Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-22-2015, 10:05 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default New laptop spec recommendations?

I'm looking for some recommendations on what I need in a new laptop. I'm using Photoshop CS6, so everything needs to run smoothly with that.

My current laptop has an i5 (2nd gen) processor, so I was looking at another i5, but it seems hard to get that in combination with decent ram and hard drive space. There seems to be a lot of AMD processors in laptops I've looked at.

I've only ever had Intel processors. Does anyone have any experience of AMD with Photoshop? What would you look for in a laptop used mainly for scrapping? I know I'll have to compromise on something as I'm trying to keep the cost down, so any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've only used Intel processors, too. I got a new laptop last month, and I had the same experience of not being able to find an i5 with the other features I wanted. I miss the way it was a few years ago, when companies like Dell let you configure some of the options and then built it for you! I ended up going with an i7 and compromising on screen size and resolution. If you haven't already, try Googling for it; I bet someone has written about AMD processors and CS6.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Rachel. I wish I could still customize a laptop like you used to be able to! I have tried googling comparisons between Intel and AMD but it's all so detailed, but doesn't really go into what the actual end user experience would be like. I'll probably just stick with the Intel!
Old 08-25-2015, 12:34 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure if you're looking at long term savings or savings on the initial investment, but we got a MacBook with the solid state Hard drive - I've had it and have been working almost exclusively on it for almost 8 months now and photoshop still starts up in under 8 seconds flat. I never have an issue running PS, AI, and ID at the same time, along with multiple browser windows, mail program, etc.

If you have the extra money to plunk down on an initial investment, I'd go with a MacBook, I'm no good with PC recommendations though!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Also you may be able to price match - I got a $1200NZD laptop just before Christmas but pricematched and got it for just over $800NZD

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020X using Tapatalk

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 08-25-2015, 11:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988

I have had a laptop with the AMD and I despise it! I had to get a new one with Intel as that is what I had always had / used! AMD does not compare in the least bit to Intel! I would not recommend the AMD! Worst purchase I ever made! The AMD laptop works much more SLOWER than my Intel one

Old 08-26-2015, 06:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

8 seconds? Wow, I need to update my Macbook now...even starting up the computer takes a few minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
I'm not sure if you're looking at long term savings or savings on the initial investment, but we got a MacBook with the solid state Hard drive - I've had it and have been working almost exclusively on it for almost 8 months now and photoshop still starts up in under 8 seconds flat. I never have an issue running PS, AI, and ID at the same time, along with multiple browser windows, mail program, etc.

If you have the extra money to plunk down on an initial investment, I'd go with a MacBook, I'm no good with PC recommendations though!
Old 08-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post

I agree with Traci about the Solid State Drive. I have a Windows laptop with an SSD, and PS fires up for me in under 10 seconds, as well (after having it for 14 months).

Can't help you on the AMD processors though. This is what I have:

It's an ASUS Republic of Gamers model.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies. Traci, I'd love a Mac, and always say I'm going to save for one, but always end up spending the money on something else! And I really wasn't expecting the laptop to go, so for now I'll be sticking with Windows.

Thanks for the feedback about the AMD processor Jennifer, good to hear from someone who has experience of one.

Libby - 24gb of ram! Wow, I'm jealous . Best I can get around here without breaking the bank is 8gb. But hopefully I can upgrade that later when I need to.

I think I've found a nice laptop with an i7 and a ssd, so going to research it a bit now, and hopefully order tonight
Old 08-27-2015, 10:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy257 View Post
I think I've found a nice laptop with an i7 and a ssd, so going to research it a bit now, and hopefully order tonight
Yay--enjoy! I didn't get a SSD, but upgrading to one is on my wish list. I unexpectedly got a nice Best Buy gift card as a bonus when I switched cell phone carriers this week, so some of it is going to go toward that. I feel silly doing it right away since I've only had my laptop for a month, but maybe around the end of the year.