Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-03-2018, 11:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default What is the secret?

My brain cannot think in terms of pocket pages. I've been working on this pocket page for Bingo # 22 all day and I've trashed more pages than I care to admit. I'm using a template but I just can't make it look right (if that makes sense). I tossed that template. Tried another pocket template. Tossed that one---get what I'm doing? Tossing more than scrapping!

So what's the secret? Am I missing something? What's the trick to making it look right, yet be all pocket-y/square?
I have a lot of the pocket posts on the blog opened, studying them (I sound so nerdy!).

Uugh. I don't want to cheat, but I think I'm going to have to find a pocket page that uses a kit that I own and scraplift it verbatim because I don't know what I'm doing! Why is this so hard?!

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 01-03-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Did you watch SugarBabe Krista scrap her pocket page on our FB page? I'll go grab a link.

https://www.facebook.com/SweetShoppe...5896211539330/

Old 01-04-2018, 12:35 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Krista makes it look SO easy!!

I think I might have finished my pocket page. It's driving me batty, but it's in pocket-format. Might not be my best layout. But I know I struggle so much with pocket/blocked pages. I just can't think when things are blocked. I always second guess myself going outside of those straight lines---like is it allowed? Does it look right?! I"m a mess when it comes to pocket. They are my kryptonite

Thank you for the video. I'm watching it the second time around to see what else I can learn/do from her video.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:40 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Wendy, maybe you're just thinking too much.
The first time I did it, I was like you too. At the end, I thought "screw it. I'll just save it as is." From then on, the next pocket page I make looks better and better. I think it's more about improvement onwards & enjoy making it.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:47 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
Wendy, maybe you're just thinking too much.
The first time I did it, I was like you too. At the end, I thought "screw it. I'll just save it as is." From then on, the next pocket page I make looks better and better. I think it's more about improvement onwards & enjoy making it.
I know that's the problem. I overthink every layout and analyze it before I call it finished. I am my biggest critic! I hope it comes easier with time. I probably did less than five pocket pages last year and I don't think any of them made it to the print folder!!!
Old 01-04-2018, 09:49 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I tried to leave love in the gallery but it keeps telling me I haven’t filled in the comments box. Anyway, this is what I wanted to write:

Is this the pocket page you were so worried about? It’s awesome! I think the key is to just let yourself play and explore, and you’ll be more confident in no time! Love your clusters and the way you overlapped elements
Old 01-04-2018, 10:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The secret is to poke around Youtube and various scrapping blogs and see what kind of pocket scrapping you are most drawn to.

Some people have lots of stuff in & out of their pockets -- like Krista and Traci Reed (who has a YT channel with lots of pocket vids, BTW) -- and some people just have photos & cards like Becky Higgins or Liz Tamanaha (Paislee Press).

Once you figure out the style you like, you can start scrapping like that and see how it goes.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:24 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

pocket pages are so hard for me... it's like 9 mini layouts on one page. haha. my secret are using collage style 4x6 or 3x4 cards, or Brook's templates...
Old 01-04-2018, 12:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
I tried to leave love in the gallery but it keeps telling me I haven’t filled in the comments box. Anyway, this is what I wanted to write:

Is this the pocket page you were so worried about? It’s awesome! I think the key is to just let yourself play and explore, and you’ll be more confident in no time! Love your clusters and the way you overlapped elements
Yeah it was that one. Do you believe that was the last one that I settled on after trashing maybe 13 other layouts?! ALL.DAY, it took me ALL.DAY!! I think that's why pocket pages stress me out. Traditional layouts (or my style) takes me about an hour, two if I'm being nit-picky. But pocket pages, I just second guess myself all the time and they take forever, making me feel unproductive for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
The secret is to poke around Youtube and various scrapping blogs and see what kind of pocket scrapping you are most drawn to.

Some people have lots of stuff in & out of their pockets -- like Krista and Traci Reed (who has a YT channel with lots of pocket vids, BTW) -- and some people just have photos & cards like Becky Higgins or Liz Tamanaha (Paislee Press).

Once you figure out the style you like, you can start scrapping like that and see how it goes.
Why do I never think to check the internet? I'm so focused on my sites, Facebook that I never think to look outside of that to Youtube or even a general search of Google!! I always forget to do that! Good suggestions! I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
pocket pages are so hard for me... it's like 9 mini layouts on one page. haha. my secret are using collage style 4x6 or 3x4 cards, or Brook's templates...
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who struggles with pocket pages! I'll have to check Brook's store out again. I bought a few of her templates with the last sale, but I must have overlooked (ie: ignored) the pocket style ones because I didn't know she had them!
Old 01-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Like Rebecca mentioned... my templates are the result of a non-pocket scrapper doing a pocket page! LOL I can't embrace it completely, I need elements. And paper shapes. And stuff.

They are the 'Half-Life' series. I have 8 packs of 3 HERE. I need to make more, I actually love using them! Here's a few ways some of us half-life'd it...
Janelle:

Sherly:

Me:

Kendall:

Crystal:

Old 01-04-2018, 01:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I mix pocket pages + traditional scrapping on the same layout!! I love all the paper boxes and stitched grids [I adore EZ's Album Series templates!!] but can't live without all the elements. I love the asymmetry of the finished results.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I struggle with pocket pages as well. Some days they come together easier than others, my issue is the same in that I overthink them. I had to get over that the template had to look the same. I found that if I place all my photos first and change size as needed then it is much easier and just go from there. It takes me longer to do a pocket page than it does any other type of layout.

Your final result is awesome though Wend, jumped right out at me in the gallery.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:12 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I know what you mean since I wanna start making PL pages this year and I am ALREADY nervous about it! lol And yes! Krista made it look soooooooo easy!

I remember I used to think "I am going to need a theme/color scheme for the year so it won't look like a big mess", but I think I gave up that idea! Let's make a mess in that square/pocket style! LOL
Old 01-04-2018, 05:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha View Post
I know what you mean since I wanna start making PL pages this year and I am ALREADY nervous about it! lol And yes! Krista made it look soooooooo easy!

I remember I used to think "I am going to need a theme/color scheme for the year so it won't look like a big mess", but I think I gave up that idea! Let's make a mess in that square/pocket style! LOL
that was part of my problem with my first album as I obsessed over using the same kit to make it look like it 'matches'.

Rather than do a daily photo, or worry about weeks (that is the album from 2015 that is not yet finished) I just do a monthly review. Some months have more pages as others because I did or had more to share that month. That has really taken the stress off me and made it easier to do an album. I also have thrown out the same kit/theme for the album. I tend to stick with the same colours for the month and by doing this I get the consistency I want but also get variety.

Off to begin 2017. . . . .
Old 01-04-2018, 05:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha View Post

I did that with my 2012 album. Jan through July all browns!!! :S

Is this considered a pocket page? I bought this one (or got it free, don't know. It's in my stash!). And I like it because it's clustered on top of the lines of the straight lines (photos/journal card slots). But it isn't an entire page filled with pocket lines.

I guess maybe I should make myself more comfortable with pocket pages. Once upon a time artsy layouts were my kryptonite, but now I love them and they are my go-to when I can't scrap!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

On the topic of Pocket Templates, did you know that SSD has an idea book right now on Pockets. It gives all types of inspiration on ways to do a pocket layout. https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/s...cat=557&page=1

Old 01-04-2018, 08:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mary you are just full of knowledge!! Thank you very much! <3
Old 01-05-2018, 12:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just think of the pocket part as kind of the base layer and place elements where I choose, not caring if they cross the edges of pockets. That's the beauty of digi, I think, nothing HAS to fit in the pockets! And if you don't want anything in a certain pocket, remove the layer and place what you want.