Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Facial Cleansers for Tween Girls

DD #1 is 9 and already starting to get blackheads on her nose. Poor girl. I guess it's time for me to start buying her a facial cleanser, but don't know where to start for her age. I'd like to get her something that is easy on the skin, won't dry it out, etc.

I was thinking maybe Arbonne and of course DH says "oh sure, it has to be the expensive stuff. why not Oil of Olay or something?" I laughed at him. The good ones are all expensive.

Anyway, what should I start with??
Old 05-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cetaphil? That's what the dermatologist recommends. You can even buy off brand at Target - cheap - it's more like a lotion. Just have her use a washcloth to clean with it so it exfoliates a bit.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I honestly can't use most of the products out there because of how sensitive my skin is, btu I swear by aveeno.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

We like Neutrogena facial wash and an astringent as well.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'd recommend Cetaphil also..I've used it for years..i have sensitive skin and it's very mild but works well.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
I'd recommend Cetaphil also..I've used it for years..i have sensitive skin and it's very mild but works well.
Yep - this is what the dermatologist recommended for both my big boys when they needed it.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

We use the clean and clean line here for my 9 and 13 year old. This one is particular good:

Blackhead Eraser Scrub

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
We like Neutrogena facial wash and an astringent as well.
Ditto, I currently use the grapefruit one now and love it.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ditto on the Cetaphil. Derma recommended for us. DD is now on prescription stuff being 13 but when she was your tweenie's age she used Cetaphil and it helped. She has EXTREMELY sensitive skin btw.

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 05-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My Devin has serious blackhead issues and very sensitive skin. I started using the oil cleansing method on him and it's pretty amazing how well it works. I'm considering it for myself now! It's pretty simple and harsh chemical free (I mean, if you're willing to put olive oil in your mouth, why not on your skin?). Best part? You probably have everything you need in the kitchen right now.

http://simplemom.net/oil-cleansing-method/
Old 05-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

My daughter doesn't have skin issues yet, she's 10. But once a week she will use my pre moistened Oil of Olay wipes. Her skin is even smoother, very pretty glow and nice tone. We both have VERY sensitive skin too so this definietly works.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That's Deep by mark. is only $8.00. I use it regularly, and I love it.

However, blackhead controlling cleansers of any sort can be very drying, so I wouldn't recommend using it without a moisturizer at least once a day.

mark. has a great blackheadeducing moisturizer, as well, for $18, called Break Out Plan. It's really easy to get the right amount of moisturizer, too- you just push down on the top once, and the EXACT amount you need comes out the top (the first use you have to push down a few times to get any out, but after that, it delivers the exact amount you need).

They also have a fun gift set that has 3 full size products AND their travel size counterparts, but at $40 it's a little pricey for most people. Plan of Action kit.

I have been using all of these products, and pretty much all of the mark. stuff consistently for ages (since the debut of each, actually), and I've never had a problem with any of them. I'd be happy to send you some samples if you want her to try it out... just PM me your address. Gives you a chance to try it before you invest any money in something that might or might not be right for her. My dermatologist has been very impressed with the mark. product and has started recommending their line to many of her other clients...

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 05-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
I honestly can't use most of the products out there because of how sensitive my skin is, btu I swear by aveeno.
I use Aveeno for my skin too, so I never thought of it before, but this is what I picked up for DD tonight. We will try this and then when it's gone we'll try the Cetaphil or some of the others. I'm so worried about drying her skin out or making it worse.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
My Devin has serious blackhead issues and very sensitive skin. I started using the oil cleansing method on him and it's pretty amazing how well it works. I'm considering it for myself now! It's pretty simple and harsh chemical free (I mean, if you're willing to put olive oil in your mouth, why not on your skin?). Best part? You probably have everything you need in the kitchen right now.

http://simplemom.net/oil-cleansing-method/
I think I might give that a try. I am going shampoo free after we use our last bottle...might as well give this a try too.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest uses the Clean and Clear blackhead eraser scrub and it works wonderfully so long as she is consistent with it. We have found some home remedies also that work well to help that you can find online. As for my younger daughter (10 yrs), she is currently using the Boots Expert Sensitive Gentle Refreshing Toner and soap collection that you can find at Target. I was worried about her skin and this seems wonderful without drying it too much or making it oily. Her occasional acne seem to clear pretty quickly that I use it when I have some freakin trip back to puberty.