Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ferretlover17
Default Question about uploading to the Gallery

I Just can not get my pictures uploaded..
I know that they are supposed to be 150 kb but in photoshop I can not find any KB it only goes by percent, pixels, etc..
I'm having trouble resizing so they will upload.
I was curious if someone can tell me how to save the pages so that I can upload them.. they are always too big or really tiny thumbnails.
Thanks a ton!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

try under save for web, there I can see the file size. What version of photoshop are you using?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use the Save for Web feature and resize to 600 x 600 in there and then slide the quality down until I'm just under 150 and save and upload!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I resize to 600 x 600, then go to save for web. where i circled, it says quality, you lower that number until your kb (where the arrow is pointing) gets just under 150 kb.

eta - lol, oops, I was doing up my fancy little pic there while you girls were posting!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriesmom View Post
I use the Save for Web feature and resize to 600 x 600 in there and then slide the quality down until I'm just under 150 and save and upload!
yep...this is what I do too!!! I also flatten my image before resizing but I am not sure that is necessary
Old 03-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I posted another way the other day as well you can just resize and use the optimize to filesize feature under save for web
[IMG][/IMG]

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 03-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

yeah i make sure mine is flattened first and i usually sharpen it a tad before saving

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 03-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
yep...this is what I do too!!! I also flatten my image before resizing but I am not sure that is necessary
Flattening and sharpening is something I do too. If you save without flattening first your shadows can come out all funky looking! I love that file optimize trick!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So I have NEVER flattened an image yet before saving for web. In fact, I don't even flatten before I create my .jpg files that I print out!

Do you guys really think it makes a difference? I think everything has always come out just great!

Flatten is such a drastic move... all my layers - GONE! I just can't mentally hurdle that one

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rbeckie View Post
So I have NEVER flattened an image yet before saving for web. In fact, I don't even flatten before I create my .jpg files that I print out!

Do you guys really think it makes a difference? I think everything has always come out just great!

Flatten is such a drastic move... all my layers - GONE! I just can't mentally hurdle that one
It sometimes makes shadows go wonky.. I have an action that dups the file, flattens, resizes and sharpens. Then I just close the dup and my original is still in layers.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know, Beckie, flattening scares me, because I sometimes want to go back and change stuff right before I print, or will find a typo or something I want to fix. I started saving my layout 3 ways. I'll save a psd file with all the layers, then I'll flatten and save my full size jpg for printing, then I'll shrink that and resave for posting on the web. It takes up extra space, having each lo saved 3 times, but this way, if i notice a typo before I print, I can just open up the psd file, change what I need, resave layers, then flatten and replace my full size jpg with the new one. lol, does that make sense?

So, I guess if it works for you, you don't HAVE to flatten, I just noticed that my shadows changed if I didn't, and this way I can still have my layered psd just in case.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Brie, you should really save your layered files as TIFF's. It saves a TON of space, and you lose ZERO quality. Just thought I'd mention.

I save my layered files (even though I have NEVER gone back to change something down the road), so flattening isn't a big deal to me.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
Brie, you should really save your layered files as TIFF's. It saves a TON of space, and you lose ZERO quality. Just thought I'd mention.
I've heard that before, that it was better to save as a tiff.... but changing things scare me... LOL, I never knew why it was better. I can still have all my layers and stuff if I change it to tiff? I won't have any problems flattening, then saving for jpg? sry for all the questions, I'm clueless! When do you save as a tiff, the first time you save your layers? As soon as I add the first element, or photo, I make my first psd file save, then I save every few minutes as I'm setting up the lo. Should I make that first save the one to change it to tiff, or wait until I'm done and save as tiff and delete the psd save? Does that make sense??
Old 03-22-2010, 03:08 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ferretlover17

Thanks girls for all the help!!!
I will try it.. I do always Flatten first
I use adobe Ps CS4 I never noticed a save for web button.. LOL
Thanks again for all the replys and help!!!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yes, what is this save as .tiff thing of which you speak?

I'm like you Brie - changing things scares me!! I print all of my LOs in batches and I'd hate to find out 30 LOs from now that I screwed something up!

I might need to change up what I'm doing though, as my computer is getting FULL...I think I need to just delete a bunch of older photos (they're already backed up). I just like knowing that everything I could possibly want is at my fingertips!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Sorry, only just now seeing all the questions about tiff.

There is ZERO difference in the quality of a tiff vs a psd. They are both layered files, you create and work and edit in the exact same way as a psd. The only difference is the ridiculous amount of space you will save by going tiff vs psd, and your LO's will say .tiff at the end instead

Here's a link to a thread where it was discussed. I link up to an article explaining that it's a lossless conversion, and I posted the settings for saving as a tiff.

All my templates have been converted to tiff, and now I only work with tiff files.

PS~Beckie, get yourself an EHD! I have a large HD on my laptop, but I keep all my scrap supplies, and all my photos on my EHD's (I have 3, lol.) to keep the HD clean and things running smooth.

Last edited by ColleenSwerb; 03-22-2010 at 09:21 AM.