Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default Homeschool Convention Advice

I know there are a few other homeschoolers here. I am going to my first homeschool convention this weekend and it's a big one. I'm a little nervous about being completely overwhelmed by all of it. I've looked at the schedule and marked off the workshops that I really want to attend. I'm not planning on buying curriculum there, but I know it will be tempting and possibly hard to resist.

Have any of you been to a convention?

Do you have any tips/advice to share?

Thanks!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am going to my first convention in FL in May. I, like you, have no idea how to go about getting the most out of it. A friend of mine went last year and tells me to have a general idea of what curriculum I'm interested in before I get there otherwise I will be overwhelmed. Like, a list of specific books I want to look at more closely and a list of the types of books I will need. Then, she suggested I take pictures (with my cell phone) of the books I really liked after looking through them so I can review my notes the first night and go back to buy the ones I've decided on the next morning. As far as buying them there, I think it's cheaper than paying shipping... especially if you know you want the book. You might as well buy it there, right?

I haven't looked at the workshops yet, so I don't have a plan of action for that. I think it will be hard to narrow down which ones I should go to.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I go every year. Wear comfie shoes. Don't rush, and just enjoy looking through everything. Keep a budget, but be flexible, and take some canvas bags. You might be given goodies, you might not, but better to have more ways to carry than not.

I also hit up the booths I need to see first before I go browsing through everyone else. That way, I get what I need without being too tempted by other things. Take advantage of convention deals, too, like free shipping, extra curriculum, etc. But if you have a tablet or smart phone, keep it handy to comparison shop if you can.

Enjoy yourself (and go without the kids if you can!)

I don't do many workshops anymore unless it's about a specific curriculum I'd love to try out (the year I went to the folks who made Uncle Josh's maps was awesome!), or if someone huge was there - like Susan Wise Bauer - who never comes to ours LOL
Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

This is great!!

I wasn't planning to buy because we're moving and I don't want to have to move more stuff. But the free shipping might be worth it.

I'll definitely take my phone for pictures and was also taking my minilaptop to take notes and I can use that for comparison shopping as well.

Susan Wise Bauer isn't going to be there and I'm a little disappointed about that...I would really love to hear her.

Our kids will be staying with their Grandma!! Which is why we're driving 7 hrs. to attend this conference. It was a great opportunity to visit my husband's parents and get so free babysitting while we're at the convention .
Old 03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

... see I don't even know what an appropriate budget is. I think that's the most daunting thing for me. I'm afraid I won't buy enough... or too much. Is there any way I could find out what a year's worth of books should cost me for Kindergarten??

Old 03-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Brook - there's no money amount it should be. And in K - you've got so many options of things to do without actually buying curriculum..this could be your cheap year We didn't buy a lot for K at all.

Have you researched, at all, the direction you're going? What curriculum plans you like already?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

last year we attended our first... but ours was pretty small - compared to what y'all are saying... haha... everything was in two building on our local University campus - and not a very big one at that!!

J is only 5 - so last year was just looking to see if Homeschooling was something we wanted to do and also what was all involved. I didn't feel too tempted to buy anything... just looked around to see what was available and pick up brochures so I could google them later.

We are going again this year - but struggling at what workshops to take - so much is geared to teens this year.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm going to mine... by myself this year!!! I've been the last two years... and honestly... I think the best advice I got was to not go into the vendor area LOL... I did go this year though but that was because I already knew what I wanted since I went the year before

For my first 2 years, these were the workshops that I found the most helpful...

ones that had to do with state laws and requirements

ones that had to do with Charlotte Mason style of teaching and the brains of a preschooler and kindergartner... I learned so much about how to figure out when a child is ready to learn how to read... and all about play, play, play and being outside and learning from being outside in nature... and reading TO your kiddos instead of trying so hard to get them to read by themselves before their brains are actually ready
Old 03-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh and this year they have a new workshop about ADHD and since I was recently diagnosed, I want to make sure I go to those workshops

and I found that I just can't go to them all... so the first thing I do is pre-order the CD of all the workshops LOLOL
Old 03-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Darcy, I need to do some serious researching... I've been stalling. LOL. I've heard good things about My Father's World, but I kind of want to mix and match the books I like. I've been doing a relaxed Pre-K curriculum for him this year: Explode the Code, Handwriting Without Tears, BOB books (reading) and random math worksheets that I make myself. I'm definitely a fan of continuing with Explode the Code and HWT for K, but a complete curriculum set might make me feel less worried that I'm covering everything he needs. LOL.

I guess I'd better sign up for the "chill out, he'll be fine" workshop.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
... see I don't even know what an appropriate budget is. I think that's the most daunting thing for me. I'm afraid I won't buy enough... or too much. Is there any way I could find out what a year's worth of books should cost me for Kindergarten??
I think for my daughter I bought her entire years material (minus the bible since that was an added cost) for less than 40 when I did K with her.

This year I spent almost 100 on both girls as I mixed-n-matched materials and bought other supplemental materials.

I've never been to a real homeschool convention. I've always gone to the hotel homeschool conventions, where it is just a room of materials and information.

Anyone have any suggestions on dvd/online programs for 6th grade and that is cheap/free? I was told about Connections, but I have been told it isn't free in D.C. even though we are legal residents of another state. I would have loved to Charter School, but again, it isn't accepted here in D.C. I just know I can't physically teach my soon to be 6th grader any more math--she's killing me!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We're doing My Father's World K this year and LOVE it!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We did Calvert.... I wasn't a fan, that set didn't work for us - kiddo was sooo bored. So we did a lot of those workbooks you can buy at Target... Next year I'm thinking more piece meal and not setting on just one package curriculum. I struggle - kiddo is reading at a 1st grade level... and knows how to add and the like... what to level to get? hahah
Old 03-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
We're doing My Father's World K this year and LOVE it!!!
Oh, that's good to know!!! It's on my list to look through it at the convention. But I'm curious, do you do anything additionally or do you exclusively use My Father's World?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just do My Father's World and then just play with my kiddos... I get more than just the recommended book and then we just read a bunch of books that week on the subject... I tend to lean towards unschooling when the kids are little so I love that it basically only takes 30 minutes with Moriah because she already knows it all and then we do the activity of the day and then we just play and try to go outside the rest of the day... it's really nice using this with two little ones, one that doesn't nap anymore and one that won't stick to a nap schedule LOL

plus, I technically don't have to teach until she's 7 and again... I lean towards not pushing my kiddos to do something they aren't ready for
Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

And for me, we didn't even use curriculum for K. We used Sonlight's reading list for read alouds, did HWT, SWB's First Language Lessons- super boring, but we did it at a much faster pace and that helped), and lots and lots of everday science with Magic School Bus, and Math U See. We'd do geography/social studies base don what we were reading. MUS was probably my biggest real expense that year.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I think my style of homeschooling is closest to the Charlotte Mason method. But my fellow homeschooling moms that I hang out with are definitely Classical style. I have a science co-op planned with them for this Fall, so we do some schooling jointly. I think since I am so different in teaching style I feel like I'm missing something. But I agree, PLAY in and of itself is so important. We underestimate how much our kids are learning when we let them just be a kid and use their imagination. And I'm like you with the reading. We check out at least 18 books from the library every week. LOL!

Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm keeping an eye on this thread- we have our first one coming up in April, and I'm excited and nervous for it!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 03-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
and I found that I just can't go to them all... so the first thing I do is pre-order the CD of all the workshops LOLOL
ooh...good idea! I need to check into that.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I think for my daughter I bought her entire years material (minus the bible since that was an added cost) for less than 40 when I did K with her.

This year I spent almost 100 on both girls as I mixed-n-matched materials and bought other supplemental materials.

I've never been to a real homeschool convention. I've always gone to the hotel homeschool conventions, where it is just a room of materials and information.

Anyone have any suggestions on dvd/online programs for 6th grade and that is cheap/free? I was told about Connections, but I have been told it isn't free in D.C. even though we are legal residents of another state. I would have loved to Charter School, but again, it isn't accepted here in D.C. I just know I can't physically teach my soon to be 6th grader any more math--she's killing me!
You're close enough to go to the HEAV (Home Educators Association of Virginia??) convention. I've heard that it is really incredible and people travel across the country to addend it. With that being said, we've been in VA for two years and haven't made it because of timing. But everyone does speak very highly of it and it's a pretty big one if you're interested.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
I am going to my first convention in FL in May. I, like you, have no idea how to go about getting the most out of it. A friend of mine went last year and tells me to have a general idea of what curriculum I'm interested in before I get there otherwise I will be overwhelmed. Like, a list of specific books I want to look at more closely and a list of the types of books I will need. Then, she suggested I take pictures (with my cell phone) of the books I really liked after looking through them so I can review my notes the first night and go back to buy the ones I've decided on the next morning. As far as buying them there, I think it's cheaper than paying shipping... especially if you know you want the book. You might as well buy it there, right?

I haven't looked at the workshops yet, so I don't have a plan of action for that. I think it will be hard to narrow down which ones I should go to.
Okay--do you know how HARD it was for me to bite my tongue and not post in this thread?! Now I can.

Are you going to the convention in Orlando (or is it Kissimmee)? Because I was thinking of going to that and if you are, I would love to meet you there! I've never been to one, but I would like to go, just to see different things in real life. I have next year planned already. LOL! But I'd still love to go and see if there are deals--or changes I want to make.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're going to one next month in KC. I've never been... this thread is super super helpful. Thanks!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 03-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Nicole, awesome! I would love to meet you there!!!! It's the FPEA Convention at the Gaylord Palms Resort in Kissimmee (I call it Orlando... but it's technically not). The convention is from Thurs-Sat. But we will be arriving Friday morning and staying Friday night. Saturday I plan to just browse the Exhibit Hall. So maybe Fri or Sat we can even grab lunch together? Let me know.