Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default I had a rough day yesterday too

one of my classmates is bipolar and he had a low yesterday and started ranting and raving at us all - no one was hurt but we were very scared and shaken. He isn't allowed back into the classes til he has an assessment so I should be ok for this week at least.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, those can be rather scary and disturbing. My brother had a friend who was bipolar, and even with medicine his lows could be absolutely terrifying. I'm glad no one was hurt.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

How scary! Good luck, chica! Hopefully things will stabilize soon
Old 03-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

thats very scary. My aunt was bipolar before she passed away and we saw her go through some crazy times.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The only class I was super worried about was my counseling class as he is in my group

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 03-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh no, I used to work with someone who was bipolar and I know how scary one of those episodes can be.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a friend who is bipolar and before she was officially diagnosed (which, to the medical system's shame, lasted for years) I had to stop contacting her because she was unbalancing me emotionally with her episodes. Now that we know what's wrong we're back on track. But yes, I can see how this must have upset you, Jennifer.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's very scary indeed! My third son is bipolar. He was officially diagnosed about 8 years ago (he's 23 now). There were a lot of medications that didn't work, made him lethargic, etc...Now, he is and has been on a really good mix for about 3 years. He's doing very well, just got an excellent job, got his drivers license and was given a brand new car by a family member. He gets to pick it up today (hopefully...they are waiting on the check to clear).

With proper medication and time, they can live a totally normal life without episodes. The problem for adults, is that if they haven't been medicated already, they won't want to be. They like the manic phase. It's a high for them, even though it scares everyone else. Everyone handles it differently though. My son cycled rapidly and his lows were anger...and then went into the depression. It was a roller coaster everyday.

Hugs Jennifer. I know it's scary!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aww, that is scarey. I'm bipolar but am balanced early 100% of the time. Good mix of medication, proper therapy and a good support system. I didn't level out until I finally decided to take responsibility for myself. It's true that bipolar people like the ups and downs (and of course hate it the next day) but the big turn around for me happened when I realized how much my selfish desires effected my husband and kids. The last 4 years or so have been incredibly stable, I just had to make the choice.

Unfortunately my sisters don't have families who depend on them so they cycle as much as they want and wreck their own lives. You can't give someone the desire to get healthy.

I hope this students assessment is accurate enough that he won't throw such fits in class again. (((hugs)))