Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-14-2019, 10:47 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Default What Are Your Scrappy Strengths?

We tend to be really hard on ourselves as women and creatives. Too often we focus on the things we're not good at or comfortable with... so on this day of love, I thought we could celebrate some things about ourselves that rock!

What do you think are your strengths as a scrapbooker? What comes easiest to you or what are you most proud of?
Old 02-14-2019, 12:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm...this is a hard one for exactly the reasons you mention! I would say one of my strengths is ability to showcase a product well. I tend to want to use ALL the elements in a kit, even if it's not for a CT page. I also pride myself on being able to find the perfect photo for any kit.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It is hard to celebrate our strengths b/c it feels like bragging and kind of uncomfortable. But I will push past that feeling.

Yrs ago, I remember feeling so overwhelmed with products and ribbon and string just puzzled me as to how to use them LOL. I used to admire how others would cluster and layer and I found it so intimidating. Then.....flash forward to these last 3 yrs or so and I've discovered that I can cluster with the best of them and learned how to mask, use blend modes and brushes and now I even love ribbon and string!

I love that we can evolve, grow and change our styles as we please, there are no real rules to scrapping....you just do what you love.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I hope my strength is scrapping the ordinary... I know I'm bad at scrapping events like birthdays and Christmas.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:33 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
Hmmm...this is a hard one for exactly the reasons you mention! I would say one of my strengths is ability to showcase a product well. I tend to want to use ALL the elements in a kit, even if it's not for a CT page. I also pride myself on being able to find the perfect photo for any kit.
I love how your pages are full, but not overdone! Do you have an organizational system for photos or just a really good memory?!
Old 02-14-2019, 09:38 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
It is hard to celebrate our strengths b/c it feels like bragging and kind of uncomfortable. But I will push past that feeling.

Yrs ago, I remember feeling so overwhelmed with products and ribbon and string just puzzled me as to how to use them LOL. I used to admire how others would cluster and layer and I found it so intimidating. Then.....flash forward to these last 3 yrs or so and I've discovered that I can cluster with the best of them and learned how to mask, use blend modes and brushes and now I even love ribbon and string!

I love that we can evolve, grow and change our styles as we please, there are no real rules to scrapping....you just do what you love.
There's nothing wrong with a little bragasaurus moment now and again... I believe it's so important to celebrate our accomplishments, even if they seem small!! I love being able to look back at old pages and see how far I've come too.

I love the way you use paint and masks it's super fun!
Old 02-14-2019, 09:40 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I hope my strength is scrapping the ordinary... I know I'm bad at scrapping events like birthdays and Christmas.
I have been admiring your project life pages, they are so unique and photo-centric!
Old 02-14-2019, 09:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Karli-Marie....I love "bragasaurus".....now I want to scrap a page using that as my title!!! tee-hee
Old 02-14-2019, 09:43 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I think I am good at mixing multiple kits seamlessly, journaling, and using templates in different ways. I like how versatile my scrap portfolio is.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:43 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I'm not too great at shadows but while i'm trying to learn shadows I think my clusters have improved from what i did when i started - i especially like my more recent pages where i have added elements to pocket pages, i've always loved the idea of pocket pages but more recently started improving on the whole age look of a pocket page
Old 02-14-2019, 09:46 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitartas View Post
I'm not too great at shadows but while i'm trying to learn shadows I think my clusters have improved from what i did when i started - i especially like my more recent pages where i have added elements to pocket pages, i've always loved the idea of pocket pages but more recently started improving on the whole age look of a pocket page
I love the way your embellishments and clusters accentuate your pages without taking the focus away from your photos!
Old 02-14-2019, 10:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

hmmm, this is harder than you'd think. What am I, or do I feel are my strengths? Perhaps being able to scrap with any style of kit. I can scrap artistic, vintage, pocket, whimsical. And if my layouts aren't like the pro's, I at least try and don't let it defeat me.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

A few weeks ago, I would have said my strength was scrapping multi photo layouts, and pocket style layouts. But in just the last few weeks, I have found myself not liking that style as much! This just totally shocks me too!

I like my clusters, but know there are areas of improvement with them. So, I think my strength right now is thinking outside the box with overly themed kits.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm, I don't usually think about what I do well as a scrapper. I think more about the fact that I just love doing it so much and that it makes me so happy to see memories preserved! I feel like one of my strengths is probably versatility and my desire to try all the things which really makes my scrapbooks varied and fun to look through. I'd say also that I'm pretty good at making a photo match a kit by working some PS magic on it!
Old 02-15-2019, 12:05 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I like to think I'm well rounded and not particularly the best at any one thing
Old 02-15-2019, 03:15 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think that for me it's photoless layouts. I often forget to take photos, but still want to tell the story afterwards. So I focus on a journal card and journaling. And lately I like to include QR codes.

Besides that, I just love photoless layouts.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I guess I would say using stamps and brushes and my ability to make every page unique and different.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:06 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think it's clustering for me.....but I could be totally wrong. I'm pretty hard on myself...clusters are never good enough and sometimes I do have to tell myself to stop adding elements to my layout. LOL
Old 02-15-2019, 08:38 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I consider journaling to be my scrappy strength!
Old 02-15-2019, 10:29 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I think I am with Sheri here, pretty well rounded.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm great at journaling.

I've spent the last 2 years really working on self esteem/worthiness issues so I'm not going to follow that up with an excuse or a justification or contrasting it with all the things that I think I'm bad at.

I'm just going to say I'm good at that. That's the truth, and that's that.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:52 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think you are all amazing scrappers!

I think my strengths are photography, pocket pages, and multi-photo pages. A nice way of saying "clutter." lol!

Old 02-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
hmmm, this is harder than you'd think. What am I, or do I feel are my strengths? Perhaps being able to scrap with any style of kit. I can scrap artistic, vintage, pocket, whimsical. And if my layouts aren't like the pro's, I at least try and don't let it defeat me.
You have such a diverse gallery! I admire the way you scrap a single photo (this is NOT my specialty!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
A few weeks ago, I would have said my strength was scrapping multi photo layouts, and pocket style layouts. But in just the last few weeks, I have found myself not liking that style as much! This just totally shocks me too!

I like my clusters, but know there are areas of improvement with them. So, I think my strength right now is thinking outside the box with overly themed kits.
Thinking outside the box is such a great skill to have when stretching your stash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley View Post
Hmmm, I don't usually think about what I do well as a scrapper. I think more about the fact that I just love doing it so much and that it makes me so happy to see memories preserved! I feel like one of my strengths is probably versatility and my desire to try all the things which really makes my scrapbooks varied and fun to look through. I'd say also that I'm pretty good at making a photo match a kit by working some PS magic on it!
Your gallery is a lot of fun to look at! I enjoy the variation of not just your scrap style, but of your kit choices as well.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd have to say journaling is my biggest strength. I have no problem adding information or a story to my pages. Leaving the journaling off is a lot harder for me!
Old 02-15-2019, 01:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Ally... you are all amazing!! I love that everyone has their unique strengths. That's how you were made - to be you!

I think my strength is clustering. I'm nowhere near the best, but I enjoy it and think I'm good at it.
I also think I'm good at making a kit look good. I think Kendall said that. It's definitely a strength.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:26 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I like to think I'm well rounded and not particularly the best at any one thing
I agree, you have mastered a lot of different styles, but I love that there is still something uniquely YOU about your pages - I can still spot a 'Sheri' from across the room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar View Post
I think that for me it's photoless layouts. I often forget to take photos, but still want to tell the story afterwards. So I focus on a journal card and journaling. And lately I like to include QR codes.

I love this! There are so many ways to document our memories; you do such a great job of this... I'm curious what your QR codes link to?!
Old 02-15-2019, 02:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm good at the memory keeping aspect of scrapping. Journaling, making sure the major moments of our year are in the album, giving a realistic snapshot of our life each year, etc. The artistic parts of scrapping are harder for me, though I enjoy those, too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
I guess I would say using stamps and brushes and my ability to make every page unique and different.
This totally shines through in your work, even your siggy shows off your strength!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancka View Post
I think it's clustering for me.....but I could be totally wrong. I'm pretty hard on myself...clusters are never good enough and sometimes I do have to tell myself to stop adding elements to my layout. LOL
Yes! Even your pocket style pages are clustered beautifully. It is so hard to know when to stop!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
I consider journaling to be my scrappy strength!
This is a wonderful strength and something your family will cherish! I've been working on being more consistent in journaling our every day moments. Do you write your journaling when you sit down to scrapbook or do you journal in the moment?
Old 02-15-2019, 02:46 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
I think I am with Sheri here, pretty well rounded.
Your gallery shows your mastery! I am in awe of how prolific your portfolio is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I'm great at journaling.

I've spent the last 2 years really working on self esteem/worthiness issues so I'm not going to follow that up with an excuse or a justification or contrasting it with all the things that I think I'm bad at.

I'm just going to say I'm good at that. That's the truth, and that's that.
Constant self-improvement is a life-long goal of mine. Always striving to be the best me I can be.

I love to read other people's journaling, it gives such interesting insight and depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
I think you are all amazing scrappers!

I think my strengths are photography, pocket pages, and multi-photo pages. A nice way of saying "clutter." lol!
I think your "clutter" is beautifully and remarkably well put together!
Old 02-15-2019, 04:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar View Post

Sarah, you are the queen of photoless LOs!! I love seeing them in the gallery!
Old 02-15-2019, 06:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
You are such a versatile scrapper, Wendy! Looking through your gallery is such an inspiration!
Old 02-15-2019, 06:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I really admire those of you who have the strength in journaling - Karli-Marie, Rebecca, and LeeAndra!! I really struggle with getting my thoughts & memories onto my LOs.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancka View Post
Your clustering is phenomenal, Biancka!! I also admire that you are so prolific! You get more LOs done that almost anyone I know!
Old 02-15-2019, 07:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've never really thought about this question- I guess I would say clusters & using ALL THE THINGS because I like ALL THE THINGS and want them on one page! lol! I have been trying to use different templates & mix up my 'norm' so that's been fun too!
Old 02-15-2019, 08:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlimarie View Post
I love how your pages are full, but not overdone! Do you have an organizational system for photos or just a really good memory?!
You are so sweet! Thank you for the kind compliment. If there is one area of my life that actually IS organized, it's my photos. I have everything sorted by event and am a big fan of subcategories. For example, I have a School folder for all my daughter's school events, but then subfolders for each grade. For the more everyday photos that don't necessarily fall neatly into one category or event, I sort those by year and season and try to tag specific things so that they will show up if I need to search for them. I also do have a pretty decent memory when it comes to remembering when a certain event took place. I have no idea if any of that makes sense, but it seems to work pretty well for me!
Old 02-15-2019, 08:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
I agree with wanting to use "ALL THE THINGS" in a kit lol

This is a hard question but I'd like to think my strengths are my clustering and probably my use of white space....lol while using "all the things" lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2019, 10:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If I had to choose one thing it would be clustering, I can cluster the h e double Q out of anything. As far as layouts I’m pretty sure I can do about anything thrown my way but my hardest is a minimalist page, due to my cluster obsession no doubt .
Old 02-16-2019, 12:25 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Though I've been scrapping a lot of older photos to try to finally finish my younger daughter's baby book (so it doesn't show nearly as much on those b/c I had a crap camera, lol), I think photography is one of my biggest strengths as a scrapper.

I'd also say I'm good at journaling when I take the time to actually do it; I'm a writer/English teacher, so that part is a no-brainer for me to be good at.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:40 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlimarie View Post
Your gallery shows your mastery! I am in awe of how prolific your portfolio is.
Awww... thank you, sweetie!
Old 02-16-2019, 04:19 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My scrapping gift is scrapping myself. I don't know that this is a valuable gift, but over the years I have used my scrapbook layouts like a diary, and I LOVE looking back at them. Sometimes I don't even remember feeling the way that I scrapped about, so it's extra special to me to have my thoughts & feelings captured in a page.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

have no idea to be honest

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 02-16-2019, 07:13 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm, maybe using lots of different and random things on a page, including paint, stamps, scribbles, thread, etc and somehow they all come together to not be a complete mess! And I like to think I can make a boy page out of almost any kit, including the girly ones!
Old 02-16-2019, 07:27 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I like journalling, and I like it a lot. Words have always been one of my strengths, and scrapbooking challenges me to tell stories. I've worked a lot over the years on clustering, and love to create pocket pages, so I think that these are both things that are coming to me more naturally than they used to.

Creative for Grace Lee & Scrapping with Liz
Guesting for LJS Designs in Nov-Dec 2020
Old 02-16-2019, 03:12 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I love reading what you guys have written. We definitely don't give ourselves kudos enough! As a scrapper I'd say my strengths lie in my clustering and journaling. I've noticed though that now I spend more time designing than scrapping and those clusters are getting harder. I'm a tad out of practice I guess. That just means I have to scrap more!
Old 02-16-2019, 06:28 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I love this! I think I'm good at clustering and mixing kits. I not generally a kit scrapbooker and really love to mix and match things.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

not getting anything done! holla!
Old 02-16-2019, 08:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
Old 02-16-2019, 09:24 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
SAME! I'm doing better so far this year, but 2018 was virtually a bust for me as far as scrapping anything.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I scrapped very little until after Christmas 2018. But I'm doing ok for 2019!

It's strange seeing the people I feel are amazing scrappers doubt themselves! I guess no matter where we are in our scrapping journey it's just that, a journey, and we can all improve.

I don't think much about my strengths, I'm much more aware of my weaknesses, like journaling!! I guess my strength would be getting the memories saved! Or maybe scrapping a variety of layouts.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

actually, my strength is clean and simple and mixing and matching kits - I’m almost never a one kit scrapper

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv