Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2022, 08:16 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default What other creative outlets do you have?

Do you enjoy creative activities other than digi?

I am wondering if your creativity spreads out into other areas as well... I started digiscrapping in 2004 and for a long time that was my only creative outlet. But since then I started lots of other creative hobbies (some more long-living than others) that included, for example, beading and sewing.
My recent "discovery" is mixed media art and art journaling with physical products. One of the advantages of digi is the "no mess" aspect, but now that the boys are older I can leave stuff lying around so I can indulge in paint and paper (and more, including what others might consider trash).

Do you have other creative hobbies? If so, what are they? Show us some of your projects!

Some of mine:

Old 02-21-2022, 09:16 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I have a zillion other hobbies. I pretty much collect hobbies. Ha ha! I used to do a TON of beading and I really love that necklace you posted above! I have so many beads in my stash still and I really don't use them anymore which is a shame!

I also love to crochet and also do a bunch of acrylic painting and art journaling too. And I also love to dabble in wood working and building small projects from wood, but I'm not great at it yet. Lol.

(I copied this painting from one of my favorite artists on Pinterest)

Old 02-21-2022, 10:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Digital scrap is my art and creative therapy.

I also write poetry (www.kianadonae.com) and I do adult coloring to relax.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:01 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_ View Post
I have a zillion other hobbies. I pretty much collect hobbies. Ha ha! I used to do a TON of beading and I really love that necklace you posted above! I have so many beads in my stash still and I really don't use them anymore which is a shame!

I also love to crochet and also do a bunch of acrylic painting and art journaling too. And I also love to dabble in wood working and building small projects from wood, but I'm not great at it yet. Lol.
Yeah! I used to crochet a lot as well, mostly small containers, bags and blankets. I love your blanket, all those different stitches! Awesome!

Love your painting, too. Great colours!!!

What is the last image? A project with regular art exercise?
Old 02-21-2022, 11:03 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
Digital scrap is my art and creative therapy.

I also write poetry (www.kianadonae.com) and I do adult coloring to relax.
I am going to check out your page. Colouring can be very relaxing. I love the images by Johanna Basford.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:06 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Wow! Rikki the jewelry is beautiful!!
Old 02-21-2022, 11:32 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I agree Rikki that necklace is fantastic and so are your other projects!!! Karen LOVE your blanket! And your painting too! Great colors!!!! And Kiana I so love that you write poems!!!!

I too love to be creative in many ways. Here's a few samples of my favorite hobbies apart from scrapping and designing:

crochet critters:

my latest project: Beorn, The Lighthouse Keeper

Knit:

Current project is a jumper

mixed media painting on canvas

mixed media painting on wooden box

collage [for a friend's kids room]

home decor/diy

Old 02-21-2022, 11:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

y'all are so crafty! Digi is pretty much my only creative outlet at this season in life... I do bible journal, so I guess that is also creative thing.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Look at all of you!!! Wow!

I pretty much suck at all, even after classes and trying so I haven't really 'stuck' with anything.

I can't draw a straight line with a ruler (seriously).

I have crocheted---queen of the wonky edges here
I enjoy knitting but a blanket I started on a year, I somehow ended up screwing up the count so my pattern is now 'off', I just shoved it in the closet with plans of restarting as some point.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Scrapbooking is it for me now. I have in the past done card making, candle making, cake decorating, video montages and even designing digital scrapbooking materials.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:08 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonbertol View Post
Wow! Rikki the jewelry is beautiful!!
Thanks Sharon.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:11 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirjam View Post
I agree Rikki that necklace is fantastic and so are your other projects!!! Karen LOVE your blanket! And your painting too! Great colors!!!! And Kiana I so love that you write poems!!!!

I too love to be creative in many ways. Here's a few samples of my favorite hobbies apart from scrapping and designing:
How gorgeous all your creations are, Mir. Amigurumi, I have no patience for them. And everything I need to stitch together afterwards is a big no no for me. I have to have everything in one big piece

The frog collage, I am in love, especially since I love making collages. Do you know Claudine Hellmuth? I love her collages and once did an online course with her. We also have two original pieces made for us and I so love them!

Btw, that necklace is my knockoff of the Boden Boulevard necklaces that were popular for a while. I don't think they sell them anymore. So, the design is not mine, but, hey, I thought that $80 necklace I can make myself
Old 02-21-2022, 01:12 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
y'all are so crafty! Digi is pretty much my only creative outlet at this season in life... I do bible journal, so I guess that is also creative thing.
Bible journaling absolutely counts! I have seen very beautiful pages (even though it is not my cup of tea).
Old 02-21-2022, 01:14 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
Look at all of you!!! Wow!

I pretty much suck at all, even after classes and trying so I haven't really 'stuck' with anything.

I can't draw a straight line with a ruler (seriously).

I have crocheted---queen of the wonky edges here
I enjoy knitting but a blanket I started on a year, I somehow ended up screwing up the count so my pattern is now 'off', I just shoved it in the closet with plans of restarting as some point.
Jaye, I also suck at drawing, or so I thought. But with practice I am getting better.
And often enough my crochet squares turn out to be trapezes,
Old 02-21-2022, 01:16 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
Scrapbooking is it for me now. I have in the past done card making, candle making, cake decorating, video montages and even designing digital scrapbooking materials.
I love homemade candles. I have a friend who does that and we always give her our candle leftover. She then turns them into beautiful candles again. I am a big fan of recycling...
Everything where I can re-purpose stuff, I love.

I have no patience for cake decorating. The most I ever do is add icing sugar. Too hungry, you see
Old 02-21-2022, 01:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
How gorgeous all your creations are, Mir. Amigurumi, I have no patience for them. And everything I need to stitch together afterwards is a big no no for me. I have to have everything in one big piece

The frog collage, I am in love, especially since I love making collages. Do you know Claudine Hellmuth? I love her collages and once did an online course with her. We also have two original pieces made for us and I so love them!

Btw, that necklace is my knockoff of the Boden Boulevard necklaces that were popular for a while. I don't think they sell them anymore. So, the design is not mine, but, hey, I thought that $80 necklace I can make myself
Rikki I CERTAINLY do know Claudine Helmut. That collage was totally inspired by her designs!!!!
Old 02-21-2022, 02:07 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yeah! I used to crochet a lot as well, mostly small containers, bags and blankets. I love your blanket, all those different stitches! Awesome!

Love your painting, too. Great colours!!!

What is the last image? A project with regular art exercise?
It was a class I took called 48 weeks that was supposed to be one art journaling lesson a week for approximately a year. I think it took me about 5 years to finish it all. Ha ha! The art journal book was a huge Moleskin book... like 12" x 16.5" I loved that class!
Old 02-21-2022, 02:11 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

That is exactly why I started beading! I went to a Silpada home party and their stuff was gorgeous but SUPER expensive and I wanted to see if I could do it myself. Lol!
Old 02-21-2022, 02:13 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirjam View Post

crochet critters:

my latest project: Beorn, The Lighthouse Keeper

Knit:

Current project is a jumper

mixed media painting on canvas

mixed media painting on wooden box

collage [for a friend's kids room]

home decor/diy

Wow Mirjam! SO many awesome crochet creatures. I knew you crocheted and I remember seeing the patchwork horse and loving that one... but that Zebra is SO cool! I love it on your shelf with the other B&W goodies!
Old 02-21-2022, 02:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

not a whole lot! I don't do a lot of creative hobbies.. I recently am starting to knit but I am not very good with following patterns.. i don't know if i will be able to accomplish anything other than scarves.

My favourite thing to do when i'm wanting an outlet is going for walks and listening to audiobooks while walking.

I'm SO impressed by all your hobbies!!
Old 02-21-2022, 02:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This is such a cool thread! I love all your creations ladies!

I wish I were creative. I have tried a bunch of things but don't really stick to it long enough. Digi scrap is my longest one.

I have tried amigurumis (cute stuffed crochets)
knitting
calligraphy or lettering
paper scrapping
photography
paint by number
Old 02-21-2022, 03:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I probably dabble in too many things.... "creative in all ways.... master in none" lol

I started out as a paper scrapper / crafter, when I moved to digi scrapping only, I couldn't bare the thought of my supplies going to waste to I picked up Mixed Media art journaling for those times when I just want to get messy.

I've been working on sewing and quilting a lot lately, love them both but that just made me want to do more "stitchy" style things like embroidery and crochet (I literally just threw my crochet hook on the desk, paused the video I was following and came on here for a break.... that's how well learning that is going lol).

Another "art form" I do (which is probably my second fav after Digi Scrap), is makeup. I dunno what it is, but there is something so fun about using my own face as my canvas and just doing whatever I want. Of course, the more fun I have the more I need to know I have a day where i'm not leaving the house (cause even if it looks amazing, it's sometimes more than my comfort zone will handle in public).
Old 02-21-2022, 03:11 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_ View Post
It was a class I took called 48 weeks that was supposed to be one art journaling lesson a week for approximately a year. I think it took me about 5 years to finish it all. Ha ha! The art journal book was a huge Moleskin book... like 12" x 16.5" I loved that class!
Ha, I am doing something like that right now. One project a week. We are now in week seven and I am still on track. We'll see how it goes.... One has to keep the momentum going, right?
Old 02-21-2022, 03:12 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
not a whole lot! I don't do a lot of creative hobbies.. I recently am starting to knit but I am not very good with following patterns.. i don't know if i will be able to accomplish anything other than scarves.

My favourite thing to do when i'm wanting an outlet is going for walks and listening to audiobooks while walking.

I'm SO impressed by all your hobbies!!
I know what you mean! Following knitting patterns is even worse than crochet. That's why my knitting is limited to mittens without ANY fingers and potholders
Old 02-21-2022, 03:14 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
This is such a cool thread! I love all your creations ladies!

I wish I were creative. I have tried a bunch of things but don't really stick to it long enough. Digi scrap is my longest one.

I have tried amigurumis (cute stuffed crochets)
knitting
calligraphy or lettering
paper scrapping
photography
paint by number
I know, right? But one has to try out things and eventually something will stick. I never thought I had a creative bone in my body and then I discovered digi scrapping.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:15 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

You are all SO talented and creative! I used to make tons of cards, but pretty much gave that up. I turn quite a bit of my digital art into wall art - mostly canvases. One of my favorite pieces of wall art is a collection of my paper ATC's, which I call "My Ladies Collection". I'll be back with some pictures.

Old 02-21-2022, 03:15 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
I probably dabble in too many things.... "creative in all ways.... master in none" lol

I started out as a paper scrapper / crafter, when I moved to digi scrapping only, I couldn't bare the thought of my supplies going to waste to I picked up Mixed Media art journaling for those times when I just want to get messy.

I've been working on sewing and quilting a lot lately, love them both but that just made me want to do more "stitchy" style things like embroidery and crochet (I literally just threw my crochet hook on the desk, paused the video I was following and came on here for a break.... that's how well learning that is going lol).

Another "art form" I do (which is probably my second fav after Digi Scrap), is makeup. I dunno what it is, but there is something so fun about using my own face as my canvas and just doing whatever I want. Of course, the more fun I have the more I need to know I have a day where i'm not leaving the house (cause even if it looks amazing, it's sometimes more than my comfort zone will handle in public).
You have to be SUPER exact for quilting, I can't do it!

Makeup can be super creative and is an art form. Not one I could do, but I sometimes see eye make up on IG and it is so amazing!
Old 02-21-2022, 03:17 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylny View Post
You are all SO talented and creative! I used to make tons of cards, but pretty much gave that up. I turn quite a bit of my digital art into wall art - mostly canvases. One of my favorite pieces of wall art is a collection of my paper ATC's, which I call "My Ladies Collection". I'll be back with some pictures.
Please do show us some! I always like it when I see all the creations in one big image. I am planning to hang up my mixed media pieces and create one big art wall.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wow!! You all are so talented! I used to knit, but haven't done it in ages. In the past, I've done calligraphy, paper crafts, card making, stamping. Digital scrapping is my creative outlet right now.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:10 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Here are some of my Pinterest boards: Bible Journaling: https://www.pinterest.com/cheryldesn/bible-journaling/
Traveler's Notebooks: https://www.pinterest.com/cheryldesn/travel-notebooks/
Pocket Letters (I was involved in Pocket Letter Exchanges for quite awhile: https://www.pinterest.com/cheryldesn/pocket-letters/ (These are not ALL mine, but mostly)
Mixed Media Art (Just a TINY BIT - I seriously need to update this board): https://www.pinterest.com/cheryldesn/mixed-media/

I just took this picture of my ATC Card Holder that's on my wall.

Here's a picture of the 66 Bible Chapter tabs that I made for the Bible I got my granddaughter:

Last edited by Cherylny; 02-21-2022 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

There are some creative ladies here. I love all the fun art and knitting. I wish I could knit, but at this point I don't even want to start another creative hobby....they cost too much. ROFLMAOOOO

Old 02-21-2022, 05:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Love this thread!!! Ya'll are so talented!!!!

So I have always loved drawing and painting. Then i went to a tech school for commercial art for high school. In college I took a few art classes.

Then life and babies... I stopped drawing and painting, but started sewing and quilting and some woodworking. I am always helping hubby with our home improvements.

Then in 2014 I had surgery and was forced to rest... I started painting again! I didn't realize how much I missed it.
Now I do all sorts of hobbies and crafting....anything creative.... paint, my cricut, wood... sewing... I love it all.

We are currently working on making a large craft space in the basement for my daughter and I (she is my mini me....teacher and crafter...it's like someone went copy n paste....lol)

Some of my art.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by StacyLynn; 02-21-2022 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Other than digi I crochet and do some craft painting. It's just simple wood signs for a tiered tray decor, and it switches every month. This is the latest:

My crochet is mostly simple stuff like dish cloths and baby blankets. I'm currently working on a blanket for myself in a black and red buffalo plaid pattern.

I've also bought a Cricut recently and I've been designing little sayings for wine glasses and coffee cups made of vinyl. I was thinking of maybe trying to sell them on Etsy.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponytails View Post
I've also bought a Cricut recently and I've been designing little sayings for wine glasses and coffee cups made of vinyl. I was thinking of maybe trying to sell them on Etsy.
I purchased a Cricut in December - I figured it would be easy-peasy since I had a Silhouette for years, turns out I was a little too confident! LOL! I'm still learning.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You all are SO SO talented!!!

Digi has been my main source of creativity for years, but I dabble in paper crafting ... and since recently purchasing a Cricut, hope to paint signs and attempt to make some leather earrings ...
Old 02-22-2022, 12:33 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

My creative side is scrapbooking, but my other hobby is playing video games with my hubby- World of Warcraft and Age of Empires. In the past we played Diablo, and many years ago-Bards tale and and Myst. We have been gamers for as long as we have been married- nearly 37 years. We also love football and we recently started betting on football. My husband has won money, but I have not. Oh well.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:39 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
y'all are so crafty! Digi is pretty much my only creative outlet at this season in life...
Me too! I do love to read, but find less and less time to do so these days.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:57 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I see so many fun hobbies and awesome projects here!!!! This is such an inspiring thread! Thanks so much for sharing your fantastic creations and creative outlets everyone!
Old 02-22-2022, 10:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

Quote:
Other than digi I crochet and do some craft painting. It's just simple wood signs for a tiered tray decor, and it switches every month. This is the latest:

My crochet is mostly simple stuff like dish cloths and baby blankets. I'm currently working on a blanket for myself in a black and red buffalo plaid pattern.

Beautiful work, Nat! Do you make your own frames?

Old 02-22-2022, 11:26 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Wow!! You all are so talented! I used to knit, but haven't done it in ages. In the past, I've done calligraphy, paper crafts, card making, stamping. Digital scrapping is my creative outlet right now.
It seems that knitting and paper crafting is/was very popular among us. Calligraphy and paper crafting is a perfect combination!
Old 02-22-2022, 11:27 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylny View Post
Here are some of my Pinterest boards: Bible Journaling: https://www.pinterest.com/cheryldesn/bible-journaling/
Traveler's Notebooks: https://www.pinterest.com/cheryldesn/travel-notebooks/
Pocket Letters (I was involved in Pocket Letter Exchanges for quite awhile: https://www.pinterest.com/cheryldesn/pocket-letters/ (These are not ALL mine, but mostly)
Mixed Media Art (Just a TINY BIT - I seriously need to update this board): https://www.pinterest.com/cheryldesn/mixed-media/

I just took this picture of my ATC Card Holder that's on my wall.

Here's a picture of the 66 Bible Chapter tabs that I made for the Bible I got my granddaughter:

Those tabs look awesome!
Old 02-22-2022, 11:27 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
There are some creative ladies here. I love all the fun art and knitting. I wish I could knit, but at this point I don't even want to start another creative hobby....they cost too much. ROFLMAOOOO
You are so right! Another way to spend tons of money!
Old 02-22-2022, 11:29 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

That decoration looks great! I love the idea to change it every month according to the season or a holiday! And what's more, you can display your art...
Old 02-22-2022, 11:29 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
You all are SO SO talented!!!

Digi has been my main source of creativity for years, but I dabble in paper crafting ... and since recently purchasing a Cricut, hope to paint signs and attempt to make some leather earrings ...
I have no idea what a cricut even is,
Old 02-22-2022, 11:30 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonbertol View Post
My creative side is scrapbooking, but my other hobby is playing video games with my hubby- World of Warcraft and Age of Empires. In the past we played Diablo, and many years ago-Bards tale and and Myst. We have been gamers for as long as we have been married- nearly 37 years. We also love football and we recently started betting on football. My husband has won money, but I have not. Oh well.
Hey, nothing better than a shared hobby, right?
Old 02-22-2022, 11:31 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
Love this thread!!! Ya'll are so talented!!!!

So I have always loved drawing and painting. Then i went to a tech school for commercial art for high school. In college I took a few art classes.

Then life and babies... I stopped drawing and painting, but started sewing and quilting and some woodworking. I am always helping hubby with our home improvements.

Then in 2014 I had surgery and was forced to rest... I started painting again! I didn't realize how much I missed it.
Now I do all sorts of hobbies and crafting....anything creative.... paint, my cricut, wood... sewing... I love it all.

We are currently working on making a large craft space in the basement for my daughter and I (she is my mini me....teacher and crafter...it's like someone went copy n paste....lol)

Some of my art.
A large craft space! How I would love that! As it is I have to move everything around and no proper storage for all in one place. I am a bit envious now!
Old 02-22-2022, 11:33 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
Me too! I do love to read, but find less and less time to do so these days.
I believe that reading is THE universal hobby - even though I know a few die-hard non-readers. I don't know what I would do without books.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:51 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorigaud View Post
Beautiful work, Nat! Do you make your own frames?
Thanks! No, I don't "make" any of this stuff. It's all from a local craft store that sells everything together with all the supplies. You get the wood, the vinyl cutouts, the paint... everything you need to complete the project. That's what I love about it. There's no thinking involved. I just set up my area and go. It's a nice break from everything.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:52 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
I purchased a Cricut in December - I figured it would be easy-peasy since I had a Silhouette for years, turns out I was a little too confident! LOL! I'm still learning.
Yes, there is most definitely a learning curve!
Old 02-22-2022, 11:54 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That decoration looks great! I love the idea to change it every month according to the season or a holiday! And what's more, you can display your art...
Yes, it's fun for sure. I don't take credit for the designs here though. These are kits that come all pre-cut and ready to paint. The activity itself is fairly mindless... just a nice break from the world and some time totally for myself.