Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-02-2019, 11:09 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default How do you put elements on your pages?

Just curious what methods everyone uses to place elements on their pages. I actually don't think I've ever seen a thread on this.

I don't think I have the most efficient method, so I'm interested in what works for others and why they like their method.

You all will probably think my method is ridiculous, lol

For reference, I use PS CC on Mac. Here is my method:
  • Open the background paper from the finder
  • Rename it to my page name (yeardate_kitname.tiff)
  • Go back to the finder, highlight all of the elements I think I will want to use and open them (they open to separate tabs in PS)
  • Use hot keys to move each element from it's own tab onto my canvas by holding down the command key and hitting a, c, w, v
  • Before I paste, I make sure I'm in the right place on the layers palette and then I shadow the element and repeat with the rest of the elements

I know a lot of people "drag" elements onto their canvas. When I do that they come in as embedded smart objects an I have to hit the check mark. I've also tried loading from stack, but I don't like bringing all of the elements onto my canvas at once because it requires moving the layer order after placement and I find it too distracting to have items I haven't dealt with that "block my view. Turning the layer visibility off seems like a chore when you're working with loads of elements. Boy I sound like a complainer! lol
Old 03-02-2019, 11:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've never used your method but I know lots of people do. I keep saying I will try it.

I drag and drop from the file folder.
I think you can turn off "place as smart object" in the preferences but I haven't taken the time to do it

Old 03-02-2019, 11:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I drag mine onto my canvas one at a time and start working from there. I only get that smart object issue if I drag from the photo bin. If I drag from my kit folder I don't have that issue. My way sounds more time consuming then your way. LOL!

Old 03-02-2019, 11:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kiana*~ View Post
I've never used your method but I know lots of people do. I keep saying I will try it.

I drag and drop from the file folder.
I think you can turn off "place as smart object" in the preferences but I haven't taken the time to do it
Do you open them all at once or place them as you go? I'm going to see if I can turn off the embedded smart object. I do use smart objects, but I don't want them for every layer!
Old 03-02-2019, 11:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
I drag mine onto my canvas one at a time and start working from there. I only get that smart object issue if I drag from the photo bin. If I drag from my kit folder I don't have that issue. My way sounds more time consuming then your way. LOL!
Mine does it when I drag it from the file folder! What's the photo bin?
Old 03-02-2019, 11:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I drag from photo bin one at a time. Checking the box is annoying. I’ve seen people add a bunch of elements at one time and then resize but like you I prefer to handle one st a time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2019, 11:35 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Your method seems daunting. There has to be an option to drop elements onto your background without them turning to smart object?

This is how I do it. I work with templates but it doesn't matter in that case.
I choose elements one at a time and place them directly onto my template. They do turn to smart object but it doesn't prevent me from using them. In the case that I need to delete some parts of it, then I rasterize it.
If I drag several at a time it still lets me resize them and place them before I accept its new settings then it goes to the next elements to resize etc...
Old 03-02-2019, 12:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
Mine does it when I drag it from the file folder! What's the photo bin?
Maybe it's just a PSE thing?

Old 03-02-2019, 12:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
Maybe it's just a PSE thing?
Yeah, I think it's a PSE thing. I did a quick search and it seems in PS, it's replaced by the bridge. I would be nice to have a palette embedded in PS to view the elements without having to configure the program windows so they are visible at the same time.

I've been searching, but still haven't found a way to disable the embedded smart object feature.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:47 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I either start with a new 12x12 document, or a template.

I almost always start with my photos, weeding out the ones I want before hand and then opening each of them in PS (right click, open in PS). I drag each one on to the new document or template, place them how I want.

Next, I usually work on my papers. I open a few papers that I think I would like in PS (right click, open in PS) and then drag them from tabs onto my document (shift+drag) and clip as needed. This process can take a while as I fidget with the papers to get them just right.

Generally I work on foliage next followed by flowers and other elements. I have it set up so that .pngs open directly into PS, so I just go into the folder and double click all the elements I think I might want to use. They open in tabs in PS and then I drag them onto my canvas where I want them to go. I shadow as I go with premade shadows and adjust later as needed.

Lastly is string and ribbons and buttons and extras. When I do word art and titles depends on the page.

Does any of this make sense?!

I've been working on making process videos because I find it so fascinating that each of our processes is as unique as our scrap style.

I'd loooooooove to see you work Sheri.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My method is very similar to yours, I use PSP x9 - I open all the elements I want to use (which open in a seperate tab), then I open the paper(s) I want to use (I do papers last because the program automatically goes to the last item in the list after I close a tab that I no longer need). The only thing I do differently, is that I wait until the very end to do my shadows, I find if I move and resize things after a shadow the image distorts, so I just wait until the end.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlimarie View Post
I either start with a new 12x12 document, or a template.

I almost always start with my photos, weeding out the ones I want before hand and then opening each of them in PS (right click, open in PS). I drag each one on to the new document or template, place them how I want.

Next, I usually work on my papers. I open a few papers that I think I would like in PS (right click, open in PS) and then drag them from tabs onto my document (shift+drag) and clip as needed. This process can take a while as I fidget with the papers to get them just right.

Generally I work on foliage next followed by flowers and other elements. I have it set up so that .pngs open directly into PS, so I just go into the folder and double click all the elements I think I might want to use. They open in tabs in PS and then I drag them onto my canvas where I want them to go. I shadow as I go with premade shadows and adjust later as needed.

Lastly is string and ribbons and buttons and extras. When I do word art and titles depends on the page.

Does any of this make sense?!

I've been working on making process videos because I find it so fascinating that each of our processes is as unique as our scrap style.

I learned something new today! I didn't know you could drag from a tab onto another tab (I knew you could it if they were stacked or titled, but not tabbed). I just did it without holding the shift and just dragging it onto the tab and waiting a second for PS to recognize I'm hovering on a new tab. Thanks for the tip!

I agree, it's super interesting to see how everyone does things! ... and thank you for the sweet compliment!
Old 03-02-2019, 01:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
My method is very similar to yours, I use PSP x9 - I open all the elements I want to use (which open in a seperate tab), then I open the paper(s) I want to use (I do papers last because the program automatically goes to the last item in the list after I close a tab that I no longer need). The only thing I do differently, is that I wait until the very end to do my shadows, I find if I move and resize things after a shadow the image distorts, so I just wait until the end.
I started with PSP years ago, so maybe that's why this process feel so comfortable to me!
Old 03-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure what smart objects are as I've only seen it opening someone else's psd.tiff file. Never on mine.

First, I place all of my papers on my 12x12 layout. Once I know what the layout will "look like", I'll work on my elements.

I open the elements folder and open up everything that I want to work with (ribbons, frames, flowers, paint, confetti, etc).

Once everything is opened, I open up a blank canvas and start dragging things over to cluster. I look back to the paper filled layout to see which directions elements (mostly greenery) need to flow) and I cluster on the blank canvas.

When I like the clusters that I've created, I drag them over to the paper filled layout, filling up the layout. After all of the clusters are in place, I go through my elements again, opening up anything else that I want to use or fill my layout. I place them throughout the clusters.

After papers and clusters are done, I look for my photos to finish the layout. Journaling is last and sometimes a titlework, but titleworks often are created when I'm doing my clusters.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

yes! I'd love to see Sheri scrap!!
Old 03-02-2019, 02:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use PSE, so I pull everything That I may want to use into the "Photo Bin" at the bottom.
One of the reasons I haven't switched to CC is that I'd be lost without the photo bin!
Old 03-02-2019, 02:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Oh, yes!!! Another vote for watching Sheri scrap!!
Old 03-02-2019, 03:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I'm not sure what smart objects are as I've only seen it opening someone else's psd.tiff file. Never on mine.

First, I place all of my papers on my 12x12 layout. Once I know what the layout will "look like", I'll work on my elements.

I open the elements folder and open up everything that I want to work with (ribbons, frames, flowers, paint, confetti, etc).

Once everything is opened, I open up a blank canvas and start dragging things over to cluster. I look back to the paper filled layout to see which directions elements (mostly greenery) need to flow) and I cluster on the blank canvas.

When I like the clusters that I've created, I drag them over to the paper filled layout, filling up the layout. After all of the clusters are in place, I go through my elements again, opening up anything else that I want to use or fill my layout. I place them throughout the clusters.

After papers and clusters are done, I look for my photos to finish the layout. Journaling is last and sometimes a titlework, but titleworks often are created when I'm doing my clusters.
Smart objects preserve the attributes of the layer so resizing, etc doesn't degrade it and you can continue to modify any adjustments, but you can't use tools like dodge/burn on smart object, so the layer has to be converted to a raster layer first. I use them on my titles so that styling is more uniform and I can easily resize all of the letters. You can also consolidate multiple objects/layers to one layer.

What method do you use to drag your elements over where you aren't dealing with a smart object?
Old 03-02-2019, 03:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
Smart objects preserve the attributes of the layer so resizing, etc doesn't degrade it and you can continue to modify any adjustments, but you can't use tools like dodge/burn on smart object, so the layer has to be converted to a raster layer first. I use them on my titles so that styling is more uniform and I can easily resize all of the letters. You can also consolidate multiple objects/layers to one layer.

What method do you use to drag your elements over where you aren't dealing with a smart object?
I just open my elements. The files all pile on top of one another and then I use my move tool, dragging them on to a blank canvas.

method--taught my own self and am probably doing it backwards or the hard way!
Old 03-02-2019, 03:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I drag my elements straight from the kit folder onto my canvas. I turned off the smart object option.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I drag my elements straight from the kit folder onto my canvas. I turned off the smart object option.
Do you remember how you turned that off? I can't find anything in the preferences. Are you using PSE or PS CC?

ETA: I figured it out. Preferences -> General -> uncheck "always create smart object when placing" - it still makes you accept the changes, but it's just a regular layer.

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 03-02-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
Yup same here, except I leave them smart objects. I just do them one at a time as I'm working

Old 03-02-2019, 03:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sheri under Preferences the General tab there is a tick option to always place as smart objects, I think you just untick that.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Interesting!! I don't use tabs and I must have done what kiana mentioned because mind don't go over into smart objects either. I just open up what I think i'll use place it all on there and move it around randomly. hahaha.

Don't ask about designing because I'm so not answering that one or admitting to how often i just move my preview around and around on my screen lol..
Old 03-02-2019, 04:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I open my elements in separate files then I drag across. It took me forever to learn how to stop them opening as tabs because that annoyed me and made my process longer.

I use CC and have NO idea what smart object is lol.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
Don't ask about designing because I'm so not answering that one or admitting to how often i just move my preview around and around on my screen lol..
I'll admit to it, because I design on my preview, I am always moving everything around with each new element I create. It is crazy!
Old 03-02-2019, 05:53 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
I open my elements in separate files then I drag across. It took me forever to learn how to stop them opening as tabs because that annoyed me and made my process longer.

I use CC and have NO idea what smart object is lol.
If I have a lot of elements to open at a time, I pull one tab out into a floating window and then when I open the rest of the elements they tab in the floating window. It cuts down on time.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I open everything I think I want to use in cc, then create a new blank 12x12 document and run a script that loads everything into my blank document. Then I just turn off the visibility on the layers until I'm ready to use them.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I use PSE, so I pull everything That I may want to use into the "Photo Bin" at the bottom.
One of the reasons I haven't switched to CC is that I'd be lost without the photo bin!

This, so much this, it's so easy!

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 03-02-2019, 08:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitysuet View Post
This, so much this, it's so easy!
Exactly!! It always messes me up when I try to use PS!!
Old 03-02-2019, 08:42 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

i use the "place" function in PSE probably the slow way but it's what i'm used to.

I did the 7day free trial of CC but couldn't handle that there was no photo bin for swapping between projects lol
Old 03-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I add photos to my 12x12 canvas, then add 1 or 2 papers (if I use any masks I usually drag them onto the canvas now and clip my photos to the masks) and then start looking for elements in ACDSEE and drag them onto the canvas. I'll then move and resize as needed using shortcut key V for move and Ctrl T (transform) to resize. I'll start to move them around in the layers and then start adding more in as needed. I might then add in some more papers. I usually finish up with any little bits like sequins, buttons, etc. Brushwork/paint/overlays I add whenever, sometimes at the beginning and sometimes at the end.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You're method is totally foreign to me!!

My method: (on PC)
1. Open background paper. (I love your idea of renaming the bkgd layer right away!)
2. I use the shortcut ctrl+shift+P to place embedded for each element. I do it 1 ellie at a time. So I ctrl+shift+P, grab a flower, hit enter, and then drag it where I want it. The first ellie I shadow, then I copy layer style using ctrl+shift+c.
3. I continue to place ellies the same way, but for every additional ellie aside from paints, I ctrl+shift+V to copy layer style so they all get a basic shadow.
4. After I get everything placed, I go in and select specific ellies and adjust shadows to create more depth.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So funny how differently we all do it! I've also turned off smart layers and the tabs--I want everything free-floating. Here's what I do.

1. Open a template or blank document and rename it for my layout.
2. Open photos, edit, then drag them in and place them.
3. Open papers in PS, drag them in and place them.
4. Open the elements I most want to use. (For this I always do File/open since there are so many to open. When I'm working with photos and papers I sometimes do File/open and sometimes just double click from the Windows folder.)
5. Drag in elements one at a time and place them.
6. If needed, make a second pass through the element folder. Often I'm adding additional flowers or filler elements or possibly balancing things out by bringing in more of a certain color.
7. Add journaling. (If it's a journaling heavy layout I do this right after the photos so I can make sure I have enough space.)
8. Shadow.

Last edited by rach3975; 03-03-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Very first, I open my photos to figure out what ones to use. Next, it's template and papers.

For elements:
If the page/template needs flat ribbons, I open those first. Otherwise I open all the flowers first and narrow it down, placing them on my layout. Then I open greenery and narrow that down, but don't put them on yet.
I'll open themed elements next, narrowing them down and placing them on my layout. If I want a button, it goes on now.
Then I add my greenery.
Next are string, stitching, paint, scatters (basically in that order).
then it's usually word art or a title/alpha and journaling last.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love reading how everyone scraps. It's so interesting!

I am a "drag all the things" into my canvas & work from there. Typically, I do my photos, then my papers & then a few elements. Then I add a few more elements. It just kind of depends on the template or look I'm going for. I like to add all the flowers at once & shadow then I can quickly pick & chose based on size/color. It does get a bit distracting if there are TONS. I also turned off the smart object. If I mess up the sizing, I can alway add one back in. I do usually bring in alphas as smart objects tho for that reason. I also read somewhere that using all smart objects increases the file size & with how many layers I always have, the smaller the size the better!
Old 03-04-2019, 04:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post

I had never thought about building a cluster on a blank canvas and then moving it to my layout - I'm going to have to try that!
Old 03-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I open them one at a time, haha. I tend to need to fill in as I go and shadow etc. But i always do papers and photos first and then fill in with the "stuff" like that
Old 03-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I drag elements in as I go... keeping them as a smart object as I resize things often. If I need to do something to it, I rasterize it. I also merge papers down to the shapes I'm clipping them to as I go. When I'm sure that I'm done, I go to the layers panel and filter only for smart objects. Then I select all the smart object layers and rasterize them all at once (I have the rasterize function on a short-cut) to save space!

Old 03-06-2019, 02:49 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

This is a very interesting topic. I would love to watch youtube video on how do a layout with one of the suggestions
Old 03-06-2019, 05:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I drag and drop.

If you drag and drop onto the toolbar at the top (vs. dragging onto the canvas directly), it won't show up as a smart object.

I do them one at a time and then shadow after all of the elements are in place.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:02 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

If I use template, I'd copy all the layers from the template into a new blank canvas. Otherwise, I'd start with my background paper.

Then, I'll open up the photo(s) I am going to scrap with.
I usually open/drag elements one by one from the folder (finder in Mac) as I scrap. I go bottom up, so most of the time I start with the paints/scribbles/splatters that I want to put on my page first, then I'll keep building up layers that way.
Title is the second last, journaling & date are the last one on.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:25 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I put everything that I think I want to use, into a new subfolder called "to use" and then use the Script>load files into stack option to load it all. Then I move things around hide layers, reorder layers etc - I add shadows during this process as it makes some of the elements easier to see.

Last edited by CarolynK; 03-09-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I open the entire kit into a canvas and then do a quick sort of the layers into groups. All my PP in one ( at the very bottom), mixed media( right above my papers), cards, wordy things, flowers(at the very top). I delete anything I know I won't use. I hide all the layers and get to scrapping, showing the layers as I use them. It sounds time consuming when I write it out but I find it much easier and quicker than going back and forth. This way I can easily see everything and if I change my mind ( which happens a lot ) it's all just there. I just delete all my unused bits towards/at the end.