Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default More girl talk - ablation

Hi gals! I just saw my OBGYN today to discuss a couple of issues. I've had one polyp removed (from my uterus about a year ago) and am still having heavy bleeding during my menses. My doc (whom I really like and feel good about her opinions) is suggesting 'ablation' as an option. It's essentially cauterizing the entire inside of the uterus. I'm seriously considering this rather than hormonal treatment.

Wondering if anyone has had this done? How did the recovery go? Did it help? Thanks gals! I always appreciate your willingness to share!

(P.S. FYI: I'm 42 and done having kids! )

Here's a link if ya'll want to read up on it: http://www.gynalternatives.com/ablation.htm
Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Kristi - I'm not sure your stance on this, so wanted to share, fyi. You can still conceive with this procedure, the egg will just have no where to implant. And the risk for ectopic pregnancies does go up a bit.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Two of my friends have had this done as a treatment for very heavy periods. The recovery time was short - 24-48 hours and the procedure itself wasn't too difficult according to them. They have both been pleased with the results.

*Edited to add that they are both mid-30's and have had their tubes tied as well.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
Kristi - I'm not sure your stance on this, so wanted to share, fyi. You can still conceive with this procedure, the egg will just have no where to implant. And the risk for ectopic pregnancies does go up a bit.
Yep! Thanks Darcy. DH just had the big V a few months ago, so I think we are OK!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I put this off for years (5-ish), and I had it done about 2 years ago now. The best thing I have ever done. Ever. I highly recommend it. I have no idea why I waited so long.

(not that it matters in your case, but my OBGYN would not even do the procedure unless there was surgical contraception already in place. (either the man or woman) If you got pregnant it could kill you. Your uterus would no longer be able to stretch to hold a baby)
Old 03-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have been considering this. I have seriously heavy periods. (I go through a box of ultra absorbancy tampons every month and still have to use regular for part of my period.) Ultras are the highest absorbancy you can get. It sucks. Then about 2 or so days before I start I start hurting. I hurt in my lower stomach and back and it radiates into my legs. I think that the pain contributes alot to my moodiness because honestly who can be pleasent when they feel so bad? So I am going to talk to my doctor when I get back in because Im just tired of it. My primary care dr wanted to just put me on the pill and I couldnt understand that when I already had my tubes tied. I do know of a person who had it done and have heard the recovery is quick and is not very painful.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I had this done about a year ago. It was outpatient procedure under anesthesia at a Women's Hospital. I was there only a few hours. Once home I was sleepy and took pain pills for that day and slept a lot. Day two I was fine, moved around easy but had a friend here to keep my company and just incase. Day three I had some pain, but was fine after that.

My period still comes but it's really light, still annoying though, but not nearly as heavy as before. I had a polyp removed at the same time but it was nothing. I'd do it again if I had the option. Good luck on making your decision!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

profile gallery

Oh goodness so glad for this thread. Before getting on the computer, I seriously was just thinking of this. Mine have been heavy and long lately. I was going to talk to my doc about this. My friend told me yesterday her doctor told her 50% of the time is does the complete opposite. Sometimes it can make it heavy and worse. Anyone heard this!!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had a tubal almost 4 years ago after Kyle was born and have been wanting to have this done for quite some time now. I'm SO tired of dealing with the heavy periods and cramping every month and since we are 150% for sure done having kids I really want to get it done soon. I just need to make an appointment with my new doctor so I can get it scheduled.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Awesome gals! Just what I was hoping everyone would share! I have an ultrasound in another few weeks and then we'll talk about it somemore. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knlchevys View Post
Oh goodness so glad for this thread. Before getting on the computer, I seriously was just thinking of this. Mine have been heavy and long lately. I was going to talk to my doc about this. My friend told me yesterday her doctor told her 50% of the time is does the complete opposite. Sometimes it can make it heavy and worse. Anyone heard this!!
I have never heard of it being worse. I know that my MD told me that it may not help, and if it didn't I was looking at a hysterectomy.

My periods were light for about 6 months after the procedure. Then just several days of spotting until about a year and a half. At 2 years form surgery, there is nothing most months, maybe tiny spotting one day. I still have some cramps, (but controlled easily with Advil...where nothing would touch them before) and PMS. I know when "it" should be. It just doesn't happen. I can leave the house now.

Before the surgery, I had very heavy periods. Lasting 15-20 days and then starting again after a few days. Tampons plus pads 24 hours a day for a least 5 days of it...some other things. I think this may be getting a little gross if I do any more detail. LOL