Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-03-2022, 02:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Computer-related Headaches Anyone?

I've finally decided that the headache I've had over the last couple of months is directly connected to the time I spend staring at a screen. : ( It hurts my neck and my upper back, too. Has anyone else had issues with this and found an easy solution that doesn't involve giving up digital scrapbooking??
Old 08-03-2022, 02:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Have you had your eyes tested recently? You might need glasses.

Also, make sure your workstation set up is as ergonomically as possible. Here are some tips: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/b...t-workstation/
Old 08-03-2022, 04:49 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Besides what Jacinda said, take breaks. Often.

An issue I had although it was with ocular migraines and not actual headaches was the lighting. Staring at a screen for 6 to 8 hours a day under fluorescent lighting was my problem. I still had some issues at home but only if I didn't take any breaks. Going from all day on the computer at work then spending another 4 hours on it at home. I had to limit my computer time at home.

Once I retired and stopped spending so much time on the computer, those ocular migraines became less frequent although I do have them if I go to a website that has multiple moving gifs on a page. The constant replay motion is an issue for me.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I sometimes get headaches but I do have the neck and upper back issues just like you and as a result I've had to really limit my time at the computer these last few weeks. Today I went for acupuncture and I'm hoping that'll help as well as doing some stretching exercises and taking a little vacation away from the computer...but it's such a hard thing to do!!!

Old 08-03-2022, 07:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

They have special glasses for working on computers, or just glasses in general. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2022, 09:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I bought a pair of those blue light filtering glasses from Walmart for like $12 and they do help. I sometimes turn down the brightness, too. You should get your eyes checked, though. I thought I needed glasses, but it's just an annoying symptom of my thyroid disease.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:43 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Every. Single. Day. My worst headaches always stem from my neck/shoulder muscle tension. I usually have to take muscle relaxers several nights every week to keep them at bay. I just went to the doctor yesterday to get my prescription refilled, my head has been killing me lately. It gets to the point where I feel like I'm going to be sick and ibuprofen alone doesn't help. They recommended physical therapy once & that seemed like it would probably help but my insurance was lame & it would have been too crazy expensive to keep it up so I only did the one appointment. I try stretching during the day and try to walk at least an hour/4.5 miles most days but I'm still a mess. I just sit at my desk too much...
Old 08-04-2022, 11:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Man, I was hoping someone would say something like, "Take this all-natural supplement, and you don't have to change anything." LOL It never works that way, but I'm always hopeful.

I'll check out the link Jacinda posted, and I'll try to limit my non-essential screen time.

I'm having pain in my neck and shoulders, too, as well as ocular headaches, though I hadn't associated that with this. : (

Thanks to everyone who commiserated with me! Growing old is the pits!
Old 08-05-2022, 09:07 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
Man, I was hoping someone would say something like, "Take this all-natural supplement, and you don't have to change anything." LOL It never works that way, but I'm always hopeful.
If only! Since you mentioned the ocular migraines I will add this about my situation. I was also diagnosed by my optometrist as having chronic dry eye. This as well as the lighting I mentioned before contributed to the ocular migraines. They wanted to put me on Restasis but I asked if there was anything else I could do since it was so expensive. #1 was limiting screen time. They also recommended taking a supplement of Essential Fatty Acids (EFA's) that they had available for sale. The funny thing was I was already taking EFA's that I get elsewhere so I just upped the amount I was taking per day. When I worked I took 6 a day (2 in the morning, 2 at noon and 2 at night). Since I've retired I'm back to only 2 in the morning except during allergy season for me. Then I take 4.

So, maybe not a miracle supplement, but one that you might want to consider
Old 08-05-2022, 09:48 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I bought a seat cushion. I can't log into Amazon right now to show you the exact one, but I think I paid about $30 for it. Mine looks similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Seat-Cushion-...7HD8B9SP&psc=1 I couldn't believe how much that helped with my neck, back and shoulder pain.

Regarding headaches, it sounds like eye strain. You may need computer glasses.

I hope you find some relief soon!

Last edited by lizziej; 08-05-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:42 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica zane View Post
Every. Single. Day. My worst headaches always stem from my neck/shoulder muscle tension. I usually have to take muscle relaxers several nights every week to keep them at bay. I just went to the doctor yesterday to get my prescription refilled, my head has been killing me lately. It gets to the point where I feel like I'm going to be sick and ibuprofen alone doesn't help. They recommended physical therapy once & that seemed like it would probably help but my insurance was lame & it would have been too crazy expensive to keep it up so I only did the one appointment. I try stretching during the day and try to walk at least an hour/4.5 miles most days but I'm still a mess. I just sit at my desk too much...
I am just like Erica. My headaches always start as neck/shoulder tension and work their way up into my jaw and head. I will also get to the nausea phase where Advil just doesn't cut it. I haven't tried anything else. I wonder if I should try muscle relaxers.

The times I notice this becoming the most problematic is when I don't do my regular workouts. I HAVE to do my arm exercises regularly to relieve that tension or it just keeps building to the point I can't get the knots out until I go work out. I have some rotator cuff exercises that my chiropractor gave me over 20 years ago and those are the ones the do the trick. I found this image on Pinterest that is basically of the ones I do with a light 3 pound weight in each hand. I SWEAR by these exercises! Especially #43-44 and #68 while laying on my back with a light weight and #75 while standing up with a light weight.