Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-08-2021, 07:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I save my TIFF, jpg and the 700x700 or 600x600 in forever. Even if I have already printed them, I still save them, maybe I will delete the smaller file someday.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

As soon as I print, I ditch them. Scrapping & Printing since 2006 never had any issues to go back once they were printed. I know I have spelling mistake & grammar errors, but if I were writing it all by hand I would probably have more. LOL!

Last edited by nesser1981; 03-08-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetChar View Post
Sooo...how long do you save the layered files for your layouts? Forever? Ditch them after a while?

I've always saved mine and still do. But, I have never gone back and opened up an old layout for anything. Except for something that may have been recently made and I saw a mistake or something I wanted to change before posting it. But, a year ago? 10 years ago? Nope!

I am currently, newly backing up to Backblaze my computer and EHD files. I'm down to something like 1,033 files to go and it seems to be all big files. Including psd files. And those take a lot longer to back up than smaller files. Which is fine. But it got me to thinking...

Here's my story:
My previous EHD is away in Ohio right now with a company (hopefully) pulling all of my files off of it. About 4 years worth of pictures that, unfortunately, were no longer being backed up by Carbonite. Reason being...we moved a couple of years ago. When getting the house ready and presentable to sell, I tucked my EHD away and it wasn't plugged into the laptop. Then we moved and it stayed tucked away for about a year. I wasn't scrapping during this time so I didn't think about it. Then, last February, I plugged it in and it was fine for a bit until it dropped. Then the computer wouldn't recognize it. I contacted Carbonite and turns out they didn't have the files because the EHD had been unplugged for soooo long that they didn't keep the files. Then, when I plugged it back in, they started to grab all those files again but only had some before it dropped.

Several online data recovery companies couldn't get to the files and a local computer repair shop couldn't get them. So, I've "ignored" the situation for a long time. When Lea posted about her EHD, I decided to do something about it. Even though I have Carbonite service, I signed up with Backblaze and plan to end service with Carbonite when Backblaze is finished grabbing my files. I'm not blaming Carbonite, just saw a lot of recommendations for Backblaze. And, I contacted a company that was recommended on Lea's thread and they seemed hopeful. Sent them the EHD and, after looking at it, they seemed confident that they could get my files. At least I won't have to pay (my arm & leg, and my husband's, too!) until they do retrieve them.

If I didn't have on that EHD all of my old layered layout files, I think the total space would have been significantly lower and not have bumped me into the next, higher payment level. And, maybe more importantly, I'd have more room on whatever computer or EHD I'm using without keeping all of them.

I'm talking myself into ditching old psd files. Of my layouts, not of templates or such. Maybe anything older than a year? And filter them out periodically?

Thoughts?
I really hope they're able to retrieve your data. I'm SO paranoid about losing files. I have several backups, including Backblaze.

I never keep psd files. I only use tiff because of the size difference. Also, for template files, tiff shows the template, psd doesn't.

I keep all of my completed layout tiff files (again...paranoid. LOL!).
Old 03-09-2021, 07:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wouldn't you know it, I just went on my flash drive with the psd files to go back and correct a wrong date on a layout. I'm glad that I saved the layered files.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
Wouldn't you know it, I just went on my flash drive with the psd files to go back and correct a wrong date on a layout. I'm glad that I saved the layered files.
Wow! I'm glad you saved your layered file so it was an easy fix!!
Old 03-10-2021, 03:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I don't save them at all.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:51 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I read every post the other day, and my head was spinning! I save everything, and I kept changing my mind on whether to save everything or ditch a bunch. LOL Last summer I started deleting all those freebies that I got when I first started digi scrapping in 2006. That was easy to do. I've even started pitching kits that I bought years ago. I just can't bring myself to delete the PSDs. I honestly should think like a paper scrapper (which I was for about 8 years). If there's a mistake, "oh, well," and move on. My husband didn't like when I paper scrapped because I would buy and not use. He said he really didn't care how much I spent as long as I bought with layouts in mind. I'm a worse hoarder with digi! LOL
Old 03-13-2021, 06:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've really enjoyed reading all of the responses. So interesting to hear the different perspectives.

For now, I'm keeping all versions of more recent layouts. Maybe several months back? Beyond that, I deleted the layout PSD file and the web version. Kept the original 12x12 size jpegs and the size I print at...8x8 jpegs. (I print at home and do it mostly right after I make the layout unless I run out of paper. Drats! lol That happened a few weeks ago and I wound up having to print about 20 at one time after I got the paper.)

Except for any layouts that I did something a little more "special" on. Like made myself a template for a shape or some layers or something. So, there's a handful of layout PSDs that I did keep.

And I DID switch to TIFF files for the layered files. If I open a PSD template, I save it right away as a TIFF and get rid of the PSD version. I'm saving my layered layouts, now, as TIFF. What a space saver! And I LOVE the previews!

Oh, and they supposedly were able to retrieve 186,670 files off of my busted EHD. I'm guessing more than half of that I don't really care about.

Thanks for all of the help, suggestions, knowledge shared and opinions.

Last edited by SweetChar; 03-13-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyBurtt View Post
I'm confused... I've always scrapped with PSDs, and I've always been able to see previews... it sounds like some people can't see previews with PSD? I am on a Mac if that makes any difference. I must admit, I know nothing about TIFF, sounds like it is a file format I can use in Photoshop CC instead of PSD? Is it significantly smaller?

***Just finished a layout and did a test...
Layered File size:
PSD 185.2 MB
TIFF 101.5 MB

Flat File size:
JPG 11.3 MB
TIFF 24.3

I am kind of amazed... the TIFF is significantly smaller as a layered file. Does it operate exactly the same?

Also, the flat file, why is the TIFF so much bigger? Is it better?

Thanks for the info ladies!
There is really no difference between TIFF and PSD, I've been using TIFFs for years. For flat files, there is no reason to save as a TIFF since the only benefit of a TIFF is that it preserves the layers. Even if there is only 1 layer, it's going to take up more space, so I always save flattered files as a JPG or PNG, depending on what it's being used for. JPGs are typically smaller than PNGs, so I only use PNG if I need it to be on a transparent background. HTH!
Old 03-14-2021, 05:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Um, I delete them all every few months
I haven't scrapped properly for a while but when I do I keep them for around 6 months then they're gone, I'm not even sure why I don't keep them, I have enough HD space.