Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-18-2020, 06:12 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Question Instant pot...which size ?? (and more questions)

Hey everyone...

I have a questioon for the instant pot owners out there I have finally convinced DH to buy an instant pot (yay!!!) we want to eat better, more healthy and not order so much take out so we looked up recipes and we feel that the IP is the way to go. Now...we're seeing different sizes. Which one to go for ??? There is only the 3 of us in our household but with birthdays we love to cook for about 15 people so do we go for the 80 Duo or the 60 Duo. I also wonder if you can make recipes that are for the 60 (which I think most on the internet are) in the 80 ??

Oh, and which accessories are a must have ???
Old 05-18-2020, 09:43 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm pretty new to having and using one but I have a family of 5 and my 3 girls are 5, 3 and 1 so not eating full size meals yet but we have leftover for another meal that way.
I have the 6qt. Sometimes I feel I could have gotten the 8 qt instead but it was a gift from my husband so I didn't do the research.

I don't have any accessories besides the trivet that came with.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a 6 quart for our family of 5. I think it's big enough, but sometimes I wish I had 2. I use it for my rice cooker too.

The only accessories I have are a rubber trivet, I like it for eggs and I bought a 7 inch spring form pan to make a cheesecake. It turn out fantastic!
Old 05-18-2020, 10:32 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We've had our IP since 2016, so you can't even get it any more. But we have the Lux 6-in-1 : 6 Quart Instant Pot for our family of 5 (you know their ages--they are older and eat!)

As far as must have recipes, I recommend the Instant Pot Community on Facebook as they have a vast knowledge of recipes and individuals who can help you convert a stove/oven recipe in to an IP recipe!
Old 05-18-2020, 10:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancka View Post
Which one to go for ??? There is only the 3 of us in our household but with birthdays we love to cook for about 15 people so do we go for the 80 Duo or the 60 Duo. I also wonder if you can make recipes that are for the 60 (which I think most on the internet are) in the 80 ??
Assuming 60 Duo and 80 Duo are sizes (6qt/8qt) - yeah you can adjust the sizes of the recipes each time you are making something. If you need more, add more. If you need less, don't make as much. We make anywhere from a 1/2 cup of rice to 4 cups of rice in our IP depending on what we are needing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancka View Post
Oh, and which accessories are a must have ???
I have these and LOVE them! They help me from keeping my hands from getting burnt and I'm not using oven mitts or pot holders.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another thing is you can never have too many rings. We have rings for "sweet" uses and "savory" uses since the rings tend to take on flavor and wear out over time:

I did buy an IP lid for sauteing however I bought the wrong one and found a 6qt lid at the thrift store so I didn't need to buy one through Amazon:

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 05-18-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I’ve got 2 6-quart ones. I was tempted to get the blogger ones but glad I got the ones I did. We cook for 3-4 serving with no problems. I was told the 6 requires minimum of 1cup liquid and 8 requires 1.5 cups minimum. Other than that the only consideration is storage as the 8 is bigger.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thank you all so much for your answers. So we're going with the 6qt. We're going for the IP Duo Plus 60. Hopefully we've made the right choice. Jasper is super excited and is already finding recipes for us to make I found some really nice ones as well so hoping for more variety in our dinners when we have the IP.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
I’ve got 2 6-quart ones. I was tempted to get the blogger ones but glad I got the ones I did. We cook for 3-4 serving with no problems. I was told the 6 requires minimum of 1cup liquid and 8 requires 1.5 cups minimum. Other than that the only consideration is storage as the 8 is bigger.
I have a feeling we are going to end up with 2 too !! LOL Let's just start with one first and show my husband that it is a good appliance to have in the kitchen
Old 05-18-2020, 12:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
I have a 6 quart for our family of 5. I think it's big enough, but sometimes I wish I had 2. I use it for my rice cooker too.

The only accessories I have are a rubber trivet, I like it for eggs and I bought a 7 inch spring form pan to make a cheesecake. It turn out fantastic!
cheesecake....that will make my husband & son very happy. that will be one of the first things I will make in the IP for sure
Old 05-18-2020, 12:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have the Duo 60 (6 quart) for a family of 4 and it is fine for most things. A few times I wish I had gotten the bigger one (for cooking whole chicken or multiple racks of ribs at once) but for the most part, it's been perfect. I use lots of recipes that were for the 8 quart and they were fine.

I purchased a second, non-stick pot liner since it seemed mine was always in the dishwasher!
Old 05-18-2020, 12:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have a 6 qt too - and I think I would love to have a second one rather than a bigger one (because for most things for our family of 5 it is big enough for a main) but sometimes I wish I had another to cook a side and a main while we were out and about.

I have an egg trivet/rack that I love for making hard boiled eggs, and a second liner pot (I also got the nonstick one). I have a spring form pan and a couple of the pots that sit on top of each other but don't use them much (they were gifts and I have them but just haven't used them much).
Old 05-19-2020, 03:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
I have the Duo 60 (6 quart) for a family of 4 and it is fine for most things. A few times I wish I had gotten the bigger one (for cooking whole chicken or multiple racks of ribs at once) but for the most part, it's been perfect. I use lots of recipes that were for the 8 quart and they were fine.

I purchased a second, non-stick pot liner since it seemed mine was always in the dishwasher!
A second liner pot is on my wishlist as well...just going to see how the IP is going to work for us first

Quote:
Originally Posted by clucaswvu04 View Post
We have a 6 qt too - and I think I would love to have a second one rather than a bigger one (because for most things for our family of 5 it is big enough for a main) but sometimes I wish I had another to cook a side and a main while we were out and about.

I have an egg trivet/rack that I love for making hard boiled eggs, and a second liner pot (I also got the nonstick one). I have a spring form pan and a couple of the pots that sit on top of each other but don't use them much (they were gifts and I have them but just haven't used them much).
Oh, I didn't see the non-stick liner pot yet. That sounds like that needs to go on my wishlist for sure. I love non-stick pans The egg trivet/rack is something I would use a lot too so better add that to my list as well.

I do think that with our family of three, the 6qt is sufficient for us. I just got notification that we will get the IP on May 27th so we got some time to maybe order a few more items and look for good recipes I would love to use the IP most days of the week.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have teh 6 qt and when I make soup it's enough for 12 servings.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If you don't already have an air fryer consider the 8qt combination air fryer/instant pot by instant pot. We use it nearly every day!
Old 05-19-2020, 07:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a mesh steamer basket like this one (not the same exact one) that I use often. I put cut up potatoes in it with eggs right on top of the potatoes and cook them for 5 minutes. I make potato salad that we eat warm the first time. Leftovers we eat cold. But...sometimes I wish I had one like this one because it seems like it would be easier to clean.

I have the double stacking pans/pots but I rarely use them. And I have a doube egg steam rack: this one. I've used that for eggs and to lift something higher like potatoes above meat. I have silicone egg bite molds...but I've never used them.

I subscribed to 365 Days of Slow + Pressure Cooking. Also SkinnyTaste has good recipes. I LOVE BEEF, TOMATO AND ACINI DI PEPE SOUP!

Happy cooking! Oh, I have the 6qt Instant Pot Duo.
(Shhh...I also have a different brand I bought a few years earlier from QVC or HSN. Same size. Once in a while I like to have two different things cooking at the same time. )
Old 05-20-2020, 08:24 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
If you don't already have an air fryer consider the 8qt combination air fryer/instant pot by instant pot. We use it nearly every day!
We do have an air fryer (and actifry ! LOL) but we did decide to order the 6qt. With just the three of us, it should be plenty. I just got notice that the IP will be delivered on May 27th so we are already looking for yummie recipes
Old 05-20-2020, 08:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetChar View Post
I have a mesh steamer basket like this one (not the same exact one) that I use often. I put cut up potatoes in it with eggs right on top of the potatoes and cook them for 5 minutes. I make potato salad that we eat warm the first time. Leftovers we eat cold. But...sometimes I wish I had one like this one because it seems like it would be easier to clean.

I have the double stacking pans/pots but I rarely use them. And I have a doube egg steam rack: this one. I've used that for eggs and to lift something higher like potatoes above meat. I have silicone egg bite molds...but I've never used them.

I subscribed to 365 Days of Slow + Pressure Cooking. Also SkinnyTaste has good recipes. I LOVE BEEF, TOMATO AND ACINI DI PEPE SOUP!

Happy cooking! Oh, I have the 6qt Instant Pot Duo.
(Shhh...I also have a different brand I bought a few years earlier from QVC or HSN. Same size. Once in a while I like to have two different things cooking at the same time. )
Thank you so much for all the tips. That mesh basket looks like a good addition to the IP. We love potatosalad so I am going to get that for sure

We did look at different brands but we weren't sure if they'd be as good as the IP so we opted to get the IP one. Once we're used to the IP, we might look for another one that's less pricey (allthough I didn't think the IP was very expensive).

Thank you for all the links. I am going to check them out for sure. You can never have enough recipes