Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2023, 10:13 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm
Default Looking for suggestions...

We've booked our plane tickets to Canada (from Johannesburg) for June next year .... now the planning can start for this long awaited trip. We will be in the Toronto area.

So my dilemma... we will need somewhere to stay ... we being me, hubby & our 22 year old son. The family can't put us up at all .

Any suggestions from any locals please?
Old 10-08-2023, 10:52 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Darn it for family not being able to help! I’m no help as I’m on the opposite side of the country (Alberta), but I hope you have a FANTASTIC time!!!!

Old 10-08-2023, 12:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This sounds like an amazing trip! I am sure someone here will have some suggestions for you. I use Choice hotels for our travel, but I don't know if they have them for Canada! You can always google the area you are going into with hotels and see what pops up. Then you can look at those individually and see ratings, prices etc.

Since you don't have anything set up yet, I would also look at booking at a few diferent hotels, maybe in different areas. That way you can explore more, and if the 1st hotel ends up being not the best, you aren't stuck there for the remainder of the vacation!

Good luck! Have an amazing time!
Old 10-08-2023, 02:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

That's super exciting Cath - delighted for you.
Old 10-08-2023, 02:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am on the other side of Canada closer to Trina so unfortunately I can't help you either.. I've never been there myself LOL! Maybe you should come this way instead.. hehe.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:55 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks all for your comments.... I thought it's be a longshot but worth the post.

Clever idea @aussiegirl to book separate hotels... might just look at that option... mainly as we plan to go to Niagra-on-the-lake too so will need to break our stay in Toronto.

Coming from South Africa the exchange rate is not in our favour so anywhere we can visit/do for free would also be a bonus. Guess we do have a few months still to plan.
Old 10-12-2023, 12:38 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

This is our friends' condo Airbnb in downtown Toronto. They said that they can do short-term rentals if you contact them directly.

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/33296977...RG75MA2jCA%2Br
Old 10-12-2023, 12:40 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Also, I haven't stayed here but I know my friends (same friends as the Airbnb actually) love the Pillar & Post in NOTL: https://www.vintage-hotels.com/pilla...SAAEgKiTfD_BwE
Old 10-12-2023, 04:25 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much Dani for this and the hotel links... will check them both out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniW View Post
This is our friends' condo Airbnb in downtown Toronto. They said that they can do short-term rentals if you contact them directly.

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/33296977...RG75MA2jCA%2Br
Old 10-12-2023, 11:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Much of the fun stuff in Toronto is downtown near the waterfront.
The Westin Harbour Castle is right on the waterfront, and perfectly positioned for exploring.
https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...onto/overview/

A few great things to do in Toronto, Royal Ontario Museum is really good and has a great dinosaur skeleton display, Go up the CN tower, Go to the Ripley's Aquarium - it's a great one, there is an area on Queen St. West in downtown that has amazing murals on it - chances are a concierge will know where to direct you. Toronto also has a good chinatown, but you can also just get great chinese food at the Pearl Restaurant in Harbourside (ask concierge or family), Depending on when you are in town, the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) might be happening but you all might be a little old to fully enjoy it, Toronto has a vibrant waterfront especially in summer and it is great to walk along it. Feel free to PM me any questions as you get nearer your trip. I grew up in Toronto and go back yearly to visit my parents who lived right on the water and see other family. I'll ask my cousin about Niagara-on-the-Lake. ( she says Pillar and Post and Prince of Wales or just consult this list: https://www.thehotelguru.com/en-ca/b...lKmI2sm2eV7VHo) If you are going that far you should definitely go into Niagara Falls and check them out - they are pretty impressive.
Old 10-14-2023, 12:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You might want to check out CityPass Toronto. It won't help you with hotels, but if you plan to do much sightseeing, it can help you get discounted admission to different attractions. We've used it in Chicago and Boston.
Old 10-14-2023, 11:03 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

I'm incredibly fond of Toronto. It's sorta romantic in my mind because it was where my now husband and I would spend time when we were long distance and I would visit him in Canada! It's a WONDERFUL city! His whole family is in Ontario, so I have suggestions from everywhere from St. Catherines (near Niagara on the Lake / The Falls) all the way to Whitby/Oshawa.

The Saint James Hotel is an awesome little modern boutique hotel right in the heart of Toronto near Yonge-Dundas Square. There are subway spots everywhere, so it's super easy to get around. It looks unassuming on the outside, but the rooms are darling and the location is fantastic!

You can also check out One King West for a bigger high rise hotel that's really nice and right in the heart of it all.

I agree with Tracey, if you are museum people, DO NOT miss the ROM. It is a spectacular museum... I'd say one of the best in the world. Just stunning / breathtaking displays of everything from dinosaurs to mummies and more.

If you want any restaurant recommendations... just ask! We're kinda foodies and have had some AMAZING dining experiences in Toronto and the surrounding areas <3
Old 10-14-2023, 12:52 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

With older children and longer trips, I like Airbnbs. It gives us all more room and not being on top of each other plus you have the option to cook. Just make sure to check for ones that do not have a ton of fees jacking up the price. I live near Canada but not that area either, the middle part.