Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Nintendo DS systems..

So, I want to buy my son (6 years) a Nintendo DS for Christmas this year. But I know there are many types- DSi, DSlite, the 3D one... so I am wondering which would be best for his age, or if it's all a preference (I don't know the difference between the regular and lite). I am also wondering, if regular games can be played in the new 3D system... and can the 3D games be played in the regular DS. (I really don't think I want to get him the DSi, because I don't want him to have access to the internet all the time, or does it have passwords or something?) I really have no clue about these DS systems, I still have my Nintendo GAMEBOY!!! LOL. My son is a Mario fanatic, so I know I'll be getting him some Mario games and probably a Lego Star Wars game.

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 10-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Games for the 3DS cannot be played on the DS Lite or DSi, but games for the DS Lite and DSi can be played on the 3DS. They'll just display in 2D vs 3D.

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/software-comparison

With the DSi (and DSi XL--which my D has, JP has the DS Lite), you can set parental controls to restrict access to the internet connection. Those settings are password protected. Honestly though, it's not as though they can just surf the web on the DSi. It just doesn't work that well at all. You can also restrict ratings for the games on the DSi. We have D's set to disallow anything over E10+.

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/advi...s-nintendo-dsi

The differences between the DSi (newer) and the DS Lite (2nd generation--the original DS is much larger) are the internet connectivity and that the DSi has cameras. Crappy cameras. D has fun with them though. It's a constant source of amusement for him to take pictures of his feet.

All in all, it's a preference thing. My boys are content with what they have...well, for the most part. D really wants the 3DS, but since he rarely even uses his DSi these days (he's more attached to Andrew's old iPod.), that won't be happening. I think that if there are any games for the 3DS that you really want for your son, then go that route as those games won't play on the other DS systems. Other than that...yeah, preference.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My boys got 3DS' for their birthday a month ago, trading in their DSi's - they LOVE them. They don't do a lot of surfing the net with them, but the 3DS is a Netflix ready device, so they can watch NF on them and that's easy to track.

They transferred over all their old games to the 3DS so, yes they all work on there.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

all I have to add is for a 6 year old Id get him the DSi XL. I have the Mariokart version of the DSi XL and had a DS Lite before and love the XL over the DS Lite. The screen is bigger, it comes with a bigger stylus, it is just nicer to me. I also think it would be easier for little kids.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 10-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My boys have the DS lites and they love them. We got refurbished ones from Game Stop and they were $89. they have several mario games and Lego Batman (among other games but these are the most popular) and we just got them Lego Star Wars. If we were going to get them a new system I guess we would go for the DSi because the screen is bigger but they are content with what they have.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My seven year old loves his DS lite. Of course, he doesn't know what he's missing with the other versions... or, if he does know, he doesn't care enough to mention it. I went with it simply because it was the cheapest. He got it when he was six and loved it from day one. My five year old will be getting one for xmas, and my guess is that in another year, my oldest will probably graduate to some version of an ipod.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the great tips (and those links). I didn't really know anything about them at all, so thanks so much! I like that the 3D one is netflix ready and can play regular games too, I just wish it didn't cost so much. Hm.. got some decisions to make.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm buying DS the 3DS for his 8th birthday next week. I was going to get the DS-Lite, but Target and Wal-mart both told me that they recently stopped carrying it. They used to sell it for $99, which made it a great deal. But locally only pink is still available, and online it's about $140 to order at the places that still have it (at least the ones I looked at). If I'm going to spend that much, I'd rather get the 3DS. I don't want my DS to have internet access either, and the battery life is better on the 3-D one than the internet version. I also think he'll be more interested in the 3D graphics than the camera or other DSi features.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I saw the regular DS and the DSi's for $140.. since the 3DS is $160-170 and has more features, it makes a lot more sense to spend a bit more on it