Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree
Exclamation Disney with 7 kids!!!

If that doesn't scare you I don't know what will!!!!

So some of your know that I have twin nephews that live with my parents and my dad called me this weekend to chat and causally mentioned that they wanted to take the boys to Disney.

However my parents are old, not being mean they just are My dad will turn 78 in March and my mom turned 70 last September...so my dad said that him and mom wanted to take me and my family along on their dime!!!

At first I was like cool...but the more I thought about it the more I realized that basically it's going to be me and hubby with 7 kids at Disney!!! And while I'm not opposed to doing that I want to make sure that we aren't setting ourselves up for disaster!!! I don't want us to be miserable and I don't want any of the kids to be miserable either!!! I also know that ALL the planning will be left to me!!

So has anyone ever gone to Disney with that many kids (or close that that many kids...and little too...we will have four under five)??? I know there are tons of sites to help with planning trips do any of them cater to large groups?? Or even just have like a part (sub forum) that would maybe be particularity helpful??

I kind of know we want to totally skip the summer months but when is the latest we could go (March - April - May ect) and still have decent weather and when is the earliest we can go and still skip the heat (Aug - Sept -Oct ect).

I really want to make this happen...for everyone involved....but I want to make sure I don't lose my mind/sanity in the process!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We went Feb 27-March3rd last year and there was a heat wave! LOL! We had like 90 weather.

But we went 2 years ago for a quick trip and it was like 70, the same time frame. September can still be hot, and even October.

When we go again, we're either going to go in early November or late January. I'd rather have to wear pants and light jackets, than be so hot I can't stand it.

www.disboards.com have pretty much all the information you could hope for. Magical Gatherings is something I think you should google, I Think that's what they call the large parties, for dinning and stuff.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

i wouldn't count on the weather lol we had a couple 90 degree days and 50 degree nights when we were there in Dec 2011

HOW FUN is all i have to say..FIrst thing I'd have your dad give you a budget to work with

Are you planning on this year or next? or when? When does school start there? Your best deals (free dining, biggest discounts) are usually end of August-Sept since that's the slow time.

Deals come out a good big ahead of time..like right now you can save on rooms thru June

Def get a budget first then go from there

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 02-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've been in both mid-March and early-May and the weather in March was a lot nicer. Not quite as hot and humid as in May even though we did have one full day of rain in March and no rain in May. I've also been at the end of Jan and it was in the low 40s - I don't recommend that but I don't think that was normal either, haha.

I think my only suggestion is if you're wanting to do dining reservations, to make sure you choose a date far enough out that you can make your reservation window when it opens, otherwise you may have a tough time with that many people. I know it's sometimes easier if you can split your party up into multiple tables too (not sure if that would work for you guys or not).
Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Any older nieces or nephews you could bring along to help out??
Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

If you're wondering if you can do it with 7 kids, you can! I've seen lots of huge families at Disney and everyone seems happy most of the time. a definite must have will be bringing or renting 2 double strollers. I'd suggest renting one and bringing one ( it can be a pain to fold up the strollers on the train, monorail or busses). On day 2 my 6.5 year old needed a stroller at the end of the day because he was getting cranky and tired from all the walking.

Plan shorter days... Stay at a Disney resort and enjoy the resort pool in the morning before going to the parks. Then plan to leave before the kids start having meltdowns. I suggest August or September... Sure it's warm, but the Magic kingdom has a new splash park by the new Dubois ride (and that ride has an air conditioned indoor play area in the queue! They have misters and fans all over the parks. Animal Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom are the best in the hot months, lots of shady spots and indoor air conditioned lines. Hollywood Studios is unbearable in hot weather and Epcot has so much walking in the sun.

As for hotels, art of animation has family suites now. Check them out.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Dumbo not Dubois?!?!? Lol! Autocorrect cracks me up sometimes.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
Any older nieces or nephews you could bring along to help out??
Well my 3 oldest will be big helps, they are 15, 11 and 8!!! So we do have that going for us!!! And while my parents are old they really are "fit" for their age. I just know that they are going to get wore out quick!!!

Elizabeth

Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

are you going to Disneyland or Disneyworld? I am assuming Disneyworld since you are in PA But the best thing for us was that my older 2 kids could go out on their own for a few hours at a time (my oldest was 14 at the time and her brother was 7) and we rode rides with the little ones while they rode the bigger rides that the littles couldn't. She had a cell phone and we had ours and we kept in touch via texts and we made a plan that if something happened and our phones went out we always met somewhere at a certain time (like space mountain or the train station or haunted mansion)...the kids had a map and they were very good at finding their way around! Honestly if we do it again with all of them, we will probably do it the same way!

and the disboards.com is DA BOMB DIGGITY.....they have some awesome advice on pretty much any and everything Disney!

taking breaks often was also a lifesaver for us and we had to remember "you don't have to be in the park from open to close"
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
If you're wondering if you can do it with 7 kids, you can! I've seen lots of huge families at Disney and everyone seems happy most of the time. a definite must have will be bringing or renting 2 double strollers. I'd suggest renting one and bringing one ( it can be a pain to fold up the strollers on the train, monorail or busses). On day 2 my 6.5 year old needed a stroller at the end of the day because he was getting cranky and tired from all the walking.

Plan shorter days... Stay at a Disney resort and enjoy the resort pool in the morning before going to the parks. Then plan to leave before the kids start having meltdowns. I suggest August or September... Sure it's warm, but the Magic kingdom has a new splash park by the new Dubois ride (and that ride has an air conditioned indoor play area in the queue! They have misters and fans all over the parks. Animal Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom are the best in the hot months, lots of shady spots and indoor air conditioned lines. Hollywood Studios is unbearable in hot weather and Epcot has so much walking in the sun.

As for hotels, art of animation has family suites now. Check them out.
Oh yes there will be strollers!!! You mentioned double....would that be easier then 4 single umbrella like strollers??? I wasn't sure how crowded it actually gets and if we might have trouble pushing a double stroller through the crowds.....I also thought maybe we could do 2 of the sit and stand strollers....still have the narrow stroller but could still fit 2 kids in each!!!!

Elizabeth

Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I also thing the key is making sure there is a "pair" for everybody to ride with somebody else....if there is an odd # somebody ALWAYS feels left out cause they have to ride alone, and even with the "next time I'll ride with you" it never worked for my kids
Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Meg we start school in late August...but we already figured we would pull the kids out! As for when we go my dad said...soon rather then later!!! I'm thinking we might shot for Sept because we will want the meal plans and what not.....the less we need to worry about like that the better!!! And we will be able to split up the table......with 4 adults it should be easy!!!

Yes Angie Disney World.

Thank you guys for all the info and advice!!!

Elizabeth

Old 02-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
I also thing the key is making sure there is a "pair" for everybody to ride with somebody else....if there is an odd # somebody ALWAYS feels left out cause they have to ride alone, and even with the "next time I'll ride with you" it never worked for my kids
Yes I know!!! I'm thinking it's going to work out great since my 2 girls can ride together, my 8 year old and his dad and then the 4 little ones are all boys (5,4,4,3) and they will all ride together!!!

Elizabeth

Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I rented a double jogging stroller from Orlando Stroller rentals and my kids sat in them the majority of the time. We were there the week before christmas in 2010 and while it was crowded we really had no problem maneuvering a stroller.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I don't have anything to add, other than I am so jealous!

aka Chaoticlilshadow
Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

you can make dining reservations at the 180 day mark..for a party of 11 I think you have to call

Disney's website is terrible since they changed it over..I used to have a blog bookmarked for Disney tips with a big family I'll find it and PM it to you

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Disney usually offers free dining in August/Sept if you stay onsite. That might be worth it with all those kids. Definitely check out DisBoards.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Only thing I have t add is I have been told March is one of the busiest months because of spring break. I went for my birthday about 10 years ago and it was really busy (like an hour or more to ride space mountain)

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
Only thing I have t add is I have been told March is one of the busiest months because of spring break. I went for my birthday about 10 years ago and it was really busy (like an hour or more to ride space mountain)
Yeah, avoid Disney in March! It's horrendous!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yup, my family has done it several times. the last time all of us went there were 7 kids (16, 14, 13, 10, 7, 3, and 18 months). the trick is to partner and split. you and your husband split up and each of you take a grandparent, whoever has the younger kids also gets the teen. but take turns on the kid groups! my grandmother and I always got the younger kids every day, don't do that. lol it sucks after a while.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm totally paying attention to these threads now! Shane just told me last week we need to go and said we should do it fall 2014 (only because we already have another trip this year... and a baby!)! I'm excited! My kids will LOVE it!

I hope you figure it all out and make it work!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

That will be a perfect time to go Sarah while the new baby is still 2 or under (since you will still count as a family of 6) After that and your costs go up substantially since you will have to get 2 rooms or a villa with 7 people

If your kids like Nemo, Lion King, or Cars the art of animation family suites will be perfect!

Elizabeth have you looked into any rooms yet? 3 value rooms or 2 of the suites at AoA would be perfect..the 2 suites would give you and your parents each their own sleeping space since they have a bedroom that closes off from the other sleeping areas..plus a kitchenette for snack/water storage..anywhere else and you will have to go with 3 rooms unless you splurge for a grand villa that sleeps 12 (hahah $$$$) although if it's once in a lifetime trip..those treehouses sure look fun!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 02-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Unless you go at around this time of year hun you are not really going to avoid the heat at all. Already this weekend it will be above 80 here and beach weather .... and in March I know for sure everyone is almost always back to using their pools and such I would, personally avoid July and August like the plague they are so overwhelming hot and humid that I find it stifling to breathe much less walk around all day.

As for all the kids...you are used to have a larger number of kids... 5 right? So I think you will be fine with 7 honestly. You have to have Jessica and I come out and see you while you are here as well!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

See, we went in August one time and it wasn't bad at all... quick rain showers in the late afternoons kept things cooler. But I'm a Floridian, so maybe that's why it didn't seem awful? We've also been in January and had stifling humidity and heat. It's just Florida weather... There's really no getting away from the warmth & humidity & afternoon showers. I'd suggest September, only because it is slow since most kids are just back to school. The only annoying thing about September is the love bugs!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, Brook--you're just acclimated. LOL! I would have to say I totally agree:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
Unless you go at around this time of year hun you are not really going to avoid the heat at all. Already this weekend it will be above 80 here and beach weather .... and in March I know for sure everyone is almost always back to using their pools and such I would, personally avoid July and August like the plague they are so overwhelming hot and humid that I find it stifling to breathe much less walk around all day.
Like. the. plague. It's just unbearable. And standing around in lines is the last thing you want to do in the heat.

Oh, I would certainly bump that up to include September. LOL!

This year we didn't lose the humidity until mid-Oct. (and then it came back--even during Christmas!). We have been going a lot right now when the days are cool and crisp but the sun is still there--and still intense. There's just no humidity. April is generally the last time of the year that I will opt to do any outside activities, other than going to the pool. It's just too nasty out.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by webseitler View Post
Yeah, Brook--you're just acclimated. LOL! I would have to say I totally agree:

Like. the. plague. It's just unbearable. And standing around in lines is the last thing you want to do in the heat.

Oh, I would certainly bump that up to include September. LOL!

This year we didn't lose the humidity until mid-Oct. (and then it came back--even during Christmas!). We have been going a lot right now when the days are cool and crisp but the sun is still there--and still intense. There's just no humidity. April is generally the last time of the year that I will opt to do any outside activities, other than going to the pool. It's just too nasty out.
Haha... Maybe I am! Although, I will humbly admit that for the past two years we've chosen to go to the parks in February or January.... Because it is less humid and occasionally even cool out! And going in the cooler months means we can drag the kids around for a full day without so much whining. LOL! BUT and this is a big fat BUT... The pools are miserably cold for us. It's not even pleasant to go into the water rides or get wet most of the time. It's kind of fun to go when it's warmer and enjoy an ice cream cone, stand in one of the fun misters ( they have cool themed ones at each park), wear tank tops and shorts, and enjoy the awesome themed pools at the resort to cool down. But, that's me.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

lovebugs come twice a year and for some reason I notice they are realy bad at the monorail stations. Maybe they are attracted to the colors. But I would agree it is hot here all year round. Lived here since 1979 and I still cannot stand the heat in summer. We have had record highs this winter too. More then a week in the high 80's at a time. We almost always do theme parks on the weekend so it is usually busier. Talking to the people we know who work at the theme parks they said the last two months have ben unusually slow.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, it feels crowded, but we've gone to MK two weekends in a row and the longest we waited was 35 mins. for the new Under the Sea ride. It's so nice! LOL!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Nicole I have passes and still have not went. I cannot wait to see the new Fantasyland. We were talking about making it there for Valentine's Day but I dont know if that will be a bad time or not.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If you go, you can get Fasspassses for Under the Sea--but it's by the Philharmagic ride--so don't walk all the way down to the new Fantasyland and miss that. LOL! It's a bit of a walk.