Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-22-2015, 09:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Thanksgiving Desserts...

What do you all serve?

My mom (the baker in the family) usually takes care of the desserts for our Thanksgiving family dinner - however, this year both her and my step dad are on a gluten/corn/dairy free diet... so the desserts are on me... outside of pumpkin pie... what else would go over? Family isn't big into cake or anything too fancy... We have 15 or so people...

Also some easy snacky ideas, too?... my family is full of grazers... so they will still be eating after they finish off dinner... and given that night is the big Packer/Bear football game - this means my family won't know when to leave...
Old 11-22-2015, 09:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

PIE! Seriously, we do several kinds of pie. Coconut cream, chocolate cream, pumpkin, pecan. We love pie.

As for snacky ideas, we do chips and dip, a relish tray (olives, pickles, etc.), veggies for dip, chex mix, crackers and cheese. I like to graze too!
Old 11-22-2015, 10:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

If I were hosting, I'd probably do a pumpkin, chocolate pecan, then something different. I've done peach cobbler a few times, or I do a cake, something different than pie.

I'm only making a chocolate pecan this year, since we go to my inlaws.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thankfully I don't have to host, but I've been told that this year's desserts are going to be apple pie, brownies, pumpkin mousse, a turkey-shaped ice cream cake, and possibly a chocolate pudding pie.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We do different kinds of pie and then my mom always makes this dessert/bar with graham cracker crust, cream cheese filling, & a raspberry jelly topping. I need to get the recipe from her because she swears it's super easy to make.

For grazers, relish trays, fruit trays, chips & dips, crackers & cheese balls are what i'd do.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Rachel is asking to make a pumpkin pie all on her own this year, and I'm making a rustic apple tart.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:38 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

I am making Sweet Potatoe pies that I learned to make from my mom.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:19 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We usually do an apple pie and pumpkin pie for dessert. We aren't huge dessert people. I don't love it, but every few years we have a blueberry pie because it's my dad's favorite. This year I will do apple, pumpkin and a pecan pie.

For grazing I do spinach dip in a bread bowl, sliced apples with caramel dip, a spread of cheese and crackers and some raw veggies.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband is the pie man in our family, so he'll be making those. I'm gonna do some kind of bars I think...Nanaimo bars are one of our faves, so maybe that
Old 11-23-2015, 07:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had our Thanksgiving yesterday and there was pumpkin pie, apple pie, and plain cheesecake (the only thing my niece and nephew would eat since they dislike all pies).
Old 11-23-2015, 08:10 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I would love to experience all these holidays sometime. I only know Thanksgiving dinner from Friends (the series)

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9070 met Tapatalk

Old 11-23-2015, 10:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I believe that we're having pumpkin pie, apple pie, an assortment of cookies, and GF brownies for Thanksgiving dessert this year.

We don't usually have much in the way of snacks. Dinner is served almost immediately after everyone arrives, we digest a bit, dessert is served, and then everyone leaves.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My SIL makes and bring this pretzel jello dessert thing that I am COMPLETELY NUTS ABOUT.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/20338/s...pretzel-salad/

I mean, I'm seriously crazy about it. I only have it once a year, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willemijne DSI View Post
I would love to experience all these holidays sometime. I only know Thanksgiving dinner from Friends (the series)

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9070 met Tapatalk
I think one of our channels is running a marathon of all the Friends Thanskgiving episodes this week, lol!
Old 11-23-2015, 11:22 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

oh gosh - it all sounds so good - think people wouldn't notice if the meal part wasn't made - it was just snacks and desserts? haha!

Val!!! That dessert is the bomb! We make it with a basic bar crust - but it's my FIL and hubby's favorite... all other holidays and family events, I have to make it and my FIL will eat like 1/2 of it!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
My SIL makes and bring this pretzel jello dessert thing that I am COMPLETELY NUTS ABOUT.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/20338/s...pretzel-salad/

I mean, I'm seriously crazy about it. I only have it once a year, lol!
That's what my mom makes! Except she uses a graham cracker crust and will do strawberries or raspberries. It's so yummy!!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:46 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My family asked for apple crisp which I have never made, but I am going to give it a try.

We haven't thought about snacks at all cause there is only three of us and we have already planned turkey (which I won't even eat..lol), stuffing, potatoes, carrot fries, spinach salad and canned cranberries. But it would be fun to have a special snack, too. I never, ever have Thanksgiving off so this is fun for me.

Last edited by lovely1m; 11-23-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My BIL makes Pecan Pie and these huge chocolate chip, macadamia nut cookies - OMG...so good. All the kids (and adults) ask if he is bringing cookies for dessert. My husband is partial to apple pie. If you have a Costco they had some yummy looking Apple Strudel that could be warmed, cut in slices and served with ice cream.

For grazing I like to do simple things like homemade Chex mix in bowls, cheese and crackers, homemade salsa and tortilla chips, some kind of warm dip - like buffalo chicken dip. All can be made ahead and just set out as you need them.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:35 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

My step daughters and I just made this awesome dessert this last weekend, it was an apple cobbler with snicker doodle cookies on top of it. I found the recipe on Pinterest it was delicious served warm with vanilla bean ice cream!
http://www.bakedbyrachel.com/apple-s...oodle-cobbler/

Last edited by stormchaser; 11-23-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
My family asked for apple crisp which I have never made, but I am going to give it a try.

We haven't thought about snacks at all cause there is only three of us and we have already planned turkey (which I won't even eat..lol), stuffing, potatoes, carrot fries, spinach salad and canned cranberries. But it would be fun to have a special snack, too. I never, ever have Thanksgiving off so this is fun for me.
Did you already find a recipe to use for the apple crisp Mari because I have a super simple and yummy one. It's not really crispy though...
Old 11-23-2015, 07:12 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
Did you already find a recipe to use for the apple crisp Mari because I have a super simple and yummy one. It's not really crispy though...
I also have a super simple one that is crispy! It doesn't have oats, though. I know some people like the oats.

I just decided this morning to do an apple crisp (with a few fresh cranberries tossed in) instead of a pie.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I actually bought my dessert - pumpkin roll and then a pumpkin spice cake. We are only having 4 adults and 3 kids so I decided to do something simple plus they all love pumpkin roll.

I always loved Thanksgiving because my Grandmother would make all different kinds of pies but especially what she called Molasses pie which was basically pecan pie but no pecans (my uncle and I love the pie but not the pecans).
Old 11-23-2015, 09:04 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
Just a couple pinned on pinterest, I would much rather a tried and true one if you are willing to share.