Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner
Default Has anyone had success with Carbonite?

Last year I kept Mozy for months and it never did backup completely or work properly...but I was only paying by month so it was no huge loss. I want to use Carbonite perhaps but I'd have to pay for a whole year so I'm leery of it not working after dropping $50. Anyone?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Is Carbonite able to backup EHD's? I thought that it couldn't, and that's why so many people went with Mozy over Carbonite.

I could be wrong though. Jordan refuses to pay for online backup, so I have 3 EHD's instead, lol.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I've used Carbonite for the past 2 years and really like it. I had the same problem you did with Mozy. I never did get a full back up and it really bogged my computer down when it was backing up. Carbonite has been great for me. I don't have any need for it to back up EHDs, which seems to be the main complaint about them.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yes, I don't use an EHD so I don't need it for that. I am currently not backed up to current, so I'm living dangerously. I need a solution soon!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I had Carbonite service for 2 years and it was easy to use, and it backs up continuously (so you create a new file, it backs it up). I never had to use it for a full back up, but had to retrieve a files a few times, and it was easy peasy. I am only switched (to BackBlaze) because a lot of my stuff is on my EHD now, and I need it all backed up.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

do you know about how long the initial backup takes? I think i only have about 100 mb.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm in love with Carbonite! We've had quite a few computer problems, and quite a few scares. Through the whole process of sending it in to be fixed (in which it was wiped, of course), trying three different motherboards, getting a new computer all together, and the random blue screen of death we were getting just before Christmas, I have never been worried and have been so grateful for Carbonite! I think our initial backup took a month, but we had slow internet back then, and we have a lot of stuff on our harddrive! When we had to do the full restore I think it only took about a week once we had it running correctly (for some reason we were having issues, but after chatting with customer service we were able to get the ball rolling). Now, if you are crazy about checking the percentages about how much is backed up and how much is restored, they aren't accurate. However you can check the progress in other ways.

I love carbonite!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I think it only took me 2 weeks, I have a lot of stuff and high speed cable internet.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to juliemarie

I've used both. Carbonite was faster, but one of their upgrades made my computer go crazy, it was making my hard drive or fan make a loud whizzing noise. If I turned carbonite off it stopped. So then I tried Mozy, which was really slow at backing up and the internet wouldn't work very well with it going.

I decided to give up on the online backup, and I'm now using a Western Digital 1 TB Drive that hooks up to my network and automatically backs stuff up. So far so good

Old 01-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've really been thinking about using one of these services (we've lost photos twice in hard drive crashes which is way scary). I now back everything up to dvds but I know they can fail. Does anyone know if you can use these to just manually copy things over. Since I don't have an EHD I have limited space but would love to be able to save digikits without going through a gazillion DVDs before deleting from my HD. Anyone know if that's possible with these services?
Old 01-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I currently have Mozy but am seriously considering switching to BackBlaze. I haven't had any real problems with Mozy lately but I think Mozy is slowing my PC down and I've heard only good things about BackBlaze so far. The only thing I'm leary of is canceling with one and then not being fully backed up for several weeks until the new backup is complete. I have a TON of stuff on my HD and EHD so I know that initial backup is going to take awhile!
Old 01-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have Carbonite, and have never had to reboot from them, so can't comment on that end yet (nor do I want to!) - initial backup to them was around 100MB and took maybe 24hrs. Been happy, no noticeable resource drag.

i've reached the point of needing an EHD now, though - so am hoping that Carbonite now will branch out to this . . . so it looks like i'll be spending some research time here again . . .