Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-26-2016, 12:42 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Holiday Hits or Misses

What were the big hits or big misses with your gifts this year?

Of course, my 2yo's favorite gifts were the dollar store trucks & cars he got in his stocking. My sister & BIL also got him a wooden train that he played with all afternoon at my parents' house.

My 7yo got so many crafting & Lego & drawing sets from my family that she couldn't decide which to do first. We got her a Qixels3D pack (like what would happen if Minecraft & Aquabeads had a baby) that she seems to like but she's having a hard time building the bead layers and getting them to stay in place to actually look like something. I'm not sure that the gift will last past Christmas break.

My family has a hard time figuring out what to give DH so he basically gets the same gifts every year (but doesn't seem to notice!). My mom gave him 4 GF baking mixes as a present but since he doesn't cook or bake at all it's really giving me some chores vs. giving him a present.

I liked most of what I got. A few things never even made it into our house as our trashcan is right by the back door.

My favorite gifts were a purse that I made an offhand comment abt in front of my mom a few months ago but had no idea she remembered or had gotten it for me & a GC to the salon where I get my hair & brows done.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:22 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Kids loved their legos, skateboard, batman cave and Orbeez (aka HUGE MESS!)
Old 12-26-2016, 11:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Cole loved his new 3DS XL...he played it the rest of the day.

Mattie got a bunch of stuff from Pink so she's in heaven (she's 13). I also got her this super soft blanket and she was so excited to pull that thing out of the box.

Matt is excited to use his Instant Pot. We'll have to go to the store today to figure out what to make in it.

I got a Yeti cooler (a zippered bag one). I already used it to take beer to my mom's yesterday.

The kids both got movie theater gift cards so we'll probably go see Sing tomorrow when Matt goes back to work.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Jasper LOVED all of his animals...he got a big plastic tub of them and he got some in a lego duplo set.

Stella got a Wellie Wisher and adores her which made me soooo happy! I struggle with her a little bit in the sense that I never know whether to get her stuff the boys will do with her, or just lots of girly things.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988

This year I didn't really want or need anything. My parents and I just did stockings and by stockings I mean each of us had one of those really big stockings. My favorite things I received were 2 new charms for my Moon & Stars themed Pandora bracelet. My mom got me a charm that is dangly and it says I love you to the moon and back which is our saying between each other for as far back as I can remember (though she had no clue it had that inscribed on the back of the charm). I told her and she was so excited because she had no clue. It's really the little things in life that make me the happiest. I also loved my Jansport back pack with Anchors on it! I also love Tinker Bell and received a beautiful Disney Hallmark Tinker Bell figurine and she is so beautiful.

Most of the time I would rather give to receive. I made my mom this simple easel calendar when Shutterfly had it for free (only paid $6 shipping) and it was her favorite gift. I always make her a calendar for the following year at Christmas when Shutterfly runs them for free. My dad loved the Nicholas Sparks book I got him! We love to read and he's our favorite author!

Old 12-26-2016, 12:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We still need to celebrate with my Dad and that side of the family next weekend, but so far.

Nicholas really loved his Cosmo robot, Bloxols, Legos and books. I was really happy that he got a new lifejacket and SkyZone jump passes.

I loved everything I have received so far. I got the big Kitchenaid stand mixer I have been dying to get for years from my boyfriend. My grandma got me a huge, super nice food processor. My mom & step-dad got me a Smart Home set and new towels. My son got me a beautiful necklace. Santa gave me nail polish and a nail dryer which is pretty awesome because my boyfriend paints my nails for me.

My boyfriend got a Man Crate that he had a lot of fun with, a smart tape measure that I got from a kickstarter, a BBQ set, slippers and a Lowe's gift card for a new lawnmower. He seemed super excited about all of it.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had a great Christmas. No real misses here, though they are funny when they happen!

The girls have been begging for an ipad like mine and no way I'm spending that much on their first tablet. They're generally irresponsible with everything. It was the one thing they asked for. We got them a Samsung tab a, we paid less for two of those together than what my ipad cost, so I figure it's a good starting point to see how well they'll take care of it. We purposely held them back Christmas morning. (they haven't been the best this year) Wanted to see how they'd do not getting the one gift they asked for. It was hard picking gifts for them being a tween they're getting out of toys, but I have to say I did good They still said how it was the best Christmas ever, so we had no problem giving them the tablets and it just made their day!

Got my dh a nook tablet 7, since he's been wanting to put some of his books on my nook and has a few apps of his own on my ipad, so it was perfect for him. He got me a new computer - which was awesome and SO needed.

After the computer, I'd have to say my fave was the throw my MIL got me. I'm so tall and using the 50x60 throws is uncomfortable, they stop at my ribs if I get my feet covered, and this is the first 50x70 I've had - so perfect!!
Old 12-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We've had a lot of misses this year... actually, more than ever before! My mom got my son slippers that don't fit him and a Christmas themed snow globe for my daughter (she doesn't really care for it, and neither do I). Both will go back to the store. She also got the kids a disc-type swing (I actually picked it out) and now that we see it in person, it looks pretty babyish. Not sure the kids will like it better than our current swing. My MIL got my daughter clothes in size 6 even though she asked and I told her she's size 7/8. That has to go back. And she got my son a video game we told her 'no' to when she asked. We told him (without giving details) not to open it, but when we weren't paying attention he opened it so we have to keep it but he doesn't know yet... we won't be letting him play it. Then, DH got my son an old electric football game that vibrates, and it is missing parts. So we have to take that back. AND last but not least, we've spent ALL AFTERNOON trying to install my new Wacom Tablet and can't get it to work. So... yeah. Feeling a little Bah Humbug right now! LOL

It was a GREAT Christmas though and all in all, most of what we got was enjoyed and appreciated.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No misses here this year. The kids both got things they were hoping for and we're beyond excited for all they got.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 12-26-2016, 09:12 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

All hits in our little home here.
Hubby was and still is super happy for the Kipling bag I got him! He was so excited to switch his bag right away.
Our son loves his Lego creator 3 in 1 that I picked out for him. He loves the jumping stick that he got from hubby, but I'm not letting him play yet, because he's still coughing.
I am happy with my Starbucks mug and the money hubby and MIL gave me.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Hubby and I got Iphones back in October but I do feel bummed that we did not buy something small to wrap on Christmas day. Unfortunately hubby has never been a gift giver so I try to follow his lead to not upset him.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

All hits here.

My 7 y/o son loved his star wars lego sets and perplexus game.

My 10 y/o daughter is thrilled with her Sims4 computer game and her fairy terrarium kit.

My hubby loves his new bath robe - appropriately sized to his 6'3" frame. (It was hard to find!)

As for me, I'm happily scanning film on my new epson film scanner.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

All hits here. My only regret is not buying my hubby more. Unfortunately he only got 2 t-shirts & Cologne from us. But he already bought himself stuff he wanted before Christmas so there was nothing to give He gave me an iPad Pro so I REALLY feel awful.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2016, 10:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wins all around here!

The highlights:

My husband: some new nonstick pans
My 8 year old: a Nerf Mega Centurion from Santa
My 5 year old: an Imaginext Batcave + so many superhero Lego sets
Me: an essential oil diffuser (yay!! It's been on my list forever) + a carpet cleaner (sign that I'm getting old)

We also got a bunch of new games that we can play as a family so I'm excited about that!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 12-26-2016, 10:48 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

The hits were a Disney puzzle that has a stained glass effect. We've been gathered around that puzzle for hours. I think we'll get a puzzle every year for Christmas because we've all had fun with that. Also Qwixx dice game has been very popular and replayed a few times already. My oldest son is a new homeowner, so I got him a super nice ladder and he was very happy with that. Such a change in life to be buying your kid stuff for their home instead of toys! My youngest son was thrilled with t-shirts and figurines from his favorite game Portal. My husband's fave was a Minnesota Vikings hoodie and running shorts. Tops on my list were some sporty tanks for the treadmill and a new hair dryer.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I wish I could have surprised hubby - he picked out all his gifts because he is so hard to buy for - so no surprises for him. Last year he gave me a list to pick from, got him WHAT HE ASKED FOR - and he still took everything back. So, yeah - just buy what you need, Merry Christmas.

I also thought kiddo would be more excited about the snow scooter - a snowboard with a handle.

Me... I got necklaces - a lot of necklaces... two from hubby and like 10 from his aunt. Now I have to find nicer shirts so I can wear them. I don't htink my yoga pants and tees are going to cut it.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:17 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I can't speak for the kids, they're all older so no toys here, but I love what my children bought me. My daughter bought me 2 organizing containers and stuffed them full of crafting/card making stamps and my oldest son bought me a pool stick. We're really big on billiards so that was a huge win! What I really loved was having them all under one roof for the evening and we really had a lot of fun! ♥
Old 12-27-2016, 08:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No real misses, but my younger daughter got three duplicates--two of which were my fault. I even wrote down everything. ~sigh~
Old 12-27-2016, 09:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No misses here - we had a great little Christmas. We had our family Christmas back on the 18th and my parents got me a food dehydrator, which I love. I've made dried mango (so good and soooo expensive in the stores!) and I'm drying blueberries today so I can put them in my homemade granola.

Cheyanne was so excited this year because she has a job and was able to buy presents all by herself for the first time. She put a lot of thought into everyone's gifts and I'm so proud of her. She bought me new slippers because she noticed my old ones were quite thin And she bought me a couple new candles because she knows I love them. I also had a stuffed stocking for the first time in several years (after DH passed "Santa" stuffed my stocking until Cheyanne stopped believing in Santa, and then I didn't bother stuffing my own). She did a great job picking out the perfect things.

We're having Christmas with my son, daughter-in-law, and grandkids this coming Friday so hopefully there won't be any misses there.

As far as Cheyanne goes, no misses there either. She got a lot of BAM (bookstore) gift cards which she loves - she reads tons of books in a year. I got her some new Chuck Taylors (she "collects" the high tops in different colors of course) and a cheval mirror for her room - it's a nice piece and matches her vanity and dresser so when she moves out in a few years she'll have a nice set to take with her. Her biggest hit was the joint present from her 4 uncles (DH's brothers). They all chipped in and bought her 1st car - a used one of course but she is absolutely over the moon
Old 12-27-2016, 10:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It's hard to tell on the misses yet, Cooper got a few things that he really needs help with the first time or two. A drone (cheap one), minecraft stop motion thing and another thing called gotcha gadgets.

Keira so far I think she really liked everything she got, I think the Zoomer Hedgehog wasn't as cool as she was thinking, but she really wanted it.

Harper is still figuring everything out, but I think his were all hits.

Misses, DH got a shirt for me, the size I asked for, but it's more of a junior size, so it's snug, but he did get it from Etsy, so I'm proud of him. LOL!

MIL got Coop a lego idea book, that I told her she had, LOL! And she got Harper a car you take apart and put together, super cool, but the drill doesn't work.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:52 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

My 2 year old has really been enjoying his train table, remote control dump truck and his sister's rc car.

My 8 year old asked for a microscope and she has used it a few times, but the drawing tablet for the PC is what she has used the most.

Both kids have gotten in quite a bit of pretend play with their doctor's coats and kits.

Hubby and I got a Keurig a few weeks ago. He said he wanted to try coffee and it has been about 10 years since I have had any.... and I am already getting sucked back in too fast. The one thing I did get that I am loving is my new monitor. Everything looks amazing. Hard to tear myself away from my games now.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:04 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

this is so much fun to read through and see what everyone got!

I had a great Christmas!

My hubby got my engagement ring fixed. It was in my jewelry box for 2+ years when it had to get cut off as I needed surgery on my index finger.
My oldest son game me and my hubby $$$$$ for a trip, it was part thank you for all the help we did this past year when he purchased a fixer upper.
My son Erik and his wife Heather got me an Arabia of Finland Rice tea cup which I'm super excited about! My DIL goes out of her way shopping on Esty or Ebay to find me old dishes from Arabia of Finland as she knows I collect them! Very thoughtful!
My daughter Emma got me a watch
My son Mark and his girlfriend got me a new Alex & Ani bracelet
My son Kurt and his girlfriend got us matching popcorn bowls.... as they said 'we love to snack together'
My mom got us a box of chocolates|cash|and homemade knitted wash cloths
Old 12-28-2016, 11:26 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
Her biggest hit was the joint present from her 4 uncles (DH's brothers). They all chipped in and bought her 1st car - a used one of course but she is absolutely over the moon
That is so awesome! How thoughtful of them to do that for her!

Old 12-28-2016, 12:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
That is so awesome! How thoughtful of them to do that for her!
It was - she's been fortunate to have them as her surrogate dads over the years. The 4 of them are all DH's older brothers - he was the baby and they were always close
Old 12-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So far hits here, but we're only halfway through Hanukkah. My 10 year old loved the magic things he got (some trick cards, etc.), my 13 year old got the video game and books he asked for, and my 8 year old has gotten a mix of art supplies and kids' jewelry. Her birthday was a couple of days ago, so she also go some shelving for her room (that she requested), an MP3 player and gift card to fill it, and more art supplies.

DH and I don't exchange Hanukkah gifts, but I recently ordered myself a new traveler's notebook (planner) and bought a few other little things for myself. Those were big hits, LOL! I just ordered the calendars and photobooks that I'll give the rest of my family, but they'll be a little late since I didn't have time to work on them until winter break started.