are all ladies that I've met online through scrapping
I'd love to send you the information. Is it okay if I PM you?