Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Christmas presents ideas??

I am at a total loss this year as to what to buy my kids for Christmas...so what are you all planning to get your little ones?

DS is 4 1/2 and DD will be just over a year this Christmas...Ella is proving doubly hard b/c her birthday is on the 10th. I'm getting her an Anywhere Chair from Pottery Barn for her b-day b/c DS got one for his 2nd b-day and he still uses it every day...right now they both fight over his lol so she's getting one of her very own but other than that I have no clue what to get a 1 year old girl lol...

Avery wants this Rocky the Robot Truck but I'm hesitant to buy it b/c I don't know how much he'd really play with something like that.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My DD1 (3 1/2) wants that Rocky the Robot Truck too...but I don't want to pay that much for something she wont get much use out of, but I found a more cartoony one at Walmart for $20, so she is getting that one. Lilly is 15 months, and one of the things I got her is a little Sesame Street drum set at Walmart yesterday fro $20. It is hard to buy for her, because she really can just play with all of Ava's old toys. But the things she loves the most of Ava's are a simple set of block, and anything that makes noise LOL.

How about board books? Ava loved (and still does) the board books by Sandra Boynton, like these HERE

How about a Little People set? That is something she will get lots of use out of as she gets older.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I am at a loss as well...the only thing I picked up was a little play doh set and some wheels for Wii Mario Kart {got oldest DS 8 mario Kart for xmas}....
Old 11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just bought this Melissa and Doug treehouse playset on Woot. For today only its $59.99 (comes to $70 with tax and shipping). I think my son will really like it - it has very good reviews regarding durability and kids interest in playing with it!

Amazon is selling it currently for $102 (free shipping).

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh, also what about a toy kitchen? It wont be long before she is playing pretend!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

wow - I've never seen that Rocky the Robot before?!

i saw ads for Chuck the truck...but missed Rocky the Robot! hmmm...might suggest this to the grandparents as a gift for DS!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How about a Lego set? That's what my kids are getting.

I also always buy them Christmas pyjamas and DVDs.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My kids all loved this and it went through three kids and was still going strong so I gave it to my neice after she was about a year old. My daughter got it when she was a year old and I think I gave it to my neice it was like 12 years old at least

This also is something my kids loved. They had a different one but they all loved playing in it

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by jessica31876; 11-11-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Avalynne is older than Ella by about a year but some of these would work for her I think.

When Ava was 1 year, I got her a Fisher Price barn and she LOVED it. She still plays with it regularly. They have some really cute Princess Castle sets that would be cute!

Fisher Price Say Please Tea Set (SO cute and Ava plays with it every single day)

Play Kitchen
Leap Frog Fridge Farm (Ava loves this one a lot!!)
Shape Sorter

Huge fan of:

Old 11-11-2009, 07:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Here's what I'm getting the kids for Christmas.

Christmas 2009

Cooper's big gift, well Keira's too I guess is a train table.

I still will probably get Keira one more thing, but I don't know what.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

L.J. is 4 and I'm getting him the Imaginext Castle. He already has the Batcave and plays with it every day.

Other than that, I don't have many ideas yet. My parents got all the grandboys Disney passes so I also picked up a Disney lanyard with the pins starter kit so they can start trading pins over the next year there. (but if you're not near Disney that won't help you I guess).

Old 11-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got my mom to buy Kaylee (4) the new Uno Moo game. It looks cute and easy for her to play! I got her a costume (75% off at WalMart!), Moxie doll, and a new bedset with matching valance because since the move, her bedding doesn't match the room anymore. She'll be getting some books and clothes from others.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Tracy, I was wanting to get that Imaginext Castle for my son who is 5 1/2. I hope he's not too old for it? What do you guys think?

As for my DD, she is getting a huge huge dollhouse that (shhh) is getting passed down from a relative. I hope I can find room in her bedroom for it. LOL!

I got them the movie UP. I am in need for a couple more (little) ideas.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

At 1, my son's favorite toys were (also anything Little People):

He's 3 now and he will be getting 2 Thomas trains he really wants for his huge collection (Sir Handel & Peter Sam) and an electric drum set.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I just did a little shopping and got Abby a little soft doll...she LOVES dolls, any kind...got Ben a Nerf football {$10}...got Peyton a Fisher Price durable digital camera {Abby got one last year and still lugs it around {she is 3 now}...also got the Movie UP and Transformers 2 {for DD 16}...got some fun little bubble bath things too {Princess and Spongebob}....also got Peyton this Leap Frog for the fridge...

what about these ideas:
Leapster {for reading}
Durable Digi Camera
Games {Abby and Peyton love Hi Ho Cherrio}
Baby Stroller {Abby has had one for about 2 years and LOVES it, even Peyton plays with it!!!}

Abby and Peyton got this last year and love it!

this has also been a BIG HIT in our house!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Great! I'm getting some ideas now..

I think half of my problem is that I'm so tired of him getting something I think he will love and then he hardly touches it...plus I just got rid of a TON of toys that DS never played with at all.

He got a train table when he was 2 and it was a HUGE hit but he seems to be outgrowing his train phase b/c he rarely pulls them out anymore..he's into hot wheels cars right now but the sets that come with them seem so flimsy and I hate sets that I have to keep reassembling for him...

what about playmobil sets? anyone have them? I'm thinking about one of those or maybe this...

Poor Ella..I've never bought her one toy other than like rattles and things her entire life lol..she's just made do with hand-me-downs for big brother..I thought about a play kitchen but I think we'll wait til next year on that one b/c she'll probably enjoy it more in a year or so.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My son is 4.5y. We will be getting the Tabletop Air Hockey from Pottery Barn for him (but we really are thinking of it as a family gift, something we can do together). He'll also be getting one of the Lego City sets and some Transformers.

I don't know about Mya who will be two Dec. 5th. We are considering a glider-style bike or tricycle. She loved playing with these plush sets at Pottery Barn, but they seem spendy for fabric toys (they are adorable though aren't they?).

I might end up getting her a kitchen set. She loves to play with her brother on his train set, but he claims rights to all the trains, so I'll likely get her an engine or two she can all her own.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
Poor Ella..I've never bought her one toy other than like rattles and things her entire life lol..she's just made do with hand-me-downs for big brother..I thought about a play kitchen but I think we'll wait til next year on that one b/c she'll probably enjoy it more in a year or so.
Ha this is totally Mya too! I didn't worry about it too much until about 6 months ago, someone gave her a baby doll and she carried that thing around for weeks like she'd won the lottery. Now she feeds it, rocks it, puts it to bed, it's so funny watching my baby play 'mommy'.

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post is that we are putting together a 'dress-up' box for Mya. It's just a bin filled with old purses, jewelry, sunglasses and bits of costumes I've collected over the past year from my stuff and her grandmothers, but right now she drapes herself in fabric scraps from my craft bin, so this will be an upgrade.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oooh, Vanessa i love that train set better than the one from Target i was going to get. i'd have to drive an hour to the closest ToysRUs (don't want to pay $30 for shipping, lol) but it looks neater and i think comes with more stuff. i say its for Aidan but the girls will play with it too so its sort of for all of them i guess.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My kids (4 and 2) don't play with toys. I mean, hardly at all. They play with blocks, playsilks, dressup stuff, and boardgames. They play with each other a lot. (Tag, hide and seek, building forts, stuff like that). So we're toning it way down this year. I got them some new playsilks, which they play with EVERY day. Some books. My 4 year old girl is getting a few board games, I just haven't decided on which yet, and a big bucket of craft supplies, and the unicorn webkinz since she's slightly obsessed with unicorns. My son is getting some plush dinosaurs and an expander pack for his train set. And both are getting some books. We bought our family a big TV since our old one is nearly dead as a whole family gift, and that will be great.

My Etsy Shop
Proud to be creating for :
Old 11-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i just ordered 3 of these for my kids. she had a family pack of 3 with all the crayons, doodle pad and 6 handmade jumbo star crayons for $36, free shipping. i have been wanting to get them these for awhile; they love to color and this way they can take them with them. i chose a truck pattern for Aidan, and the girls get that pretty princess pattern. i can't wait to see them!
Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I thought about a play kitchen but I think we'll wait til next year on that one b/c she'll probably enjoy it more in a year or so.
I think thats a good idea Nikki... we got Ava a Step 2 Play Kitchen this summer (when she was 1 1/2) and she is using it lots - every day... she is old enough now that she uses her imagination and makes me all kinds of things to eat! Its SO cute! I know she wouldn't have had very much fun with it if she was only 10 months old.

Huge fan of:

Old 11-12-2009, 01:43 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

what about playmobil sets? anyone have them?
My son has a bunch of the pirate playmobil sets. He is 6 1/2 years old and still loves them. In fact, he asked for the Egyptian set for this Christmas. Seriously, they have a ton of different themes and they are so fun! I think your son would love it. But... they have a million little parts that might be too little for your daughter. The people themselves would be fine, but they have tiny accessories for all the Playmobile sets.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:49 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My 5 yr old loves playmobil! He's played with them for at least a year now. The only thing you have to worry about is there are LOTS of little tini pieces with the sets, which maybe are dangerous around other little ones.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My son is also 4 1/2, and we got him a train table and train set for his big gift. We also got him an interactive robot that teaches all sorts of things and plays games.

Good luck!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

These wooden blocks were a great hit with all three of my kids.

They get Hot Wheels each year too. THey never tire of them. They sell a carpet with roads forthem that is fun.

My 5 year-old son never really cared for Playmobil. He prefers construction/blocks types of games.

My two older DS are getting this craft set. Strings covered with wax, that you can bend, mold, etc. It seems so cool!

ETA: my older son (5 and a half years old) just loves these books... The Mr Men/little Miss collection. I always put some in his stocking.

Last edited by nanienamou; 11-12-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

When Camden was 4 we bought him a Leapster, and he still plays with it (and he's 6 now). It was the best gift ever!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My kids love playmobil too. Kaja (7) is starting to grow out of it now I think, but she still plays with them with her sister (3). They also both love lego. Sara (3) is really into cars and trains at the moment, and she loves lightening mcqueen. She also loves pots and pans, but not the toy ones, she goes in the kitchen and pulls out mine

They both like to play with playdough, and they love books and puzzles.

Sara also loves her doll and pram, and a shopping trolley, she is always pushing something around.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis View Post
When Camden was 4 we bought him a Leapster, and he still plays with it (and he's 6 now). It was the best gift ever!
Oh yes...Avery got one for his birthday this year and he plays with it just about every day...I picked up a couple of games at toysrus last week...they were on sale for 18.49 each..I think they still may be on sale. But those will go in his stocking and I also got him the little carrying case for it..He LOVES his leapster

Old 11-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Oh yes...Avery got one for his birthday this year and he plays with it just about every day...I picked up a couple of games at toysrus last week...they were on sale for 18.49 each..I think they still may be on sale. But those will go in his stocking and I also got him the little carrying case for it..He LOVES his leapster
We're getting Emma one for Christmas this year, so I am SO glad to hear this.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Great! I'm getting some ideas now..

I think half of my problem is that I'm so tired of him getting something I think he will love and then he hardly touches it...plus I just got rid of a TON of toys that DS never played with at all.
THIS is exactly why I had this giant hissy fit a while back and sent my entire family an email. I had HAD it with the crap everywhere. My kids are not getting regular toys this year. They are getting clothes, books, leapster games and educational stuff.. like Melissa & Doug toys. HISSY. FIT. Not even kidding.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

C is getting this step 2 train table. we like it because he can also use it with his cars.. and it has a cover so it can be used for other purposes also. it will be in his bedroom since we already have 2 big toys in the playroom (step 2 kitchen and playhouse).

he's also getting these dinosaurs because he's obsessed right now.

other than that, i have no clue! i really need to step it up since his b-day is 12.10 but i'm having trouble coming up with more ideas. we always get him books and he needs a new pair of slippers. i dunno. and i'm driving my family crazy because they're asking for ideas and i don't know what to tell them.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I forgot to mention that my kids are getting the Zhu Zhu Pets too. That will be something they can play together.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

If you're looking for a really good non-toy idea I really suggest the Anywhere Chair at Pbkids...

We got Avery's nearly 3 years ago and I'm not kidding it has been one of the best things we've ever purchased for him. They are really well made too..I've washed the cover countless times and it has held up wonderfully and has never faded at all. This will be E's b-day present this year b/c she wants to sit in/climb on her big brothers all the time lol But he uses it to watch TV in, play his games, read his books, seriously it's one purchase I've never regretted.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

OMG...I think I am going to have to get Abby and Peyton each one of those chairs....you can't beat the price!!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 12:35 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

if anyone is looking for suggestions on leapster games for that preschool/pre-K age, I REALLY recommend Letters on the Loose and Counting on Zero. My son has played them for over 2 years and learned his letters and numbers and learned to write them really well.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm pretty much done with shopping for our kiddos, I have most of what they're getting listed on their Kaboodle wish list (and some other ideas for family members too). My girls were super easy this year, they both wanted American Girl dolls/outfits and Moxie Girlz dolls so that is what they are getting along with 4 new Webkinz each (got them all on clearance @ Dillards for under $5 each) and then each a new set of books that I ordered from their Scholastic book orders at school. Some of the things Kyle is getting aren't on the internet so I couldn't add them. But he's also getting several small motorcycles (they're like $3 @ Walmart) and two different Spiderman toys (one with a motorcycle and one with a three wheeler) and a set of dinosaur board books from Scholastic and a Webkinz pony. He was actually pretty easy too - he's into dinosaurs, Diego, Toy Story, Spiderman & horses so he's covered on all those lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linz View Post
he's also getting these dinosaurs because he's obsessed right now.
This looks really fun, Kyle is 2.5 and loves dinosaurs too so I'll be sending this to my MIL as an idea for him!
Old 11-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love these ideas! I've sent several to my husband for us to think about.

Here's the kaboodle list for my 4-year-old girl and 3-year-old boy:
http://www.kaboodle.com/cheltzey/kat...wish-list.html

And here's the list for my 1-year-old girl:
http://www.kaboodle.com/cheltzey/averis-wishlist.html

Old 11-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

For anyone considering a toy kitchen, Little Tykes has this one on sale right now, $59 instead of $109. I'm driving myself nuts trying to decide whether to order it for Lauren's birthday (12/26). I know she's too young and I'm trying to convince myself to wait another year, but she loves to stand and play at the boys' workshop. They don't use it anymore, and if I got her a kitchen to stand at we could probably get rid of the workshop.

I know that Jason (6) is getting some educational videos (he LOVES the Popular Mechanics for Kids videos), supplies for playing school, a set of magic tricks, and some Legos.

Ben (3.5) is getting some new Thomas stuff (probably buildings or bridges) and a matchbox racecar track (something like this) that needs no assembly. The ones Jason has would be way too hard for Ben. I need more for him, but he's hard to buy for right now. I think we're going to get him a Leapster for his birthday in March.

Lauren (1 in December) will be getting a Little People doll house. I will probably "recycle" some of the boys old toys for her, wrapping them up and everything. She doesn't know the difference yet, and I don't want to buy toys we don't need when we already have so many. She got her first doll from my parents last month, so that one's covered. I'm trying to resist the urge to buy a kitchen for her birthday.

Ben had the Fridge Phonics set mentioned earlier, and it was his favorite toy for a LONG time. He knew all his letters and their sounds at age 2 because of that toy and a couple other Leap Frog ones. I'll be passing it on to Lauren this year. Ben uses this 3-letter version now.