Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb
Default Mozy sale

In light of Tara's post, I was reminded of this and wanted to pass it along. If you've been thinking of using Mozy, here's a great deal!

http://www.simplescrapper.com/2009/1...imple+scrapper)
Old 11-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sooooooooooooo disappointed with Mozy...if you have a ton to upload (like 500 GB or more)...it will take you MONTHS at 24/7 with a cable modem to get it uploaded. I gave up in May after trying for months to keep a connection with Mozy...frustrating as all get out...plus I have to leave the computer up and running at full speed upload...

I'm going to try again...but I won't hook it up to the computer in front room...because the computer "glows" and people walking/driving by can tell their is a computer on and running. Boys complained of it messing with their online gaming...
Old 11-25-2009, 03:18 PM

profile gallery send pm

Tons of people use it with great success, it's still a great option for people to look into, especially with a good sale going on.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

It took me 4 hours to back up 79 gb.. so I would look into possibly that your connection is the problem, Sharon?

My initial backup of 150 gb took around a week.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a question- you just leave your laptop running all week while you load? I REALLY need to do this with Mozy or Carbonite before disaster strikes again (you'd think I'd have learned from the first time!)

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 11-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
It took me 4 hours to back up 79 gb.. so I would look into possibly that your connection is the problem, Sharon?

My initial backup of 150 gb took around a week.
I have about 750 GB ... cable company has checked the connection ... for some reason Mozy keeps disconnecting and won't RETRY ... talked to Mozy via e-mail and never got it resolved.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:43 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

at first my backup was taking f.o.r.e.v.e.r. but I then found out that my upload speed was super slow since I had the lowest DSL speed available. I upgraded to a faster speed (not for Mozy, but for my own sanity!) and my backup of 364.8 GB was done in 2-3 weeks. Now it runs every day and just is on for an hour or so.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:55 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by schock77 View Post
I have a question- you just leave your laptop running all week while you load? I REALLY need to do this with Mozy or Carbonite before disaster strikes again (you'd think I'd have learned from the first time!)
I bet if you did it overnight on consecutive days it would go pretty fast. That's what I do when I have a bunch of layouts or pictures to upload to something like Shutterfly.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:57 PM

profile gallery send pm

if anyone needs to check their internet speed, try http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ pay attention to the upload speed because that is what you need to use to upload to mozy.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I'm another one that found Mozy too frustrating and slow. It bogged my computer down really bad while it was running and after 3 months, I gave up. I tried Carbonite after that and have been with them two years now and haven't had any problems.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have used Mozy for awhile and love it. The initial backup of about 600gigs of stuff took a LONG time, but now it only takes a little while each day to backup - so convenient!

Before I signed up for Mozy I did look into Carbonite, but it's not (or at least it wasn't at that time) Mac-compatible.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:46 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I liked Mozy at first but I had a similar problem to Sharon. It just stopped uploading and tech support wasn't helpful. I switched to Backblaze. I'll cancel Mozy after I get all backed up on Backblaze. And I'm crossing my fingers that Backblaze won't tank on me!

But if you can get it to run with your system, it is really great! It worked perfectly for almost 6 months but I think it conflicts with something on my system. It would be worth a try if it's a great deal!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Kay View Post
I have about 750 GB ... cable company has checked the connection ... for some reason Mozy keeps disconnecting and won't RETRY ... talked to Mozy via e-mail and never got it resolved.
Do you by any chance have Comcast?

I've used Mozy for awhile with no problems, but since September I've had terrible problems getting it to upload. It just runs and runs and never does anything. It's incredibly frustrating because my last successful backup was now 118 days ago.

I've been in touch with the Mozy tech support and once I escalated it to the point where I got an actual English speaking person who actually read my emails, they've been incredibly helpful. We still haven't managed to solve the problem though and I'm really starting to think it's a problem with Comcast. Possibly some kind of bandwidth throttling or something?

I don't know, it's rather disappointing because it's pretty much become a completely unreliable backup method.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:29 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Lynette, does it back up partially and then the green bars stop moving? On mine it says 0.0bps transfer or something like that.

They told me it was a Windows problem and to contact Microsoft. DH works for MS and went into the system diagnostics and it is Mozy causing the problem. He even sent them the error report that proved it! It was messing up the Volume Shadow Copy Service. So I would be cautious about allowing them to write it off as a comcast problem. I don't have comcast and my problem started around Sept. too! They told me to install an earlier build of Mozy. I thought that was stupid solution. I'm paying for the service, I should have the updated features! So I've given up on them.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
Do you by any chance have Comcast?

I've used Mozy for awhile with no problems, but since September I've had terrible problems getting it to upload. It just runs and runs and never does anything. It's incredibly frustrating because my last successful backup was now 118 days ago.

I've been in touch with the Mozy tech support and once I escalated it to the point where I got an actual English speaking person who actually read my emails, they've been incredibly helpful. We still haven't managed to solve the problem though and I'm really starting to think it's a problem with Comcast. Possibly some kind of bandwidth throttling or something?

I don't know, it's rather disappointing because it's pretty much become a completely unreliable backup method.
I have Everest which is now owned by Surewest.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannylynn View Post
Lynette, does it back up partially and then the green bars stop moving? On mine it says 0.0bps transfer or something like that.

They told me it was a Windows problem and to contact Microsoft. DH works for MS and went into the system diagnostics and it is Mozy causing the problem. He even sent them the error report that proved it! It was messing up the Volume Shadow Copy Service. So I would be cautious about allowing them to write it off as a comcast problem. I don't have comcast and my problem started around Sept. too! They told me to install an earlier build of Mozy. I thought that was stupid solution. I'm paying for the service, I should have the updated features! So I've given up on them.
Oh bummer....your dh couldn't fix it either? oh groan! I paid for a year's service...
Old 11-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That is a great deal!

For those that have problems with Mozy (I did) take a look at Backblaze. It worked for me and was fast!
Old 11-26-2009, 03:10 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We've been using Mozy for several months now and we love it!!
Old 11-26-2009, 03:28 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Well since Colleen posted my link, its safe to say I'm a Mozy fan. I agree its not a perfect solution - but I've yet to find another solution that is more perfect for backing up a laptop AND an EHD.

I have to set it to throttle at a very low speed when the kids are on XBox live, but during any other time, I have it set to take all the bandwidth it wants.. and its super fast. I've got ~120GB backed up.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:35 AM

profile gallery send pm

If you are interested and don't know if Mozy will work for you, they do have a free 2GB backup. Here is the link on the middle of the left side - http://mozy.com/home
Old 11-26-2009, 04:04 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannylynn View Post

Yes! This is exactly the problem I have. It will only backup maybe less than one percent and the transfer rates are almost always zero. The backup itself will run all day or night doing nothing as far as I can tell. Like today it ran for 8 and a half hours and barely backed up 87.4 MB. I'm also getting a variety of error messages - connection errors, servers errors, etc. It seems like every time the error message is different too.

I'm on a Mac so I know it's not a Windows issue. The Mozy people kept telling me there was an update coming that would solve my issues but as far as I can tell it hasn't made any difference. The most frustrating part is that it worked great for over a year and then just all of a sudden completely crapped out. I have almost 200GB backed up so the idea of having to start over doesn't really excite me either.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:52 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
The most frustrating part is that it worked great for over a year and then just all of a sudden completely crapped out. I have almost 200GB backed up so the idea of having to start over doesn't really excite me either.
Exactly my story. They made it sound like I was the only one in the world that had that issue. I hope they figure it out for you.

I'm currently paying for both Backblaze and Mozy because MOST of my stuff is backed up to Mozy (there's about 50 gigs that hasn't backed up since Sept. and it is now on Backblaze, I can sleep again!). When Backblaze finishes, I'm going to cancel Mozy.

Sorry, Colleen. We hijacked your thread.

It doesn't sound like it does this for everyone. The rest of us are just special. So give it a try if you aren't backing up!!!