Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to suze
Default jobs where families travel together?

So a friend of ours years ago said she and her husband got this job where they left home for a few week or so and set up store inventory shelves and then they came home for a week, then left again. She didn't have a kid but her husband made enough money and the company paid for everything.. so she just traveled with him and didn't work.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has heard of legit jobs like this?? thought it might be a fantastic way for the three of us to travel around and while josh worked I could stay with Em and taught her different things while we traveled and she learned about what the world has to offer, then come home to our family and they would have a place for us. It would be amazing to just save up money and actually get to see different places at the same time.

Also I know nurses/hospital jobs ect.. have things like this, but neither of us have degrees like that. I'm a cosmetologist and hes a manager/photographer. Kinda wish sometimes I would have finished getting my nursing degree....
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

other than the military, the only ones i know of are all in fields that require extended degrees(engineering, chemistry, biomedical research)
Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to suze

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
other than the military, the only ones i know of are all in fields that require extended degrees(engineering, chemistry, biomedical research)
yep thats what I was thinking

I was thinking peace corp too, but I don't see that being a good choice for a kid that will be 1

I'm really hoping something for Josh to do that way I can stay with Emma... He's been the one staying with her during the day, I want my turn.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Being a manager... maybe getting into a company that goes out and sets ups restaurants/stores. My cousins husband used to work for Toppers Pizza and he would travel for a week and set up the restaurant. Training is another area... I have a friend who is the West Coast sales force trainer for Kimberly-Clark... he lives in California... but he travels all over the western states and hawaii, training the sales force. You really need to look for positions that are a lot of travel and traveling alone... where my hubby works, their sales team and trainers all travel in packs.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I believe because of the economy today most companies tend to do their own inventory-type work. If you are looking for flexibility in a job so that you can travel then you may want to search out jobs that allow you to work from home or remotely. I work in the technology field (and have an Associate's degree) and I work from home about 2 times a week. You may be able to find one that allows you to work while traveling. Also, the one job that came to mind when I read your post was Travel Writer. I know nothing about this field however, that type of work would definitely let you "travel". Maybe you could even start your own online business that included travel and photography-just a thought.

Good luck in your search and let me know if you find anything good. LOL

Old 08-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I read an 'RV'ing' book once by a couple with 4 kids that worked for an RV magazine testing RV's. They raised their 4 kids (in the 80's) while travelling around the country in RV's! Now that I think would be cool! What a fun way to homeschool. Today we'll be studying Thomas Jefferson and you could just drive up to Monticello!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The military definitely involves travel, though often it is the military member who gets to do all the travelling. If you can get an overseas assignment, you can definitely do some travelling, though, especially if you get sent to Europe. If the military member is an officer, you'll have more opportunity, simply because a) they get paid more and b) they are likely to move more often.

Otherwise, missionary work? If you belong to a church that sends families to other countries to do mission work, then that's a possibility.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

Hmmm, interesting! I'm not sure of any travel jobs like that but it sounds fun! I wanted to join the Peace Corp about 6 years ago when I was a single mom to Nathan who was 5...but they don't take anyone with kids, so it's now my goal to join once my kids are grown but before they give me grandkids to miss out on... ...hopefully!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I know you already mentioned you weren't interested in something that requires an advanced degree, but...it sounded like you maybe already started a nursing program? Have you ever considered going back to school and finishing it? Traveling nurses are always in high demand! I live in Maui, Hawaii and there are TONS of traveling nurses here. And a lot of the permanent positions were filled by travelers who came and ended up loving it and decided to stay! I'm a Physical Therapist and I work at Kaiser (a GREAT place to work, btw, at least in Hawaii). On Maui we have a staff of 6 PTs and 1 Occupational Therapist. This year alone we've had 2 Traveling PTs come through our clinic because we've had so much trouble hiring a PT to fill an open position (we'd take either a part-time or full-time PT). I know that there are a ton of traveling nurses at the one hospital on island and there are currently 5 traveling OTs and about 6 traveling PTs on staff at the hospital here as well. And this is a pretty small island!! (population of the entire island is only about 120,000). Traveling health care workers tend to make pretty good money - more money when you break it down per hour than a salaried employee at the same facility. Plus they usually are given some type of cost of living allowance (wish I had that here!!), a vehicle, and housing. A lot of them are single just because of the lifestyle, but I've known several travelers to come through the islands with young families - they make enough money for just one of them to work and the other to sit back and enjoy the traveling. Our last traveling PT would go somewhere, work for 3 months (most contracts are 12 weeks), then take 2 months off to just "play", then move on to her next contract, 2 months off for play, etc.

Most parts of the country have a shortage of nurses. Just something to think about if you do already have part of the schooling behind you.