Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Would you fly with a 3 1/2 week old?

My brother is getting married this weekend. And yes, I know weddings are a big deal, but my health and my baby's health are much more important. There would be no hard feelings from either family if I ended up not going.

I'm a little worried it will be exhausting for me. And now, on top of that, Sadie had a temp of 100 this morning and her nose is stuffy (where did she get that from, I have no idea). I haven't checked her temp again yet (she's sleeping) but I will throughout the day.

Anyway... should I still go? Should I just stay home and take it easy and take care of me and baby? A nurse at the ped office said the doctors would discourage it because she isn't 2 months and hasn't had her immunizations yet... but there are plenty of people who don't immunize right? Or do it late? And the kids are fine?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

If she has a cold I woudln't :0/ only b/c there are sooooooooooo many germs on planes with nowhere to go b/c the air just circulates. She probably has enough of your immunity right now to combat not having shots yet but even *I* get sick when I fly so not sure how taxing it would be on her little body. Is the rest of your family going?

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No, it was only going to be me and the baby because we're going there later this year and didn't want to pay for flights for everyone!

The other thing that's bad is I have a layover both ways, so it would be 4 different flights/planes, which is even more exposure.

I think I'll see if she is worse tomorrow and judge it on that.

Plus, they are having a reception here so we'll get to see them then if nothing else.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

my mom caught Tuberculosis on a plane in 1993. She had to have a physical in order to fly overseas (we moved to Germany). Her TB test came back fine two days before we flew. The day after we landed she had to go to the doctor and she had active TB. She had to go on meds for 9 months. Granted, it was a 14 hour flight. But, planes make me nervous now for illness. I don't think I could do it with a baby that small. But, it's not my relative getting married so it's hard to say for sure. GL!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Hard to say with that age. I know if they're stuffed up, it's more painful when you ascend and descend...BUT if you're still nursing you can just nurse her and that should help a lot. I flew with Mason when he was 6 months and he did just fine, but I did have to nurse him when we were taking off...he slept for the entire flight.

As for exposure, well...there's exposure anywhere, really...as long as the baby isn't like sucking on the armrest or something, and you keep your hands as clean as possible, you should be ok. As a mom of a kid with literally NO immunity, I learned that you can't keep your kids away from everything that *could* make them sick because then they never develop an immunity and wouldn't have much of a life, lol.

When I flew with Mason we had layovers and it wasn't a big deal, either...I just had taken my stroller onto the plane with me and they put it below and brought it back up for me when I got off the plane...helped a LOT with getting him to sleep and staying asleep...and well, just keeping him contained, lol.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it...if you want to go to the wedding and the baby isn't too sick, I would go.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I probably would, as long as you feel up to it and you think you can handle it by yourself. Especially if you're nursing, it will probably not be too difficult. You can nurse her during takeoff, and she'll probably sleep most of the way.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I don't think though you can compare an immune system of a 3+ month old baby to one of a month old...esp if the 3+ month old has had shots.

I still don't think I'd fly w/her that young esp with her running a fever already

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Is driving totally out of the question!?!? I hate flying BUT I guess if I didn't I would consider it, especailly if you are still nursing. I mean you could check a carset and only have a carry on and she will most likely sleep the entire time or nurse so I bet it will be easy as pie!!! Also the lay overs wouldn't bother me to much as long as I didn't have only like 15 minutes to get from one plane to the next That might be pushing a bit much!!

If your sure that no feeling will be hurt (including yours) then I wouldn't see a problem with waiting till the reception near you to celbrate with them!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wouldn't go, I'd be afraid she'd catch RSV or something else on the plane. And since the reception is going to be nearby it just makes more sense!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

We flew from Washington state to Georgia (layover) and then on to Alabama when my daughter was 12 days old for my grandmothers funeral... She did perfect... Didn't get sick or anything... If your daughter is seeming to be really sick I wouldn't go, but if she was in good health and everything I don't see why not...

Mommy to two baby girls

Hayden Louise - 3.14.08
and
Leah Noelle -10.27.10
Old 04-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

thanks for all your thoughts and opinions, I really do appreciate it.

And elizabeth, driving is totally out of the question... it'd be 20 hours each way, and that doesn't include stopping to nurse a million times!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

OO... Another thing... if you do decide to go, call the airline before hand and let them know that you just had a baby... We did that, and I had a c-section, and they got me to the front of the line for the security check, wheeled me to my gate, and everything... One of our layovers was a short one and we would not have made it in time if the guy that was pushing my wheel chair wasn't there... He was able to hold the plane for all of us... And also, gate check your carseat if you can... We have done that on 4 different trips... Gate checked our travel system... It really helps... Just a few ideas

Mommy to two baby girls

Hayden Louise - 3.14.08
and
Leah Noelle -10.27.10
Old 04-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah8914 View Post
thanks for all your thoughts and opinions, I really do appreciate it.

And elizabeth, driving is totally out of the question... it'd be 20 hours each way, and that doesn't include stopping to nurse a million times!
20 hours you say yea driving is DEFINITELY out of the question!! Good luck Sarah...hope you figure something out that works for everyone!!! ((hugs))

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Since she is already sick (temperature) I would not go. She probably wouldn't pick up anything unless you did, but if she is sick, you will get worn out and so will she. And with babies they can go from just a little sniffles to Mommy panic in a matter of hours and it wouldn't be fun away from your doctor and home. If she was perfectly healthy, I'd say it would be up to your level of comfort of traveling alone with her, but since her immune system is already fighting off something, it would be smart to stay home. Then be ready to party when your brother and his new wife have their reception! People will understand!
Old 04-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If she weren't already ill, I'd consider it. But, with a fever and stuffy nose, I just wouldn't.

Just as an aside, I would NOT recommend checking the carseat with luggage unless you can pack it in its original box with extra padding around it. Gate checking is marginally better, but it relieves the airline of all liability if something should happen to the seat. It's always better to have the child in their carseat, so bringing it to the gate is the better option should their be an open seat on the plane.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I haven't read the other replies Sarah, but I know we wanted to fly with Keira when she was a newborn and most doctors won't approve it until they're at least 6 weeks because the air isn't clean, and then they still don't like it when they're that little. We ended up waiting until she was 6 months and her eardrum burst, it was just crappy all the way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah8914 View Post
My brother is getting married this weekend. And yes, I know weddings are a big deal, but my health and my baby's health are much more important. There would be no hard feelings from either family if I ended up not going.

I'm a little worried it will be exhausting for me. And now, on top of that, Sadie had a temp of 100 this morning and her nose is stuffy (where did she get that from, I have no idea). I haven't checked her temp again yet (she's sleeping) but I will throughout the day.

Anyway... should I still go? Should I just stay home and take it easy and take care of me and baby? A nurse at the ped office said the doctors would discourage it because she isn't 2 months and hasn't had her immunizations yet... but there are plenty of people who don't immunize right? Or do it late? And the kids are fine?
Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
If she weren't already ill, I'd consider it. But, with a fever and stuffy nose, I just wouldn't.
This is how I feel too. I hope she's feeling better soon and that it all works out!

Old 04-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to MelissaL88

Like Meg said, if she weren't already sick, I might consider it. But, with her not feeling well, it just seems a little risky to me. Also, I traveled with my 9 month old son and had to change planes both coming and going and it was a huge PITA. So, with those two strikes against it, I'd say stay home and not stress yourself out.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I definitely wouldn't whether she was sick or not, she's too young! the airplane wouldn't be safe, not to mention all the well meaning relatives wanting to pass her around.

If your brother has hired a videographer and the ceremony site has internet available, they can stream the wedding live to you I'm in the middle of wedding planning and we are doing that for some of my family in Texas and some of his friends in Florida. If it cost him extra, just put the money you would have spent on plane tickets towards that cost for them.

www.byrdsblessings.com
Old 04-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I flew with both of my kiddos when they were that little, and it was wayyyyyyyyyy easier than flying wtih them the bigger they got!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I probably would go, if it was something I really wanted to attend, and the baby was doing ok. If she has a temp and is stuffy, I probably wouldn't.

Kellie's right, it's WAY easier flying with a nursing newborn than a 12 month old, definitely!

Good luck deciding!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I just flew back in January when Isabella was 3 weeks old and she did great. She wasn't showing any signs of sickness, so that might have made me change my mind. She slept through the flights going and coming.

*My Etsy*
Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyscrap View Post
Hard to say with that age. I know if they're stuffed up, it's more painful when you ascend and descend...

My family flew to Russia (a long 12 hour trip) and I was getting over a cold- but the pressure when we were landing was excruciating (spelling?)- I ended up with a ruptured eardrum from it! You should make sure your baby doesn't have an ear infection before going, if you decide to... because she could end up with compromised hearing. (I was chewing gum and drinking water, but nothing helped at all! Not even the eardrops my mom had from her eardrum rupturing when she went the month before we all did!!!)

And it is still cold and flu season, so she can definitely catch something! She's so young and since she hasn't had her shots.... I wouldn't bring her on the plane! The risks outweigh the benefit of going, for sure!!! I'm sure your family would understand why you couldn't go! I hope everything works out for you!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Last edited by rachaelsscraps; 04-06-2009 at 09:21 PM.