Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Humor me....have your kids seen any of the Twilight.......

movies.....if so what age are they? TIA!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My daughter, who is 9, has seen some of the first movie. I skipped the part where she in in her bedroom with Edward and we never watched the violent ending, although she's pretty savvy about that kind of thing so I think she'd be okay with it.

ETA: Honestly, I don't see how it's any worse than many of the movies that I see people taking kids to all the time (Spiderman, Batman, Star Wars, Pirates of the Carribean), although the whole vampire concept might be too scary for some kids.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

nope..and the adults haven't, either .
Old 04-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My eldest is 8 and he watched a bit Twilight when I had it on and he said 'this is silly, I'm going to my room'
Old 04-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

my sister's 7, 9 and 10 YO saw it and were fine.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

nope my kids haven't, although my oldest is only 4!

MY BLOG | PINTEREST

BIG FAN!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nope b/c my DD is only 4 and she's into Backyardigans and Disney Princess yet
But one day I was reading an article about Twilight on my desktop and she saw a photo of Mr. Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen and asked me 'who's this boy' and then 'he's beautiful'. My face = ->-> LOL
Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Mine have not seen it, but my oldest is not quite 7.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I struggled with this! My daughter is 9 1/2 and begged to watch it. We have a rule that you can't watch PG-13 movies until you are actually 13. I told her when she turns 13 she can have a slumber party and watch them all with her friends! Good luck
Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DD (11) has seen both movies but has not read any of the books.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My DD is 7 and has seen them and had no problems. My other DD is 4 and saw the first one and also had no problem.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest daughter has seen Twilight. She is 9 1/2 now but was probably 8 1/2 when we watched it. She was fine and not scared at all.

~~Siggie by Laura (emmasmommy)~~
Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My kids are 2 and 5. The 5 year old completely freaks about anything ghost, ghoul, vampire, werewolf, etc. I never even considered it. Of course I haven't seen them either so the movies/books aren't even on the radar around here.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mine have all seen it, but they are teenagers. LOL

My niece has seen them and she was 11 when she saw the first one. My nephew was 6 and he said it was "silly girl stuff" and left the room. LMAO
Old 04-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My DD is 9 and I seriously doubt she would be interested even if I started to watch it.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have a niece who is 12 and way into them. My kiddo is only 3 and a boy.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have kids, but I tend to follow the ratings pretty closely, so if I *did* have kids, I'd probably say they should be 13. Just my opinion. Lol.

I've seen both films so far, and they can be a bit violent, and, the fourth book contains (married) sex; I'm not sure how much of a role it will play in the fourth/fifth movie (they are considering making the fourth book into TWO movies), but if you're not wanting that to be a part of viewing (in... 2011?), then you might not want to get anyone hooked now!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My niece is 9 and she watched Twilight on dvd and liked it so much my sis took her to the movie theater to see New Moon. But she's recently started some afraid of the dark stuff (has to do with her dad having a new baby I think - she only does it on nights her mom is home, otherwise, she's just fine to go to bed at night!) and one of the things they're doing to try to discourage it is take away any movies that might not be appropriate, so she's not allowed to watch the New Moon dvd, or anything not directly targeted to her age.
My girls are only 4 1/2, and wouldn't have any interest, except they were in the room when I watched New Moon recently, and went nuts when they saw the wolves! lol, dogs are their fave thing in the world, so they actually ended up sitting with me and watching the rest. I did make them turn away a time or 2, I didn't want them to be afraid of the wolves in the movie. They just watched and had a hundred bajillions questions, like who the bad guys were, who was being mean, why the dogs were chasing/mad at so-and-so. stuff like that - they had no interest in the actual movie and had no idea what was really happening - kept asking when we'd see the doggies again lol.
I'm not sure how strict I'll be on movies as they get older... I suppose we'll figure it out as we go.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, my oldest will be 6 in two months and seriously, he wouldn't even be interested in that type of movie.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Okay, I'm not crazy then (ie too overprotective) Ashley's been totally bugging me about watching it (she's 7) because she says a lot of her friends from school have seen it. I was totally shocked......she's in Grade 1 !!! And most of her friends are still 6. Honestly I know that she probably wouldn't even like it if she started watching it, she gets scared easily, but wow, I was totally surprised that kids so young were watching it. Sigh....I miss the Disney princess days

I haven't read the books or seen the movies, but just from clips I have seen of them, I didn't think they were really meant for kids so young.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wouldn't say that they are scarier than Harry Potter, but that deep of a love story seems a bit too mature of a theme for such young kids (imo). I'd probably stick to the PG-13 rating if I had the choice (granted I've got an 8 month old boy...so this won't be a problem for awhile yet). If it makes any difference, I wasn't allowed to watch Jurrassic Park when it came out (I think I was about Ashley's age), and I wasn't scarred for life, even though all of my other friends saw it.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I didn't know where you were going with this... but yeah, I wouldn't let my children see it. I have read the books but haven't seen the movies and it's totally NOT for kids. Nothing in the story line is aimed for little ones. I think it's aimed for young adults--which to me, isn't even early teens. Actually, I don't even watch many pg-13 myself so I probably wouldn't even let my 13 year old see it (if I had one...)

I can't believe she is saying kids at school are watching it! They're so young. Maybe they have older siblings and watch it with them?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My daughter Loves them (in secret) apparently they are too popular - but she is 14 - she read the books about 2 years ago...

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Old 04-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

yes...all of mine have sseen them. They are 12, 16 and 18 and I do not see it as being much different then some movies that people allow their kids to see. I mean almost every Disney cartoon has someone who dies in it. Sometimes violently. There are lots of adult situations in Shrek movies and cursing. So Twilight to me does not have anything in it that is so bad for early tweens (10-12 stage Id say)

Oh and you would not believe some of hte movies I saw as a kid. I also think this should be judged as a per child basis. My daughter loves scary movies now. Always wanted to see them as a kid. She watched just a little bit of Tremors and was afraid that giant worms were going to jump out of the ground and eat her. She stopped eating seafood because of Finding Nemo. Cried when Mufasa died in Lion King. I mean really cried. Heck I did too the first time I saw it LOL. Some children are more suseptible to the scary fictional themes in movies and react badly to them. While others are ok. So while some kids might be ok at 8 or 9 with it others might struggle as 12 or 13.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by jessica31876; 04-07-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my daughters are way too young for this - oldest is 3 - but i don't know what i'll do when they start wanting to see things like this ... when i was seven i went to see grease in the movie theater - saw it 7 times that year - LOVED LOVED LOVED it - walked around the house singing and pretending i was sandy - had NO idea what was going on as far as the adult themes! although that was a musical, so maybe it's different ... i was watching 'annie' the other day and thought it was way too adult for kids, to - but i loved that when i was young also ... i don't know ?!?!

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 04-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 7 year old saw it and will probably watch New Moon too. But I don't know if I'll let her see Eclipse or Breaking Dawn until she's older.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine are 13 and 11 amd have seen it, but their mother(they're my stepkids) had no restrictions for them. I personally would not let them see it younger than age 11-12 or so,
Old 04-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

guess I am the oddball - my kids are 5 & 7 year old boys and an 11 year old girl, and they have seen both movies, Twilight & New Moon (on DVD). The boys were kinda tuning in, kinda not. They watch Vampire Diaries with me on TV, and used to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer with me as well (I had a huge obsession with Buffy). They know it's not real, they know it's makeup & visual effects (thank goodness for a friend who does F/X makeup and has shown then before & after pictures!).

Jenna has read all four books ... she reads at a grade 8-9 level.

I didn't take Jenna to watch Twilight with me in the theater (I didn't know my hubby was letting me go watch it when I did see it. lol), but she did come with me to watch New Moon for the first time. I probably won't take her for Eclipse or Breaking Dawn until I have seen them, just because I know the books are more "graphic" than the first two.

Last edited by tuneskids; 04-07-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest (7) has seen bits and pieces of both of them when I've watched them at home but she didn't show much interest in them. I don't have a problem with her watching them as I'm sure she's seen worse on tv but so far she hasn't wanted to and that's just fine with me.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My daughter is 6 and isn't even close to being able to watch movies like Twilight. She is scared of the Wizard of Oz and Monster's Inc, so homicidal vampires wouldn't be a good idea at all for her. She loves Tinkerbell and Princesses still.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:02 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I watched the first one- for curiosity sake.. but honestly, I don't think ce would be interested (he's 6 now)- it's kinda gay BUT.. like someone said .. I am one of those parents who let's my kid watch star wars, etc and he is fine with that stuff.. I think twilight was way more fluff and not so intense.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:04 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

ps.. lol as far as vampire movies go- Van helsing crosses the line for kids imo haha.. I was just watching it and ce wasn't allowed in the room.. Twilight if I could tolerate watching again/he was interested really seems harmless in comparison ^_^ and the two movies have the same rating-- so i guess it's all ap ersonal preference.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

My youngest is 11 (and a boy) and he thought it was, "Stuuuupid". My friend's daughter is 9 or so and she thought the same thing. It wasn't scary to them, just slow and "mushy".

Old 04-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mama-to-Elle

Elle is only 3, and wouldn't want to watch a "Mommy Show".. I dont think that I would allow a 6 or 7 year old to watch it, not because its "inappropriate" or too scary, just not for kids at all, not a funny story line, etc. Its romantic, and I dont want my young daughter to have any more insight to boyfriends, sex, etc, any earlier then she already will be exposed to, these days... sigh. Lol
The ever FABULOUS Lauren Grier
Old 04-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

IF I had an older daughter, she wouldn't be allowed to watch that kind of movie until she was around 13... maybe 12. When I went with my SIL's to the theater to watch New Moon there was like a 8 yr. old girl sitting right next to us and was totally drooling over Jake when he took his shirt off. It was really weird and I felt inappropriate for her to be interested in things like that already.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 04-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
ps.. lol as far as vampire movies go- Van helsing crosses the line for kids imo haha.. I was just watching it and ce wasn't allowed in the room.. Twilight if I could tolerate watching again/he was interested really seems harmless in comparison ^_^ and the two movies have the same rating-- so i guess it's all ap ersonal preference.
I agree with you. My son loves action movies and enjoyed the action part in both movies. Both my 3 and 4 have seen them but don't really pay that much attention to them. My son loves Iron man and Superman (all three) and there is violence and kissing and such. I think it depends on the child. My kids love cartoons as well, but sometimes a good action movie isn't that bad. We teach them that they are movies, not life.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:22 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've only seen the first one, and I would let my oldest watch it - she'll be 8 in the summer. I didn't think it was bad at all. She hasn't seen it though, as she hasn't heard of Twilight so she's never asked. It's an 11 rating over here, which means you are "allowed" to watch from 8 years old if you have your parents or an adult with you.

I think it totally depends on the kid though, Kaja doesn't scare easily, but other kids might get upset and have trouble sleeping - and then I wouldn't let them watch it. As for the romance/kissing/whatever, I don't really have a problem with that. It seems that in the US (no offence) a lot of people are really uptight about that kind of thing, whereas violence is "fine". I would be more worried about my kids seeing violence than seeing some heavy kissing and a bit of flesh

That reminds me - I really need to get around to watching New Moon
Old 04-08-2010, 03:54 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

DH went out and rented the movie since it was DD's wishlist. He was fine with with her watching it. I think its the biggest waste of time. Read the book though... so not for her yet
Old 04-08-2010, 04:29 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glumirk View Post
I wouldn't say that they are scarier than Harry Potter, but that deep of a love story seems a bit too mature of a theme for such young kids (imo). I'd probably stick to the PG-13 rating if I had the choice (granted I've got an 8 month old boy...so this won't be a problem for awhile yet). If it makes any difference, I wasn't allowed to watch Jurrassic Park when it came out (I think I was about Ashley's age), and I wasn't scarred for life, even though all of my other friends saw it.
I think Harry Potter is way scarier and all my kids have seen all of them (aged 7, 4 and 3) and love them.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:19 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

No, because I only let my kids watch well made movies.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
I struggled with this! My daughter is 9 1/2 and begged to watch it. We have a rule that you can't watch PG-13 movies until you are actually 13.
we have the same rule..and she turned 13 last May and oh my gosh we've seen so many pg-13 movies this past year to catch up haha

anyways she's seen Twilight and New Moon and loved them both

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, mine don't count because they're adults, but IMHO, I wouldn't let mine that young watch it Cindy. Mine always thought I was SO mean for not letting them watch certain things. We even fast forwarded scenes in Princess Bride when they were small because I knew it would be too intense for them. They make fun of me now for it, but I remember how sensitive they were.

I never ever went by the ratings though. There were many PG-13 movies that I still felt were inappropriate for 13....sometimes even when my son was 17 I didn't want him seeing some, but I've let them see a lot of R rated ones. I prefer some violence (when they are older) and swearing to so many sexual situations. I would almost always see the movie first, or read as many reviews on them.

You know your own kids. Watch it first and then you'll know if you feel it would be too much. It would've been for my kids at age 7....maybe not so much at 10 or 11.

Again...I never ever went by the ratings. I think they should just be rated on a scale for different things (violence, sex, language, drug use, etc...) but not give an age.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

That's why I love http://www.kids-in-mind.com/om for movie reviews

It spells out exactly what's in the film, and we can make the decisions based off that info. It often gets too nitpicky, but that's okay.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
Bwah ha ha!!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
LOL Kellie! My thought yesterday when I saw this thread was "no, because I wouldn't want to subject children to that bad of acting."
Old 04-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls are 6 and 8.5 and I would let them watch them. My oldest has asked to watch Twilight and I told her we could watch it sometime (we have them both on DVD), not sure if my younger one would be too interested but I'd be okay with her watching with us.

Growing up my parents pretty much let us watch whatever we wanted so I've been watching Rated movies for forever now so Twilight/New Moon doesn't seem like too much of a big deal to me compared to some of the movies I watched at their ages.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

No and my kids are 12, 8, 5, 2 and 6 months.

All of DD's friends (12 y/o) have read the books but I haven't let her yet. Maybe in a few years!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
That's why I love http://www.kids-in-mind.com/om for movie reviews

It spells out exactly what's in the film, and we can make the decisions based off that info. It often gets too nitpicky, but that's okay.
I've always loved Kids In Mind, I used it ALL the time when my kids were little. I just wish they had ALL movies. I haven't found another site as good.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never used kids in mind! I'll have to check that out!

I use screenit.com. It is free you just have to scroll down and say no thanks or something. I think it has ALL movies.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used screenit a lot too when my boys were younger. I just wanted to know what was actually in it.

and LOL Kellie! Yeah...I would prefer that too! They were pretty bad, but I still went and saw them! The acting is no worse than the writing of the books though...and even the poor writing didn't keep me from reading them all. I must be a sucker for punishment!