Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default PSE 8 question

OK, keep in mind I'm so NOT a digi girl, so I'm not even sure I know how to ask these questions. But I just got a new computer and it came with PSE 8. The old computer had PSE 6 which is all I've ever used for my hybrid stuff. So 8 seems basically the same, except I'm having a few annoying little problems.

When I open up all of my files, in PSE 6, when I would maximize them, they would stay inside that little workspace area (between the left side tool bar thing and the layers palette). But now in PSE 8, then I maximize them, they pop up and take up my ENTIRE screen, so that the tool bar, layers palette and everything is hidden. Is there a way to change my settings so that I can maximize each file but it just fills up that little workspace thing?

Also, in PSE 6, when I would minimize files, they would just drop down into the bin. But now in PSE 8, when I minimize a file, they drop down below the bin on like a little status bar thing (they're still visible in the bin too, but it's weird). Also, if I'm dragging things onto a new document and then I want to print that one document, it seems to try to print every single file that is open in my bin instead of just the file that's selected. So I have to close everything else in my bin except for the one file I want to print. That wasn't an issue in PSE 6 - it would only print the one document that I had selected and opened up in the main workspace thing.

So anyway, can anyone help? Or does anyone have any suggestions for a non-digi girl? Am I even making sense?? I'm sure I'm not using the right lingo here at all.

TIA!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been struggling with the first problem myself. I switched Friday. I finally did this: edit>preferences, and then uncheck the box that says "allow floating images in edit window" or something pretty close. Then use the zoom tool and the "fit screen" button to make the photo take up the entire window.

For the printing thing, when you click print, a box pops up. Along the left is a sidebar that shows all your open files. Highlight the ones you don't want to print, and click the remove button at the bottom of that sidebar. I think that will work.

I just went from PSE 7 to PSE 8 and I'm struggling to get in a groove with it. Slowly but surely.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

THANK YOU!! I'll try those things...

Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

OK, new question - now when I want to go in and resize an image and I need it to be a specific size based on pizels (like say for a blog post where the image width is restricted to 600 pixels) - in PSE 8 when I click on "image" and then "resize", it doesn't let me set the size in pixels - my only choices are things like inches, percent, etc etc. ARRRGH!!! I am so frustrated right now!! This is really important, especially for my SSD blog posts! Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The pixel dimension is above all the rest isn't it? It should be!! I don't know why its separate, I guess so you can always see the pixels even if you use inches or whatever else!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Do you have a save for web under the file tab? That's how I do it.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did notice that pixels is no longer an option in resizing. I do mine using the crop tool -- just type what you want and then add px instead of in after it. Save for web would work, too.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

are you guys sure about the pixel thing? I totally have the option to change it!
Old 04-07-2010, 08:50 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Pixel dimensions is in a separate box above the document size box. I know I had this problem at first too. I had to check or uncheck a box at the bottom of the image size window. I can't remember exactly but I know there was something that then made the pixel dimensions box appear.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh, you have to check "resample image"
Old 04-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via ICQ to Lukasmummy Send a message via MSN to Lukasmummy Send a message via Yahoo to Lukasmummy

it's a box that says resample image in photoshop cs4 and I am pretty sure it says the same thing in PSE but I have only used up to PSE 4