Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-10-2021, 08:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Optavia

Has anyone here done the Optavia diet? If so can you tell me about your experience? Did it work for you? Did you have any problems with the "fuelings?" Did it really help change the way you look at food for the long run? TIA
Old 01-10-2021, 09:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes it works- and fast. Some of the fuelings are disgusting but there's lots of ways to 're-invent' them. I became really good at that. It worked well for me for a long time, until it didn't. It was hard to make almost completely different meals for myself & my family. I still try to eat a lean & green for dinner in general, but I definitely gained a lot back- I blame covid really... and baking!

Edited to add: One of my good friends & coworkers is a coach & was who I did it through. She's maintained for a very long time!

Last edited by AmieN1; 01-10-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
Yes it works- and fast. Some of the fuelings are disgusting but there's lots of ways to 're-invent' them. I became really good at that. It worked well for me for a long time, until it didn't. It was hard to make almost completely different meals for myself & my family. I still try to eat a lean & green for dinner in general, but I definitely gained a lot back- I blame covid really... and baking!

Edited to add: One of my good friends & coworkers is a coach & was who I did it through. She's maintained for a very long time!
Maybe it will be easier for me since I live alone and am not cooking for anyone but me? I like the idea of only cooking one meal a day, because that is all I do and just making something quick from a pack for the others.

I just started today and ran across on of those disgusting fuelings. It literally made me sick. Because of that, I am not going to get in all 5 fuelings, but my coach says it is okay.

If you have a board or anything like that for the reinventing of things or lean and green recipes, could you please share it with me. I think I will need to do some reinventing just to make things more interesting.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm curious now. What is a fueling??
Old 01-11-2021, 12:30 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

It is what they call their prepacked food for the diet. They are based on eating six small meals per day to put your body into a gentle but efficient fat burning state while maintaining lean muscle mass. The fuelings are nutritionally interchangeable, scientifically-designed to keep your blood sugar level through the day. That is what I am looking for, better control of my diabetes. My A1C is good, but I struggle with my energy during the day and especially after meals. I try to avoid the carbs, etc, yet still fee logged down. Hoping this will help. And help me lose weight so that I can maybe get off my diabetes meds. Since I am a type 2 it is possible.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've never heard of your diet, although it sounds familiar to the one that I will be doing later this year - as far as six small "meals" throughout the day". I'll have to check this one out and see if it's something I can incorporate with what I'm working on with my Nutritionist.

I know it isn't an ideal diet, but my husband has been on Keto for several years and has gotten his A1C down to 5 by Keto - if you want to get honest, it's basically him eating lean meat and veggies. I don't cook with all the fatty stuff that is also part of the Keto diet, but I guess we've altered it through the years for his diabetes.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post

Oh my gosh Yes for me too!!!! Almost the exact same experience. Trying to get back going.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Here are a few of my FAVORITE recipes... even my kids love them!

For this one I use ground turkey... And we LOVE to use a sugar free BBQ sauce instead or marinara. Our favorite brand (their teriyaki is also amazing)

Best marinara for the program...

I also have a mac n cheese and cheesy bread (both use cauliflower) that I will have to look up later for you... gotta help my kiddo with math.

*** Sorry the images are ginormous! LOL

Old 01-11-2021, 01:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

interesting - I've never heard of this... I'll have to check it out, my husband is fed up with his sugar numbers. He has been seeing a holistic doctor for almost a year and his numbers aren't better, but other things are. Maybe this would work for him?
Old 01-11-2021, 04:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
Maybe it will be easier for me since I live alone and am not cooking for anyone but me? I like the idea of only cooking one meal a day, because that is all I do and just making something quick from a pack for the others.

I just started today and ran across on of those disgusting fuelings. It literally made me sick. Because of that, I am not going to get in all 5 fuelings, but my coach says it is okay.

If you have a board or anything like that for the reinventing of things or lean and green recipes, could you please share it with me. I think I will need to do some reinventing just to make things more interesting.
Pinterest has a TON of hacks- I think they are even called Fueling Hacks- one of my fave was the tomato soup turned into a pizza crust & then top with lots of veggies & skim cheese. Also I hated the mashed potatoes so I used a bit more water & made them in the waffle maker to more of a hashbrown crunchy thing! Great with an egg on top! I turned the oatmeal into a muffin, or added some chopped nuts & sugar free syrup to make it a bit sweeter. I loved the brownie with a tablespoon of PB powder on swirled in on top!

I love the sugarfree bbq sauce that Amy posted too! I found a really good salad dressing that fit in the guidelines too- any yogurt based!
This is our fave!
Old 01-11-2021, 04:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My dad's a coach and yes it works really quickly. The fuelings are gross but the lean and green idea is good. I also learned that you can't eat too little - it's all about balance. I didn't personally go through it but I saw him and the people he helped lose weight pretty quickly, and not gain it back. The main problem one of them complained about however was the soy-based food made her stomach hurt. Not sure if you're having the same experience.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:25 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the advice, products and recipes. Pinning and buying are happening.

Interesting experience today. I did something to help out a co-worker who is a food scientist and she wanted to buy my lunch as a thanks. When I told her I was doing Optavia, she got so excited because not only has she done it in the past and lost 40 lbs, she worked for them and created many of the fueling recipes. She was sharing all kinds of ideas and things with me today and just so enthusiastic about the program, that it really made me feel better about it. Yesterday was pretty rough with getting sick on one of the fuelings, which she was quick to point out was not one of hers, lol, but today was good. I got all my fuelings in, ate my lean and green and drank all my water. Very happy about that.

Last edited by LJSDesigns; 01-12-2021 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:40 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, products and recipes. Pinning and buying are happening.

Interesting experience today. I did something to help out a co-worker who is a food scientist and she wanted to buy my lunch as a thanks. When I told her I was doing Optavia, she got so excited because not only has she done it in the past and lost 40 lbs, she worked for them and created many of the fueling recipes. She was sharing all kinds of ideas and things with me today and just so enthusiastic about the program, that it really made me feel better about it. Yesterday was pretty rough with getting sick on one of the fuelings, which she was quick to point out was not one of hers, lol, but today was good. I got all my fuelings in, ate my lean and green and drank all my water. Very happy about that.
oooh good for you Lorie! I'm glad today (yesterday) was a good day!
Old 01-12-2021, 11:32 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjcaz View Post

On the chicken for this one, do you need to use canned chicken? If so do you have a good brand to recommend because I hate canned chicken.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:38 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

If any one is still doing this and looking for some good recipes, I found this site that has some delicious looking ones.

http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com/

I know I will be trying some of the crockpot ones soon.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
On the chicken for this one, do you need to use canned chicken? If so do you have a good brand to recommend because I hate canned chicken.
I've used the canned chicken from Sam's club for curry chicken salad and find if you're seasoning it, it's not bad. I thought Tyson's chicken in a pouch was better than all the canned I've tried. We initially got it for camping put it's not bad to have on hand..
Old 03-11-2021, 07:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Hey y'all! I wanted to check in with you and let you know how this is going for me.

I don't weigh myself because it causes me a lot of stress, but I went to the doctor yesterday and I am down 23 lbs since I started this program. Even better, I am down 40 lbs from this time last year. I am so happy knowing that.

I have a ways to go yet, but this program suits me and the way I live really well, so I think I can get there. I am not going for speedy results, but rather a slow and steady pace that really has me making life style changes. So far so good.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

that's awesome Lorie!!
Old 03-12-2021, 05:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

That's awesome Lorie! So happy for you!

Old 03-12-2021, 06:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Hey y'all! I wanted to check in with you and let you know how this is going for me.

I don't weigh myself because it causes me a lot of stress, but I went to the doctor yesterday and I am down 23 lbs since I started this program. Even better, I am down 40 lbs from this time last year. I am so happy knowing that.

I have a ways to go yet, but this program suits me and the way I live really well, so I think I can get there. I am not going for speedy results, but rather a slow and steady pace that really has me making life style changes. So far so good.
oh yay! That's wonderful! Congrats Lorie!
Old 03-12-2021, 10:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Congrats, Lorie! Keep up the good work!
Old 03-13-2021, 04:19 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yay! Congrats!!! Great job!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 03-13-2021, 04:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Wow, Lorie! Congratulations! I hadn't heard of this diet until just now. It sounds interesting; I might have to look into it. Is it basically sugar free? Is fruit allowed?
Old 03-24-2021, 11:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the encouragement Ladies. Frankly, I needed a few atta-girls. LOL

Lizzie, it is sugar free and it is working very well for my diabetes. I just got my blood test results and my A1C went from a 7.1 down to a 5.6 in two months on the plan. The doctor cut my medicine in half as a result. Since getting off my diabetes meds is my goal, I am pretty happy with that.

They do not include fruit during the 5-1 phase because the sugars are so different fruit to fruit. But when I do feel the need for fruit, my coach tells me to stick to berries as they are the best option. (I love having a coach to encourage and inform me. My coach, Karen, has been such a positive influence for me through this. No pressure, just support and wisdom.)

After the 5-1 phase, they teach you to eat to maintain the weight loss and that is when they introduce fruit back into your diet.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That's awesome! Congrats!!!!!
Old 03-25-2021, 10:40 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Awesome job!!! It's so good to see the result on the scale too. I bet you feel a lot better too! I know I do when I eat green.

I've been doing Noom for a while now. It teaches you to eat green first and change your thinking. I lost 50 pounds on that and then I've gained back a few this past 6 months. Lots of stress. Not doing anything but trying to hang in there. (daughter with all the allergies below diagnosed with epilepsy and migraines). I started back a week ago and have lost 2 of those pounds, so I'm thankful I'm heading in the right direction. We also seem to have a bit of a handle on her diagnosis now, so that's good.

My problem in this house is food allergies.
My daughter: anaphylactic to CARROTS!!! They're in lots of things you don't think about - like pre-made soup stock? Eating out is always an issue. She's also allergic to all nuts and peanuts and every type of pollen/dust/environment.
The other daughter: allergic to nuts and peanuts (runs in the family)
My hubby: he's just allergic to walnuts, but also tomatoes and potatoes cause his joints to flare up.

So all that makes finding recipes challenging...and I'm always looking for new ones. So I'm definitely going to be checking out the site you posted.

I got an air fryer for Christmas...and that is wonderful. We've started using it almost daily. I think I need two.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jo View Post

I got an air fryer for Christmas...and that is wonderful. We've started using it almost daily. I think I need two.
I got myself an air fryer months ago and have yet to use it. Do you have any lean and green recipes for that one you would be willing to share?

I can imagine how hard it is to create meals with the varying allergies you are dealing with. Hopefully you can find some go to ones that will help.

I'm a stress eater myself, so I totally understand putting weight on during those times. Good for you for hanging in there when it was all you could do and then getting started again. Getting started is hard!

It's bad of me to say, but I've been working in the office all through the Covid quarantine, essential worker, and have noticed that a lot of the people starting to come back to work on site have put on weight. I guess the covid 15 is a real thing, which makes me even more happy that I have taken weight off in the last year instead of put it on.

I still have a long way to go on this journey, but I keep thinking about that quote, do something today that you will thank yourself for in a year. I'm thanking myself these days, kwim? LOL
Old 03-27-2021, 09:22 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Thank you for the information, Lorie! If I didn't love sweets so much, I wouldn't be as fat. I was 20 pounds thinner until about 1.5 years ago when I was put on medication that made me gain 30 pounds. I had worked so hard to get down to where I was. I'm still on the med but in a much smaller dose, so I'm finally able to lose weight.

Jo, I don't know how you do it, trying to make separate things for those with allergies. Sounds like you have done a fabulous job of keeping your weight off (even though you gained a bit)!

I have been working at home for a year now. I have not gained any weight; in fact I've lost about 7 pounds, BUT I feel and am fatter. The law firm where I work is not huge, but I would have to walk about 50 feet to the restroom and 25 feet to get to the parking lot and would occasionally take the stairs to get to the second floor (when one of my knees flares up, I can't do stairs). Then there's the walking to someone's office here and there. It all adds up. Plus, the stress is bad right now. I am trying to get back into yoga. My favorite yoga video company(?) has an app, and I'm going to do the trial and hopefully subscribe.

Good luck to us!