Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default How to start over with scrapbooking??? Ideas?

Software related as well as going back to scrap the past or picking up now and just going forward. It had been awhile since I could scrap, then I finally had time again and my laptop dies. Fast forward to now- got PSE10 (was using PSE5!) and just installed it on the hubby's laptop. In addition to learning the new software changes, I have a bigger problem.

All my photos, kits, shadows, styles, fonts, etc. are ALL on the old laptop. So I suppose I could use discs to move stuff as needed to the new laptop (the old one will work just SLOW so I could get stuff off of it)

I have Backblaze so I could transfer stuff over, but don't want to bog down his computer either- so maybe little by little there too?

Anyone got tips for an easy transition?

I really NEED to get back to scrapping- I have albums I love from 2008-2010 and the kids love going back through them, yet no real albums before or after. Think I'll start small- maybe some QP albums for baby books to just get them done and then maybe a year in highlights from when they were younger. Then pick back up where we are now. Stop worrying about perfection or not being "good enough" and just get to it!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Do you have an EHD at all? Because it would probably be fastest to dump the files on there and then connect it to the computer.

As far as scrapbooking, I would just start with something that you're feeling inspired by - a story, photo, kit, etc, and just have fun. Once you're more in the swing of things again you can worry about having a plan.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No EHD- Got just photos and a few kits I'm zipping through Backblaze now at least to get me started. Of course I have to wait for them to email me that it's done.

Hoping I can get back into the swing and soon! I missed it so much

Old 07-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd get an EHD and just put everything on there. All my stuff is just kept on EHD's in order to keep the computer running faster.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome back! Do you have a flash drive or can you use a blank memory card from your camera? It wouldn't be as efficient as an EHD, but it would be faster than disks or Backblaze.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Stephanie-

I am just coming back too from a similar long hiatus... I have all of my stuff on two external hard drives, one is a 320 GB that I keep all my current kits, styles, fonts, actions etc on, and then I have all of the zip files to match a big 2 TB drive. That is where I store most of my pictures as well. I have duplicate copies of my layouts on both drives.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Backblaze only keeps files for 30 days once they are removed/lost from your computer so if you don't have access to the hard drive the stuff was on originally you might want to go ahead and download it all

I say start scrapping now but go back and scrap the past here or there til you catch up

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also have all my go to stuff on an ehd instead of on my laptop and scrap with this. I tend to scrap pictures that inspire me or else I probably would never get a page done if I did them in order. LOL I have tons of gaps but enough layouts to at least give the girls some books when they get older.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

Everything I got before I got the laptop is on my EHD. I need to transfer some of my more recent kits over. I've done my backup, but I've noticed my laptop getting a little slower as I add more to my files.

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 07-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes- I probably need to invest in an EHD- I had one longer ago but it crapped out (at least I think- can't remember!)

Anyone done EHD backups to backblaze? I like the idea of storing pics and digiscrap stuff on an EHD and NOT on the laptop but obviously would want that backed-up too.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

what about a thumb drive? I actually went thru a lot of my old stuff when I was switching computers and didn't keep a lot of the old stuff. I found it easier to dive in and buy a few new things and do a couple challenges to get back into the scrapbooking groove.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Once you get the EHD thing figured out then I'd say start with what inspires you and scrap that first to get yourself going. Then if you want to challenge yourself to finish a small project, brag book or a something quick to get caught up you could do that as you stay current. I think it's a lot easier to stay somewhat current and work with the kit you just got or that is calling your name than it is to try to go back and document the past.

Good luck! Glad to have you back!
Old 07-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I so need to get back to the groove too. Mine wasn't a software/hardware related hiatus but I miss creating Good luck! I use an ehd for all my pics and kits sadly my computer is 6 years old and I'm sure not the fasts tool in the shed