Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default First Irene, Now Sandy...

Urgh... I'm not a happy camper right now.. you may remember Hurricane Irene and how it destroyed a lot of riverways in New England last year... Well, on Monday-Tuesday we're expecting Hurricane Sandy.
I live right at the base of a major river that runs right down the mountain. It has a 20 foot high floodwall around it because even regular rain raises this river quite high. Well, with Irene, the water was right up to the top. Many houses, bridges, garages, cars, and trees fell all along the river. It literally quadrupled in width because of Irene, and the towns spent months redirecting the river with diggers. I'm not kidding. This video went nationwide on news channels last fall, and was shot a few houses down from mine. We were evacuated from our house because they thought the floodwall would go down and wash away the whole street. Imagine the river in this video, where the people are standing, usually being 20 feet down below the ground level...

Anyways... they still haven't fixed or reinforced that floodwall from the damage of Irene, and now we have Hurricane Sandy coming in a few days. All ememergency departments in our town are preplanning, about to set up cement walls to redirect the water from the houses if the floodwall breaks. They have engineers from the tri-state area on their way to work on it! But they are doubtful that would help because we're talking millions of gallons of water pouring down a river, they can't stop it no matter what they do. They are pretty sure the floodwall will break, and they are also pretty sure that if it breaks, the whole street will wash away..

My dad is a firefighter so we get the inside info that they are keeping under wraps for now (they don't want to start a panic). We already know that our street is going to be evacuated around Monday morning, so we're probably going to be heading for higher ground this weekend.
So, if you guys never hear from me again... harharharrr...j/k... Fun fun...pretty please pray for us and our house and our neighbors and their houses and stuffs..

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Last edited by rachaelsscraps; 10-25-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Prayers! I hope the wall holds and you guys are okay
Old 10-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sending lots of P&PT that it isn't as bad as they're saying and everything holds.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Hoping it stays out to sea. We will be seeing some of it tomorrow and Saturday here on the east coast of Florida. Just lots of wind and rain along with possible beach erosion. Hopefully no injuries or deaths as a result though here in the US. I saw it is responsible for 11 deaths already.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
Hoping it stays out to sea. We will be seeing some of it tomorrow and Saturday here on the east coast of Florida. Just lots of wind and rain along with possible beach erosion. Hopefully no injuries or deaths as a result though here in the US. I saw it is responsible for 11 deaths already.
I hope everything is safe your way!
I just saw that on the news about the 11 deaths, in the Bahamas I think

Old 10-26-2012, 02:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my God! That sounds terrible, Rachael... I'll be thinking of you and I really hope the floodwall won't break and everyone will be safe. Take care!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Stay safe Rachael! I hope it doesn't hit too badly.

I just saw where the death total in the Bahamas is now up to 21

I'm very very near the coast in Maine and we are bracing hard for this one - it is being dubbed a "perfect storm" because of the predicted conditions surrounding it - there is a winter storm growing in the midwest that is set to collide with Sandy plus it is going to hit during a full moon, and the tides are higher during a full moon even without a storm. The higher tides with the combination of the 2 storms can be devastating in many ways Thankfully I live on TOP of a big hill so no immediate threat of flooding for me, but the town could suffer a lot of damage.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Getting a little nervous here, too. I hope the brunt of it stays out to sea!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh Rachel I am so sorry you are going through this! I pray that you and your family and belongings are all safe. We were in the Bahamas last week so this feels a little close to home for us too even though it clearly is not! I'm glad you have time to prepare and pack! Hugs!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

We have been watching this storm...my husband is a weather person. We're praying for you and everyone in the path of this storm.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Monica - the weather people up here this morning said there are 2 models showing 2 different tracks right now - one is for it to hit us up here in New England and NY and the other is hitting more down your way in Virginia.... Stay safe!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Many prayers for those of you on the east coast!

They are even talking about it affect us here in Wisconsin - pushing that midwest snow up my way for Halloween... eww, snow.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
Monica - the weather people up here this morning said there are 2 models showing 2 different tracks right now - one is for it to hit us up here in New England and NY and the other is hitting more down your way in Virginia.... Stay safe!
Thank you...I'm actually not in Virginia anymore. I need to update that. We were in Virginia when Irene hit and lost power for several days. My SIL is in DC and my husband called her husband yesterday to make sure they were watching things and taking precaution.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the well wishes and prayers!
This is a crazy storm. The news here is showing that it could end up anywhere between the Carolinas up through Maine. But since it's such a wide storm, no matter where it lands it'll affect many states and Canadian provinces. I hope everyone stays safe!

Old 10-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh Rachael, I remember how bad it was for ya with Irene. I will keep you in my prayers and hope it steers clear of you. We are already getting some good gusty winds here and we are only supposed to get the outer bands tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh gosh. I will pray that you and your house is safe... Storms like that are so scray. We are super cold this morning, but it isn't snowing yet.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Keeping all of you in the storm's path in my thoughts!!!

Penny
Old 10-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Prayers for all - stay safe!

Holly
Old 10-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Scary! Stay safe! Hope you find a good place to ride out the storm!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I'm hoping it ends up not being as bad as they're forecasting. My manager asked today if I could bring my laptop home with me Monday night just in case I can't get into the office. I agreed but did remind that if there's a loss of power, I won't be doing any work.

I've got the 10:00 news on now and they still seem fairly sure that it's going to make landfall in the New Jersey area but there's still a slight chance it could happen here in New England. I've got a feeling it's going to be an interesting couple of days.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Please stay safe everyone. Hoping and praying it turns and heads back out to sea.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yikes - that sounds scary! I hope it stays out to sea too...I'm in Virginia and am already getting anxious...I left Florida to get away from this kind of craziness.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm in Virginia, near DC. We're all stocked up for a few days without power, but we still need to do some things around the house and pack emergency stuff just in case. I'll admit that I'm checking storm coverage a little obsessively. The DC area is a bit notorious for weatherelated false alarms, but I'm starting to feel like this won't be one of them.