Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-21-2015, 07:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Google Photo

... Does anyone use this to store/organize your photos? Do you like it?

Hubby heard on podcasts how awesome it is and how it has really fantastic searching ability because Google can recognize certain things and people in the photo without you personally tagging... and you can do slideshows, etc... it sounds too good to be true! haha
Old 11-21-2015, 12:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It IS true. I've been using Google photos for 2 years now and I'm extremely happy with it.
I use Nexus phone (Google's phone) and it automatically stores all my photos in Google photos.
I can choose a date and see what photos I'd taken then.
I can type "dog" in the search box and it will show me all the photos with my dog.
I can type my name or my husband's and it will show me these.
I can type whatever I want and it really recognises it and gives me great results.
It automatically makes slideshows, videos and stories based on your photos.
It automatically enhances your shots and/or processes them in amazing ways (the option is called "Auto awesome).
Honestly, I haven't used the iCloud thing but Google photos (or Google Drive) is AMAZING!
You can, of course, use it without an Android phone -- you can use it on your computer in a web browser to upload photos and organize them in folders. Just give it try, you won't regret it
--
Mama to Albert
Old 11-21-2015, 01:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have never even considered it. I think I'll check it out though!
Old 11-21-2015, 05:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Anelia!! Based on your comments... I gave it a go!

I just loaded my Disney World photos into it... wow! That is flippin' cool! I searched fireworks and it brought up those photos... then I searched castle and those came up! There is an assistant option that built like gif animation by putting photos together of like when Jake met Mickey Mouse... so cool!!! Now I want to load all my photos into Google Photo!
Old 11-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm. Interesting. That would've been helpful when I needed to find photos of my MIL recently for her unexpected funeral.

My first thought was that it would be weird to let some company/website have access to all of my personal photos. I feel better about them being stored on my EHD. But then I got to thinking that it's probably not any different than Crashplan having access to my entire computer.

It kind of creeps me out though. How does it know your name goes with your face if you haven't tagged them?
Old 11-21-2015, 09:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
Hmmm. Interesting. That would've been helpful when I needed to find photos of my MIL recently for her unexpected funeral.

My first thought was that it would be weird to let some company/website have access to all of my personal photos. I feel better about them being stored on my EHD. But then I got to thinking that it's probably not any different than Crashplan having access to my entire computer.

It kind of creeps me out though. How does it know your name goes with your face if you haven't tagged them?
When I just uploaded mine, it showed frequent faces and I had to say who they were. Now that I've saved them, I can just search by name.

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 11-21-2015, 10:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post

That is what creeped me out at first too - that my photos would be "out there..." hubby said that the photos are safe. You do have to tell the name to the face and then based on algorithms, it matches photos to that face... I haven't done that yet. I'm still storing on my EHD... I don't have total faith that Google here today, gone tomorrow... haha!
Old 11-21-2015, 10:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Another user here. I pay for a little bit of additional storage and have photos in there going back to 2008. My phone auto backs up to it and I love it!

Old 11-21-2015, 10:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
That is what creeped me out at first too - that my photos would be "out there..." hubby said that the photos are safe. You do have to tell the name to the face and then based on algorithms, it matches photos to that face... I haven't done that yet. I'm still storing on my EHD... I don't have total faith that Google here today, gone tomorrow... haha!
Good to know that your hubby thinks it's safe.

It sounds a lot like iPhoto which I stopped using because it really seemed to slow down my computer. And I hated the organization system.