Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2017, 01:44 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default What kills your mojo and what brings it back?

I haven't done any scrapping in ages - and ages and ages.

My husband got laid off in November and hasn't started looking for work - there was a pay out so we don't need him to work financially in fact he could take a 5 year holiday if he wanted LOL - but having him around the house is driving me absolutely BATTY!!!!

Being in a bad mood has made it hard for me to scrap - i feel like i need to be happy to do pages because if i'm frustrated or cranky it will come across in the look of the page

But then my mojo came back when my daughter told me a funny story to go with the photos i took of her this weekend. I had so much fun and i'm happy with the result - i really need to push past the crankiness so i can get back into it
Old 01-29-2017, 01:45 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

the cute photos and the funny story

Old 01-29-2017, 01:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I lose my mojo when I have too many scrap demands on my time and have to scrap with a bunch of kits for CT's. This is why I limit myself to only a couple CT's at a time!

Next time you get cranky, scrap a cranky page and see if that helps!

Old 01-29-2017, 02:02 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

i was thinking about scrapping cranky pages - i'm not sure if i can do it, i'm scared lol. So far i have only scrapped pages to share with my family, a cranky page would be all for me

i can imagine CT pressure would be bad for your mojo, it's like i enjoy cooking but when i do it because i have to it isn't fun at all
Old 01-29-2017, 02:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I feel you! I usually only scrap pages for my kids' books, so they're from their perspective and have very little to do with me unless I'm part of the story. However, I've started to scrap pages for myself as a sort of therapy for when I'm stressed or cranky.

Like this one about our accident a year and a half ago:

and this simple one for my stillborn niece

I suggest giving it a try to see if it works for you! haha

Old 01-29-2017, 02:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Scrapping when you're frustrated or canky can help. It's sort of a thereapy page where you get everything out. And you can always just delete it after your done if you don't feel like keeping it.
But it keeps you going, and one of the things I've noticed when the mojo wears out, is you need to just power through and keep scrapping because if you keep it up, you rmojo will come back.

Recently I've been in a funk too and have scrapped very litte, only kept up with my PL pages. So I jumped in the bingo challenge to just do a few, I ended up scrapping 12 layouts in 3 days and it was so much fun. So perhaps you can use the bingo prompts as inspiration and get into it again?
Old 01-29-2017, 02:37 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineF View Post
Scrapping when you're frustrated or canky can help. It's sort of a thereapy page where you get everything out. And you can always just delete it after your done if you don't feel like keeping it.
But it keeps you going, and one of the things I've noticed when the mojo wears out, is you need to just power through and keep scrapping because if you keep it up, you rmojo will come back.

Recently I've been in a funk too and have scrapped very litte, only kept up with my PL pages. So I jumped in the bingo challenge to just do a few, I ended up scrapping 12 layouts in 3 days and it was so much fun. So perhaps you can use the bingo prompts as inspiration and get into it again?
That is actually my plan for Feb, I downloaded the card for january but literally didn't do a single page for it - now i'm counting the minutes to the feb page coming so i can get a start.

I love the bingo challenges for this exact reason but even with a bingo i couldn't get past my slump
Old 01-29-2017, 02:37 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
I feel you! I usually only scrap pages for my kids' books, so they're from their perspective and have very little to do with me unless I'm part of the story. However, I've started to scrap pages for myself as a sort of therapy for when I'm stressed or cranky.

Like this one about our accident a year and a half ago:

and this simple one for my stillborn niece

I suggest giving it a try to see if it works for you! haha

I just love these pages! i really should give it a go one day
Old 01-29-2017, 06:36 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Sometimes it's good to take some time off, too. I scrap so much that sometimes taking a break gives a breather to my creativity.
As it has been mentioned, doing some bingo challenges or scraplift other people's pages can also help you when you are out of creativity.
I would say go scrap about your crankiness, it helps you to let it out It's not a bad thing to scrap for yourself, especially since you scrap a lot for your family!
Old 01-29-2017, 08:44 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

When i think im gonna scrap on my day of. And having a migraine then
Old 01-29-2017, 10:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

somewhat times i get burnt out and lose my mojo after a BIG scrap event like NSD. but then the SSD Designers create another awesome kit that I JUST HAVE TO scrap with and my mojo comes back
Old 01-29-2017, 10:51 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

When I lose my mojo for a little while, I go with it. I spend a few days reading or doing something else crafty, then I try again. Long term scrapping slumps are harder. I organize supplies and photos, and sometimes I find things I can't wait to scrap with. Or I might focus on simple pages that need less mojo, figuring that even though they'll never be my favorites, at least they'll be done! Same theory applies when I focus on the pages that I never really like doing, like birthday party pages with a whole bunch of photos. When I'm having a long-term slump, getting out of it usually takes at least a few weeks of pushing myself to scrap anyway. Great first page back, and I hope it leads to many more!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2017, 01:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with the girls, scrapping cranky or bad days can definitely be therapeutic to the soul.

Also for me taking time away helps when the mojo leaves. I find doing other things for a bit and not thinking about scrapping really helps.

Hope you are able to find your mojo again, hon!
Old 01-30-2017, 03:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I loss my mojo when I'm stressed out and overwhelmed with too much too do.

Taking new pictures usually helps get me out of it, thankfully!
Old 01-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I seriously lose my mojo when my girls are acting out. When they come home from school and won't listen/do chores or when they back talk, that really zaps it. I really can't scrap a hearts and flowers lo when I'm aggravated by them. If I'm wanting to scrap, that's when I'll do my los about the horrible phase they're going through lol. Seriously, I have quite a few of those pages. They're mostly journal heavy, or sometimes just a moody photo/journal-less lo works for the mood.

For getting my mojo back, sometimes nothing I do will do it, and I have to wait. Sometimes just taking new pics, or a pretty new kit can do it. Or even something happening, and just having a new particular story I want to get down. I've even scrapped about life events that MAY happen, just to get down and work out my feelings about it.

I always try to keep scrapping fun, even having CTs, If I didn't love all the designers I CT for, it would be like work, and that would drive me crazy Sometimes I'll get a block with a certain lo or kit and that can zap my mojo. Then if I try to work on something else, it's hard, because I feel like I need to go back to that specific kit or lo until I work through it, but that never works for me. It's hard for me to not finish a lo but sometimes it's best to just leave it unfinished until I feel ready to finish.

Scrapping just for myself was hard at first. It felt weird lol. Now that I'm more used to it, I look at it like a diary of sorts. The los will just be for me, until one day when I'm gone, my girls can go through it and read them. I think that would be nice for them. To have my feelings on stuff or little bits of me that is stuff I might not say to them. I've actually got about 300 AAM los, though some are just pretties I did up that I love to look at and aren't anything particularly about me. Like quotes and lyrics and such. They'll have their own separate album as well.

I didn't mean to type such a long post!! But I hope your mojo comes back
Old 01-31-2017, 12:40 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbrie View Post
Scrapping just for myself was hard at first. It felt weird lol. Now that I'm more used to it, I look at it like a diary of sorts. The los will just be for me, until one day when I'm gone, my girls can go through it and read them. I think that would be nice for them. To have my feelings on stuff or little bits of me that is stuff I might not say to them...
I like that idea, as I mostly scrap for our family albums too.

As for what zaps my scrapping mojo, sleep deprivation. When I'm mentally tired, I have trouble concentrating and being creative. Luckily inspiring kits and/or photos can often bring it back but sometimes it's just time that is needed.

Creative for Grace Lee & Scrapping with Liz
Guesting for LJS Designs in Nov-Dec 2020
Old 01-31-2017, 01:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

When life is particularly stressful or unpleasant, I find it hard to scrap. I'm very much a "wear my heart on my sleeve" kind of person, so when I'm upset, I can't fake it, not even in my scrapbook pages.

I lost my mojo for about 2.5 years during and after my divorce. What brought me back to the scrapping world was Project Life. It was a new and exciting challenge for me, and I fell in love with the process. As I started posting my PL pages, my old scrappy and designer friends kept giving me positive feedback, which led to a designer asking me to be on her CT, which then led to me scrapping "traditional," non-PL pages again. Now, I'm so happy to be back and hope I never feel the need to step away again for such a long period of time.