Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-06-2020, 07:59 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default Organizing scrapped/to be scrapped photos?

Does anyone have a system for organizing their photos they've already scrapped and the ones that are on the to be scrapped list? I came back to digital scrapping after a 7 year hiatus, and because it's been so long and I used to be mainly a paper scrapper, I decided to start fresh and do allllllll my pages over again, because the old ones are so out-of-date or I don't like them anymore (and let's face it, it gives me a lot more reasons to scrap lol). I'm working my way through years of photos, I have a huge amount and they're all just very disorganized to be honest. I think I need to do some deep organizing of my photos folder period. But I'd also like to have some organization to the photos I've already scrapped at least once, and the ones I still have to do. The logical thing to do would be to create a "Scrapped" and "To Be Scrapped" folder and make copies of the photos in the appropriate folders (I have a 1TB hard drive so space is not really an issue). But I just want to know if anyone here has found a better system that works for them, because talking about it "out loud" it seems like a project that I'll need to sit down and commit a week or several days to.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:20 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I’m in the middle of sorting and backing up all my photos as well as scanning my old negatives so I’m interested in other opinions too. I am trying to reduce the number of duplicate photos on my computer and hard drive so I think I might just use tags (on my Mac they are coloured dots) to indicate the ones I want to scrap. Once they are done I can remove the dot. I do this with new kits and it works for me.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:06 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I use Google Photos and 'favourite' the photos with a star that I want to scrap with. That way they are viewable in a separate folder and when I de-star (?) them, they remain in their regular folder. I can also filter searches for photo by colour(s) and/or objects. It works really well for me!

Creative for Grace Lee & Scrapping with Liz
Guesting for LJS Designs in Nov-Dec 2020
Old 05-06-2020, 09:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've always kept each month's photos in a separate folder. For years I scrapped all over the place sometimes re-scrapping photos. A few years ago, I went through all my photos month my month and made a list of photos/events/moments that I wanted to scrap in a notebook. I then looked at all my layouts and made a check next to things in my notebook that were already scrapped.

I like being able to flip through the notebook and find things I'm in the mood to scrap or photos that will fit a kit I want to use. I also love not having to scrap chronologically.

Good luck with whatever organizing you chose to do, and enjoy the process!
Old 05-06-2020, 09:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use Acdsee to tag everything. I tag by the Year>Month>Event., it will change your life! LOL! I seriously couldn't scrap without Acdsee.

Here are some more detailed instructions on how I do it.

Here is a blog post a did a few years back that explains my process, with screenshots.
https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/i...be-sunday-712/

**Edited, I just made a quick youtube video with the way I organize my photos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQHMeQEWbSc

Last edited by nesser1981; 05-07-2020 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do folders for everything. In my PHOTOS folder -> year -> month-> scrapped
Old 05-06-2020, 09:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

In my main Pictures folder I organize photos by year and within that by month. I often make scrapbook pages differently than that, so I have a To Scrap folder. I don't put photos there and then move them over once they're done--they're all duplicates of the photos in my Pictures folder, and I delete them once they're scrapped. This also allows me to use the same photos in multiple projects. For example, I might be planning to scrap a vacation photobook from a trip but also want a few photos from the trip to be in my yearly album. Much easier to do if I'm using duplicates. With my system I can also store similar photos from multiple years together if that's how I plan to scrap them.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am very much a chronological scrapper for the most part - so I just work my way through the month/year folder I'm doing.
However - I do keep the pictures organized year - month; if I want to pull photos to scrap on the go I will make duplicates on a thumb drive. Sometimes I'm ambitious and tag them in Lightroom if I know I want to scrap them. This works for me since I go in chronological order (if I'm working on a special project it's easy to find based on year/month when needed - or I'll duplicate in a new folder and delete that after words)
Old 05-07-2020, 01:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

All of my photos are organized by month and year. I back up all of my photos to Google Photos so I can tag people & search by location, date, and/or theme (which doesn't always work but works well enough).

I have a To Be Scrapped folder system like Rachel does for photos and a To Be Used folder for new kits. I delete 80% or so of the kits in my stash after using them once but the ones I do keep are organized by the (real) name of the designer. All of the photos in To Be Scrapped are duplicates but the kits in To Be Used are not.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:59 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I organised my photos by months and years too and I don't have a 'queuing system' for photos to scrap. When I am ready to scrap, I usually look around for the right photo to use on my page
Old 05-07-2020, 05:54 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

After my comment this morning I have just had a disaster and my EHD seems to have died. I have spent two days transferring every photo into one place, sorting by date, removing duplicates and putting them into lightroom... two days of my life I will never get back! Thankfully I didn't delete anything so I can do it all again but what a waste! I'm so aware that EHDs can fail so I had a new one here ready to back it up when I was done... so sad

Old 05-07-2020, 06:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGeling View Post
After my comment this morning I have just had a disaster and my EHD seems to have died. I have spent two days transferring every photo into one place, sorting by date, removing duplicates and putting them into lightroom... two days of my life I will never get back! Thankfully I didn't delete anything so I can do it all again but what a waste! I'm so aware that EHDs can fail so I had a new one here ready to back it up when I was done... so sad
Sorry, Kim. That stinks. At least you didn't lose anything. That's why I'm lovin' the cloud. Hopefully, Microsoft won't fail on me.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use Adobe Lightroom. I just have a category I use for "scrapped".

Old 05-07-2020, 09:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm just not that organized to keep track of all the photos I have already scrapped! LOL! Since I am on 2 creative teams, there have been many times that I have scrapped the same photos because they fit a certain kit the best. I do try to remember to 'pin' all my LOs so I can quickly look to see if I have scrapped a certain photo. ANd honestly, with new kits coming out all the time, I may have scrapped some photos and then a kit I like better comes out and I scrap them again! I know, that was probably not really any help!
Old 05-07-2020, 09:41 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
I've always kept each month's photos in a separate folder. For years I scrapped all over the place sometimes re-scrapping photos. A few years ago, I went through all my photos month my month and made a list of photos/events/moments that I wanted to scrap in a notebook. I then looked at all my layouts and made a check next to things in my notebook that were already scrapped.
This is pretty much exactly what I do, too. I always start my weeks with my project life pages, then place any other pages from that week "behind" them in my photo book. I plan my pages by the week, so I can always tell where I need to add pages or scrap photos. I also re-scrap photos if a better kit comes along or I want to focus on another aspect, i.e., the emotions behind the event rather than the facts, etc.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:26 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

As for my scrapped photos, since I tag them, and don't move them from folder to folder, they all stay in the same place. So Year-Month-Date is how I keep them.

Once I complete a page, I have the same system.
Scrapbook Folder - Year and Month page is dated/named by event
Then I print when I get a certain time period completed.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:36 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Boy Vanessa, (nesser1981) I love your ACDsee system and I wish we lived close so that you could walk me through setting this up. I watched your videos and I love your systems but I have so many questions.

I guess to start - when you do the tags are you actually moving items from your "storage location"? How do you get into ACDsee?
Old 05-07-2020, 01:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjrneace View Post
Boy Vanessa, (nesser1981) I love your ACDsee system and I wish we lived close so that you could walk me through setting this up. I watched your videos and I love your systems but I have so many questions.

I guess to start - when you do the tags are you actually moving items from your "storage location"? How do you get into ACDsee?
Ask away! When you tag, it does not move the files from your storage location.

For example, I have one big folder for photos, 2019, then each month, and then my photos are dated. I just create the "tag" I want in ACDsee. Once I click on the photo and drag it to the tag, the photo stays in it's original home. but I can still see it. I'll make another quick video to show you.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Ok Debbie, see if this helps explain it better for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5-hNlideRE
Old 05-07-2020, 05:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My problem is I can't figure out how to make the "catergories" for tagging. I tried to play some at my lunch break but going to play some more tonight.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Vanessa, I love your system and thanks for the tutorials. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the "preset" categories in ACDsee. I added a new tag but I wanted to remove all of the ones that ACDsee came with. I know a few other people that have it and use it more for showcasing what is in a kit but I love the "tag" way you use it so I really want to get this set up.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Vanessa, I love your system and thanks for the tutorials. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the "preset" categories in ACDsee. I added a new tag but I wanted to remove all of the ones that ACDsee came with. I know a few other people that have it and use it more for showcasing what is in a kit but I love the "tag" way you use it so I really want to get this set up.
You just need to right click on the old tags and select delete or edit.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

when I take photos off our phones/cameras, they go into their own folders based on date and subject (Dec 2019 Christmas, TN Trip Feb 2020 etc). Some folders (like trips) have additional folders inside the main one. Whenever I get a subject/group of photos scrapped, I edit the title and write "DONE" after the subject and date. That way, when I am searching through the photos, I can see which ones haven't been scrapped yet. It also helps when I have to search photos for like "zoo". it will bring up those folders and helps me see what needs to be scrapped! If it is a larger folder, and I only scrap a section of the photos in it, I have a couple options. Sometimes I make lists writing down what photos still need to be scrapped with the date. Other times, I will open the photos that still need to be scrapped, throw them all into a new document and date and subject it. That ones goes into my layouts folder as a working document that I can come back to later. that way the photos I need to scrap are right there all together.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:01 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much guys! I'll look into all these, especially the ACDSee and the video tutorials on that. I haven't decided what system I'm going to go with yet, but obviously I need a system. I appreciate all the suggestions!
Old 05-08-2020, 01:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've just made folders with the date in a folder named "to be scrapped" and whenever I feel like scrapping something old I look through those folders. I also do PL so I go through those albums to see if there are any events to make a seperate scrapping folder for.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:27 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't really organize photos to scrap. I look through my monthly photos (each month I empty my phone for the previous month) and see what fits the kit or theme of the challenge. Sometimes I go back years... not very efficient at keeping track.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BluEyedBabi View Post
I'm just not that organized to keep track of all the photos I have already scrapped! LOL! Since I am on 2 creative teams, there have been many times that I have scrapped the same photos because they fit a certain kit the best. I do try to remember to 'pin' all my LOs so I can quickly look to see if I have scrapped a certain photo. ANd honestly, with new kits coming out all the time, I may have scrapped some photos and then a kit I like better comes out and I scrap them again! I know, that was probably not really any help!

THIS is me! I have some pics that have been scrapped 3 times cause I find a new better kit. And they are all printed and in the albums. I'm only on one CT but sometimes a previously scrapped pic goes perfect with a new kit. I do sometimes wish I was organized enough to get photos that have never been scrapped done too.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 05-08-2020, 03:12 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurian View Post
I use Google Photos and 'favourite' the photos with a star that I want to scrap with. That way they are viewable in a separate folder and when I de-star (?) them, they remain in their regular folder.
I did not know this!!!!!!!! this is awesome!!!!!!

added: I don't have "to scrap" and "done" photos LOL! I like to actually scrap the day to day (I have all of my photos by year and within the year folder are months ) and I like to work on projects such as a beach vacation or Christmas or a project for a particular kid (I have 4 so always something to scrap LOL)....I also use google photos and I make seperate albums in there as well like "vacation 2019" "Christmas 2019" "Peyton's birthday 2019" etc...plus I Have it set up so that it recognizes certain people and they have their own folder as well )like each of the kids I have set up to recognize their face when pics upload and so there are folders named Sam, Ben, Abby & Peyton..... not sure if this really helps but I feel your pain as I am coming back from a 5 year hiatus (no computer and just got a new laptop) so I am CERTAIN I will be rescrapping lots of photos LOL!

Last edited by nun69; 05-08-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:36 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I got turned on to using a spreadsheet to track what I have already scrapped by a designer several years ago. She was kind enough to share her spreadsheet and I modified it for my use. I have a column that is for the date, the next column for the description of event (or whatever) then columns following those that I can put a small copy of the layout in. I also have multiple tabs such as digital photos, scanned photos and specific albums (my puppy).

I automatically make a small copy of each final layout (old habit from when I posted a lot of challenge layouts at another long gone store). So I now use those for my spreadsheet.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a folder system for the to be scrapped... Keyword_date_title of photos_#of photos. Then when I have I have a kit that falls into the Keyword topic... I can pull those photos to scrap... or if I have a template with # of photos I look for folders that have those # of photos.