Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-11-2019, 01:07 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Valentine's Day

I know many think Valentine's Day is a Hallmark Holiday made up of buying Valentine's for our children to pass out cards and candy in their classes, or an excuse for our spouses/significant other to spoil us

So how are you celebrating Valentine's Day?
Are you doing anything or do you plan on waiting until the weekend when it's the weekend and you aren't busy with work?
What's on you agenda for Valentine's Day?

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 02-11-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:20 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

On Valentine's Day, we'll be doing nothing special even though it's our 21st wedding anniversary!

If all goes as planned for this week, my son has off from school Thursday for parent/teacher meetings, which I will be attending one of the time slots. Then later that day, the older kids have a doctor appointment that will tie us up for dinnertime.

We had talked about doing something this coming weekend, but my husband's re-enlistment ceremony will be Friday. Afterwards we'll be celebrating as a whole at a restaurant which we'll combine his re-enlistment and our anniversary to save on an eating out bill.

So I guess nothing special for us!
Old 02-11-2019, 03:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We don't really celebrate it although I do cook us both a nice meal once he gets in from work, I usually do steak and then some chocolate cake for dessert but I'm on a diet so I'll have to skip the cake part this year!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have to decide between going to book club & having my weekly scheduled Skype/craft hour with one of my best friends! Maybe we'll go out to dinner on Fri or Sat...
Old 02-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I hate Valentines Day; it just makes me feel guilty for not doing crafty things with my kids.

Plus, why should I go out to a fancy dinner just because some joker decided to call Feb. 14 a holiday? I SHOULDN'T. If I want to go out to a fancy dinner with my husband, I'll do it because *I* want to when *I* want to.

Also I will probably make cookies with heart sprinkles with Ariana because someone gave us the sprinkles so now I have to, and I will probably make a layout about it because I like a good excuse to scrapbook. But I will still hate Valentine's Day.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We don't do anything. Never really have. I'll usually put a treat together for the kids but that's about it.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:39 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We've never really celebrated Vday. Not a big holiday for us.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It's not a big deal for us either, but February can be such a dreary month that I welcome anything that offers some kind of diversion. I'm expected to eat chocolately desserts and have flowers and pink things? OK! I'm in! We make it fun and silly and there is absolutely no pressure to do anything "special" or "significant." This year, my father-in-law will be with us on Valentine's day, so with my son, my husband, and my f-i-l, I figure I have three valentines and I'm going to make a fun dinner and dessert. I like any excuse to party.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I get little boxes of chocolates for my kids and make them cards. My husband and I don't really do much for Valentine's. I'll make him a card, and he'll probably grab some grocery store flowers for me. Sometimes, I go all out baking a cake or cookies and making a big dinner. It just depends on how I'm feeling that day.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thursday is laundry so day, so there's that. LOL

My favorite meal is filet Mignon, so that's what I'm making. I'm excited to have discovered reverse searing, so I don't have to freeze outside at the grill this year.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's not a big deal for us. It is just another day they want us to spend $$ like every other holiday! I get annoyed every time I go to a store LOL. My kids are homeschooled so we've never even had to do the buying of Valentine's cards. The positive I see is that it is an excuse for me to eat chocolate LOL. I'll buy the kiddos each one of those small dollar store boxes of chocolates and we'll play board games together.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Awwww...how sweet that your anniversary is on Valentine's Day, Wendy!

I'm not sure yet what we'll do. Over the years, we've done a little bit of everything - fancy celebrations, low-key dinners at home, etc. Last year, my daughter had a basketball game to cheer for on Valentine's Day, so that's how we spent our "romantic" evening. My boyfriend usually gets me flowers, which is sweet, but I'm almost tempted to tell him not to this year since I have to worry about the cat eating them! Ahhh...real life is so different from the movies!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:21 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Happy anniversary, Wendy!!

I usually buy a small box of chocolates, or something like that for hubby & the kids.
I did more when the kids were young. We'd make cookies for school to hand out with Valentines (either store bought or homemade).
Every few years, I do something special - write things I love about them on hearts and tape them up on the wall. One year, I did that leading each day leading up to Valentine's Day.

My boys both have GFs this year. I took Connor shopping yesterday to get something for his GF. He ended up with a big teddy bear, some candy and a frame to put pictures of them in. It's kind of cute to see how sweet he is and watch him struggle with figuring out what to get.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:22 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have a tradition of going to IHOP. When my husband and I had our first Valentine's together while in college, every place we showed up to was packed! We didn't feel like waiting around since we were starving! There was an IHOP nearby and wasn't crowded so we decided to eat there. So we have made a tradition of it and have always gone to IHOP together. Our kids love our tradition and have always known Valentine's Day as pancake day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 02-11-2019, 11:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsashbaugh View Post
We have a tradition of going to IHOP. When my husband and I had our first Valentine's together while in college, every place we showed up to was packed! We didn't feel like waiting around since we were starving! There was an IHOP nearby and wasn't crowded so we decided to eat there. So we have made a tradition of it and have always gone to IHOP together. Our kids love our tradition and have always known Valentine's Day as pancake day.
Oh my goodness, how sweet! I LOVE this, Mary!!!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We were given a GC to Red Lobster for Christmas, that we were GOING to use for a Valentine's dinner. But, probably not for another week or 2. On Valentine's Day, the girls have school, my husband has to work, and we have our volunteer day for Forgotten Harvest. Then for the weekend we are going on a snowmobile trip with friends of ours. So, maybe next weekend we'll get a date night! They are very few and far between...maybe once every 4 months!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:38 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

my son loves valentines day... *sigh*

We have a homeschooling valentine party at the bowling ally during the day, so I have to get him working on his box for his valentines.

I always have made hubby the same meal (or a version of it depending if we were on some diet or something)... Rachael Ray's You won't be single long pasta... it's the first meal I made him when we were dating. And that is served with Burgundy spoon roast... I'm a gift person - so hubby will get me chocolate.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:27 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I hate Valentines Day; it just makes me feel guilty for not doing crafty things with my kids.

Plus, why should I go out to a fancy dinner just because some joker decided to call Feb. 14 a holiday? I SHOULDN'T. If I want to go out to a fancy dinner with my husband, I'll do it because *I* want to when *I* want to.

Also I will probably make cookies with heart sprinkles with Ariana because someone gave us the sprinkles so now I have to, and I will probably make a layout about it because I like a good excuse to scrapbook. But I will still hate Valentine's Day.
I love you so much. I hate valentine's day too

Darcy will be on night shift on the 14th.. we don't celebrate anyways. I hate going out to eat let alone going out to eat when everything is packed with people trying too hard :P

lol ps. no offence to anyone who loves valentine's day! just to be clear lol
Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I love you so much. I hate valentine's day too

Darcy will be on night shift on the 14th.. we don't celebrate anyways. I hate going out to eat let alone going out to eat when everything is packed with people trying too hard :P

lol ps. no offence to anyone who loves valentine's day! just to be clear lol
Oh why would anyone take offense to it?! I love Valentine's Day, but it's my anniversary. If it weren't for that, I'm sure I wouldn't care. But it's also why I made a lot of Hallmark references in the main post because I know MANY who view it as that and hate the holiday!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yes my husband thinks it's very commercial to celebrate it. In France we never did cards for everyone. Just the one person we loved. Even as kids. So I feel like it's the true meaning of Valentine's day.
I did buy cards for my daughter to distribute at school but that's only because they specifically sent home a list of all the kids in the class in prep for their V-day party... kinda silly but oh well.
The only year I got something for V-day was tickets to Lady Gaga's concert and he didn't even want to come with me. lol it just happened to land around V-day that he gave it to me. I still cherish this concert very much!

Also the only other time I tried to convince him to go out to dinner it took us forever to get a table at a restaurant and they even forgot about us once sitted… it was probably a bad choice of restaurant but I never tried again. lol

Last edited by Leablahblah; 02-11-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Valentine's day is Kennedy's birthday so unfortunately it's kind of a big deal around here lol
We usually do cake, she gets a present plus I get her some candy and then either I make dinner or we let her choose where she wants dinner. (which this year I believe is taco bell ) So I guess we don't really celebrate Valentine's Day but rather Kennedy's birthday.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I refuse to wait in line at a restaurant and then they want to rush you out to get the next people into your table. We stopped doing that yrs ago. What I like to do now is make a simple yet yummy dinner (often a local butcher shop does a special on steak, prawns and baked potatoes) and we'll stay at home and watch a good movie or two together. With all the snow we're getting this week I think staying home is a very good thing
Old 02-11-2019, 03:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband usually makes seafood alfredo and sometimes he gets me flowers. My mom always buys my kids some little goodies and we usually make cookies or a cake together. I can't remember the last time my husband and I spent the holiday without the kids!
Old 02-11-2019, 03:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyxann View Post
Valentine's day is Kennedy's birthday so unfortunately it's kind of a big deal around here lol
We usually do cake, she gets a present plus I get her some candy and then either I make dinner or we let her choose where she wants dinner. (which this year I believe is taco bell ) So I guess we don't really celebrate Valentine's Day but rather Kennedy's birthday.
My daughter's best friend is a Valentine's Day baby as well!! It's so special to share a birthday on that day!! Enjoy her birthday and happy early birthday!!
Old 02-11-2019, 04:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
we let her choose where she wants dinner. (which this year I believe is taco bell
This made made laugh!! I don't think you'll have to wait long there, or be rushed out on Valentine's Day!
Old 02-11-2019, 04:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
This made made laugh!! I don't think you'll have to wait long there, or be rushed out on Valentine's Day!
Plus it's cheap hahahaha Sometimes it's easy to please an 8 year old lol
Old 02-11-2019, 04:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Plus it's cheap hahahaha Sometimes it's easy to please an 8 year old lol
That's a good thing!! Enjoy it while it lasts! LOL!!
Old 02-11-2019, 04:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You guys crack me up!
We usually go out to dinner sometime around Valentines Day and get each other cards. My son has his college conference diving meets this week and we are going Thursday so hopefully we get to spend some time with him that day and take him out to eat!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Usually we just get takeout (Olive Garden to go is our standby) and watch a movie at home. Valentine's day is actually an anniversary for us (dating wise) but I usually don't want to emerge from the doom and gloom known as february to bother to go out. This year we are going out though because both of us are off work early enough that we can go to Tepanyaki before most people are even off work lol. So we will go to tepanyaki and then go home and probably work on house projects. lol
Old 02-12-2019, 10:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I bought a couple little treats from the boys (more so so that they remember the holiday even exists), other than that it's just another day around here.... I've never been interested in celebrating 'love day', I really don't like the hype, I hate going to crowded places, I do enjoy dressing up, but there are no fancy places to go where it would be appropriate (and that is not an exaggeration.... there literally are no 'fancy' type places around here), so there's no point in dressing up... in fact, the only thing I DO like about valentines day is when it is over and all that candy is 50% off! LOL
Old 02-13-2019, 12:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Normally we order dinner in after the kids are asleep and watch a show together. Very low key. DH brings home flowers for me and our daughter, I give him chocolates or an itunes gift card, and we give the kids candy.

DH and I hardly ever get to spend time together out of the house without the kids. But he's taking this week off before he starts a new job next week. Coincidentally, Thursday is the only day this week that I don't have to work. So we're doing a big date day--we'll have from 8:30 until 3 just the two of us! We'd have the date day even if it wasn't Valentines day, but I think it's extra special because it is. Not sure what we'll do yet, but I know we're going to go out for a nice lunch someplace and focus on time together instead of chocolates and flowers this year.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:53 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

We're on a tight budget this year, so it'll just be another day.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:32 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

my boys love valentines day so much. i don't understand it myself. but i'm embracing it like crazy this year!! i'm giddy with excitement about the sugar overload i have planned for tomorrow!! i have chocolate chip cookies the size of dinner plates and xoxo's sugar confetti for breakfast, Snoopy chocolate bars for after school snacks and frosted cherry + cheese danish for dinner. they're going to be sooooo thrilled and ridiculously hopped up on the sugar
Old 02-13-2019, 02:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Happy (early) anniversary Wendy!

We're not a big Valentine's family either! Hubs and I always have a conversation a few days before a holiday that goes something along the lines of " I didn't get you anything so don't go surprising me with anything okay?" Lol... we're more of a want it get it now, rather than wait for a holiday kind of couple.

We always make something cute for Valentine's to hand out at school but over the years my enthusiasm for that is waning. This year we just printed off "You're beary cute" little notecards, cut them out and stapled them to some gummy bear packets. Just a notch above store bought Valentines but hey, they're happy! I'm happy we don't have to make boxes this year!

My kids usually get some sort of chocolate and a stuffed animal but after having just purged to move into a much smaller house I'm not about to go buy more useless crap so I bought them cute Disney gift cards. They are saving for another Disney trip so I figure this is dual-purpose for me right? Hehehehe
Old 02-13-2019, 06:48 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

We had plans for next week, but my dad is sick right now so if he isn't doing better, we might have to put a pin in it. I'm really hoping we don't have to because it's been forever since my husband and I have had a night off without the kids!
Old 02-14-2019, 11:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My husband calls it a force day of romance, and it's so true! LOL And everything is so much more expensive just because of the day. I usually get a box of chocolates and I give chocolate to my hubby and my son, and that's about it. So happy I don't have to worry about getting Valentines to send to school.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:42 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love holidays & my husband hates holidays so the kids and I celebrate and he sits around being a Grinch.

The kids got Xbox games as their VDay gifts this year. My mom also bought them a big bag of candy (each!) after school yesterday.

We have Family Dinner on Thursdays so we all ate together and then my mom & son had made frosted brownies with sprinkles that they cut into heart shapes. We bought mini-boxes of candy to give everyone, my mom made homemade cards for my sister & me, and my dad gave my sister, my mom, & me bouquets of four roses (to represent the three of us + him).

It was a good day.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:29 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Growing up, my dad always made a big deal of Valentine's Day. We would always get heart shaped boxes of chocolate and flowers from him. We'd eat a special dinner as a family, or sometimes my parents would go out on a date. Imagine my surprise when I married an anti-Valentine'sDay-er! My husband doesn't buy into it... and although we've been married for 16 years I still haven't stopped expecting something from him. Anything... a card, a box of chocolates? Something. It doesn't have to be big. I wish I could stop caring, but it *feels* important to me because my entire childhood it was. Heck, even to this day my dad sends me flowers and a card. Poor hubby! He was probably never going to live up to dad's extreme v-day legacy.