Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default project 365?

So...Did anyone follow through and actually do the Project 365?

I think I want to do one this year (next year)...and I'm trying to do what I can now to "be prepared", LOL!

i was thinking of doing a photo-a-day for the entire month of December, to try the concept out for size.

Any tips/suggestions?

Who started but didn't keep up - and why??

thanks!!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Tracy has done a fab job at keeping up her 365, and Jennifer Layden has done it in a P52 version in layouts.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I just can't do a p365. I've tried 2 years in a row now and failed miserably. I'm a camera snob and I hate not being able to use my DSLR to take teh pictures, but I don't bring it to work everyday. My point and shoot stinks, and then I get frustrated cuz it's dark out when we get home, and I get tired of taking 849032 pictures of Tiger, and I give up.

This year I'm working on a project 52 of the first year of our marriage. Every month on the 11th we take a picture together too. Hopefully I'll get them turned into layouts, but considering I haven't edited any of our honeymoon pictures yet, I'm not that optimistic, lol. Jordan is at least on board with my 1 picture a month rule, so I'll at least have that.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I think I quit about 4 months in. It was just too much to figure out what to take a picture of every day and I was taking pictures of things just to get a picture done and it wasn't working. I'm CONSIDERING doing a monthly thing of my kids beginning on each birthday. Haven't decided for sure yet.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

I too am thinking about doing 365 this coming year. Hopefully I have the power to do it.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I haven't missed a day, and I'm current for pages. The thing that's kept me with it is that I allow myself to use whatever camera is available...meaning, sometimes my photo is just the less than perfect one on my phone. I chose a template and have stuck to that for creating my pages for my book. I have actually really loved doing it. I now have little snippets of my life recorded that I never would have done a full LO about, and just having some random picture wouldn't have made since. I will absolutely be doing it in 2010!

Old 11-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started but quit. Why? B/C It got to where it was a chore. Running around at 11:50 pm trying to figure out what in the world to take a picture of! That's not what photography is about for me. It's about capturing the memories. Well, a lot of days around here, nothing special or exciting happens. So, it's pointless to capture the memory of my grocery shopping trip. (Yes, I did that one day. lol) But, then again, I don't have kids yet. Maybe once I do & have more of an exciting life, I'll try again. lol
Old 11-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I did about 3 months too. I think I just got bored, I had decided beforehand that I would take pictures of the kids most days, but by the time I got home from work it was late, and there are limits to how many pics of the kids having their dinner you need. I'm thinking about trying again this year, but I'll probably fail miserably again. I did read somewhere about someone who picked a technique each month, and then practiced that technique every day for that month - which seemed like a pretty good idea.

I'll see how many pics I manage to take for my December Daily album, and then decide I think.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm still plugging away at it... For me... taking the photo was the easy part. There is always something to take a photo of even if its boring like the garbage truck... but hey, how many years will be have garbage pick up at the curb and what will the truck looks like in the future... my biggest problem is scrapping... I have the templates I'm using, but just not motivated to scrap them since the photos a day made me more aware of everyday things I wanted to scrap and have more photos that I know what to do with!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I've stuck with it and I definitely want to do it again next year.

Some things I want to change about how I scrap them next year...clean layouts!!!!
I love how Jennifer (Jennilyn) has made her layouts so clean. I've tried to do the same color scheme and change it up, but it's hard. I think I want to stick to 4 or 5 template designs that I can change up throughout the year and really focus on the journalling.

Photowise...yes I have some blurry pics, boring pics, repeated subjects, but really it's how our life has been. Some days were quiet. I tried really hard not to put my son in every pic too, but he's in a majority of them. LOL!

I've also been pretty good about doing the layout for the previous week before the next week ends so that the task isn't so daunting to finish them. As soon as a I get a LO done, I go ahead and upload it to Shutterfly. When Jan 1st rolls around I should be able to do one last LO, upload and have that sucker printed. I can't wait!!!

If you don't think you can do a pic everyday, try monthly. I really think this is something great to look back on in the years to come.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I tried but wasn't successful.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I'm still going. This is my second year doing it. It's a litttle harder this time around because I have no theme for inspiration. I've scrapped a couple dozen of the photos but I'd never planned to scrap all of them to begin with because that would be too stressful for me. I turned last year's photos into a really nice photo book with Blurb. I'm debating whether to just do another one this year with the layouts added in or if I want to put them in weekly templates to get more of a scrapbook look. I've got some of them in templates but I'm not loving the look so it'll probably be a photobook again this year.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm doing a P365: Deployment Edition , so I just started my journey back on June 7th. So I am just over the 5 month mark and I have to say that I am absolutely LOVING this project! It's so incredibly cool to see all these little snapshots of life come together to really tell the big picture. I think it might actually be one of my favorite scrapbooking projects I've done.

I'm not going to lie, I am WAY behind on my layouts but that is only because I didn't start putting them together until the end of October. I just couldn't get a clear picture of what I wanted to do and then I started seeing Kayleigh's P365 layouts in the gallery at MSA and they completely inspired me. I haven't uploaded any of my layouts yet but here's what they look like:

The size of the photos change and I'm using a different kit for each month (or every 4 layouts) but the overall design is the same. I knew I wanted to keep them simple or else I'd never be able to keep up.

A couple of tips I have (some of which are changes I'm making):

Make a plan of attack for you photos: I'm trying to get into a rhythm of uploading, sorting and editing so that I don't end up with a ton of photos to deal with at once. I'm not crazy enough to think I would ever be able to upload a photo each day but I do recommend trying to deal with them either weekly or for sure monthly. I also set up Smart Categories in Lightroom which has helped out a ton since it does all of the sorting by week and day for me.

Take filler photos: The story the photos tell as a whole is way more important to me than whether I take a photo every single day, so I'm not terribly concerned if I miss a day (or even several days). When I do take photos, I tend to take a bunch and if I know I've missed days, I will take extra photos that represent what I've done those previous days. I also take some shots that I know could fit in to pretty much any day in case I need an extra shot. The reality is that no one but me will know and a month from now I'm probably not even going to remember that that photo was actually from the 17th and not the 18th.

The best camera is the one that's with you: I'm really trying hard to embrace imperfection with this project. My DH took our good P&S with him so when I'm out I've been using my iPhone a lot. I also take a lot of screenshots on my computer that represent various things I've done as well. I'm also trying to embrace using my remote for camera so I can get more photos of me rather than just stuff.

Last edited by Nettio; 11-19-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've kept it up this year, mostly because of the addition of Ella to our family. . I think it gets easier as time goes on because you get into a groove, but I've had bad days too. There's an article in the newest Simply Sweet that I wrote about doing a Baby Project 365 - lots of those tips are pretty general too. Good luck!
Old 11-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

::sigh:: I love the way you scrap Lynnette. LOL!

Those are really great tips too. Maybe I'll try again and work on documenting the rest of our first year of marriage, and just try and be more relaxed with it. I was going to work on taking pics everyday starting with Thanksgiving for December Daily....no reason I couldn't just take 2 or 3 a day to include in a 365.....

I've had LR2 for almost a year, and I still have not employed all it's glorious organizational uses.

Last edited by ColleenSwerb; 11-19-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
Tracy has done a fab job at keeping up her 365, and Jennifer Layden has done it in a P52 version in layouts.
Umm...I'm not doing P52, I'm doing P365...a picture every day then making a layout at the end of the week, just like Tracy.

You might want to watch out for DAM next month
Old 11-19-2009, 09:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I'm doing a P365: Deployment Edition , so I just started my journey back on June 7th. So I am just over the 5 month mark and I have to say that I am absolutely LOVING this project! It's so incredibly cool to see all these little snapshots of life come together to really tell the big picture. I think it might actually be one of my favorite scrapbooking projects I've done.

I'm not going to lie, I am WAY behind on my layouts but that is only because I didn't start putting them together until the end of October. I just couldn't get a clear picture of what I wanted to do and then I started seeing Kayleigh's P365 layouts in the gallery at MSA and they completely inspired me. I haven't uploaded any of my layouts yet but here's what they look like:

The size of the photos change and I'm using a different kit for each month (or every 4 layouts) but the overall design is the same. I knew I wanted to keep them simple or else I'd never be able to keep up.

A couple of tips I have (some of which are changes I'm making):

Make a plan of attack for you photos: I'm trying to get into a rhythm of uploading, sorting and editing so that I don't end up with a ton of photos to deal with at once. I'm not crazy enough to think I would ever be able to upload a photo each day but I do recommend trying to deal with them either weekly or for sure monthly. I also set up Smart Categories in Lightroom which has helped out a ton since it does all of the sorting by week and day for me.

Take filler photos: The story the photos tell as a whole is way more important to me than whether I take a photo every single day, so I'm not terribly concerned if I miss a day (or even several days). When I do take photos, I tend to take a bunch and if I know I've missed days, I will take extra photos that represent what I've done those previous days. I also take some shots that I know could fit in to pretty much any day in case I need an extra shot. The reality is that no one but me will know and a month from now I'm probably not even going to remember that that photo was actually from the 17th and not the 18th.

The best camera is the one that's with you: I'm really trying hard to embrace imperfection with this project. My DH took our good P&S with him so when I'm out I've been using my iPhone a lot. I also take a lot of screenshots on my computer that represent various things I've done as well. I'm also trying to embrace using my remote for camera so I can get more photos of me rather than just stuff.
*sigh* I love this... now I want to redo what I've done so far this year... ha, ha!! Guess I'll have to continue 365 next year and this will be my inspiration page. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm doing 365 and loving it. You can see my 365 blog HERE (just layouts, not daily photos).I'm another one who thinks this is probably the best project I've done, and intend to do it again next year too.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I'm doing 365 and loving it. You can see my 365 blog HERE (just layouts, not daily photos).I'm another one who thinks this is probably the best project I've done, and intend to do it again next year too.
Love how you do a 2 page matching spread for two week periods. I may have to try that next year.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
::sigh:: I love the way you scrap Lynnette. LOL!
Thanks Col!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You know I started...then got tired of getting behind on my processing/organizing of the photos and started to get busy with real life and gave up. But now looking back...I love those photos I took those first few months. Really it is cool to see little snippets of our "boring" days that are gone now.

I love the idea of the repeated LO like Lynette did and also I've been inspired by Nikki's Month In Review' LOs for the challenges here, so I may give it a go again this year. I think for me I need to keep a little journal/sentence or two on my calendar about what we were doing that day, because sometimes I didn't have an exact picture of what we did that day, but I had a cool "everyday" shot. So that would make the journaling easier.

But yeah...how to make it not a chore with the craziness of life. Maybe we can give ourselves a couple of "pass" days each month to relieve some of the pressure.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow everyone, thanks for all the info and suggestions!!

I love, love, love the simple design of the LOs Lynnette (and Kayleigh) used. That's actually how I used to scrap when I was a paper scrapper...

Lynnette and Jacinda both use the same products for multiple weeks - which would definitely be one way to tie the weeks together more.

Does anyone do a calendar page in there also? like a month at a glance? or would that be overkill since each week is called out in detail? (actually, when I was feeling overwhelmed at the thought of a p365, I thought I'd just to a calendar page for each month with activities listed out)...

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 11-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
But yeah...how to make it not a chore with the craziness of life.
That's the question...

Maybe positive motivation would work - give ourselves a treat when we are finished w/ the entire month (like buy one extra kit or so ). And a BIG treat when we are through the whole year.

I love that idea of picking a photography technique and practicing it for the certain month. I think this project should also help improve photography skills and this would be great.

I also love the idea of using one kit or template for a few weeks, like for one month. And the simple templates.

I'd like to try the project next year.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yeah, it became a chore for me too... pretty fast! I take enough pictures anyway! It's a cool idea, but, doesn't work for me!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just use a QP set by Genevieve Sass and because it has a white background with no texture, I can move the pieces around to fit the size of the photos for the week. Her set also has a Shutterfly cover & spine already made so making the cover will be easy when I do my book.