Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Help with my 2 year old

We have suddenly hit a road block with daughter and I am asking you ladies for some of your wise advice. My daughter is two and shares a room with her 7 month old sister. Up until 2 nights ago, they were doing fine in there. My DH and I realized that the kids needed more sleep so were are trying to get them to bed earlier. My little one goes to bed at 7:30 or earlier with little problems. But my older daughter is giving us fits.

We are trying to get her into bed by 8:30 since we have to wake her up at 7-7:30 in the morning to go to daycare. She screams bloody murder when we put her to bed. We make sure she has a drink available, a dry nighttime diaper, her blanket and othe lovies and she still freaks. We tried putting her in the other room, she freaked. I leave the door opened and she either comes out to us crying or cries in her bed. She used to have night terrors but those basically stopped when we figured out her food allergies and this is not the same. She has never behaved like this before. She is starting to disturb my baby who is now waking up at 3 in the morning which before she never did.

help! Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

What time did she used to go to bed? If it was much later I would suggest putting her to bed earlier by increments of 15 minutes (like if she went to bed at 10pm, then start putting her down at 9:45 for a couple of nights and then 9:30...). I would also establish a set routine (like read 2 books then brush teeth then bed.) My girls go to bed better when they have not been watching TV for at least two hours before bed time too. I hope it gets better soon, it sounds like she is just protesting the earlier bedtime so just stay firm and calm with her and she will realize bedtime is non-negotiable.

Kristy
Old 09-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Couldn't have said it better than Kristy - great advice!

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 09-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Bedtime was really inconsistent (partly my fault, partly DH), it would be anywhere from 9:00 (usually it was this) to 11 (DH had a big part in this problem). I've tried to tune out TV. I think, me and DH are going to need to sit down and make up some bedtime rules. We stand firm when we put her to bed and she eventually falls asleep. I think I might institute bedtime reading and put the baby in the pack and play in the other room until we get this sorted out.