Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Question What did you bring?

So, we finally got our appointment date for my repeat c-section... and it's only 6 weeks away!!! But, I'm still paranoid that I may go into labor sooner than that since my son was born at 31 weeks! Anyways, I really want to get a hospital bag together, but I have no clue what to bring with me.
With my son it was totally unexpected and an emergency thing, so we didn't pack anything, but Nick had to travel 2 hours back and forth if we discovered we needed anything. What a pain in the butt that was!!!! (Although this time we'll actually be at our local hospital which is about 5 minutes from our house!!! Yay!)

So, what did you bring to the hospital with you when you were having a baby? (I don't need any labor type stuff since I'm having a c-section)

Thanks for the advice!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

I had a repeat c-section with my second and it was SOOO much easier the second time around. I brought my laptop, a book, my comfy, comfy yoga pants, a huge tshirt, slippers, socks, my own pillow, and my cell phone (it's like another appendage to me). HTH!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

The first time around, I brought everthing and the kitchen sink. The second time... not so much. lol

I took....
my own comfy pajamas (nursing pajamas if you'll be nursing)
nursing bras (at least 2)
my own pillow (put an obvious pillowcase on it so you don't forget it or get it mixed with the hospital ones)
slippers
socks
underwear (I bought big ugly white ones from wal-mart cuz I didn't want to bleed on my good undies)
maternity outfit for going home (still too "pregnant" to wear regular clothes)
toothbrush, paste, hairbrush, etc.
Camera (w/ film and batteries if necessary)
phone numbers of family members (program into cell phone)
infant carseat (leave in the car)
going home outfit for baby

And I think thats it. I mostly just wanted to sleep and love on my new baby. The hospital had everything else we needed.

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 05-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

slippers, p.j.'s., a robe, a towel, a favorite quilt or blanket, some magazines or a book to read, some movies to watch, puzzle mags, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrush, hairbrush, breast pads for leaking milk, comfy bra because I couldnt stand not wearing one with so many people coming in and out. I think that is it. All that I can think of anyhow LOL

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

oh and we brought a disposable camera because it was before digital and we didnt have a camera of our own so yea obviously youd want to bring a camera!!

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

I totally didn't think to put all the stuff for the babe! LOL

Old 05-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

1. camera {with extra memory card and extra battery if you have them}
2. video camera
3. gum and suckers {helped my sweet tooth}
4. and DEFINETELY ont he granny pannies for afterwards
5. boppy {even if you don't breastfeed I found this was so helpful}
6. make-up {if youthink you would like to do it for the trip home}
7. shower shoes for the shower {some kind of cheap flip flops}
8. diaper bag
9. outfit for baby...and I also took some little infant nightgowns with me
10. I took my baby book and smear free ink to stamp the baby's hand/foot prints in his actual book before I left the hospital {good thing I did, never thought about it again after that!!!}....
11. car seat {which you can leave in the vehicle until it's time to go home}
12. and I bought "I'm the big sister" "I'm the big brother" t-shirts that I gave to my kids when they came to visit me with the new baby
Old 05-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, awesome lists ladies!!!! Thanks so much!!!!!

You've all mentioned things I haven't even thought about!!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I took 2 cameras (SLR and P&S), batteries and chargers for them, laptop and charger, cell phone, snacks, comfy clothes to wear home, housecoat and slippers, babies clothes, carseat, flip flops to wear home b/c I always swell afterwards....

I brought the baby's scrapbook with me b/c there was a page about the birth that I had the doctor sign.

All three of my boys were a month early so the bags were packed WAY early!! Two of the three had NICU stays of 5 and 8 days.

ETA: Hair dryer, pony tail holders, brush, makeup, iPod, all bathroom goodies, nursing bras if you plan to nurse, (the hospital should have nursing pillows)

Last edited by kim21673; 05-13-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

- my own pads
- nursing jammies
- nursing bras
- nursing pads
- hair elastics
- big ole undies
- toiletries stuff/brush/hair dryer if you need it
- a few sleepers and a going home outfit for baby
- camera and memory card
- snacks (raisins, granola bars, etc)
- my pillow

That's about it!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Here's what I had in my bag:

- pretty pajamas
- announcements to fill out (way before digi)
- an outfit for my baby to wear home
- clothes for me to wear home
- nursing bra
- a few changes of underwear
- baby book to work on (again back before digi)
- camera
- car seat
- diaper bag for baby
- toiletries (brush, toothbrush, shampoo, soap, lotion, etc)
- my own pillow
- any medications that I was on
- camera and film (we didn't have a digital camera 13-16 years ago)

I didn't take snacks because where I delivered had a fantastic room for the expectant daddies filled with snacks and drinks. The mommies could use it too if they delivered between meals.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via ICQ to Lukasmummy Send a message via MSN to Lukasmummy Send a message via Yahoo to Lukasmummy

Not the one to ask lol. I don't pack anything because I refuse to stay in the hospital since I usually end up so ill because of my latex allergy. I don't need anything for the baby because it will be going straight to special care and will be staying for a while. I also don't have the problem of long labours (Lukas was nearly born down a toilet and Leo didn't even make it to the hospital) so I don't need stuff for that. I suppose sometimes it works to my advantage to be a freak Hugs Crystal xx
Old 05-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Everyone already mentioned the stuff I'd bring. One addition - a manila envelope so you have a place to put little things you want to save and not get lost among the paperwork (baby's hospital bracelet, crib card, etc.)
Old 05-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Don't forget to bring food you like to eat. Containers of milk in an ice chest and a bag of Cheerios is a hospital staple for me. Plus yogurt, fruit snacks, crackers, cans of soup (the staff is always willing to heat things in the microwave for me), etc.

I never eat hospital food! Blech!

Or you can always have family/friends bring fast food or something else that's fresh to you as well. I always liked that.

I had a standard delivery the first time and it was a nightmare. I had a c-section with the second one and it was bliss compared to the first. C-section is *the* way to go, IMO. Good luck with your delivery! I hope it goes well.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh wow, my list is getting so LONG! But I figure it's better to bring more than enough than not enough!!!! But I'll probably walk out of the house with half of it!

Old 05-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Swann View Post
Don't forget to bring food you like to eat. Containers of milk in an ice chest and a bag of Cheerios is a hospital staple for me. Plus yogurt, fruit snacks, crackers, cans of soup (the staff is always willing to heat things in the microwave for me), etc.

I never eat hospital food! Blech!

Or you can always have family/friends bring fast food or something else that's fresh to you as well. I always liked that.

I had a standard delivery the first time and it was a nightmare. I had a c-section with the second one and it was bliss compared to the first. C-section is *the* way to go, IMO. Good luck with your delivery! I hope it goes well.
See, I feel the opposite lol..I had natural childbirth with DS b/c he came so fast..no epidural or anything, it wasn't fun but at least when it was over it was over..I mean I got up 15 minutes after he was born and went to the bathroom by myself. I had a section with DD and OMYGOSH...I have never been that sore in my life and I hated not being able to just get up and do stuff myself kwim?

I think everyone pretty much covered all the things I brought with me..I like Misty's idea of the manila envelope b/c I had a hard time keeping up with important paperwork and stuff.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I have nothing to add other than CASH. I never ever carry cash.. and with my hospital, the birth certificate fee has to be paid in cash. No other options. I *knew* this and STILL sent my purse home with someone after he was born. Luckily my dad was there and was able to pay for it.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Camera, laptop, nice bath and body lotion, robe and pajamas and of course cute outfit for the baby.

Creating for Kristin Cronin-Barrow,Kay Miller, Shabby Miss Jehn, Kitty Design, K Studio, Ju Kneipp, Kaye Winiecki.

Seaside by Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I brought my pillow, a boppy, an outfit for the baby, a camera, my favorite snacks and a list of places that deliver (the hospital food seriously sucked. I had DH bring me an Egg McMuffin & coffee every morning & dinner most nights. Horrible food, just horrible)
Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

To everyone else's I'd add: a blanket or two. It was FREEZING in the hospital and DH and I fought over the blanket. When when went to check out, we found the drawer with the extra ones!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo_Bryn

You know what? I hated having the boppy and my pillow... so I brought my body pillow (with a furry cover from target - LOVE) and used it SO much!! I used it as my nursing pillow and my "comfort" pillow. My baby was in NICU, so I didn't get to have him in my room.

Also... and I'm probably going to get slammed for this...
bring some tylenol.
Sometimes they cut you off before your pain threshold has been quelled. I had to toss in an extra tylenol or two on top of the darvocet and motrin they'd give me. >.< (Alright, ladies, start yelling)
Old 05-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo_Bryn View Post
Also... and I'm probably going to get slammed for this...
bring some tylenol.
Sometimes they cut you off before your pain threshold has been quelled. I had to toss in an extra tylenol or two on top of the darvocet and motrin they'd give me. >.< (Alright, ladies, start yelling)
Sounds like a good plan to me! Once I find out what they're going to give me for meds (so I don't mix anything!) I remember with my first c-section, they'd make me ask for it and they wouldn't bring it right away! Omg! I was in a lot of pain too! I've heard that it isn't so bad the 2nd time around, I really hope that's true!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I've had 4 c-sections (all planned). I never brought much.
I had clothes for me because I HATE hospital gowns. I changed into my sweats and a comfy t-shirt as soon as the catheter came out and I could take a shower (none of the clothes were ruined either...I still wear the same sweats and it's been 8/9 years).
personal grooming stuff (deodorant, shower gel, tooth brush, etc)
a book to read or notepad to doodle on for them times I couldn't sleep (not that there were many because I was so drowsy from the drugs most of the time)
camera
coming home stuff for the baby
and most importantly...a pillow. I had to have my pillow because there never seemed to be enough at the hospital.
When my 3rd child was born my husband also brought donuts. She was born at the same hospital that I had my son at the year before and they starved me. He was born at noon on a Monday and I didn't get soup until the next morning and didn't get solid food until the next lunch after that. All I ate for 2 1/2 days was 3 bowls of broth and 3 jello cups. I lost 15lbs while in the hospital (was there 4 days) and was so weak I couldn't lift my son or get out of bed. I hated that place. So when I had my dd my husband brought me Krispy Kremes as soon as I felt I was ready to eat them (the next day before lunch).
my blog ~ my Flickr
Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Pj's, slippers, books, cell phone, snacks, baby album, camera, nursing bras, toiletries, sanitary pads, my own pillow and blanket, babies going home outfit....

I think I was so excited I had my bag ready a month before the kiddos came out!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I'll be putting my bag together this weekend (or most of it anyway).
I don't know if I'll be able to have my cell phone with me because when I went for my pre-op today, I noticed a huge sign before the maternity ward saying "turn off your cell phones" cuz of the monitoring. Sigh! I don't wanna pay extra to have the phone turned on! Sheesh!

When I had my son (in a different hospital) we had to pay extra for the tv and the phone- I stayed there about 10 days and the bill was like $300 just for that!!!! We didn't use the phone to call out because they'd charge extra for long-distance (we were an hour away from home).... but I had Nick go out to the halls outside the maternity ward to call people on his cell phone!

I'm getting so excited! A little nervous about the surgery, but since I've been thru it before I know what to expect! But I'm realizing how much I have to do before the baby's born! Yikes!!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

OMG - I've never heard of a hospital charging to watch TV. Geesh - if it weren't for the TV in my room when I had my son, I would have never gotten hooked on Top Chef.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but don't forget lip balm if your lips get dry - mine always get that way in hospitals, even with all of that water they leave in your room.

Good luck with everything - bet you're super excited!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I didn't read through all the responses, but I also packed some newborn size diapers. My hospital had Huggies there, but they were size 1, and Ava was so tiny, they didn't fit. So I put the newborns on her until I could talk to a nurse who found me the appropriate size.

Onesies are nice too. The outfits they have for babies aren't very cute, and it was nice to have something pink and sweet on her when we had visitors.

Hmmm, what else?
~ a book (for when you don't have visitors & baby is sleeping)
~ thank you cards (for any gifts you may get in the hospital)
~ journal / pen
~ List of contacts to share good news

Huge fan of: